#21 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 03:43 PM

Linda,

I am so sorry to read this. :flower: You did what was best for him. Amputation at 9 yrs old!? You loved him too much to do that. He will surely find your pack at the bridge. I hope his memories will bring you comfort. He knows what you did for him, and he is grateful. I truly believe that. Run free Grindle.

It matters to the one you save.

SCD's Out on Bail CGC (December 17, 2008- April 27, 2018)
SCD's Stone Soup
SCD's Sixpence in my shoe
SCD's Hurricane Alley CGC (August 12, 2007- September 11, 2014)
SCD's Easter Buddy CGC (August 12, 2007- July 5, 2012)
Page, Princess Extraordinaire - (July 9, 2000- July 31, 2007)

#22 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 04:13 PM

As sure as we believe there is a God, we have to believe they are together and will join you in the hereafter. You made the right decission for him and that's what it's all about. The dog, our best friend. I'm so sorry for you. I wish I could make it better for you. Bless you Linda.
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#23 Nancy Robinson

Nancy Robinson

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 05:19 PM

Linda

You have been in my thoughts.

I am so very sorry, you are in my thoughts and prayers. I know what you are going thru.
He is pain free now and running free.

God Bless you,
Nancy
Nancy

"Until one has LOVED AN ANIMAL, part of
their SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"

"
Yesterday is "HISTORY", Today is a "GIFT" and Tomorrow is a "MYSTERY"

"Always always try to be the" BEST YOU CAN BE"

Do not walk in front of me - I may not follow.
Do not walk behind me - I may not lead.
But walk beside me - and be my friend.

May you always have Love to Share
Health to Spare
and Friends who Care

Forever locked in my Heart

"I CARRY YOUR HEARTS IN MY HEART"........FOREVER

My "WHITE ANGEL".....Sweet sweet Schaudeh
4/17/1999...............5/14/2013
My "Bounty Hunter"
11/6/2000.......8/3/2009
My "Miks Von Rom Mateese"
7/6/1990..........4/4/1999

"I LOVED you yesterday, I LOVE you today, and I will LOVE you tomorrow'"
for you have never really left me

#24 Diana

Diana

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,200 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 05:27 PM

I am so sorry for you loss of Grindle, you did the best for him, but I know it hurts so bad. Hugs
Diana and Nixx
SCD's Wild Child Gamble CGC

#25 twodognite

twodognite

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 754 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 07:04 PM

Bonnie and I are sorry to hear of Grindles passing.
Our thoughts are with you.....

#26 dcarl47312

dcarl47312

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:42 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss,you did the only right and responsible thing for Grindle.I'm sure everyone here knows your pain and wishes you comfort!!

#27 Bumpette

Bumpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,632 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:04 PM

We're so sorry for your loss. Run free Grindle.
Happiness is a decision.

Susie Q
SCD's Darlin' Darcy - CGC
SCD's Mr. McBump - CGC
SCD's Liddle Diddles - CGC

Forever in our hearts:
SCD's One Cool Dude (7/05-4/10)
Ralph (SCD) (10/99-6/05)
Rex (SCD) (6/93-9/99)
Sheeba (BYB) (11/82-4/93)

#28 Kari

Kari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:38 PM

Linda,
I'm so so sorry about Grindle . He had a wonderful life with you and your family and was a very lucky boy when you took him home . Your in my thoughts .
Take care of yourself .
Kari and the kids
Smile well and often, it makes people wonder what you've been up to." -- Satchel Paige

#29 KellyB

KellyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 09:55 PM

I'm sorry to hear about Grindle, your are in our thoughts.

As a wise lady once wrote to me. "Thank you for loving him that much"

Always remembered
Never Forgotten
Forever Missed

Kelly
Dakota and Myles's Mom

#30 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 25 November 2009 - 12:44 PM

Linda,

I am so sorry for your loss of Grindle. My heart breaks for you.

Cheryl
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#31 924RACR

924RACR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 02:18 PM

Very sorry for your loss... he'll be missed.

Wanted to add in our experiences with bone cancer; we did choose, at 11 years (back this May) to go with the amputation and chemo. We I guess got lucky in the diagnosis, catching it before it got to Babylon's lungs - she was clear in x-rays both before and after chemo. She recovered very well from the amputation, though it was tough for her - she was a trooper.

But it seems that we didn't get a full clear picture of her overall health; turned out she ALSO had substantial arthritis in the rear legs, on top of displaysia. We figured that out after she again had trouble getting around months after her amputation, though she had already sorted out how to get around fine on 3 legs. The final blow was about a month ago, when she was diagnosed with a tumor in the spine; we had to say goodbye last Wed.

So the #1 point I'd make here, to anyone else facing the dilemma of amputation or other therapies - don't assume the other legs are good! Make certain they are, with xrays etc. We and the vets all focused on the worst leg, without considering other problem areas. If we had known that the rear hips were in such rough shape, I'm sure we wouldn't have been so willing to remove the one leg.

Of course, none of the above seemed to make much impact in just how long we had with her - doesn't feel like we could've made much difference to that, right or wrong.
Vaughan Scott
www.vaughanscott.com
Babylon RIP 5/29/98 - 11/18/09

#32 ella

ella

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 02:27 PM

Linda
I am so very sorry for your loss of Grindle. What a terrible year this has been for so many. Your in my thoughts and prayers.
Love ya
Ella
Ella - mother of Princess and Bonnie Blue

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
-Josh Billings

#33 brownsmom

brownsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 26 November 2009 - 08:18 PM

Linda - I am so sorry for your loss. I am sure your gang is together, running and playing without pain.

Honey Locust Hills On A Wing and A Prayer  DCAT CA (Faith),  Honey Locust Hills Little Leap of Faith DCAT (Hop),   Honey Locust Hills Notorious B.I.G CA DCAT (Big)  and UKC CHTurkhaven's Notorious RBG CA DCAT(Ruth) 

"Love is everything it's cracked up to be. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for." Erica Jong.   In memory: SCD Where's the Beef, CGC (1995-September 20, 2008); Athena's Dark Angel (May 1, 2009 - November 17, 2011); Second Chance Bow to Me CGC, RN (?-July 3, 2012); Second Chance Brownie Zipper CGC, RN (2000-September 23, 2013) SCD Catch Me If You Can  (2006 - May 3, 2016) DPRRM Sapphire Hidden Treasure, CGC (December 1, 2005- December 5, 2016)  SCD Watchful Princess ( - 2018) C-ATCH  CS-ATCH4 CS-ATE SCD Some Roads Are Rocky CGC, NA, NAJ, AXP, MJP2, OPF (October 10, 2005 - September 10, 2019)  C-ATCH5 PACH2 Shadow's On Eagles Wings, BCAT, CGC, TKI, NA, NAJ, XFP,  MJP2, MJPB, MXP3. MXPB, T2BP, PAX (Gabe) October 23, 2011 - May 26 2020)

UKC CH Ashtrick N Kettle Cove Irish Royalty, OA, OAJ, OAP, AJP, NF, OFP, CAA, CGC, SPOT, TKI, FCAT (March 4,  2015- July 29, 2022)

#34 Prince_Pride

Prince_Pride

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 12:20 PM

I came here looking for something about Prince. His rear end is REALLY going downhill the past week. I mean he is starting to be so lame he can barely stand for more than 5-10min, esp after waking up in the morning. He has been so unsteady and falling over a couple times that it is really starting to worry me. Yesterday I found a small lump (about the size of a quarter) on his chest. I am freaking out. Just at the pace he seems to be deteriorating.....I thought maybe Wobblers - but his symptoms sound so much more like this....I have a vet appointment on Friday for Koda for his checkup. I am going to call to see if maybe they will look at Prince too. I can't stop crying thinking that he may be on his last few months.....thats how fast he has been going downhill - just in the past week.

#35 Nancy Robinson

Nancy Robinson

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 12:54 PM

Hello Linda

I know I have replied to this before, but I wanted to say bone cancer can come on very quickly, well
what you notice. Hunter had been limping and I thought he had hurt his leg. Then he coughed, then
he laid, not wanting to eat. This was in a matter of maybe 4 days, I thought the effusion had come
back so I was constantly checking his coloring in his mouth etc., it was not good. I had already
made up my mind if the effusion came back I would not him drained again. That is what I thought
might be going on other then the limping, so I took him to my wonderful vet all kinds of xrays
were done and he confirmed it was bone cancer and how fast and progressive it would be, his
lungs were starting to fill and he told me it was time to quit. Hunter had been thru so much already
I know it is up to the owner as far as amputation, but even if his lungs were not filling I would
not have done that, I know people who have and it is their choice.

Hunter had been thru so much like I said, you have to put your own feelings aside and do what is
best for our wonderful faithful devoted companions, it is devastating and it about kills you
but they are free, they are with God and they are free.

You did all you could and so has everyone else on this forum who has lost their "BEST FRIEND" to this.
Nancy

"

Health to Spare
and Friends who Care

My "Bounty Hunter"
11/6/2000.......8/3/2009

#36 Nancy Robinson

Nancy Robinson

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 01:13 PM

I came here looking for something about Prince. His rear end is REALLY going downhill the past week. I mean he is starting to be so lame he can barely stand for more than 5-10min, esp after waking up in the morning. He has been so unsteady and falling over a couple times that it is really starting to worry me. Yesterday I found a small lump (about the size of a quarter) on his chest. I am freaking out. Just at the pace he seems to be deteriorating.....I thought maybe Wobblers - but his symptoms sound so much more like this....I have a vet appointment on Friday for Koda for his checkup. I am going to call to see if maybe they will look at Prince too. I can't stop crying thinking that he may be on his last few months.....thats how fast he has been going downhill - just in the past week.

Hello

I hope this does not post twice I am not having good luck today.

I would have him looked at ASAP. I know how you feel, my heart is with you. Your are in my
thoughts, it is so hard, maybe after he is checked out by your vet it won't be so bad
lets hope so.

Keep us posted and Best of Luck
Nancy

"

Health to Spare
and Friends who Care

My "Bounty Hunter"
11/6/2000.......8/3/2009

#37 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 03:32 PM

Nancy, I agree. I took some photos of Grindle on his last day. Having looked at them now, I should have let him go to the Bridge sooner. When you live with them every day, you don't always notice the change in their countenance. From the photos, I could see how truly miserable he was. It's a judgment call for all of us. I know that all of us who have had to face a similar decision, did everything they could to keep their beloved friend comfortable until, finally, the pain had to be stopped.

Prince Pride, you and Prince are in our prayers. Like Nancy said, have him looked at ASAP. I pray that Prince can be treated, and you will have good news from the vet. My heart goes out to you.

Linda

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ... I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man.
-------------------------
Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Sugar Bear 06/18/2017
Shadow a/k/a Little Snoopy
SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)
Greta Von Reiman (1972-1984)

#38 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 04:09 PM

Diane,

I"m so sorry to hear this. I hope the vet is able to give you a diagnosis. Don't let your mind jump to the worst. I know easier said than done. We will keep Prince in our prayers. My Bud has a giant lump in his mouth. When I found it I showed Arda, and she said "Dr. Karen". I can't tell you how scared I was. All I kept thinking was, cancer, cancer, cancer. It wasn't cancer! He has a piece of something in his jaw (his jaw has been broken) and his body made a "pouch" around it. I didn't expect to even be able to bring him home, I was thinking it was his time, and it turned out he was fine. I hope it is a simple thing with Prince too. Keep us updated and we will keep praying. :flower:

Sarah

It matters to the one you save.

SCD's Out on Bail CGC (December 17, 2008- April 27, 2018)
SCD's Stone Soup
SCD's Sixpence in my shoe
SCD's Hurricane Alley CGC (August 12, 2007- September 11, 2014)
SCD's Easter Buddy CGC (August 12, 2007- July 5, 2012)
Page, Princess Extraordinaire - (July 9, 2000- July 31, 2007)

#39 Nancy Robinson

Nancy Robinson

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 27 November 2009 - 04:38 PM

Your right Sarah, when our dogs get something, because we love them so much
we find it hard not to jump to the worst possible conclusion.
Nancy

"

Health to Spare
and Friends who Care

My "Bounty Hunter"
11/6/2000.......8/3/2009

#40 924RACR

924RACR

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 28 November 2009 - 09:21 AM

Praying for Prince, and you, and hoping it turns out well...
Vaughan Scott
www.vaughanscott.com
Babylon RIP 5/29/98 - 11/18/09

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users