27 replies to this topic

#1 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 10:56 AM

:o You know - I've been paranoid about this - and mine have eaten some of the craziest things ...

One of them has a "cuz ball foot" on board. I don't know which one - but I'm guessing Westley.

If you're not familiar - cuz balls are heavy rubber squeaky balls with feet (and sometimes horns). The feet are solid rubber and measure about an inch and a half long, an inch wide and half an inch thick.

What things should I be watching for if there is an obstruction? I'm guessing off food and vomiting / no b.m.'s. Anything else? They were both normal this morning and both had normal poops.

I didn't want to induce vomiting since I didn't want it to get stuck coming up. Should I give them a laxative or oil?

You know ... they've had these balls for almost a year. I bought them at the Chatham show. I never even thought twice about them and then last night after parent teacher interviews during Grey's Anatomy - one of them decides he should ingest a solid rubber foot.... :D :hug: :Kiss: I know there's probably nothing I can do but wait - but if there's anything else. Please let me know. :flower:
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

SCD's Shooting Star "Stella" - We will work on titles. :)
Vixenvale Kingston's Warren - Kingston (2006-2017)
SCD's Black Tie Affair "Tux" - PCD, CGN, CGC (2004-2015)
Can CH Jimary Jack's Are High "Jack" (Pug) - PCD

#2 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 11:33 AM

If there's a blockage somewhere, the dog will show obvious signs of stomach cramping (back hunched up and occassional stretching of the body in an effort to help their tummy feel better). The dog will not be able to have a bowel movement but may try in order to move the blockage out (nothing will come out, obviously). The dog will also begin to vomit. It may begin as undigested food as the food is not moving through the GI tract and therefore does not get broken down. They may drink a lot of water and will also vomit up the water. Once all of the food in their system has been vomitted, they'll begin to vomit a brown mucousy fluid that has somewhat of a pungent odor--almost like the smell of feces. By this time, the dog will be showing very obvious signs of discomfort. They may act lethargic as if they aren't feeling well. They will probably run a fever as well.

It's very, very important to recognize symptoms of a blockage and take action as soon as possible to help decreases the chances of severe intestinal damage.
Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

#3 brownsmom

brownsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 06:58 AM

Update, Stef?

Oh, and of COURSE they would do that after P/T night - because all you wanted to to was pass out - they have super timing that way!

Honey Locust Hills On A Wing and A Prayer  DCAT CA (Faith),  Honey Locust Hills Little Leap of Faith DCAT (Hop),   Honey Locust Hills Notorious B.I.G CA DCAT (Big)  and UKC CHTurkhaven's Notorious RBG CA DCAT(Ruth) 

"Love is everything it's cracked up to be. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for." Erica Jong.   In memory: SCD Where's the Beef, CGC (1995-September 20, 2008); Athena's Dark Angel (May 1, 2009 - November 17, 2011); Second Chance Bow to Me CGC, RN (?-July 3, 2012); Second Chance Brownie Zipper CGC, RN (2000-September 23, 2013) SCD Catch Me If You Can  (2006 - May 3, 2016) DPRRM Sapphire Hidden Treasure, CGC (December 1, 2005- December 5, 2016)  SCD Watchful Princess ( - 2018) C-ATCH  CS-ATCH4 CS-ATE SCD Some Roads Are Rocky CGC, NA, NAJ, AXP, MJP2, OPF (October 10, 2005 - September 10, 2019)  C-ATCH5 PACH2 Shadow's On Eagles Wings, BCAT, CGC, TKI, NA, NAJ, XFP,  MJP2, MJPB, MXP3. MXPB, T2BP, PAX (Gabe) October 23, 2011 - May 26 2020)

UKC CH Ashtrick N Kettle Cove Irish Royalty, OA, OAJ, OAP, AJP, NF, OFP, CAA, CGC, SPOT, TKI, FCAT (March 4,  2015- July 29, 2022)

#4 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 07:29 AM

When it rains it pours.... :Kiss:

:o No foot so far and everyone is their happy annoying selves...We've had normal bm's twice a day as usual. I've ripped the house apart on the off chance that they just "dropped" it somewhere but it's nowhere to be found. The vet's office said stuff can sit in the stomach for weeks - but the last time we had a scare - Tux was throwing up within about 12 hours of ingesting. (He disassembled a rope toy then ate it. We were SO lucky that he threw it up.)

I love my dogs, I love my dogs, I love my dogs ... If I keep telling myself that then maybe I'll believe it :D ... *laughing*

I'll keep you posted... :flower:
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

#5 brownsmom

brownsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 08:45 AM

Of course you love them, or you wouldn't put up with them! :flower:

And just wait until the day you have a bm with a little foot sticking out of it!

Honey Locust Hills On A Wing and A Prayer  DCAT CA (Faith),  Honey Locust Hills Little Leap of Faith DCAT (Hop),   Honey Locust Hills Notorious B.I.G CA DCAT (Big)  and UKC CHTurkhaven's Notorious RBG CA DCAT(Ruth) 

"Love is everything it's cracked up to be. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for." Erica Jong.   In memory: SCD Where's the Beef, CGC (1995-September 20, 2008); Athena's Dark Angel (May 1, 2009 - November 17, 2011); Second Chance Bow to Me CGC, RN (?-July 3, 2012); Second Chance Brownie Zipper CGC, RN (2000-September 23, 2013) SCD Catch Me If You Can  (2006 - May 3, 2016) DPRRM Sapphire Hidden Treasure, CGC (December 1, 2005- December 5, 2016)  SCD Watchful Princess ( - 2018) C-ATCH  CS-ATCH4 CS-ATE SCD Some Roads Are Rocky CGC, NA, NAJ, AXP, MJP2, OPF (October 10, 2005 - September 10, 2019)  C-ATCH5 PACH2 Shadow's On Eagles Wings, BCAT, CGC, TKI, NA, NAJ, XFP,  MJP2, MJPB, MXP3. MXPB, T2BP, PAX (Gabe) October 23, 2011 - May 26 2020)

UKC CH Ashtrick N Kettle Cove Irish Royalty, OA, OAJ, OAP, AJP, NF, OFP, CAA, CGC, SPOT, TKI, FCAT (March 4,  2015- July 29, 2022)

#6 Eric D

Eric D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 09:07 AM

I have to admit that this is a real fear of mine, the eating of something that won’t make it through the dog’s system. :flower: I feel really fortunate that so far, Levi has a reduce interest in eating things that he shouldn’t, just for the sake of seeing if he can. Still on his hit list are beds of any kind, rugs, and some doggie toys. Since getting older, he doesn’t try to ingest them once they are in pieces like he would when he was younger. I am even concerned about rawhide products. I had a friend that lost his dog to one.

The best treat I have found for Levi is this translucent blue, four knobby toy that allows small doggie biscuits to be put inside of the knobby ends. Levi loves this thing and even though he is a VERY aggressive chewer, this toy has held up well. It is better then the rubber type toys. It is easier to keep clean being translucent.

Stef, I hope your dobes are ok and the lost foot shows up.

Eric D

#7 Thormannix

Thormannix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 11:42 AM

Do you know the brand name of the toy? That sounds like something my dogs would love!
Stephanie

#8 Eric D

Eric D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 12:40 PM

Here is a photo of the toy that gets the

“Levi Destruction Proof Chew Acceptance”

He loves this blue toy!

Attached File  Levi___Toy_4.JPG   178.77KB   7 downloads

Eric D :flower:

#9 Thormannix

Thormannix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 12:39 PM

Thank you!

#10 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 07:34 AM

Found it. Good thing I panicked for nothing.... :D

After tearing the house apart for the 14th time ... I was sitting on the floor having a full fledged pity-party when lo and behold ... in Sean's light table ... there's the foot.

So needless to say, the feet have been cut off the other ball and cuz balls will henceforth be "foot-free" in our house. :Kiss: :flower:

#11 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 08:24 AM

Glad to hear everything is well!!!

I think Bella had sympathy "squirty poop" for them at 2:30 a.m.!!! Not sure why she had it but she did hoover up some of the dog sit's food that I spilled but it wasn't even 1/2 a cup!!! and they get Wysong... guess that's one we can mark off our list. HA!!!

Whye do they pace and whine AFTER the dirty deed is done??? I would happily have gotten up and let her out if she had just made a noise!!!

Joni
Emmalin Jane, George, Clyde, and Rascal (meow & hiss)
From the Bridge - Cosmo (12/2005), Katie (7/2006), Mr. Munchkin (11/2008), Bella DSA, CGC (1/2009), Skitter DSA (12/2010), Beau (11/2014), and Calvin (6/2017)

"The world of the generous gets larger and larger... The on who blesses other is abundantly blessed; those who help other are helped." Proverbs 11:24-25

"They that sow in tears shall reap in joy" Psalms 126:5

#12 Eric D

Eric D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 04 December 2006 - 10:45 AM

That's great news that you found the missing foot Stef! Sorry about the worry you had to go through. :Kiss: At least now, you know where it is.

Joni, sorry to hear about the :D poop issues. My theory as to why the pacing and cry after the fact is; they think a little gas venting is needed, only to find there was more then gas coming out! Like I’ve never been there. :flower: Man, I hate when that happens. I'm sure they have a like response.

Eric D

#13 duboisdobes

duboisdobes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 09:55 AM

Eric - when I saw this toy and that you consider it chew proof I decided to give it a try. my dogs LOVE it....the only problem is that I only bought one - my older dobe isn't much of a chewer, but when I stuffed it with a few treats they went crazy...it lasted all night without any chew marks....I have to hit the store for another one at lunch today, I don't think I can take the bickering again tonight. Thanks for the info!!

Teri

#14 Melissa34

Melissa34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 11:40 AM

I was thinking that they looked like great Christmas presents.... :flower:
If you pick up a starving Dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man..." -- Mark Twain

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. -Roger Caras

#15 Kzoo

Kzoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 12:33 PM

:flower: Tessa has no toys. I guess I am a mean mommie. None of my dogs liked them so I never thought.......she does have her blankie and chew bones........Xmas it is, we'll see if I can find one of those things. She does need something to occupy her time besides walking to the goat barn with me 10 times a day to see if any of our babies have been born yet. Thanks for the info everyone :D

#16 Eric D

Eric D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 07:13 PM

Teri,

I'm glad to hear your dobes like the blue toy! Levi has his all the time. The smaller doggie treats on the inside don't last too long anymore. Levi has their removal down to a science. I think it is really cool how he will work and work on it until he know just how to do it, really fast!

Eric D

#17 Kennysmom

Kennysmom

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 09:34 AM

Do you know what the blue toy is called or where I can get one?

Thanks.
For the love of K.A.T.
Kenny, Akina (R.I.P.) & Tanner

#18 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 09:36 AM

I think it's called an Orka Jack or something like that.
Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

#19 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 09:37 AM

Here's a link to them:

http://www.drsfoster...&pc=1&N=0&Nty=1

#20 Kennysmom

Kennysmom

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 18 December 2006 - 10:01 AM

THANK YOU!!!!!!
For the love of K.A.T.
Kenny, Akina (R.I.P.) & Tanner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users