#1 KellyB

KellyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 01:26 PM

Hey All

I had to take Sam to the vet Sunday. He's unable to go through the night without wakeing us 1-2 times to relieve himself. Well they did an ultrasound on his badder because of the surgery he already had on it. Did a urinalisis only to have the resaults teater toting on the fence so to speak as to if he has an infection or not. (they have him on antibiotics) Its very diluted. Now on to my question I've had him on Rimadyl for his arthritis which can effect the kidney's so now it making me wonder. If its affecting his kidneys now. We have had him test, last test right before christmas with his surgery. We only give it to him when he seems to be in pain (rainy days, freezing winter days). While I was waiting for the resaults I was looking through some of their pamphlets and they have two different medications for arthritis. EtoGesis and Deramaxx has anyone used these? What were the resaults after using them.

Now I have read alot of you use Glycoflex III. Now what is this and where can I get it.

Sam is 13 and hubby and I are not ready to let him go so I'm looking for some alternative to relive his arthritis pain without side effects like Rimadyl has. Any info anyone has would be great.

Kelly
Dakota and Myles's Mom

#2 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 04:21 PM

Kelly,

Go to the topic "Tiki and Tango update" in the New Beginnings section. In there is alot of the information on supplements for pain. I'm not sure if you will find it helpful for Sam's situation or not but I was looking for medication that was not injurious to Tango's liver. The responses are in that vein. They were kind enough to include websites and price ranges. Sorry about Sam. :)

Jane

Edited by dobeluvr, 17 May 2005 - 04:22 PM.

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#3 KellyB

KellyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 04:38 PM

Thanks Jane,

It could just be that he's old and just has an infection. We are getting him outside more. With me doing childcare on base we can not have our dogs around the kids even though I break that rule when I just have the two kiddos. So now every 2-3 hours durring the day I get him outside he usually just sleeps all day.

Kelly
Dakota and Myles's Mom

#4 mihalik1413

mihalik1413

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 05:15 PM

Kelly,
I will do some research on this since so many people have been asking lately. I have found this which has more dosage per pill then what everyone else has posted. If I find any better price I will post.
Arthrix

Edited by mihalik1413, 17 May 2005 - 05:15 PM.

#5 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 17 May 2005 - 06:01 PM

Kelly,

So sorry to hear about Sam. I used Rimadyl on my beloved Niko but it never really seemed to help so the vet switched her over to Deramaxx and she did quite well on it. I only gave it to her as needed. I am not sure of the effects of this particular medication on the liver. Arda uses the Glycoflex and swears by it. Maybe she can tell you were to find it. Please keep us informed as to how Sam is doing. It's tough when they get older.

Cheryl
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#6 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 08 June 2005 - 10:38 AM

I saw this advertised on the RFD channel last evening. So, I went to Google and found their homepage. It's called Cetyl M, and boasts great results in horses and dogs. Thought I'd throw it out there for what it's worth:

http://www.cetylm.com/

Linda

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ... I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man.
-------------------------
Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Sugar Bear 06/18/2017
Shadow a/k/a Little Snoopy
SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)
Greta Von Reiman (1972-1984)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users