227 replies to this topic

#1 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 08:00 PM

I'm trying to formulate a layout for the cookbook. But, before I do that, I need to know if SCD members are still interested in participating???? If we don't have enough material to work with, it will be a futile effort.

So, if those of you that have some interest could post here, it would help me get a grasp on the situation. The sooner, the better. I'm in back-to-back trials at work, and I have a huge criminal transcript due 3/19. Plus, I'm doing expedited in the hearings we're involved in right now. So, I need to be able to plan my time.

I know originally a meeting was set at SCD the weekend of April 1 - April 2. If I could get some recipes and some graphics (plus some bios on the adopters and the adoptees), I could try to have a rough layout to bring with me, if we still plan on meeting the aforementioned weekend.

Some of the categories could be:

Appetizers
Breads
Salads
Entrees
Desserts

Also, if anyone has recipes for homemade treats, toppings for kibble, etc.,
we could have a section devoted to that.

Feel free to jump in here and add your own ideas. I can use all the help you have to offer!!

Send your graphics and text to: atlas520@centurytel.net. Please save your text in RTF format, and your photos as JPGs.

I'm looking forward to hear from you. :D

Linda

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ... I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man.
-------------------------
Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Sugar Bear 06/18/2017
Shadow a/k/a Little Snoopy
SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)
Greta Von Reiman (1972-1984)

#2 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 08:53 PM

You know, sometimes I get caught up in the details. Why not just e-mail the recipes to me along with the graphics? Forget the RTF. Same with the bio - unless some members plan on coming to the meeting and have their info and recipes on a floppy. You can even PM the info to me here on the SCD board. Whatever it takes to make it easier for all involved :D

Linda

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ... I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man.
Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)

#3 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 09:13 PM

Wait til you see some of Jane's and my recipes. Oh Lordie! Neither of us can cook. Jane can read and I can't even do that. We shall try hard. Honest.
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#4 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 10:53 PM

Linda,

I'm still interested in participating. :) Do you have specific questions for the bio that you would like us to answer? Or, do you just want us to tell the story(ies) of our adopted SCD dog(s)? If this is the case, we should probably set a limit on the number of words. I think this is a good idea especially for those of us who have the tendency to write too much. :D Setting a limit would would avoid having to go back and edit to make it fit.

Cheryl

P.S. I like to edit and proof read.

Edited by CAB, 14 February 2006 - 10:56 PM.

The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#5 Melissa34

Melissa34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 06:46 AM

I am still interested. I can help provide recipes - any category or all!

Also, will help in any other way that I can.
Melissa
If you pick up a starving Dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man..." -- Mark Twain

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. -Roger Caras

#6 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 07:49 AM

I'll contribute something as well. Let me know if you need any help with the design/graphics. :D
Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

#7 bumpster

bumpster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 08:18 AM

We're interested and will send some receipes.
John and Lori
You think dogs will not be in heaven?
I tell you, they will be there long before any of us.
-Robert Lewis Stevenson-

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit,
you would stay out and your dog would go in.
-Mark Twain-

#8 dobes4ever

dobes4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 12:31 PM

We are also interested and can drop them bye your house or PM them to you. I think there should be a limit on the size of the bios on the adopters and the adoptees.

Mike & Peg
Mike & Peg
Gretta
& Kloee the cat!
!

RV Innovations, LLC
RV Decks & Supplies
On-Line Store Coming Soon

#9 ella

ella

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 04:41 PM

I'm also still interested but I don't cook either. but I have a million cookbooks so I can find something and take credit for it. HaHa
Ella - mother of Princess and Bonnie Blue

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
-Josh Billings

#10 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 05:51 PM

Wait til you see some of Jane's and my recipes.  Oh Lordie!  Neither of us can cook.  Jane can read and I can't even do that.  We shall try hard.  Honest.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

They aren't supposed to know that till AFTER they try the recipe....

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#11 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 05:52 PM

Thanks, you guys, for the quick response! I agree about the bios. Maybe a picture or two of you and your furkids, and a story about how you came to find each other at SCD, and your "forever homes" -- or whatever ideas anyone else has to offer :D

With QuarkXPress, I can pretty well fit most anything on a page. What do you think about facing pages, i.e., the recipe on one side and the bios on the other? Or, we could devote a section to just bios and pictures, and have the recipes in their own section alone.

Arda, since this is your "baby," so to speak, whose picture would you like on the cover? There are so many that have touched your heart . . . think about it.

I'm excited. I think this could be a cool project.

Also, do you still want to meet in April. I think we had initially decided on that Sunday, the 2nd. I'll leave it up to all of you as to what's convenient for the majority. My work schedule is off the hook. There is no day better than another for me.

Linda

Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)

#12 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 05:53 PM

Let me know if you need any help with the design/graphics.  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Of course we need your help! Do you have any ideas for the cover???
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#13 dobes4ever

dobes4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 06:54 PM

Maybe we can use something like the sticker for the front cover....just a thought.
Mike & Peg
Gretta
& Kloee the cat!
!

RV Innovations, LLC
RV Decks & Supplies
On-Line Store Coming Soon

#14 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 07:22 PM

Maybe we can use something like the sticker for the front cover....just a thought.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that is o.k. BUT, Mandy, does wonders when it comes to graphics :D

I, for one, will need any help I can get when it comes to graphics :w00t:
Not to mention, recipes :)

I think, I will steal a recipe from my husband or grandma. :flower:

Whatever I can help with I will. :flower:

Cath
<span style='color:green'>"<span style='font-family:Optima'>The dog has seldom been succesful in pulling man up to its level of sagacity, but man has frequently dragged the dog down to his" </span>James Thurber</span>

#15 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 07:32 PM

Great ideas! Yes, Mandy is the Graphics Queen, that's for sure. We most assuredly can use her assistance.

Big thank you to John and Lori Bump. They e-mailed a large number of recipes - and some for the critters, as well. They all look delicious, too.

Thank you all. Keep the suggestions coming.

Linda

Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)

#16 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 10:19 PM

Wait til you see some of Jane's and my recipes. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You must be referring to your witche's brew recipe.

Posted Image

-Arda Barber

#17 Vicki_Wood

Vicki_Wood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 10:16 AM

I was out yesterday, but still want to be involved. Here is a quick and absolutely delicious h'dorvs (spelling?)

One package hot sausage, Jimmy Dean or whatever.
Fry and drain grease.
Mix with one large package cream cheese.
Get mushrooms and clean and take out stems
Stuff with sausage and cream cheese mixture.
Bake in 350 oven until mushroom are soft; maybe 10 min.

To die for.

#18 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 07:45 PM

Thanks, Vicki. The mushrooms sound easy and sooo delectable. Thanks for the input.

Linda

Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)

#19 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 09:37 PM

Just a note. I've discovered that the best way to transmit the recipes, is to copy and paste them into the body of an e-mail. If you send them as an attachment, sometimes they are difficult to open. This small detail would definitely accelerate the entire project. Thank you, again, to all those sharing their culinary skills!

Linda

Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)

#20 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 11:07 AM

Linda I have a ton of recipes... Any special categories??? I have main dishes, desserts, cookies, cakes... I can just bring a bunch of them in April if that works... or we can get together for lunch one day soon and go over them then...

Maybe we could get the salsa recipe from Mexican Village!!! :D :) :w00t:

Edited by jmnodwell, 17 February 2006 - 11:07 AM.

Joni
Emmalin Jane, George, Clyde, and Rascal (meow & hiss)
From the Bridge - Cosmo (12/2005), Katie (7/2006), Mr. Munchkin (11/2008), Bella DSA, CGC (1/2009), Skitter DSA (12/2010), Beau (11/2014), and Calvin (6/2017)

"The world of the generous gets larger and larger... The on who blesses other is abundantly blessed; those who help other are helped." Proverbs 11:24-25

"They that sow in tears shall reap in joy" Psalms 126:5

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users