4 replies to this topic

#1 duboisdobes

duboisdobes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 11:28 AM

Hey everyone - it's been literally 2 years since I posted, but I wanted to ask if anyone has had any experience with Wobblers.

We adopted Ellen from Second Chance in Dec 2004 - I think she was 1 yr old. She's always been a very clumsy girl, but over the last year she has gotten alot worse and over the last 6 months we have watched as she stumbles, falls down stairs and lost control of her bowls. Basically stopped being her.

6 months ago she was diagnose with Wobblers. We tried Chiropractic Care and Laser Treatments...but nothing has helped.

We had decided that we would let her go soon - this week, but of course she had a great weekend. I know that everyone says that you will know when it is time, but I'm looking for some guidance. Is she in pain? The vet says they don't really know. I fear that she is going to fall and really hurt herself or one of her sisters...or one of us. I feel like we've given her a good life...she's unique and I truly believe someone with less patience would have given up on her long ago....but I also feel selfish. Do I just need to get use to carrying her outside? I don't want her to suffer and she isn't able to do the things the other girls are..she can't come up to bed with us, she can run and play outside, she can't go for walks...it really is horrible to watch.

Thank you!!
Teri

#2 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 01:13 PM

I am so sorry to hear this. I have never had to deal with Wobbler's so I have no advice there. I believe quality of life is important. When you can see in her eyes she is ready to go, help her go peacefully in your arms. Again, I'm so sorry that Ellen is going down hill so fast. Sending lots of prayers.

It matters to the one you save.

SCD's Out on Bail CGC (December 17, 2008- April 27, 2018)
SCD's Stone Soup
SCD's Sixpence in my shoe
SCD's Hurricane Alley CGC (August 12, 2007- September 11, 2014)
SCD's Easter Buddy CGC (August 12, 2007- July 5, 2012)
Page, Princess Extraordinaire - (July 9, 2000- July 31, 2007)

#3 Bumpette

Bumpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,632 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 06:03 PM

I am so sorry. Wobbler's is a terrible condition, and every dog that has it is a little different. Some dogs have a mild case of it, others have a severe case, and there are those in between. . John & I had a Dobe, quite a few years ago, that had wobbler's. I believe from watching him, that he wasn't in pain, he just didn't have feeling in the affected limbs, or it was a pins & needles type of feeling. I know Arda had a couple of her Dobes that had wobblers, and she used a harness on them made by Ruffwear. It is the same harness they use on Search & Rescue dogs, it has a handle in the middle of the dogs back. Arda would use the handle to help lift and steer the Dobe, kinda like carrying a suitcase. But Sarah is right...quality of life is important. Does Ellen still do the things that make her happy? Has she lost all control of her bowels, or is it an on again off again sort of thing? Does she still enjoy life? Generally you know it is time, when you see that she isn't enjoying life anymore, she is merely existing. Give her a gentle hug from me. :Frustrated:
Happiness is a decision.

Susie Q
SCD's Darlin' Darcy - CGC
SCD's Mr. McBump - CGC
SCD's Liddle Diddles - CGC

Forever in our hearts:
SCD's One Cool Dude (7/05-4/10)
Ralph (SCD) (10/99-6/05)
Rex (SCD) (6/93-9/99)
Sheeba (BYB) (11/82-4/93)

#4 duboisdobes

duboisdobes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:57 AM

I actually bought her a harness last night, but I'll look for one that is more of a suit case type...it can't hurt.

Thanks for your insight on quality of life...

#5 Nancy Robinson

Nancy Robinson

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:03 AM

:Frustrated: I am so sorry all of you are going through this. They

let us know when it is time and you will know. The quality

of life is the key. Being a pet owner and when we have

to make a decision is one of the HARDEST things we

have to endure. I again am sorry.

When the time comes even though your heart will break

let her go peacefully. Bless all of you and your are in my

Prayers and Thoughts hugs to all of you.

Nancy

"Until one has LOVED AN ANIMAL, part of
their SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"

"
Yesterday is "HISTORY", Today is a "GIFT" and Tomorrow is a "MYSTERY"

"Always always try to be the" BEST YOU CAN BE"

Do not walk in front of me - I may not follow.
Do not walk behind me - I may not lead.
But walk beside me - and be my friend.

May you always have Love to Share
Health to Spare
and Friends who Care

Forever locked in my Heart

"I CARRY YOUR HEARTS IN MY HEART"........FOREVER

My "WHITE ANGEL".....Sweet sweet Schaudeh
4/17/1999...............5/14/2013
My "Bounty Hunter"
11/6/2000.......8/3/2009
My "Miks Von Rom Mateese"