#1 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 06:29 AM

Hi All,

I have been waiting to post this as I wanted to really work it out on my own. Not to mention that I'm totally embarrassed about having trouble. :P It was so easy with Wes - and we're having such a hard time with Tux. I assumed some troubles transitioning when we adopted him - but it's beyond that now. (A couple have been related to an upset stomach during the first week and I didn't count those.)

He has NEVER peed in the house. :D Wes asks to go out about every 1-1.5 hours so he probably doesn't have a chance to get full enough. We've had a problem with the other though. :P I've limited his access in the house and I walk him 4 times a day to try to prevent. I've caught him twice "in progress" with a sharp "No!" and we've finished out in the yard to lots of praise and treats. I've put bells on the door to go out and we ring them as we go. Wes has learned to ring them, but Tux won't.

He gives NO warning. No sniffing, circling, etc. Just stands there - then poops. Even outside, it just kinda happens. It's so strange.

I'm not sure what else to do. Should I crate him when I know that he might have to until I can walk him? (I.e. while I eat or while changing) I can move the crate into the living room. Should I only allow him in one room at a time? (Our living room and kitchen are attached with no door - but there's a doorway so I could get a baby gate.)

That still won't help with getting him to warn me to go out. Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!
Stef
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

SCD's Shooting Star "Stella" - We will work on titles. :)
Vixenvale Kingston's Warren - Kingston (2006-2017)
SCD's Black Tie Affair "Tux" - PCD, CGN, CGC (2004-2015)
Can CH Jimary Jack's Are High "Jack" (Pug) - PCD

#2 brownsmom

brownsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 08:11 AM

Hi All,

I have been waiting to post this as I wanted to really work it out on my own.  Not to mention that I'm totally embarrassed about having trouble.  :P  It was so easy with Wes - and we're having such a hard time with Tux.  I assumed some troubles transitioning when we adopted him - but it's beyond that now.  (A couple have been related to an upset stomach during the first week and I didn't count those.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Don't think you are alone. I have to crate Lilly whenever I am not downstairs because she will sneak out, poop in the living room and go back to what she was doing like nothing happened. She is getting more trustworthy. She is really bad when I bring a new dog in to the house. Hang in there - I don't have good advice - just encouragement. Maybe Tux never had a chance to learn that he could hold it until he was let out? If he was always tied out or in a pen?

Honey Locust Hills On A Wing and A Prayer  DCAT CA (Faith),  Honey Locust Hills Little Leap of Faith DCAT (Hop),   Honey Locust Hills Notorious B.I.G CA DCAT (Big)  and UKC CHTurkhaven's Notorious RBG CA DCAT(Ruth) 

"Love is everything it's cracked up to be. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for." Erica Jong.   In memory: SCD Where's the Beef, CGC (1995-September 20, 2008); Athena's Dark Angel (May 1, 2009 - November 17, 2011); Second Chance Bow to Me CGC, RN (?-July 3, 2012); Second Chance Brownie Zipper CGC, RN (2000-September 23, 2013) SCD Catch Me If You Can  (2006 - May 3, 2016) DPRRM Sapphire Hidden Treasure, CGC (December 1, 2005- December 5, 2016)  SCD Watchful Princess ( - 2018) C-ATCH  CS-ATCH4 CS-ATE SCD Some Roads Are Rocky CGC, NA, NAJ, AXP, MJP2, OPF (October 10, 2005 - September 10, 2019)  C-ATCH5 PACH2 Shadow's On Eagles Wings, BCAT, CGC, TKI, NA, NAJ, XFP,  MJP2, MJPB, MXP3. MXPB, T2BP, PAX (Gabe) October 23, 2011 - May 26 2020)

UKC CH Ashtrick N Kettle Cove Irish Royalty, OA, OAJ, OAP, AJP, NF, OFP, CAA, CGC, SPOT, TKI, FCAT (March 4,  2015- July 29, 2022)

#3 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 08:31 AM

Stef,
Arda may be able to give you some idea's about Tux, & I think he
was with Dr. Karen for a short while too.
Hang in there :P

#4 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 08:36 AM

He gives NO warning. No sniffing, circling, etc. Just stands there - then poops. Even outside, it just kinda happens. It's so strange.

Ugh, Tango was like this with the urinating. She would run into the living room right in front of me and squat. It didn't matter if I yelled NO, jumped up and down or what. I used to let her out a million times a day just in case she needed to go. I was beginning to think it was a physiological problem. Nothing worked until one day I caught her "midstream" grabbed her back leg, rolled her on her back all the while a stream of pee went airborn like a sprinkler. It shocked her so much that she started bothering me with her nose when she needed to urinate. I honestly thought I was going to lose my mind. So NO I haven't got a clue for you, just don't be embarrassed. Take heart, I'm sure eventually something will "click" with him.

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#5 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 08:49 AM

Do the old fashioned training method..
Grab Tux, stick his nose LITERALLY right in it, tell him NO sternly, then throw him outside to get the message.
Some take longer to learn than others....I've been SO lucky with Brody in that aspect, thank God. I've had dogs that just don't get it, and I feel for ya, Stef, because it DOES become frustrating and upsetting after awhile, and you feel hopeless!! It'll get better!
~Jen~

#6 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 09:55 AM

Ugh, Tango was like this with the urinating.  She would run into the living room right in front of me and squat.  It didn't matter if I yelled NO, jumped up and down or what.  I used to let her out a million times a day just in case she needed to go.  I was beginning to think it was a physiological problem.  Nothing worked until one day I caught her "midstream" grabbed her back leg, rolled her on her back all the while a stream of pee went airborn like a sprinkler.  It shocked her so much that she started bothering me with her nose when she needed to urinate.  I honestly thought I was going to lose my mind.  So NO I haven't got a clue for you, just don't be embarrassed.  Take heart, I'm sure eventually something will "click" with him.

Jane

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:P :P :D Jane, you crack me up, just the visual of this made my day. Mary

Dogs don't know about beginnings, and they don't speculate on matters that occurred before their time.
Dogs also don't know-or at least don't accept-the concept of death.
With no concept of beginnings or endings, dogs probably don't know that for people, having a dog as a life companion provides a streak of light between two eternities of darkness
Stanley Coren

#7 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 10:08 AM

Hi All,

I have been waiting to post this as I wanted to really work it out on my own.  Not to mention that I'm totally embarrassed about having trouble.  :P  It was so easy with Wes - and we're having such a hard time with Tux.  I assumed some troubles transitioning when we adopted him - but it's beyond that now.  (A couple have been related to an upset stomach during the first week and I didn't count those.)

He has NEVER peed in the house.  :D  Wes asks to go out about every 1-1.5 hours so he probably doesn't have a chance to get full enough.  We've had a problem with the other though.  :P  I've limited his access in the house and I walk him 4 times a day to try to prevent.  I've caught him twice "in progress" with a sharp "No!" and we've finished out in the yard to lots of praise and treats.  I've put bells on the door to go out and we ring them as we go.  Wes has learned to ring them, but Tux won't. 

He gives NO warning.  No sniffing, circling, etc.  Just stands there - then poops.  Even outside, it just kinda happens.  It's so strange.

I'm not sure what else to do.  Should I crate him when I know that he might have to until I can walk him?  (I.e. while I eat or while changing)  I can move the crate into the living room.  Should I only allow him in one room at a time?  (Our living room and kitchen are attached with no door - but there's a doorway so I could get a baby gate.)

That still won't help with getting him to warn me to go out.  Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!
Stef

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Steff, you are not alone. My Adonis was also a housebreaking nightmare. He was 11 months old when I adopted him from Arda's. I was his 4th home since birth. Ask Sherri. I cried to Sherri, I was so close to bringing him back to SCD. I, literally cried on my son's shoulder because it was so frustrating. Adonis was not clueless as to what I wanted him to do and where he was to do it, he just choose to do it when and where he wanted to. He would go to the door and scratch and whine when he wanted to go out to play, but still he would come into the same room that I was in, look at me and squat. OMG. I did everything that everyone told me to do, the bell, crating him, praise, he only went out to do his business then I would praise him like he had just found a cure for cancer and take him back into the house. He would go out when my other dog, Cocoa would go out to do her business. I confined him to the kitchen, and gradually gave him more freedom with no success. What turned it around for him? I'm not sure. I did not let him win, I did not give up and maybe he finally felt bonded enough to me to want to do something that he knew made me happy. Truly I don't know, but he did learn, and the struggle we went through strengthened my bond and love for him. It's hard to explain. Hope this gives ya some light or hope. Mary

Dogs don't know about beginnings, and they don't speculate on matters that occurred before their time.
With no concept of beginnings or endings, dogs probably don't know that for people, having a dog as a life companion provides a streak of light between two eternities of darkness
Stanley Coren

#8 mihalik1413

mihalik1413

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 10:31 AM

What seems to be missing from your stories, and I have potty trained about 19 dogs, is that you let them out. Have you tried going with them? Many of you have said the samething, that your dog comes in and does their business right in front of you. What I have done is what Jenny does. I put their noses either in it or so close that they can't stand it, while holding it there for 30 seconds to a minute. I then give a firm spank on the back hip and say OUTSIDE firmly. I then throw them out and when they come in its right into the cage. It gives them time to think about what they have done and you some cooling off time too. If this doesn't correct it then right from the crate to outside, then feed and outside then back in and into the crate. Do this for a couple days and go outside with them and praise them of their going potty outside. For those of you who reward your pets using treats, praise them and double up (pot) them with treats for a job well done while praising. I hope this helps. If you have different circumstances, pm me or post and I will try to help you with what is going on if I can.

Good Luck,
Larry

#9 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 10:32 AM

Thanks everyone!! I really appreciate your responses. I'm SO glad it's not only me. I'm doing my best, but it's wearing a little thin.

I'll keep doing what I'm doing. We've had 6 in the past 2 weeks. (The first 3 I don't count as he wasn't well for the first 4-5 days and I can't fault him on those ones.) Thank goodness I have hardwoods/tile and no carpet - otherwise I'd be a lot more upset. Most of the time I think I'm just walking him at the right times. This morning was a very strange time as he eats when I eat and then we go out for a walk (within 15 minutes of him eating). Same routine every morning.

Jen - I haven't stuck his nose in it - but I did, however, *laughing* point at the poop this morning and say "No!" which he probably interpreted as "Bad Poop!". :P

Jane - That's hilarious!! What a great visual! :P

Cheers!
Stef
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

#10 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 10:37 AM

What seems to be missing from your stories, and I have potty trained about 19 dogs, is that you let them out.  Have you tried going with them? 

Good Luck,
Larry

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Larry,
I should have mentioned this...

I am out there every time. We have a 5' chain link and I worry that they could get over it if unsupervised. (We're going to put in a solid wood fence hopefully at the end of the summer.) They are never in the yard by themselves and when we're going for a potty - it's always on leash. (I use a keyword so that when we go somewhere I can "cue" them to go.) It's nice because I KNOW they're empty before class, vet, show, etc.

Thanks for the crate advice though - I think I'll use the crate more often. :P

Thanks!
Stef

#11 mihalik1413

mihalik1413

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 10:42 AM

Yeah be a little hard and use the crate to your advantage. Its a little hard on you but they will understand that they have done something wrong. As most dogs would want to please you and be with you and now they can't. Your rewarding them for the going outside then throwing them right back in should click. Try it for a few days and then start giving a little more freedom and then a little more. All while praising for the good deeds. :P It should work.

Let me add dogs are so smart always talk to your dog, start with one word commands. I always train by one words at first then add as they learn. My starting commands, outside, backyard, sit, lay, almost always followed by good dog, you get the picture. Don't go adding a bunch of words and elaborate sentences. You can after they understand the one word commands! After this is accomplished you and your pet will have a fulfulling life together as they will be smart enough to understand and please you while you will reap the rewards and will be so proud of your smart dog! :P

Good Luck!

Larry

#12 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 11:14 AM

Stef..
Another thing I forgot..
My beloved BJ would pee on command. I started it with him when he was VERY young, and maybe this would work.
I'd bring him outside, and I'd just keep on saying, "Go pee-pee, go on, go pee-pee..." Then he would go, and I'd say, (Wow, do I feel like an idiot, just visualizing MYSELF when I was training him!!! LOL) "Pee-pee, GOOD BOY! Pee-Pee". I would keep on repeating it over and over. And then for the other, it was "Ok Beej, finish up, let's go." And he KNEW that "finish up" meant to poop, so we could go back in. Brody is learning these commands already, which is great, cause if it's cold/wet/rainy?? Just tell them, "Go pee, and finish up" and they KNOW what you're saying! :P
~Jen~

#13 mihalik1413

mihalik1413

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 11:26 AM

Stef..
Another thing I forgot..
My beloved BJ would pee on command.  I started it with him when he was VERY young, and maybe this would work.
I'd bring him outside, and I'd just keep on saying, "Go pee-pee, go on, go pee-pee..." Then he would go, and I'd say, (Wow, do I feel like an idiot, just visualizing MYSELF when I was training him!!! LOL) "Pee-pee, GOOD BOY!  Pee-Pee".  I would keep on repeating it over and over.  And then for the other, it was "Ok Beej, finish up, let's go."  And he KNEW that "finish up" meant to poop, so we could go back in.  Brody is learning these commands already, which is great, cause if it's cold/wet/rainy?? Just tell them, "Go pee, and finish up"  and they KNOW what you're saying!  :P
~Jen~

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep Jenny, Mackey does pretty much the same thing. I say go pee or go poop and he usually does. Like anything repetition will teach them. I use the same commands and tried to hold the same schedule till they have controll over their bladders and attitudes. :P :D :P

Larry

#14 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 12:26 PM

Yup! We use "Potty" to go. Wes will go on command. Tux will pee on command, but it's the other that is more elusive. (They almost always CAN pee.) :P I never associated a word with the "other" I know when Wes has to go and he's QUICK about it. I'll start doing that with both of them! :P

I use words for all kinds of things. Wes can distinguish between rope/dolly/pumpkin-man/kong. I read a lot before we got Wes and managed (somehow) to do a lot of things right. He was housetrained SO quickly - so that's what threw me with Tux.

Thanks so much for all your help and advice. I really appreciate it!

Cheers!
Stef

#15 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 12:31 PM

Yup!  We use "Potty" to go.  Wes will go on command.  Tux will pee on command, but it's the other that is more elusive.  (They almost always CAN pee.)  :P  I never associated a word with the "other"  I know when Wes has to go and he's QUICK about it.  I'll start doing that with both of them!  :P

I use words for all kinds of things.  Wes can distinguish between rope/dolly/pumpkin-man/kong.  I read a lot before we got Wes and managed (somehow) to do a lot of things right.  He was housetrained SO quickly - so that's what threw me with Tux.

Thanks so much for all your help and advice.  I really appreciate it!

Cheers!
Stef

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I didn't mention also that I went out with Adonis every time and he would go and we did use the word "potty", it just takes more time with some dogs. It'll come, just be consistent, and it will come.

Stanley Coren

#16 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 01:50 PM

Okay our potty word is "hurry up". I didn't MEAN for it to be a command but our first dog caught on when I kept saying "hurry up!" when it was raining and I was standing there in it. :P Since then all the dogs have understood "hurry up" to mean "take care of business, please!". Just sheer repetition... :P

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#17 ella

ella

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 01:56 PM

[quote name='Stef' date='Apr 26 2005, 07:29 AM']

[QUOTE]He gives NO warning. No sniffing, circling, etc. Just stands there - then poops. Even outside, it just kinda happens. It's so strange.[/QUOTE]

Have you checked with your vet if there might be something physically wrong.

Just wondering

Ella
Ella - mother of Princess and Bonnie Blue

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
-Josh Billings

#18 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 02:14 PM

Jane!! HAHAHA
I think I use that, too, with the dogs. And, from the same kind of situation...it being RAINY outside, and the dogs fartin' around!!! HAHA

#19 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 02:20 PM

Jane!! HAHAHA
I think I use that, too, with the dogs.  And, from the same kind of situation...it being RAINY outside, and the dogs fartin' around!!!  HAHA

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It took awhile to train Larry not to use the phrase in the house. :P

Jane
:P

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

*bark?*

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

#20 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 26 April 2005 - 04:00 PM

Ella,

The vet checked him on Thursday and he's all clear. So there's no physiological problem.

I'm thinking it's just going to take a little longer. :P

Thanks!
Stef

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users