30 replies to this topic

#21 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 11:19 AM

They have released the new ordinance http://www.wnem.com/...875/detail.html It is 5 breeds now- Pit's, Rott's, GSD, Malmutes, and presa canarios. Dobes didn't make the cut. ;) I am glad I don't have to put a "dangerous dog" sign in my yard, but we still don't agree with the law, and will still attend the next meeting they have before the vote to speak against it again. I do, however, like the anti-tethering clause in it very much . That is going to benefit a lot of dogs here in Saginaw, of all breeds, if they enforce it.

It matters to the one you save.

SCD's Out on Bail CGC (December 17, 2008- April 27, 2018)
SCD's Stone Soup
SCD's Sixpence in my shoe
SCD's Hurricane Alley CGC (August 12, 2007- September 11, 2014)
SCD's Easter Buddy CGC (August 12, 2007- July 5, 2012)
Page, Princess Extraordinaire - (July 9, 2000- July 31, 2007)

#22 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 11:22 AM

Judge the deed and not the breed. It could be Dobes tomorrow again. IDIOTS!
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#23 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 06:36 PM

What a bunch of numbnuts. Especially the mail lady. Don't we all expose ourselves to dangers going to work? If she doesn't want to risk it, she should have chosen a better profession ;) . Maybe we should come up with a "dangerous patient" law to prevent me from getting hit, punched, and spit on.
I missed the part about the anti-tethering law. I hope it is enforced, but who is gonna enforce it if they don't see it? They are gonna have to rely on people reporting them, basically neighbors who can see into the person's yard. I want to know how they decided on the breeds that they did :Praying:
We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare, and the love we can spare. And, in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

#24 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 06:49 PM

Reading through the actual ordinance, it could be Dobes next year. http://www.saginaw-m...20Ordinance.pdf

© Any dog of a breed that appears consistently in the top five (5) of the breeds on credible, analytical
listings of “Most Dangerous Dogs” as verified and supplemented by local data and records for Saginaw County. The “list”
shall include any dog that by physical appearance could be believed by any reasonable person to have sufficient physical
or temperamental characteristics or behaviors to be a “mix” of any of the breeds listed or a “mix” with a non-listed dog
where the mixture exhibits the dominant physical appearance of a dog on the list, and any other dog that has the
substantial physical characteristics and appearance of those breeds on the list. Such list shall be updated annually and
available on the City’s website and in the City Clerk’s Office.

SCD's Stone Soup

#25 Bumpette

Bumpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,632 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:07 PM

....any dog that by physical appearance could be believed by any reasonable person to have sufficient physical
or temperamental characteristics or behaviors to be a “mix” of any of the breeds listed or a “mix” with a non-listed dog
where the mixture exhibits the dominant physical appearance of a dog on the list....

With wording like that, it sounds like they are hoping to eventually ban ALL dogs from the city of Saginaw. ;)
Happiness is a decision.

Susie Q
SCD's Darlin' Darcy - CGC
SCD's Mr. McBump - CGC
SCD's Liddle Diddles - CGC

Forever in our hearts:
SCD's One Cool Dude (7/05-4/10)
Ralph (SCD) (10/99-6/05)
Rex (SCD) (6/93-9/99)
Sheeba (BYB) (11/82-4/93)

#26 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:37 PM

Like J said to me, people think mine are Rott's all the time.

SCD's Stone Soup

#27 Joaquin

Joaquin

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:21 PM

Such list shall be updated annually and available on the City’s website and in the City Clerk’s Office.

Is it just me or does this sound like a blank piece of paper they can write whatever they want on? It doesn't exactly spell out how this list will be updated. This basically echoes their intent to have "Interpret-as-they-see-fit" ordinances like the security system ordinance used as an example of how this dangerous dog ordinance will be used. A council member said they imposed an ordinance that requires all houses with security systems to pay a $50 fee so that in the situations where city resources are responding to chronic false alarms by an obvious small fraction of security system owners, the city can recoup some of the cost. So why not just target chronic false alarms????? Because they are peeing on you and telling you it's raining!!! If the ordinance was for a specific purpose it would be authored that way but yet this council member said this ordinance as well would allow them to target problematic situations and doesn't mean they are going to target everyone who hasn't registered their dogs just as they haven't targeted everyone who hasn't registered their security system.

I don't agree with this writing ordinances in erasable pencil so it can be executed as they wish and I plan on telling them the same. Basing something like this on breed makes as much sense as ranking human criminal offenders and then telling people who share characteristics of the top five offenders that they have to register as dangerous people. You have a tattoo? Well so do the top five criminals so you have to register as a dangerous person.

I did see a flash of a postal worker seemingly at a meeting expressing the sheer terror involved with doing her job. Is it a breed that she is afraid of or the simple fact the dog is loose? Did this dog's breed let him out of a gated yard? Did this dog's breed abuse/neglect or decide not to train a proper disposition into it? So why attack the breed?

#28 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:21 PM

Reading through the actual ordinance, it could be Dobes next year. http://www.saginaw-m...20Ordinance.pdf

© Any dog of a breed that appears consistently in the top five (5) of the breeds on credible, analytical
listings of “Most Dangerous Dogs” as verified and supplemented by local data and records for Saginaw County. The “list”
shall include any dog that by physical appearance could be believed by any reasonable person to have sufficient physical
where the mixture exhibits the dominant physical appearance of a dog on the list, and any other dog that has the
substantial physical characteristics and appearance of those breeds on the list. Such list shall be updated annually and
available on the City’s website and in the City Clerk’s Office.

This is so damnn rascist it makes me sick. "physical or temperamental characteristics"? Maybe we should ban all the folks out there with shaved heads and dragging their pants. Anyone with tatoos too. This is nonsense and I would be pissed. And who is gonna be the judge of the dominant mixture of the traits? Some government paid animal control idiot who puts intact males in a pen together? Beam me up Scotty :thumbsup: !
We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare, and the love we can spare. And, in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

#29 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 08:29 PM

Let me slide this in here so it doesn't get lost. Both dogs are alive. One has been pulled for us and they are hunting a kennel for the tore up one. They will be moving this way as fast as possible.

Yes idiots.
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#30 Nancy Robinson

Nancy Robinson

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:43 AM

I HAVE ANOTHER NAME FOR THEM...................................
Nancy

"Until one has LOVED AN ANIMAL, part of
their SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"

"
Yesterday is "HISTORY", Today is a "GIFT" and Tomorrow is a "MYSTERY"

"Always always try to be the" BEST YOU CAN BE"

Do not walk in front of me - I may not follow.
Do not walk behind me - I may not lead.
But walk beside me - and be my friend.

May you always have Love to Share
Health to Spare
and Friends who Care

Forever locked in my Heart

"I CARRY YOUR HEARTS IN MY HEART"........FOREVER

My "WHITE ANGEL".....Sweet sweet Schaudeh
4/17/1999...............5/14/2013
My "Bounty Hunter"
11/6/2000.......8/3/2009
My "Miks Von Rom Mateese"
7/6/1990..........4/4/1999

"I LOVED you yesterday, I LOVE you today, and I will LOVE you tomorrow'"
for you have never really left me

#31 Nancy Robinson

Nancy Robinson

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:48 AM

This is so damnn rascist it makes me sick. "physical or temperamental characteristics"? Maybe we should ban all the folks out there with shaved heads and dragging their pants. Anyone with tatoos too. This is nonsense and I would be pissed. And who is gonna be the judge of the dominant mixture of the traits? Some government paid animal control idiot who puts intact males in a pen together? Beam me up Scotty :thumbsup: !

AMEN TO THIS KAREN....................
Nancy

"Until one has LOVED AN ANIMAL, part of
their SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"

"
Yesterday is "HISTORY", Today is a "GIFT" and Tomorrow is a "MYSTERY"

"Always always try to be the" BEST YOU CAN BE"

Do not walk in front of me - I may not follow.
Do not walk behind me - I may not lead.
But walk beside me - and be my friend.

May you always have Love to Share
Health to Spare
and Friends who Care

Forever locked in my Heart

"I CARRY YOUR HEARTS IN MY HEART"........FOREVER

My "WHITE ANGEL".....Sweet sweet Schaudeh
4/17/1999...............5/14/2013
My "Bounty Hunter"
11/6/2000.......8/3/2009
My "Miks Von Rom Mateese"