30 replies to this topic

#1 Dobiegirl51

Dobiegirl51

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 09:46 PM

Ok, don't get me wrong here I am totaly attatched to Logan and he is attatched to me like velcro but my husband is ready to bring him back to Arda........ :w00t:

When he's good he's real good but when he's bad he is beyond bad :innocent: ,,,,,he barks like crazy when ever he sees a bird, a butterfly, a squirrel, hears a bird and I don't mean a ruff ruff oh no he is like a mad dog, spit flying fur up and wild running into everything. We have tried the squirt bottle with quiet, shaking the container with a treat, with quiet, grabbing his collar with quiet. Yesterday we went to our property and my husband drove the truck and Logan was with me in the Blazer, when he saw the neighbors horse, which he has seen several times before, he went balistic and my husband went to open the back and I had ahold of the lead and he literally jerked my arm so hard that I think my rotator cuff is torn again...good thing I was sittin cuz I surely would of wet myself from the pain :stuart: We have always had our furkids as puppies and been able to train right off in the beginning so this is really a new adventure for us, not to mention we are much older now.... :rolleyes:
We don't know what else to do, I even spent 50.00 for this online corse that said he could stop Logan from barking.....ya right ......what a sucker I was :cry: I realize there is so much for him to see here as we live in the woods right now, so I am hopeing when we move there won't be much for him to bark at.....I hope. This is when we wish we knew more about his past cuz he sure can get wild on us. it's almost like he has never seen a bird before. Anyone got any suggestions sure would be appreciated.....

Trust me there is no way we are giving up on Logan and no Arda no way are you getting this guy back...hubby just had a moment of anger when he said that..he is all softy again. :thumbsup: Anyway we really need some suggestions on how to stop this barking,,,,,,

Thanks,

#2 Diana

Diana

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,200 posts

Posted 19 August 2007 - 09:54 PM

Are you sure you don't have Nixx ( Niki) at your house? She did the same thing, the birds the butterflies, you name it, just like she has never seen or heard them, and always had to bark at them too. It does get better as they are exposed to more, but, can drive you crazy until that takes place. Did I mention the chipmonks?? She has done some serious landscaping trying to capture them.
It is a totally different time taking a rescue pup, compaired to starting from the ground up as pups, but, it all comes together in time.
Hope all goes well with you, keep moving forward.
Diana and Nixx
SCD's Wild Child Gamble CGC

#3 Kzoo

Kzoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 06:41 AM

Don't get mad at me but Tessa has probably only barked 6 times in the 10 mo. that we have had her, at first I thought she couldn't bark-- :thumbsup: but boy she can whine!!!!!
On another note--- Java barks constantly, and this is what I do. I have a bottle of water and when she gets out of hand----*squirt* in the face and it works everytime!! She hushes right up.
Maybe that will help?
Melissa K.

#4 Vicki_Wood

Vicki_Wood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 08:48 AM

Don't feel guilty about threatening to take him back to momma Arda; you can't believe the number of times I've threatened that with Coby, but of course never would. A big dog out of control can be so frustrating. My female will bark when she actually sees something, she is stubborn, but will stop. Coby on the other hand will bark, bark, bark, bark I swear at nothing. Must hear something way off in the distance and carries on. Have had a terrible time breaking him of that, actually still haven't. I live in a neighborhood with very old trees and have a jackass neighbor that has taken it upon herself to feed every type of vermin in a 10 mile radius and it drives both dogs nuts; have actually put a bamboo screen on the back fence so my dogs can't see all the vermin in her yard. I am no expert, but it seems to me the males are much more intense on protecting their property and flapping their big mouths.

#5 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 09:48 AM

Lighten up you guys and get a super soaker. I can't take mine back to Arda or anyone else as a matter of fact. Nobody will have them.
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#6 Dobiegirl51

Dobiegirl51

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 12:03 PM

Ok I give up whats a super soaker :rolleyes:

Sure you can Arda...just load em up drive out and drive back in...... :thumbsup: Like you really think we could give up these leaches/velcro furkids now :innocent: Not me.......

Lighten up you guys and get a super soaker. I can't take mine back to Arda or anyone else as a matter of fact. Nobody will have them.

#7 Annie Moon

Annie Moon

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 12:05 PM

My dogs bark like freaks when they see other dogs being walked down the street,
or hear a car door shut. They seem to egg each other on. Majik, the dobergirl, is the instigater.
"Quiet" and the squirt bottle work for me.
I know how annoying that darn barking can be... :thumbsup:
In Memory of Mariah He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.  ~Unknown~

#8 Kzoo

Kzoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 12:34 PM

"Super Soaker" is a very, very large squirt gun......loads of fun, if it isn't pointed at YOURSELF!!! :thumbsup:

#9 Dobiegirl51

Dobiegirl51

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 12:42 PM

Oh thanks, but we used an entire squirt bottle of water on Logan and it didn't phase him.....in fact I think he liked it :rolleyes:

"Super Soaker" is a very, very large squirt gun......loads of fun, if it isn't pointed at YOURSELF!!! :thumbsup:

#10 CathieRenee

CathieRenee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 02:10 PM

I am no expert, but it seems to me the males are much more intense on protecting their property and flapping their big mouths.

You've never met my Mom's Dobe, Suni. Every little sound or movement and she goes ballistic, spinning and barking and she doesn't care who or what is in her way. Kids on bikes and squirrels, especially, will set her off. She has broken at least one choke collar trying to get at something. Mom lives on a big farm so her barking is not an issue there. It is an issue when she comes here. We control it by keeping doors and windows closed when she is here, and either the TV or stereo on and then she is not too bad.

Casey rarely barked and never growled, even when people came to the door. He was my stealthy boy.

Zeus is in the middle. He sometimes will bark at people outside, but is not a maniac about it. He also has to investigate every little sound or movement outside, but usually is not very vocal about it and only needs a voice correction. I have not had to use a squirt bottle on him. I like that he does alert me to the fact that something is going on outside, so I will let him growl or bark a little, and then we go check it out and he will settle nicely. He surprised me at the WAC. I expected him to be alot more vocal at all the strange people and dogs, but he actually was very quiet and well mannered.

Cathie
Zeus - SCD Reigning Thunder, WAC, TT
Belle the Princess Cat
Casey - CTS Callisto's Eclipse, CGC, WAC, TT (05/14/96 - 02/15/07)

"Do not make the mistake of treating your dogs like humans or they will treat you like dogs." - Martha Scott

#11 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 07:14 PM

Would you consider using a bark collar to correct his problem? I think it's worth a shot if it protects his future with you. My girlfriend adopted a german shorthair and he would "charge" the property line everytime someone or something walked by. It was scary I'm sure! He'd start barking immediately when he saw his "victim" and continue until he reached the fence. With the bark collar, he was corrected immediately after he decided to start the unwanted behavior and after only two days, chasing after people became a BAD IDEA. I know some people are opposed to collars, but if it means a dog staying in his home, it's a small price for him to pay. They sell citronella collars too that spray in their face when they bark.....dobes hate to smell like mosquito repellant :rolleyes: Just food for thought :thumbsup:
Karen
We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare, and the love we can spare. And, in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

#12 Stacie

Stacie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 07:45 PM

Our dogs usually don't bark until the people walking behind our house start to harass them and throw their garbage over the fence. Our yard backs up to a main road and kids seem to think it's funny to provoke the dogs - my husband finds it even funnier when he puts the on the leash and walks out of the yard with them yelling, "won't be so funny if I let them go, now will it?". Not that he would ever do that but it does get a big fat Sorry real fast. And our baby Lilo is more protective than the moose, Magnum! He just follows what she does when it comes to growling and barking!
"Qui me amat, amat et canem meum" (Love me, love my dog)
The more people I meet the more I like my dog
"If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience"
-Woodrow Wilson
"Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate in their object-relations."
-Sigmund Freud

#13 Dobiegirl51

Dobiegirl51

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 20 August 2007 - 09:57 PM

We had one for our Emmy as one of the neighbors use to instagate her all the time.....It did ok but it pained me to see her jump when it zapped her....We did look for it the other nite but I must have packed it in a box that we can't find....I think we just need to calm down and take more time and work with him more, my husband is short tempered and patients are low right now....All in all I think he is a very well behaved boy...I keep telling my hubby we are lucky it could be worse... His future is secure with us, one thing is we are never ones to give up, especially on a furkid...he not going anywhere :rolleyes:

Would you consider using a bark collar to correct his problem? I think it's worth a shot if it protects his future with you. My girlfriend adopted a german shorthair and he would "charge" the property line everytime someone or something walked by. It was scary I'm sure! He'd start barking immediately when he saw his "victim" and continue until he reached the fence. With the bark collar, he was corrected immediately after he decided to start the unwanted behavior and after only two days, chasing after people became a BAD IDEA. I know some people are opposed to collars, but if it means a dog staying in his home, it's a small price for him to pay. They sell citronella collars too that spray in their face when they bark.....dobes hate to smell like mosquito repellant :innocent: Just food for thought :thumbsup:
Karen

#14 Vicki_Wood

Vicki_Wood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 08:52 AM

For all the baloney Coby has put me through I would NEVER EVER give him up. He has backslides now and then, but that dog tries so hard, I would not ever let him down, plus he loves us so much. It's just a standard joke at our house when I say he's going back to Arda's; actually, I even threatened my kids that they're going to Arda's and she's going to find a new family for them! Barking and his counter surfing are the last things that we have to work on, and the counter surfing is getting better all the time. He still is pretty hyper, but I know the thyroid medicine has something to do with that. When you take on the responsibility of caring for anything, in our family it's a lifetime commitment, good or bad.

#15 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 10:48 AM

Some day I am going to have to tape record Titan when he hears or sees things outside that excite him. I kid you not, he sounds like a bull moose in heat-a very horny bull moose, I might add. It's awful to hear. I don't know what Titan's past was, but I do know he was trained, and very well at one point or another (where he got all the scars on his face is another thing). Anyway, with him when he starts this I go to him and use my deep, stern voice and make him come with me away from the area he hears or sees something and make him lay down at my feet. And until the excitement is over I have to continuously give him commands to stay where he is.

Mary

Dogs don't know about beginnings, and they don't speculate on matters that occurred before their time.
Dogs also don't know-or at least don't accept-the concept of death.
With no concept of beginnings or endings, dogs probably don't know that for people, having a dog as a life companion provides a streak of light between two eternities of darkness
Stanley Coren

#16 Heather M

Heather M

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 21 August 2007 - 01:01 PM

Sanja tends to bark at everything she sees out the window. If we tell her "enough" and she doesn't stop she has to go to her crate-which is placed so that she can't see out any windows--kind of a time out. I know Cesar Milan (aka dog whisperer) is somewhat contraversial, but his dvds do demonstrate ways to deal with over reactive dogs. Logan needs to feel that you are the leaders and are in control of the situation--this will take time, patience and hard work. Good Luck!

#17 ella

ella

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 22 August 2007 - 10:42 AM

Everynight when I go to bed at around 1:00 or 2:00 I let Princess out to do her business. she will bark once. and if she doesn't get a answer from the other dogs in the area she just will come back in. If she gets an answer she will bark about three or four more times and them come on in. she must be telling everyone that all is well. My neighbors have never complained.
Ella - mother of Princess and Bonnie Blue

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
-Josh Billings

#18 Dobiegirl51

Dobiegirl51

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 11:30 AM

Well hello folks I am back on the internet, house is on it's way to being done.....we will be moving from a motorhome....ick which I have hated...to the barn till the house is done.

Logan has been fairly good......He really has a some VERY bad issues with barking. I am only telling our story so that others will think twice about using barker collars on a rescue.

Our new neighbors have goose and needless to say Logan HATES him and goes off like a mad dog ready to kill. We got the barker collar and every time it would go off he would yelp, jump then bite at his neck with his lips curled. Two weeks ago he about got lose from my husband, he grabbed Logan and got the barker collar which went off.........and then so did Logan on my husbands hand, bit him good, eight teeth punctures one went almost thru. We went to the ER and he did not need any stitches but Logan was about to become the ward of who ever would have him. To save Logan I left my husband and went to stay with a cousin while he recoverd and cooled down. In the mean time I spoke with our vet, the obediance instructor at our vets and both said he should have NEVER had a barker collar put on, especially not knowing what his past was. After about a week my husband fianlly agreed for us to come back and we hired a personal trainer to come to our property to observe Logan. Again he said the same NEVER EVER put a barker collar on a dog if you do not know it's past. Logan was evaluated and his not aggressive but needs ALLOT of work more than we ever intened to be doing while trying building a house. Logan is also our first male and our last.. never again, I will stick to my girls in the future. He has tested us on every aspect of training that he can, I've had 3 other dobiegirls and never once have they ever done the things this guy has. Fortunately for Logan we love him and will work till he is the best he can be, but without a barker collar or any other form of collar that shocks him.....A word to the wise think twice about using them..........

Sally

Would you consider using a bark collar to correct his problem? I think it's worth a shot if it protects his future with you. My girlfriend adopted a german shorthair and he would "charge" the property line everytime someone or something walked by. It was scary I'm sure! He'd start barking immediately when he saw his "victim" and continue until he reached the fence. With the bark collar, he was corrected immediately after he decided to start the unwanted behavior and after only two days, chasing after people became a BAD IDEA. I know some people are opposed to collars, but if it means a dog staying in his home, it's a small price for him to pay. They sell citronella collars too that spray in their face when they bark.....dobes hate to smell like mosquito repellant :hug: Just food for thought :sorcerer:
Karen

#19 Sydneysmom

Sydneysmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 12:31 PM

Wow, I am so sorry to hear Logan bit your husband and is being very trying (to say th least)!
I, personally would never use a shock collar. These dogs can get so wound up-you don't know how they will react!
Even the underground fences - I figured would turn Sydney neurotic! I just ALWAYS go outside with her - period.
Please don't rule out males. I am saying this and I have always had females, BUT, you know that every dog is individual
and like you said, not knowing his past, or any rescue's past, make it more of a challenge to get them trained properly.
I think with a lot of rescues, you first have to undo the bad that was learned before you can teach them the good.
I believe patience and consistancy will pay off.
He will reward you in the end! Keep on loving that little stinker!!!

Edited by Sydneysmom, 02 October 2007 - 12:33 PM.

#20 Stacie

Stacie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 02 October 2007 - 06:59 PM

Logan is also our first male and our last.. never again

Sally
[/quote]

Sally,
Don't rule out boys - I have had only males until now - all of my males have been laid back and quick learners - Lilo, our female, is a rimmer - has me on my toes 24/7! I believe it is a dogs personality on how they behave - I thought the same thing about females but with a lot of patience (tons) she is slowly learning the rules of the house. Good luck with Logan - he will be a good doberboy sooner than you think!
"Qui me amat, amat et canem meum" (Love me, love my dog)
The more people I meet the more I like my dog
"If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience"
-Woodrow Wilson
"Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate in their object-relations."
-Sigmund Freud

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users