#1 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 07:02 AM

Hey everyone!
Well, I bite the bullet last night and bought Brody a "Citronella Bark Collar". It's the new "rave" in anti-barking devices. It cost $80.00, and no return policy. I guess they look at these collars like the "canine" version of underwear, or "undergarments". Can't return it after it's worn.

Just wondering if anyone out there has any other information on these collars. I've read testimonials online, and it seems to work miracles. Just would like inside info from anyone else, or any other suggestions in future if this doesn't work....and if it doesn't?? Hey, I've got a REAL nice citronella collar for sale, if anyone's interested... :stuart:

Edited by Jennymay, 09 November 2005 - 01:33 PM.

#2 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 08:15 AM

Jennymae; They have been on the market for about 10 years. None of the ones I have did a darn thing to stop barking. You should have asked. I think we have 6 of them here somewhere.
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#3 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 08:22 AM

Arda, I wish I would have known....Honestly...sh*t.
Ah well, live and learn, then ask Arda... :stuart:

Thanks, ARda, for letting me know, though. I appreciate you telling me it doesn't work. :P

Edited by Jennymay, 09 November 2005 - 01:32 PM.

#4 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 01:38 PM

SO....
I called the woman back, told her that Brody had an allergic reaction to the collar, and she basically told me too bad, my money is lost. I told her that was ridiculous, that I only bought it last night, and for $80.00, having an ALLERGIC reaction should constitute a legitimate return on the product. She was quiet. THEN she told me, "Well, you're actually the first person I've sold this to, and I already adopted this no-return policy on it." I told her I wasn't impressed, and that word of mouth is NO problem when it comes to MY mouth, and HER store.
She told me, "Well, IF you can get a note from your vet stating the allergy I may be able to do something."
Not a problem. Called my vet, I pick the letter up after work. AND my vet is printing me off information on barkers to read up on. She's also going to talk to me about other options with Brody and his barking. She also said, (unfortunately, because I know how most of you feel about this) that I may eventually have to try a shock collar on Brody if worst comes to worst, but she'll tell me WHICH one to buy, and how to go about training him with it. She's the best, I love my vet. And, at no cost to me. :P Can't beat that.

Anyhoo, didn't want to waste anyone's time, just wanted to vent on this Pet Food Store that I will NOT be returning to anytime soon, other than to give this darn collar back. I'm SO not impressed....:stuart:

#5 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 02:01 PM

Jenny,

I'm glad your vet is so helpful!! That's really nice of them! Our vet is wonderful as well - their office is so helpful and very accomodating!

Let us know how everything goes.

Stef
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

SCD's Shooting Star "Stella" - We will work on titles. :)
Vixenvale Kingston's Warren - Kingston (2006-2017)
SCD's Black Tie Affair "Tux" - PCD, CGN, CGC (2004-2015)
Can CH Jimary Jack's Are High "Jack" (Pug) - PCD

#6 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 02:07 PM

Don't worry, I'll let you know. The store owner is going to "contact" the manufacturer to ask them what she should do, and if THEY'LL reimburse her the money. I think it's a joke, myself, that the store would initiate that kind of policy on a COLLAR.

I'll let you all know, as well, what she (my vet) suggests I do, and what works on Brody in the future. :stuart: What a headache!!!! BLAH

Edited by Jennymay, 09 November 2005 - 02:07 PM.

#7 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 02:46 PM

I am quite certain that all of his barking has much to do with the fact that he has not seen his red head friend in quite some time. :stuart:

Edited by CAB, 09 November 2005 - 02:47 PM.

The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#8 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 03:27 PM

Jen,
Here's my story; or should I say Tango's story. When I bought my first little bachelorette pad in was in a neighborhood and this was the first time he had been in such close proximity to other people, especially ones walking by HIS house. Country dog turned city dog. He barked and barked, but every day the people just kept coming right past his house. The more he barked, the braver they were! It didn't take long for the neighbors to mention his threatening behavior as their concern grew over the "viscious doberman" living next door. So I put my foot down...in a big way. I used the electronic bark collar. It took one day....one day. It can be set to stimulate only after he barks for an alotted amount of time. So a warning bark would be ok, but barking for more than 10 seconds would get him a shock. The shock feels like licking a battery head. No, I don't go around licking battery heads, but that's what the pet supply store guy told me so I went home and licked a battery. It's uncomfortable, but not "shocking". Enough to make me not want to lick any more batteries :P So basically it teaches them not to bark incessantly, but that a warning is ok. I know that some people will probably frown on my tactic, but in some cases I think it saves the dog and it's owner from a lot worse consequence. :D One day of licking battery heads sure beats a ticket or having to give up your pet. Pick one up at your local SCD...her return policy is awesome too :stuart:
We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare, and the love we can spare. And, in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

#9 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 03:39 PM

I think that's the one that my vet was talking about, Karen!! :stuart:

So it worked, eh?? Oh my GAWD that's awesome news!! I was going to ask our "Swamp Mama" if she had any like that for me to borrow for a bit, so I'm HOPING she'll let me!!! *hint hint wink wink nudge nudge*

My neighbour, by the way, threatened to "hurt/kill" Brody if he ever bite him. I told him he's a BARKER, not a biter, but with him going nuts at the fence, people are thinking that he's an aggressive, uncontrolled BIG BAD DOBERMAN....and it's making me REALLY really upset, folks.

Karen, thank you SO much for your suggestion!!! I've been trying to resolve/deal with Brody's excessive barking for a few months, and NOTHING has alleviated it, so I appreciate ANY input from anyone!! :P

#10 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 06:27 PM

The Lifestyles of Brody's Bark Collar....cont'd....

Got the letter from my vet, it's awesome. She basically said that he CANNOT wear the collar due to health issues, so we'll see what the woman says after reading the letter from my vet. IF there's still an issue, then I'll just contact the manufacturer myself and get my money from them....OH what a life!!! :stuart:

#11 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 08:05 PM

And don't think for one minute that the collar won't faze him because of his size...Tango was a lean 128#. And next time your lousy neighbor threatens your dog's life, call the cops and make a report. If this wimp throws a peice of antifreeze bread over your fence, you want to make sure that you've complained to the authorities about his threats. What a terrible thought :P If Arda can't dig a collar up for you, I can dig up mine, but you'll probably see her before you see me :stuart:
Karen
We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare, and the love we can spare. And, in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

#12 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 08:08 PM

You've gotta do what's necessary to solve the problem.

Drives me bonkers ... people's dogs can run and jump and carry on at the fence and it's perfectly acceptable - until it's a dobe, rottie, pit, boxer or shepherd. All of a sudden they're "monsters" that are obviously "vicious".

I guess it's good in that is makes us take full responsibility for our dogs ... however, I'd like the jokers that live behind me with the idiot cocker spaniels (no offence to any cocker fans out there) to have to live up to the same expectations that society places squarely on the shoulders of my dobe.

Thank goodness he has strong shoulders.... :stuart:
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

#13 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 08:31 PM

And don't think for one minute that the collar won't faze him because of his size...Tango was a lean 128#.  And next time your lousy neighbor threatens your dog's life, call the cops and make a report.  If this wimp throws a peice of antifreeze bread over your fence, you want to make sure that you've complained to the authorities about his threats.  What a terrible thought :D  If Arda can't dig a collar up for you, I can dig up mine, but you'll probably see her before you see me :stuart:
                                                                                            Karen

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks, Karen, for the words of encouragement...

Fortunately for me, I work for the Police Department here. It's been noted what was said. If he TOUCHES my dog, he'll have lots to worry about. It also doesn't help that now when Brody barks, they're antagonizing him behind the fence, yelling at him to shut up, and other "variety" of words, which can't be said here. They don't realize they're adding to the problem. I told their son today to "pass on the message" that I am TRYING to rectify the problem of Brody's barking, and to have just a LITTLE patience concerning it....I just want to cry, I'm getting so frustrated with it right now.

Anyways, enough of my little pity party.

KAREN: In all honesty, you've made me feel better about what I may have to do with Brody in the future, ie. the e-collar. And I thank you from the bottom of my heart for that, because I've been at odds about it, but I think that truly it's the only thing that's going to work. :P

#14 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 08:41 PM

You've gotta do what's necessary to solve the problem. 

Drives me bonkers ... people's dogs can run and jump and carry on at the fence and it's perfectly acceptable - until it's a dobe, rottie, pit, boxer or shepherd.  All of a sudden they're "monsters" that are obviously "vicious". 

I guess it's good in that is makes us take full responsibility for our dogs ... however, I'd like the jokers that live behind me with the idiot cocker spaniels (no offence to any cocker fans out there) to have to live up to the same expectations that society places squarely on the shoulders of my dobe. 

Thank goodness he has strong shoulders....  :stuart:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unfortunately, the bite from one of those breeds you just listed is so much more serious than the bite of a smaller breed of dog. I read that bites from smaller breeds of dogs occur more often than bites from some of the dogs listed on the top ten dog biters, but don't get reported because the bite isn't serious. One of my dobes bit me in the face, one bite and he did some damage. I ended up with 40 + stitches in layers and was told that if this bite had occured to a child it would have killed the child, and this was not and is not a viscious dog. Everyone here on this forum are responsible dog owners and we take care of our dogs' issues. Too bad all owners don't, they are the ones making bad names for certain breeds of dogs. Mary

Dogs don't know about beginnings, and they don't speculate on matters that occurred before their time.
Dogs also don't know-or at least don't accept-the concept of death.
With no concept of beginnings or endings, dogs probably don't know that for people, having a dog as a life companion provides a streak of light between two eternities of darkness
Stanley Coren

#15 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 09:08 PM

I'm sorry that happened. That's unfortunate.

I agree in theory with what you're saying. The idiot cocker spaniels could probably do less damage. However - my lab does not recieve the same response from people that my dobe does and he's got 15-20lbs EASY on Tux.

I think that those breeds are held to higher expectations than other breeds and are more quickly to be labeled with the "vicious" behaviour even if similar behaviour from other breeds would not be so quickly judged.

#16 KellyB

KellyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 09 November 2005 - 09:18 PM

Jennymay
I for one can understand your delema. I had a neighbor once that witched and complained because Sam barked. He called the SP's and when they came out they had to look over the fence to know we even had a dog and thats when Sam saw him and barked. Of course this is the same idiot that threw his keys at his dog for barking mind you it wasn't even a year old.

When I first got Dakota she was sooooo head strong it wasn't funny. That was one of the first things Arda told us about her. I used the prong collar on her when I first started training her (rubber tips on the ends). The first instructor I had wouldn't allow them in class the second one did. Now the instructor I have for Myles doesn't believe in them. She said you can't wean them off of it. In my opinion isn't true. The only time we may need to us it on Dakota is if we take her to Petsmart or PetCo. To many owners not paying attention to thier dogs sniffing up her behind. It gets her attention on me alot quicker and not making the other dog mind its manners. You do whats best for you and Brody.

Also I took a phone call from a client today that made an appointment to euthanize his Dachshund next week. They got it from a rescue two years ago and has bitten its owner twice. The first time about a year ago. The bite this time sent her to the hospital for stitches (within the last 10 days). When I initially found out they had gotten it from a rescue I asked him if he had called the rescue to see if they would take it back. They had , well they ended up keeping it so a year later it has bitten one if its owners again. He has sworn off ever getting a resuce dog again. :stuart:

Kelly
Dakota and Myles's Mom

#17 lorraine_byers

lorraine_byers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 12:19 AM

I would be interested also in how the e-collar works for Brody. My Harley just runs from one side of the yard to the other barking sometimes because there are people to bark and sometimes for no reason. And we also have the neighbor that yells at him and waves his hands....like that's going to help.
We tried a citronella collar also, and he would just bark until he emptied all the citronella, then bark more and when he wasn't wearing it, he barked like normal. We talked about getting an e-collar too, but I wasn't sure how I felt about them either. My concerns with using it are what about if one of my other dogs bark?-will that set it off? Also, will he always have to wear the collar after that to keep him from getting carried away?

Thanks for bringing up the topic....we are struggling with this too.

#18 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 07:23 AM

I think it's a load of hooey that you can't wean them off. I've used a prong on Wes since last December. He is beautiful on a flat collar in class or in the show ring. I just like to know that I have that control when I need it in unpredictable situations. (Bunnies shooting out from under our noses, Petsmart, etc.)

I briefly used one on Tux to cure some "issues" he had - and we're back onto a regular choke. I found it irritated his neck, but I never tried the rubber tips.

#19 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 08:13 AM

I will definitely keep everyone updated on how Brody's progress is with the e-collar, once I actually get one. I'm working on getting my money back for the citronella collar right now, which is turning into a pain in the butt. (I need THAT money in order to get Brody a NEW collar) Thank GOODNESS I have an awesome vet who gave me a "doctor's note" to bring into the pet store....she even addressed it WITH the pet stores name, so as not to cause any "confusion" to the woman who owns the store.
Wish me luck!!! :stuart:

#20 brownsmom

brownsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 10 November 2005 - 09:52 AM

Also I took a phone call from a client today that made an appointment to euthanize his Dachshund next week. They got it from a rescue two years ago and has bitten its owner twice. The first time about a year ago. The bite this time sent her to the hospital for stitches (within the last 10 days). When I initially found out they had gotten it from a rescue I asked him if he had called the rescue to see if they would take it back. They had , well they ended up keeping it so a year later it has bitten one if its owners again. He has sworn off ever getting a resuce dog again.  :stuart:

Kelly

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At least they are being responsible and not just dumping the Doxie at the pound.

Also, the only dog who has ever bitten me (knock on wood) was a Doxie. Vicious little monster. I was on the couch at a friends, watching TV (I was 11 or 12 years old) and it jumped up on the couch, onto my lap and just ripped my hand open. Kim's dad (the dog's owner) said "Well, you were on her spot on the couch." :D Imagine that excuse flying if your Dobe bit someone. :P

Honey Locust Hills On A Wing and A Prayer  DCAT CA (Faith),  Honey Locust Hills Little Leap of Faith DCAT (Hop),   Honey Locust Hills Notorious B.I.G CA DCAT (Big)  and UKC CHTurkhaven's Notorious RBG CA DCAT(Ruth) 

"Love is everything it's cracked up to be. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for." Erica Jong.   In memory: SCD Where's the Beef, CGC (1995-September 20, 2008); Athena's Dark Angel (May 1, 2009 - November 17, 2011); Second Chance Bow to Me CGC, RN (?-July 3, 2012); Second Chance Brownie Zipper CGC, RN (2000-September 23, 2013) SCD Catch Me If You Can  (2006 - May 3, 2016) DPRRM Sapphire Hidden Treasure, CGC (December 1, 2005- December 5, 2016)  SCD Watchful Princess ( - 2018) C-ATCH  CS-ATCH4 CS-ATE SCD Some Roads Are Rocky CGC, NA, NAJ, AXP, MJP2, OPF (October 10, 2005 - September 10, 2019)  C-ATCH5 PACH2 Shadow's On Eagles Wings, BCAT, CGC, TKI, NA, NAJ, XFP,  MJP2, MJPB, MXP3. MXPB, T2BP, PAX (Gabe) October 23, 2011 - May 26 2020)

UKC CH Ashtrick N Kettle Cove Irish Royalty, OA, OAJ, OAP, AJP, NF, OFP, CAA, CGC, SPOT, TKI, FCAT (March 4,  2015- July 29, 2022)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users