12 replies to this topic

#1 kschneider

kschneider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 04:13 PM

Within the last few weeks I have had huge issues with this food. I have been buying this for years and it is now making my three dogs sick. At first I thought maybe they had parasites so I took them to the vet but nothing was found. Terrible diarrhea and gas and they are all losing weight. They are on meds now and I fed them white rice and broiled chicken for several days and the diarrhea went away. I slowing started reintroducing them dog food and the diarrhea started again. I found several recent reviews online that said the same thing; that after using this food for years it has taken a turn for the worst. Any one else having problems??

I am bummed. Any suggestions for a good dog food that won't break the bank???
Kim

#2 Diana

Diana

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,200 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 08:16 PM

I use Fromm's food, very happy with it. They have several varieties to choose from, ranging in different prices. The Fromm's classic has a good price. Check FrommFamily.com to check the choices.

Hope you find something that will work out for you and the dogs.

Diana and Nixx
SCD's Wild Child Gamble CGC

#3 LibbyTea

LibbyTea

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 09:10 PM

Fromms uses their own packing plant. I think that earth borne does also. I like Origen but it is pricey.

#4 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 09:19 PM

We've been using the Diamond Chicken and Rice here.  So far I haven't had a problem.  Will start a close watch.  Give me an idea when it started to give you a problem?

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#5 LibbyTea

LibbyTea

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 14 December 2014 - 09:25 PM

I have looked online and see other people having the same issues seems as if the complaints started in the end of November.

#6 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 01:02 AM

We also use Diamond Chicken and Rice for the girls. Stone gets Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Stomach. I know it's not the top line food, but it's the only thing that doesn't bother his stomach and he does great on it. A lot of long time Dobe people use it.

It matters to the one you save.

SCD's Out on Bail CGC (December 17, 2008- April 27, 2018)
SCD's Stone Soup
SCD's Sixpence in my shoe
SCD's Hurricane Alley CGC (August 12, 2007- September 11, 2014)
SCD's Easter Buddy CGC (August 12, 2007- July 5, 2012)
Page, Princess Extraordinaire - (July 9, 2000- July 31, 2007)

#7 kschneider

kschneider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 02:35 AM

Accidents in the house and crate started about two weeks ago :( watery stools. Thanks for the suggestions, I was looking at the pro plan sensitive stomach so maybe I will give that a try....
Kim

#8 Dobes & Feathers

Dobes & Feathers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 10:52 AM

Accidents in the house and crate started about two weeks ago :( watery stools. Thanks for the suggestions, I was looking at the pro plan sensitive stomach so maybe I will give that a try....

Tractor Supply has its own brand 4 Health,its a reasonable or Nutro thats  a little $.

Edited by Dobes & Feathers, 15 December 2014 - 10:53 AM.

Dreams become reality one choice at a time.

S.C.D.'s Rhue ( Little Red Rhuebarb) 2008 or 2009 to March 2021
Forever your paw print in our heart's
S.C.D.'s Darling Darla Blue(LaLa for short)
Our Velcro Love Bug ( approx D.O.B Jan,2004 to June,2011)
& one of the many Queens prior
Autumn ( Black Lab)
Sept 1996 to Feb 2010

#9 KhellendrosXS

KhellendrosXS

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 15 December 2014 - 02:35 PM

We started using Diamond C&R for Metro a while back and hes been having some incontinance issues.  No soft stools yet but he seems to be off his normal potty schedule.  I just got a new bag the other day so Ill be keeping a closer eye on his poops when we helps me with chores.

#10 Joaquin

Joaquin

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:00 AM

Wow you have a helper huh?  We do too but I don't like the way Stone "helps" remove the poop from the yard!!! :Sick:

#11 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:49 AM

Yes, I'm up with Lady Bug tonight.  I think I will kill all of you if you are jinxing their food.  And yes it is soft.

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#12 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:49 AM

I hope all of you who are having these issues with this particular brand of food are contacting the company to report it.  They need to know!

There was a previous thread about Diamond food just a couple months ago here.  Some good information there, worth re-reading.

I've mentioned this before, but I switch brands every couple of months with my dogs.  I have a few very trusted brands that even my slightly sensitive dog does well on.  They include Holistic Select, Natural Balance, Fromm, Earthborn Holistic.  I would consider these brands to be in the intermediate price range.  A lower-priced brand that I have not tried but seems to have good reviews is Professional.  Also, I am not a member of Costco, but I understand they have a brand called Kirkland.  When we fostered a dog last year, he came with a bag of that.  I believe it is lower-priced but has a decent ingredient list.

Currently part of my treasured family and helping to make life fun and busy:

Hunter, the chocolate Labradeagle (or Beaglador)

Terra, the tall, gorgeous red Doberwoman

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

#13 kschneider

kschneider

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:28 PM

I ended up buying Purina Pro Plan for sensitive stomachs. $50 for a 33 lb bag. I think I might try buying it online at chewy.com, it's cheaper there. More expensive than Diamond but anything is better than cleaning up diarrhea.   :thumbsup:  and yes, I plan on report this to the company!

Kim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users