9 replies to this topic

#1 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 07:38 PM

Has anyone ever heard of canines having bipolar disorder?
<span style='color:green'>"<span style='font-family:Optima'>The dog has seldom been succesful in pulling man up to its level of sagacity, but man has frequently dragged the dog down to his" </span>James Thurber</span>

#2 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 09:19 PM

Has anyone ever heard of canines having bipolar disorder?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Never heard of it in dogs, only humans, Cath, although pets do use prozac for obsessive compulsive behaviors so it's not too much of a stretch for me to believe it exists.

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#3 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 09:24 PM

I found this - don't know if it's reputable or not though.

Bipolar disorder is likely rarer in dogs than in humans, since unstable temperament is undesirable in dogs and often leads to early euthanasia. When bipolar disorder exists in dogs, it could manifest as unstable neurosis or "rage syndrome", a controversial diagnosis of behavior found in some pure breeds. The otherwise friendly dog can literally be sleeping one moment, and then the next moment attack without provocation. These attacks seem to resemble epileptic seizures, which is suggestive, since 10% of epileptic patients also have bipolar disorder, and almost all the new drugs used to treat bipolar disorder are epileptic drugs. Some of those dogs have thyroid problems and improve with treatment, showing that this syndrome is not due to "bad training." A project to diagnose and study the various causes and genetics of "rage syndrome" may prove promising.

http://cc.msnscache....n-US&FORM=CVRE9

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#4 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 10:04 PM

The article is factual. Sudden Rage is like a seizure that doesn't totally knock them out. The dog grabs the first thing in it's eye sight. Unbelievable and unnatural strength. It lasts a few seconds, does a lot of damage, and they don't remember it ever happened. It's very scarey. Kimba! I remember it well!
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#5 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 06:33 AM

Thanks Arda, Thanks Jane.

I was just wondering if it was possible and could not seem to find anything on it.

Gwennie, seems to have really super high moments, lasting for about an hour. Then she will have really super lows, crashes and you can hardly get her up.? She is very hyper most of the time, but she will go into these spazz attacks, that NOTHING will bring her out of. We can make her sit for long lengths of time when she acts like this and it does no good, if she is in that mode, she will go right back at it. :blink:

SHe never shows a mean agression, just running around like a lunatic, grabbing anything and everything in her path. She does the grabbing anyways but when shes on her super highs it's worse. Yesterday, her fits were really bad. I don't chase her when she is acting like this but if she goes by and I can catch her I will put her in a sit and hold her there to no avail. Suzzane, threw her down twice yesterday when Gwen ran by her and grabbed her muzzle. Gwennie got right back up and kept going. :blink:

Soo, we will keep working on it, but Gwen seems to be little slow when it comes to learning. :ermm: I just thought maybe, she had bipolar disorder. The super highs, then super lows :thumbsup:

Gwennie says ...." I've got to be MEEEE :wacko: "

Cathy
<span style='color:green'>"<span style='font-family:Optima'>The dog has seldom been succesful in pulling man up to its level of sagacity, but man has frequently dragged the dog down to his" </span>James Thurber</span>

#6 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 12:28 PM

Thanks Arda, Thanks Jane.

I was just wondering if it was possible and could not seem to find anything on it.

Gwennie, seems to have really super high moments, lasting for about an hour. Then she will have really super lows, crashes and you can hardly get her up.? She is very hyper most of the time, but she will go into these spazz attacks, that NOTHING will bring her out of. We can make her sit for long lengths of time when she acts like this and it does no good, if she is in that mode, she will go right back at it.  :blink:

SHe never shows a mean agression, just running around like a lunatic, grabbing anything and everything in her path. She does the grabbing anyways but when shes on her super highs it's worse. Yesterday, her fits were really bad. I don't chase her when she is acting like this but if she goes by and I can catch her I will put her in a sit and hold her there to no avail. Suzzane, threw her down twice yesterday when Gwen ran by her and grabbed her muzzle. Gwennie got right back up and kept going. :blink:

Soo, we will keep working on it, but Gwen seems to be  little slow when it comes to learning.  :ermm: I just thought maybe, she had bipolar disorder. The super highs, then super lows :thumbsup:

Gwennie says  ...." I've got to be MEEEE :wacko: "

Cathy

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cathy, how much exercise is she getting? How old is she?

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

*bark?*

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

#7 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 02:51 PM

I walk her daily, except on rainy cold days like today.. :thumbsup: If I don't walk them I take them out on the golf course and let them run until their hearts content, I can only do that in early spring(now) late fall, and sometimes during the winter, depends on the snow, because the golfers don't seem to like 3 Dobermans running around them :blink: )

Her owner surrender papers say shes 4 but she acts like she is 1.

I think she might be mildly retarded. :ermm: I have a feeling that her pervious owners could not take it anymore.

Cathy

#8 Kari

Kari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 03:08 PM

Cathy I think she is great !! She fits in so well with the family :thumbsup:
Smile well and often, it makes people wonder what you've been up to." -- Satchel Paige

#9 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 03:11 PM

your right Kari, we are all a little on the crazy side over here. :thumbsup:

Gwen takes the cake... good thing shes not the size of Drakeo, she would have went through that window, not just cracked it to pieces. :ermm:

#10 Nancy Robinson

Nancy Robinson

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 08 January 2012 - 02:25 PM

:icon12: I was going through the forum and ran across this.

My parents had a dog that was bipolar. Geez he was scary

you never knew when he was going to go off. I am generally

not standoffish with dogs, but this guy............WOW. My

Dad use to call him "SADAM"
My Mother well that was

a different story...he was just a poor kid that couldn't
M
help it. :thumbsup: Me well I am not going to say what I would call
him. :thumbsup:

Nancy

"Until one has LOVED AN ANIMAL, part of
their SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"

"
Yesterday is "HISTORY", Today is a "GIFT" and Tomorrow is a "MYSTERY"

"Always always try to be the" BEST YOU CAN BE"

Do not walk in front of me - I may not follow.
Do not walk behind me - I may not lead.
But walk beside me - and be my friend.

May you always have Love to Share
Health to Spare
and Friends who Care

Forever locked in my Heart

"I CARRY YOUR HEARTS IN MY HEART"........FOREVER

My "WHITE ANGEL".....Sweet sweet Schaudeh
4/17/1999...............5/14/2013
My "Bounty Hunter"
11/6/2000.......8/3/2009
My "Miks Von Rom Mateese"