28 replies to this topic

#1 twodognite

twodognite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 04:09 PM

Please, if you have a chance, read this story.

http://www.thorswarr....com/index.html

If you are not tired of writing letters a few more would be welcomed I'm sure.

#2 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 04:41 PM

We really need to go back to public head and wrist stocks. Just put him in stocks in the public square and let him be fed if anyone feels like it. Make it in the middle of winter so that he can relate to being starved AND cold.

This is why I can't be in charge ... I can be pretty vengeful.

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#3 Heather M

Heather M

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 05:04 PM

Great that "Johnathon Rand" is bring attention to this! For those that don't have school kids--his books are very popular among the elementary set.

#4 Melissa34

Melissa34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 08:40 PM

Sickens me all over again as to what "humans" can do to animals! Who is the true "animals" in our world?
If you pick up a starving Dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man..." -- Mark Twain

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. -Roger Caras

#5 twodognite

twodognite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:22 PM

Check out Chris Wright's (Johnathon Rand) new tv ad. GO CHRIS! :blink:

http://www.thorswarr...com/TV_spot.htm

#6 keporter

keporter

keporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 08:45 PM

It simply has to be a sin to do this to anything living. What on earth have we come to. It's not just Dobes, it's all breeds and cats, and horses, and cow and every living kind of animal. Have we lost our minds to let this go on. It sickens me. Arda on Kevin's computer

#7 Vicki_Wood

Vicki_Wood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:28 AM

My cousin knows this guy; him and his wife are really neat people. They live in this beautiful home high on a ridge over looking Mullet Lake in Topinabee, Michigan. Not only are they animal people, he does a lot of volunteer work with not so lucky kids which is how my cousin met him (she use to live in Cheboygan). I've read a couple of his horror books while on vacation there and they're great because they're centered around that Northern Michigan area. AND besides all of that, I understand he's drop dead gorgeous!

#8 twodognite

twodognite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 26 June 2007 - 05:56 AM

June 22'nd update Guilty!

http://www.thorswarr...m/09chapter.htm

#9 twodognite

twodognite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 01:52 PM

WEDNESDAY, JULY 11th, 2007
Yesterday morning in Crawford County, Michigan, a packed courtroom watched and listened as the Honorable Judge Monte Burmeister sentenced Larry Baumgart:

30 days in jail (60 more days if he violates probation);
$4,000+ in fines, court costs, and restitution;
200 hours of community service to be served at either the Roscommon or Crawford animal shelters;
2 years probation;
No ownership of pets during probation

On July 10th, 2007, a message was sent around the world: you can abuse animals in Roscommon County and get away with it, but animal abuse in Crawford County WILL NOT BE TOLERATED.

http://www.thorswarr...m/10chapter.htm

#10 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 10:33 PM

It made the television news up here. I'm so glad they showed thor totally filled out and fat and sassy and ready for adoption.

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#11 twodognite

twodognite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 03:02 PM

The story of Thor:
Please read this email that was sent to me and check out the link.
If you followed this story at all you will be saddened, but glad he is where he is today.

This is most unfortunate to report, but I wanted everyone to know that you mattered and helped make a difference. A final update is on the main page.

Chris Wright

http://www.thorswarriors.com/

#12 Stacie

Stacie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 06:33 PM

How sad and yet relieving to know he had some time where he got to know what a real home and love are. Run free Thor!
"Qui me amat, amat et canem meum" (Love me, love my dog)
The more people I meet the more I like my dog
"If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience"
-Woodrow Wilson
"Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate in their object-relations."
-Sigmund Freud

#13 Bgstk0529

Bgstk0529

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 10:05 PM

Thor and Buddy, they knew the worst of humans, but they went on remembering the best of humans thanks to all of you that helped them when they needed help the most. Thanks to you all.

#14 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 10:45 PM

Well, you have me crying all over the computer again. I read it all again from start to Thor's end and I half to tell you that what we dealt with in the Musky-Keagon was echoed on those pages. We still have no written permission to alter those two or to let them move on. Keagon will still not let you touch her back side. Lays flat on the ground when she approaches you. Yes she is a little butter ball but the scares inside will never go away. Musky is wilder than a deer. And the prosecutor did take her to court.
I used to make at least one run a week to bring home a Dobe from Roscommon. There was a Dobe backyard breeder up there and when they were through breeding them, they turned them into the woods to fend for themselves. They knew who she was and they did nothing about her. Picked up the dogs and cared for them but never stopped the breeder. She had a motel I think was like Shady Pines or something like that.
I really hate to think back on all the kids we have taken in in this shape and NO BODY would listen. They pick up their pay checks and go home. These animals only affect the person or persons who are looking into their face.
We took two females from a breeder in Ohio. Paid a small mint to get them on their feet. In the time it took us to get them vetted, she had bred 3 more litters. She lives in a single wide trailer in West Unity, Ohio, with 30+ Dobes. The animal control and humane society all know that the doge are either in the trailer or in the yard and being fed Ole Roy and scrapes. Nothing is being done for any of them. Now she wants to dump 2 more males and another female. All we did was to enable her to keep breeding. One of the three litters is a brother to sister breeding. Ready for Christmas. Remember Thunder and Lightning...that's where they came from.
AND SO IT GOES!
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#15 Stacie

Stacie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 04 November 2007 - 07:02 AM

Well, you have me crying all over the computer again. I read it all again from start to Thor's end and I half to tell you that what we dealt with in the Musky-Keagon was echoed on those pages. We still have no written permission to alter those two or to let them move on. Keagon will still not let you touch her back side. Lays flat on the ground when she approaches you. Yes she is a little butter ball but the scares inside will never go away. Musky is wilder than a deer. And the prosecutor did take her to court.
I used to make at least one run a week to bring home a Dobe from Roscommon. There was a Dobe backyard breeder up there and when they were through breeding them, they turned them into the woods to fend for themselves. They knew who she was and they did nothing about her. Picked up the dogs and cared for them but never stopped the breeder. She had a motel I think was like Shady Pines or something like that.
I really hate to think back on all the kids we have taken in in this shape and NO BODY would listen. They pick up their pay checks and go home. These animals only affect the person or persons who are looking into their face.
We took two females from a breeder in Ohio. Paid a small mint to get them on their feet. In the time it took us to get them vetted, she had bred 3 more litters. She lives in a single wide trailer in West Unity, Ohio, with 30+ Dobes. The animal control and humane society all know that the doge are either in the trailer or in the yard and being fed Ole Roy and scrapes. Nothing is being done for any of them. Now she wants to dump 2 more males and another female. All we did was to enable her to keep breeding. One of the three litters is a brother to sister breeding. Ready for Christmas. Remember Thunder and Lightning...that's where they came from.
AND SO IT GOES!

It pains me to know that the authorities all know about this woman and don't do a thing about it! I do not understand how people can look the other way and let these kinds of things happen! Our world is def. far from perfect when it comes to these poor innocent animals. I feel as if my hands are tied and all that can be done is to care for the animals that can be cared for when the money allows.
"If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience"
-Woodrow Wilson
"Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate in their object-relations."
-Sigmund Freud

#16 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 06 November 2007 - 10:19 PM

I really want this post to stay up here. It is so much easier to vent when I can get to this thread.
A little over 2 months ago, I found out that we have a tiger living in a home on Matthews Hwy. Well, I heard it was against the law. Whether it is or not does not bother me. But what happens when a person is bored with their pet Tiger or can't afford to fed it anymore. I will tell you what happens to them. 40 years ago before all these homes were out here, some body dumped a very large black cat out here in this area. Probably a black panther. I saw it several times at dusk in the field behind my place. Heard it more often than I saw it. Well, at any rate, the one on Matthews Hwy got loose from the owner. They got it back but what if they hadn't caught it. There are all kinds of dogs, cats, chickens, horses(mine for example) and children out here now. A couple of years ago when I was having trouble with the township, Jane and I went down to the zoning office to get some information. The woman that was running the show told us that they were putting together new ordinances against buffaloes, lamas, alpacas, and whatever. So how did this happen. First, I am mad as a hornet that it happened. Then I have to wonder who is policing this area that a tiger can live in a home and a rescue has the law down their back all the time. I know for fact that this was reported to the Sheriffs Department. Nothing has been done about it to date. Why is it so easy for the law to turn a blind eye to the starving and uncared for animals. As was the case with Thor's other mates; Musky-Keagon; the Jane Crooks dogs; the horses from Penticost Hwy; and I could go on and on. Is it the prosecuting Attorneys that turn the blind eye or the Police departments. Or is it just easier to ignore it all than to do the foot work to stop it all. And time and time again....the costs for these actions is left on the person looking into the face of the animal. Never on the shoulder of the person that caused it all. I'm confused. Please, make me understand. You really don't want me to go out to feed Squirt and find him half eaten. It will not be a pretty picture, what I will do about it.

#17 Melissa34

Melissa34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 05:46 AM

I wish I knew the answers..... it is a very costly process to take someone through all of the steps of prosecution. Does that mean that it should not be done? Absolutely not! From the county/states perspective thoughh - animals are still "just property" and does the county/state want to pay the money and spend the time involved for the court ordered attorney, the judge, the possible jurors, the stenographer, the room at the courthouse, the police department to issue the warrants - over a "property" issue. To me, and this is only my opinion - HOW the law views animals - is where the change needs to start! Once they are seen as MORE than property, then maybe, just maybe - they will be worth more of the county/states time and money.

Also, if something were done more along the punishment / retribution to the past "owner" of the animal.......

I had followed Thor's story.......thankfully he experienced what every dog deserves.
If you pick up a starving Dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man..." -- Mark Twain

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. -Roger Caras

#18 Stacie

Stacie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 06:27 AM

I can only say that my husband will come home from court so angry with the calling of the judgments on some of his cases. Chris will show up to court as scheduled to find out that a case had been dismissed because the prosecutor lessened the charges or the judge dropped them and so on it goes. I cannot attest to every police department because I am sure that there are many officers that turn a blind eye on situations but there are also many out there that don't and many of them are animal lovers and do the right thing but once it reaches the court system there is nothing they can do but be disappointed by the rulings. I do know that there are a few rescues in our area (wild rabbits, chimommy's rescue, etc.) that have not had any problems with the law - and we are only allowed to have 3 dogs per home here. It shouldn't be about the cost of prosecution - it should be about justice for the people who put their hearts and necks on the line for these poor animals and for the animals who have suffered!
-Woodrow Wilson
-Sigmund Freud

#19 Vicki_Wood

Vicki_Wood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 10:41 AM

Could not read the outcome of Thor, but in my heart I know what it was. It brings forth too much raw emotion and makes me think of my wonderful Blue. I only had eight months with him and I still grieve and am mad as hexx that A. I selfishly only had 8 mos. with him and B. that this was done to him in the first place. Every time there is a thunder storm I think of him as he was so terrified of them and then think what he went through for 6 yrs. outside by himself during a storm; still chokes me up. Many times the law only takes on the easy cases; a harmless little lady on Matthews Hwy. is easy to pick on; some axxhole with a tiger may not be so easy to pick on. Also, the system is crooked; there are crooked attorneys and court people. Cannot begin to tell you the number of people that get away with crime because the attorney knows someone or has bought season tickets to something that they give to different court people, or the judge is their cousin, etc. etc. etc. I have to stop now because it upsets me so.

#20 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 07 November 2007 - 09:05 PM

Just heard from a parent of a child that goes to school with the Tiger's parent. The parent took the Servo Cat to school to do a show and tell for the daughter. And every one is thinking it is so great. If I am not mistaken, and I could be, they are illegal in Mich. Along with pet monkeys, wolves, and a bunch more. Don't know where to find it but I remember reading something about it. Just turn your head and it will go away. And so it goes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users