12 replies to this topic

#1 yahoosmom

yahoosmom

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 12:19 PM

Star starts her reactive rover class in two week. I can't wait to see how she is in the class.

We will be out side in Hines park with only 4 dogs per class with a lot  of space. She is fine after she meets a dog, but when she first see's a dog she is a little crazy (lol) people with a dog move away when they see how she reacts. I go on walks with friends and their dogs but she is used to those dogs so there is no problem she even wants to play.  I just need to get her to calm down around other dogs that she doesn't know. Hopefully all goes well in the class. She really is a good girl just protective of me.I will do what ever it takes to make her into a perfect dog that I know she is. :Star:  I will keep you updated on her progress.

Jill

#2 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 03:09 PM

I have 2 more for you to train in your spare time.  Hope all is good with you and that you are getting some hair.  You'll burn your beanie if you don't wear a hat out there.  Please let us know how she does in these sessions.  Good luck.

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#3 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 08:48 PM

Good luck, Jill and Star!  Looking forward to your progress reports!

Currently part of my treasured family and helping to make life fun and busy:

Hunter, the chocolate Labradeagle (or Beaglador)

Terra, the tall, gorgeous red Doberwoman

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

#4 yahoosmom

yahoosmom

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 04:45 PM

Things are going very slow in class. They don't want her getting worked up around the other dogs

they want her to stay calm so it is taking time to let her know it's alright. If she gets to worked up we take a break and go away from the other dogs. They are sending me to a behavior vet in waterford to see if she thinks she needs meds to keep her calm. I'm not to sure about that, but I will do what it takes to make her a happy dog, She is very protective of me maybe it's because I was so sick for the first year I had her. Now I'm able to work with her on the training. It's just when there is another dog around that she doesn't know. If she knows the dog she is fine. And so it goes........ :Star:  :doberman:

#5 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 07:47 PM

Hi Jill.  It sounds like you are definitely having some challenges with Star!  I think you are on to something with your theory that she is extra protective of you because of everything she has seen you go through.  I believe they really do sense when we are dealing with illness, stress, anxiety, etc.  She seems like a sensitive girl who is really attached to you.  And who knows what her life was like before she came to Arda.

Of course we know that when our dogs have behavioral issues, it can take a long time and a lot of perseverance to overcome them.  I hope you have a good instructor who is teaching methods and techniques you can continue to practice for long after the class is over to help Star learn to relax and de-stress in the presence of others.  Hang in there!  It may be a long road, but you're a strong person who knows a lot about facing challenges.   :)

Currently part of my treasured family and helping to make life fun and busy:

Hunter, the chocolate Labradeagle (or Beaglador)

Terra, the tall, gorgeous red Doberwoman

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

#6 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:07 PM

I agree with the theory that she is overly protective of you.  After all.......they are Dobermanns.  I wish you could see Fat Fay go into action when Dennis is giving me a hard time.  She puts an end to it with nothing more than a rolled lip and her "LOOK".  They aren't stupid.  She knows when she has it good and she isn't going to loose it.  I remember Eric.  If you could make a dog out of Eric, you can do anything.

#7 yahoosmom

yahoosmom

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 17 September 2016 - 07:51 AM

Things are going better, she did good in the class if we got to close to the other dog we say lets go and go the other way.We don't let her get over excited or she will go over her threshold and it takes to much to calm her down. She is to hipper in the car and never settles down,wines the whole time. They tried trazodone but it still didn't help in the car.Besides you have to give it to her two hours before which is hard to judge your time ever time you want to go somewhere with her. Then it was to much for her after we got home all she did was walk around with her head down and sleep. So I won't be giving that to her I don't think she needs that.I am going to try a kong with stuff in it for the car ride to go for our walks. I have to drive to where there are sidewalks because I live on a very busy street and there aren't any sidewalks.Oh why didn't I think of trying this sooner. Sometimes we just forget the easiest things.Any way they did put her on a prosac type of drug to try once a day. But they said it will take 4-5 weeks before it will work.

I'm so proud of Star I worked with her in the yard with the dog out next door to us. The dog started walking towards us she looked at the dog then back at me I said lets go and she didn't react with all the barking and pulling  that she does PROGRESS you go Star. She even watched the man on the lawn mower which is very BIG for her not to bark at the lawn mower.Work in progress I just love this girl to much not to see her being a happy dog.

So the training will continue for as long as it takes. She has come a very long way from when I brought her home. She will even let people come in to our house as long as we say it's ok. Which is very big for her to trust new people coming in.

#8 yahoosmom

yahoosmom

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 02:57 PM

Don't know who sunfrog is so I' will not click on the site in the post above.

Could be a bad thing

#9 yahoosmom

yahoosmom

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 06:45 PM

I see it's gone, The post that was there. Thanks!

#10 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 06:54 PM

That's the mighty Joaquin.  Bet you wished you had a body guard like I have.  Thanks BIG BOY!

#11 yahoosmom

yahoosmom

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 07:00 PM

Poof and it's gone.........

:ph34r:

#12 yahoosmom

yahoosmom

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 07:58 AM

Just have to let everyone know how proud I am of Star.We were on our long walk the other day when a little dog off leash was running free. First the dog followed someone with another dog then he decided to come over to check out Star. He had to cross a busy street to get to us. Well there was a car coming 40 mph. I yelled and waved at the car coming that the dog was going to run right in front of her, The lady stopped suddenly with the dog right in front of her bumper. I was having a heart attack watching. this all happen. I knew I had to do something about this mixed little pug. So Star and I had to get to this dog before it got killed. So Star let the dog get near and smell her. Then I put Star in the car and went to fetch the dog. It had tags on so I called the # but the voice mail was not set up. So I got the address off the tag and put the dog in my car with Star, She was a good girl and just gave a few barks at the dog like to tell him off for running free.Then I saw a lady walking while I was driving to the address and asked if she was missing a dog. She said yes so it all ended well. Star was my Star for letting a unknown dog walk up to her without reacting badly. I just love Star. All ended with a happy ending. First time Star ever let a unknown dog come up to her and I while on a walk small or big. That's why I'm sooooo proud of her. All the work with her is paying off. :wub:

#13 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 30 November 2016 - 08:17 AM

Thumbs up for Sta.

Thumbs down for Bedlam.  I haven't got enough time to tell you what Bedlam puts me through in a single day.  Right now she is locked up tight so I can feed this group and see what's happening in "The World We Live In".  It was 9:30 last night when I could not find my tennie.  I no longer panic.  Grabbed my flash light and went to the playing field (the 20 ft area around the van) and retrieved it.  She has an area around the van that she deposits her trophies in.  Shoes, towels, tree branches, shredded blankies, toys, empty cans, dog collars, my undies, and nighties.  Looks like Liberty Land Fill.  Even JackAE walks past it with a discerning eye.  Have I told you lately that I hate Dobermanns?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users