51 replies to this topic

#21 RUSTYSMOM

RUSTYSMOM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 07:08 AM

Wow! Look how close they resemble each other. Just a shade off in color.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah they do look alike. Rusty has a darker nose but you can tell that they are brother and sister.

Attached Files

#22 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 07:27 AM

SJ, hang in there sweetie. You've been through so much with your brothers and sisters. We know that you are one tough bunch of puppies. We have you in your thoughts and prayers. Get well soon, little one. Mary ;)

Dogs don't know about beginnings, and they don't speculate on matters that occurred before their time.
Dogs also don't know-or at least don't accept-the concept of death.
With no concept of beginnings or endings, dogs probably don't know that for people, having a dog as a life companion provides a streak of light between two eternities of darkness
Stanley Coren

#23 mihalik1413

mihalik1413

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 03:40 PM

:D  :)  :D  :)  :D

Hey I know that when we first took Rusty to the vet he too thought it was Parvo  but ruled that out quickly.  So with that high count I'm think also that it's NOT Parvo.  I have to tell you that when I took Rusty to the vet last Saturday he told me something.  Knowing now that Rusty is fine he said he didn't think he was going to make it.  But heck you see what he looks like now.
I know what it's like to bring home a puppy and have it spend time in the hospital.  Rusty was in there for 4 days but in the end it was worth it.....WELL WORTH IT.  Our vet said too that with lots of love and hugs and extreme spoiling at home it is going to make for an even speedier recovery. 
So just know that Rusty and I know what you are going through and are sending you all kinds of good thoughts and well wishes and big puppy hugs.  :)
SJ is going to be fine...... :)

Love,
Rusty and Michelle

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well didn't you let Kevin and Kathy know that Rusty was sick?
They may now have a whole sick household and Lexi (SJ) may not even live through this. This is quite sadding to my wife and I as we fell in love with all of the pups and have put a ton of money into saving her life (around 2K now and counting). It is very possible that she does have parvo along with the worms and the virus (we can't rule parvo out yet). The only saving grace so far is that her White blood cells and Glucose are still up. The bad news today was that she did show blood in her stool in the morning which doesn't look real good. There is still a slim chance that it isn't parvo but we are still anxiously awaiting that news as they can't even deworm her and she hasn't kept anything in her stomach for longer then five minutes since we left Kevin's and Kathy's. The news for tonight is that she is due to spend yet another night (and possibly the whole weekend) in the 24 hr emergency hospital and all we can do right now is hope and pray. We know she's a tough pup and we're all praying for a positive outcome.

Larry and Shannon

#24 mihalik1413

mihalik1413

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 03:43 PM

Wow! Look how close they resemble each other. Just a shade off in color.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Is this a pic of SJ or Rusty?

#25 keporter

keporter

keporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 04:13 PM

That pic was of SJ.

#26 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 04:40 PM

I'm crossing all my "crossable parts" for SJ's speedy recovery. She'll be in my prayers. Be strong, little one.

Linda

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ... I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man.
-------------------------
Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Sugar Bear 06/18/2017
Shadow a/k/a Little Snoopy
SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)
Greta Von Reiman (1972-1984)

#27 RUSTYSMOM

RUSTYSMOM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 07:55 PM

Well didn't you let Kevin and Kathy know that Rusty was sick? 
They may now have a whole sick household and Lexi (SJ) may not even live through this.  This is quite sadding to my wife and I as we fell in love with all of the pups and have put a ton of money into saving her life (around 2K now and counting).  It is very possible that she does have parvo along with the worms and the virus  (we can't rule parvo out yet).  The only saving grace so far is that her White blood cells and Glucose are still up.  The bad news today was that she did show blood in her stool in the morning which doesn't look real good.  There is still a slim chance that it isn't parvo but we are still anxiously awaiting that news as they can't even deworm her and she hasn't kept anything in her stomach for longer then five minutes since we left Kevin's and Kathy's.  The news for tonight is that she is due to spend yet another night (and possibly the whole weekend) in the 24 hr emergency hospital and all we can do right now is hope and pray. We know she's a tough pup and we're all praying for a positive outcome.
Larry and Shannon

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Larry & Shannon,
I am so sorry to hear how sick Lexi is. It sounds like she has what Rusty had. Pneumonia. And to answer your question....YES I did tell them that Rusty was sick. I picked Rusty up on Saturday 2-26 and Tuesday 3-1 he was admitted into the hospital for pneumonia. He was in there for 4 days on IV's and all kinds of medicine. They too were not sure if he was going to make it but as you can see that isn't the case. When we got back from the hospital that day I placed a called to SCD and told them what was going on. I also kept them informed on a daily basis what was happening. Please don't think that I did nothing because I did. I am so very sorry to hear about Lexi. Believe me I understand completely what you are going through. I went through the same thing with Rusty and I am praying for all of you. Please know that. :)

Michelle

#28 mihalik1413

mihalik1413

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 08:55 PM

Larry & Shannon,
I am so sorry to hear how sick Lexi is.  It sounds like she has what Rusty had.  Pneumonia.  And to answer your question....YES I did tell them that Rusty was sick.  I picked Rusty up on Saturday 2-26 and Tuesday 3-1 he was admitted into the hospital for pneumonia.  He was in there for 4 days on IV's and all kinds of medicine.  They too were not sure if he was going to make it but as you can see that isn't the case.  When we got back from the hospital that day I placed a called to SCD and told them what was going on.  I also kept them informed on a daily basis what was happening.  Please don't think that I did nothing because I did.  I am so very sorry to hear about Lexi.  Believe me I understand completely what you are going through.  I went through the same thing with Rusty and I am praying for all of you.  Please know that.  :D

Michelle

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Michelle,
Thanks for your thoughts and prayers for Lexi. She is in stable condition rt now at the 24 hr hospital and will probably be there the remainder of the weekend. We just received an update on her condition and this afternoon was the first afternoon that she didn't vomit, so they were finally able to de-worm her. She has so many ailments rt now that they know it's not pneumonia, but either coccidinosis or parvo, but the two are VERY similiar in nature. And with the other bacterial and viral infections she has her best chance of survival at this pt is to remain there all weekend and probably on Monday after she is monitored by our veterinarian. I'm sorry if it seemed that we were accusing you of 'doing nothing', but I think you can understand the frustration of dealing with a sick pup. She's become quite expensive because of her conditions and we are just hoping that she pulls through this and becomes the tough puppy that we know she is. I am glad Rusty is doing so well, maybe some day he will get to see his sister and her new big brother. We will keep this msg board updated of her condition.
Once again, thanks for your prayers, she needs them.
Shannon and Larry :)

#29 keporter

keporter

keporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 09 April 2005 - 09:10 PM

Larry and Shannon,
Rusty was adopted when the pups were still at Second Chance Dobes. The kennel was getting overrun with dobes, so Kathye and I took the pups home with us to help with the population count. They were all healthy and energetic pups until SJ(Lexi) started feeling sluggish. Thirteen days ago we went to another shelter to pick up a couple dobes, while there they also had another pup (Austrailian Shepard) which we took with us. Everyone was fine until Thursday when SJ came down with her illness. We took the rest of the pups into the vet today and they tested only one for Parvo, he wasn't showing many signs except the runs. The test came back Positive for Parvo. We figure that on Easter Sunday when we got the other pup she must have been carrying it with her. Not one of the other pups including the carrier is showing signs, although they probably are positive also.
Rusty's condition was over a month ago and it was Pneumonia, which is what Gabriel the smallest black pup has been fighting. We understand being upset but what went on a month ago had nothing to do with what is going on now. Pups are so hard to keep safe and virus free, any breeder/ pet store could attest to that. I hope you know we all are just as upset with what Lexi is going through. If Kathye could change one thing, she says she would have left the other one at the other shelterif it would have kept these ones safe, but how can you tell what is safe and not sick and what isn't? It's very discouraging going to some of these shelters and seeing the multitude of dogs waiting for homes or to be put down. These last two weeks of transports have really opened our eyes to how we need to stop the breeding to make money.
Kevin

#30 mihalik1413

mihalik1413

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 04:08 PM

I stopped by the 24hr this morning and they said she has made it all day Saturday and Sunday morning without getting sick. I stopped back again around 2:30 ish and they said take her home there is nothing that we are doing here that you can't do at home. :) Unbelievable! :D I went home and picked up Shannon and Mackey and we went to get Lexi (SJ).
When we got there she was looking and acting pretty strong. We ran around the yard a bit and let her and Mackey spend a bit of time together. He mostly wanted her to play and was knocking her down while she was just staying down and letting him sniff all over her, but it seemed like he wasn't letting her play so I put him back in for a bit then we did some playing with her then put her in her cage for some water. Now she is in her cage just crying away wanting to be with him. :) I don't want her to get too over exerted so she is going to stay there for a while.
They sent us home with some meds and gave us some cans of mild dog food to feed her for a while (its mostly just rice and ground beef). But it looks like she is on her way to full recovery (we have another vet visit tomorrow with her and hopefully will get good news). She did have a runny bowel movement when we got home but I'm not too concerned with it. As I'm typing this she has been crying like a big baby wanting Mackey to stay in the room with her and when she isn't crying he is running in and out of her room wimpering for her to come out as well.
Here is a picture of them as I have typed this.
Posted Image
We just wanted to thank everyone for their thoughts and prayers for her speedy recovery. It's wonderful to finally have her home, so she may begin her new life with us. We hope that her littermates and buddies at Kevin and Kathye's make a speedy recovery as well. Enjoy her new pictures! :) :D

Lexi happily basking in the sun after her stressfull weekend. :)
Posted Image

Larry, Shannon, and family :D

#31 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 04:56 PM

Fantastic news. Those pups have shown such great heart and courage. Good luck from here on in. Mary

Dogs don't know about beginnings, and they don't speculate on matters that occurred before their time.
Dogs also don't know-or at least don't accept-the concept of death.
With no concept of beginnings or endings, dogs probably don't know that for people, having a dog as a life companion provides a streak of light between two eternities of darkness
Stanley Coren

#32 keporter

keporter

keporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 10 April 2005 - 05:05 PM

That's Great!!!

These pups have got to be the strongest willed pups I've ever saw. Rusty battled Pneumonia, Gabriel battled Pneumonia, a Staph infection, roundworm, and probably Parvo, And now Lexi fighting off Parvo/Coccidia and roundworm.
Now some have and others need those forever homes. Michelle, Larry, and Shannon, you have got to spoil the heck out of these survivors!

#33 Guest_cookie_*

Guest_cookie_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2005 - 02:14 AM

but I think you can understand the frustration of dealing with a sick pup. She's become quite expensive because of her conditions and we are just hoping that she pulls through this and becomes the tough puppy that we know she is.

Whew! I congratulate you for adopting and adding Lexi to your family. But I
feel horrible for what you've had to go through, expecting your first days t'gether
to be happy ones, rather than her spending her first days home in the hospital worrying whether she'd pull through her health issues. I'm happy to hear she's doing better!

Keeping you and Lexi in my thoughts and prayers!

cookie

#34 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 12:24 PM

Everyone was fine until Thursday when SJ came down with her illness. We took the rest of the pups into the vet today and they tested only one for Parvo, he wasn't showing many signs except the runs. The test came back Positive for Parvo. We figure that on Easter Sunday when we got the other pup she must have been carrying it with her. Not one of the other pups including the carrier is showing signs, although they probably are positive also.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And everyone else may be fine... It could just be the stress of moving around yet again that can set everything off or made it worse, remember... We know we are adopting them into their furever homes. They know they are with strangers in a strange environment with potentially "dangerous" dogs or cats yet again... They only live in the moment and that moment is "changes again" and can be very scary... I have a lot of "gastrointestinal" problems with Bella for that very same reason... She loves to go places but they are stressful and somewhat scary for her and then "Squirt - The Wonder Dog" appears and we are back on ID or rice/hamburger... Although sometimes I think she does it just to get the special treatment and diet. :)

Glad to hear that everyone is doing well and home again...

Joni
Emmalin Jane, George, Clyde, and Rascal (meow & hiss)
From the Bridge - Cosmo (12/2005), Katie (7/2006), Mr. Munchkin (11/2008), Bella DSA, CGC (1/2009), Skitter DSA (12/2010), Beau (11/2014), and Calvin (6/2017)

"The world of the generous gets larger and larger... The on who blesses other is abundantly blessed; those who help other are helped." Proverbs 11:24-25

"They that sow in tears shall reap in joy" Psalms 126:5

#35 mihalik1413

mihalik1413

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 05:05 PM

Well it looks like Lexi (SJ) is going to beat Parvo, Coccyidia, and Round worm. :D We left the vet this morning with a fist full of meds and a bunch of smiles. :) Here is another picture of the Sexy survivior...
Posted Image

Oh don't let me forget to give credit to her new best friend, protector and big brother.
Posted Image

Them sharing at his bowl, I thought this was cute the way he seems to be mothering her. He even brings toys and sticks, in the yard, to her so they can play tug of war together. I can't wait till she gets some more strength and grows a bit more.

Posted Image

I have IM'd Kathye and Kevin telling them the good news and told them I hope the rest of the dogs they have do as well as she did.

Again many thanks for your thoughts and prayers they appear to have made a big impact. :)

Larry

#36 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 05:29 PM

Ahhhhh, they are just soooooo precious together. Thanks for giving us the good news and for posting these great pictures! :)
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#37 Guest_cookie_*

Guest_cookie_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2005 - 06:32 PM

Here is another picture of the Sexy survivior...

Too cute!

So happy to hear she's doing better!

cookie

#38 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 06:43 PM

What wonderful news! Now maybe all of you can just enjoy each other. Spoil her rotten, okay?

Linda :)

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ... I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man.
-------------------------
Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Sugar Bear 06/18/2017
Shadow a/k/a Little Snoopy
SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)
Greta Von Reiman (1972-1984)

#39 mihalik1413

mihalik1413

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 07:40 PM

What wonderful news!  Now maybe all of you can just enjoy each other.  Spoil her rotten, okay?
Linda  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Linda,
If you ever meet my dogs you can ask them how spoiled they are. :) Very. :D
Since she is feeling better we are going to start working on her eating and bathroom times. We have a lot to do in a short time, she is way behind (but she seems to be pretty smart and Mackey is very smart so hopefully he will help in training her some). I have temporarily switched to days for the remainder of the week. Told my boss it was for a project I'm working on. :) :) I didn't tell him it was her. :D Anyway at night I will be keeping her crated as if we are at work if at all possible. Today I let her out at 5:00, that seems to be her bathroom time. Then at 7:00 and 8:00 when Shannon came home for dinner. She pooped again! Yay! Now I will keep her in there till about 11:00 ish the time I usually get home. Hopefully we can get her switched around quick. Tomorrow we will start feeding her a little more hard puppy food with the soft. Her insides seem to be handling it real well (her poops are getting more solid).
A little side note. I put up a temp fence between the garage and the house till she learns her boundries and she ran around the garage and went to the side door anyways. :) She has the going to the side door part down pat. I think she is still looking for her brothers and sisters because when she comes in she is looking for something and she really wants to go upstairs (Kathye and Kevin let the pups play upstairs and she remembers it). But I just wanted to share what a smart little dog she seems to be. Kevin and Kathye said she seemed smart and sits and trys to figure stuff out, they were definitely right on that. Well good night all enjoy your pets! :D

Larry

#40 Guest_cookie_*

Guest_cookie_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 April 2005 - 08:12 PM

Larry,

Congrats! Sounds as though everything's going to work out and she has a wonderful family!

cookie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users