#1 brownsmom

brownsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:35 AM

Cross Posting allowed.

We are very pleased to announce that Dr. Kate Meurs of Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine has identified a genetic mutation responsible for causing cardiomyopathy in Dobermans. A reasonably priced test will be commercially available in about two weeks through the Veterinary Cardiac Genetics Laboratory at WSU. ( http://www.vetmed.wsu.edu/deptsVCGL/)

Dr. Meurs is coming to the National to present her findings and answer questions. She is scheduled to speak on Monday, October 4th, 2010 at 10:00 a.m. in the Emerald Room. We will have the room for Q & A as well until 12 noon. Please spread the word so that everyone who wants to be there is made aware of this development.

Dr. Meurs deserves many accolades for this long awaited accomplishment for our breed!

Kathy Davieds DVM

Honey Locust Hills On A Wing and A Prayer  DCAT CA (Faith),  Honey Locust Hills Little Leap of Faith DCAT (Hop),   Honey Locust Hills Notorious B.I.G CA DCAT (Big)  and UKC CHTurkhaven's Notorious RBG CA DCAT(Ruth) 

"Love is everything it's cracked up to be. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for." Erica Jong.   In memory: SCD Where's the Beef, CGC (1995-September 20, 2008); Athena's Dark Angel (May 1, 2009 - November 17, 2011); Second Chance Bow to Me CGC, RN (?-July 3, 2012); Second Chance Brownie Zipper CGC, RN (2000-September 23, 2013) SCD Catch Me If You Can  (2006 - May 3, 2016) DPRRM Sapphire Hidden Treasure, CGC (December 1, 2005- December 5, 2016)  SCD Watchful Princess ( - 2018) C-ATCH  CS-ATCH4 CS-ATE SCD Some Roads Are Rocky CGC, NA, NAJ, AXP, MJP2, OPF (October 10, 2005 - September 10, 2019)  C-ATCH5 PACH2 Shadow's On Eagles Wings, BCAT, CGC, TKI, NA, NAJ, XFP,  MJP2, MJPB, MXP3. MXPB, T2BP, PAX (Gabe) October 23, 2011 - May 26 2020)

UKC CH Ashtrick N Kettle Cove Irish Royalty, OA, OAJ, OAP, AJP, NF, OFP, CAA, CGC, SPOT, TKI, FCAT (March 4,  2015- July 29, 2022)

#2 brownsmom

brownsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 08:38 AM

Now let's see if AKC or DPCA actually steps up to the plate to STOP PEOPLE FROM BREEDING these dogs. My bet is - no chance in you-know-where that these "non-profit" organizations will give up the money they get from fees and "well-bred" puppies.

Honey Locust Hills On A Wing and A Prayer  DCAT CA (Faith),  Honey Locust Hills Little Leap of Faith DCAT (Hop),   Honey Locust Hills Notorious B.I.G CA DCAT (Big)  and UKC CHTurkhaven's Notorious RBG CA DCAT(Ruth) 

"Love is everything it's cracked up to be. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for." Erica Jong.   In memory: SCD Where's the Beef, CGC (1995-September 20, 2008); Athena's Dark Angel (May 1, 2009 - November 17, 2011); Second Chance Bow to Me CGC, RN (?-July 3, 2012); Second Chance Brownie Zipper CGC, RN (2000-September 23, 2013) SCD Catch Me If You Can  (2006 - May 3, 2016) DPRRM Sapphire Hidden Treasure, CGC (December 1, 2005- December 5, 2016)  SCD Watchful Princess ( - 2018) C-ATCH  CS-ATCH4 CS-ATE SCD Some Roads Are Rocky CGC, NA, NAJ, AXP, MJP2, OPF (October 10, 2005 - September 10, 2019)  C-ATCH5 PACH2 Shadow's On Eagles Wings, BCAT, CGC, TKI, NA, NAJ, XFP,  MJP2, MJPB, MXP3. MXPB, T2BP, PAX (Gabe) October 23, 2011 - May 26 2020)

UKC CH Ashtrick N Kettle Cove Irish Royalty, OA, OAJ, OAP, AJP, NF, OFP, CAA, CGC, SPOT, TKI, FCAT (March 4,  2015- July 29, 2022)

#3 Nancy Robinson

Nancy Robinson

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:59 PM

Thanks for sharing, I have passed this on to my vet. I have to
agree with your comment on this. People need to get a GRIP.
Nancy

"Until one has LOVED AN ANIMAL, part of
their SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"

"
Yesterday is "HISTORY", Today is a "GIFT" and Tomorrow is a "MYSTERY"

"Always always try to be the" BEST YOU CAN BE"

Do not walk in front of me - I may not follow.
Do not walk behind me - I may not lead.
But walk beside me - and be my friend.

May you always have Love to Share
Health to Spare
and Friends who Care

Forever locked in my Heart

"I CARRY YOUR HEARTS IN MY HEART"........FOREVER

My "WHITE ANGEL".....Sweet sweet Schaudeh
4/17/1999...............5/14/2013
My "Bounty Hunter"
11/6/2000.......8/3/2009
My "Miks Von Rom Mateese"
7/6/1990..........4/4/1999

"I LOVED you yesterday, I LOVE you today, and I will LOVE you tomorrow'"
for you have never really left me

#4 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 02:12 PM

The test is an amazing breakthrough. I am excited to hear more.

It matters to the one you save.

SCD's Out on Bail CGC (December 17, 2008- April 27, 2018)
SCD's Stone Soup
SCD's Sixpence in my shoe
SCD's Hurricane Alley CGC (August 12, 2007- September 11, 2014)
SCD's Easter Buddy CGC (August 12, 2007- July 5, 2012)
Page, Princess Extraordinaire - (July 9, 2000- July 31, 2007)

#5 Joaquin

Joaquin

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:40 PM

Yes this sounds very encouraging, even if it takes a while to keep breeders honest and obviously will aid in early diagnosis.

#6 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 30 September 2010 - 07:37 AM

Time will tell..............and so it goes...............

God willing and the creek don't rise....we may save the breed................
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#7 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 07:26 AM

I couldn't get the link to work. Here's the full address:

http://www.vetmed.ws...rman/index.aspx

Great news indeed.

Linda

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ... I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man.
-------------------------
Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Sugar Bear 06/18/2017
Shadow a/k/a Little Snoopy
SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)
Greta Von Reiman (1972-1984)

#8 Nancy Robinson

Nancy Robinson

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 01:08 PM

There just has to be a way to SAVE THIS WONDERFUL BREED. :devil: :dance: :Shocked:
Nancy

"

Health to Spare
and Friends who Care

My "Bounty Hunter"
11/6/2000.......8/3/2009

#9 LuvmydobeApollo

LuvmydobeApollo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 06:11 PM

It sounds promising. i sent the link to 2 of the vets i work with to see what they think. hopefully it will help to save our breed!
Sharen

#10 dcarl47312

dcarl47312

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:25 AM

Now let's see if AKC or DPCA actually steps up to the plate to STOP PEOPLE FROM BREEDING these dogs. My bet is - no chance in you-know-where that these "non-profit" organizations will give up the money they get from fees and "well-bred" puppies.

It's very exciting news but you're right,the AKC realistically probably won't do anything and I doubt many breeders will either.Unless many more people make the effort to get informed and also demand that breeders prove they're following thru with the testing,this breakthru will only make a small difference.How many people don't even know the significance of the "Z"on their dog's papers?How many people have heard about DCM before experiencing it personally?
Of course I've been wrong a few(million LOL) times in the past and I really hope this is another example!!! I'm hoping this,along with the results from the research study that's going on now,will lead to some significant breakthru's with treatment and maybe even cures!!

#11 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:42 AM

I am floating on that same boat Don. I look at these dogs that are here. DCM or not they are here and presently alive. Their breeders are totally unknown. They are your next door neighbor, the sister of the guy you work with, or somebody on Craig's list. They have not done their research and they really don't give a darn. If the BREEDERS test and act on the testing, it still leaves these sweet back yard bred furkids that need a place to lay their head. I would love to see it disappear from the breed BUT.....I remember when the pictures of the first whites came out in the mid 70's. They should have put an end to that right there. Oh No......dollar bills and ignorance. Better than half the dogs coming in here that are black or red are carrying the "Z" factor. It could have and should have been stopped in the 70's. Now more than half the Mich Dobes are effected. What makes DCM any different. It should and could be stopped. Just my simple thoughts.

#12 Nancy Robinson

Nancy Robinson

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 09:59 AM

I agree yes it could have been stopped, what a shame. Backyard breeders, the
almighty dollar the Root of all Evil. Just like so many other things, lets wait
until something happens before we do anything about it. Something needs
to be done, this wonderful breed has just about been ruined by ignorant
and greedy people. Dogs have feelings, I think more then people. People
breeding like this need a good swift kick in the behind, they need their
heads examined. Sorry I just get off on a tangent. Makes me mad, so
many wonderful dogs GONE.

Nancy

"

Health to Spare
and Friends who Care

My "Bounty Hunter"
11/6/2000.......8/3/2009

#13 bumpster

bumpster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:13 AM

The people who buy from breeders should insist on the test. If the sale of the dog depends on a clean test then the dollars will force the issue. You can't fix stupid and there will be the a certain amount of people that won't do it. However if enough breeders and Dobe lovers are willing to work with it the breed can be saved.

As for testing my dogs. I won't do it. They are not for breeding and I wouldn't want to know that DCM was a sure thing in their future. I prefer the bliss of ignorance.
You think dogs will not be in heaven?
I tell you, they will be there long before any of us.
-Robert Lewis Stevenson-

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit,
you would stay out and your dog would go in.
-Mark Twain-

#14 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:16 AM

At $60 a dog I can't say that I will test them. Like you said, it just doesn't matter to pet stock that will never be bred. All we can do is love them.

#15 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 01:45 PM

I won't test mine either. The test doesn't tell you when they will get it. For example, say I test my 2yr old Bay and find out she carries the gene. I spend the rest of her life scared to death and she might not develop it until age 12. That would be 10 yrs wasted on fear and worry. I do hope the show breeders will start doing this test before breeding. If we could just have a clean gene pool, even a tiny one, it could ensure the safety of the breed. The puppy mills, commercial breeders, and BYB will continue to profit on the ignorance of the general public like Don said. Those greeders never cared for the breed anyways.

SCD's Stone Soup

#16 brownsmom

brownsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 02:47 PM

But the AKC could mandate it to register dogs, and end it in any registered stock...just like they could have with the 'Z' factor. Sample wording: "All breeding stock must be tested before registering litters with the AKC. All dogs carrying the DCM factor must be spayed or neutered to be registered with the AKC." But, hmmmm....wouldn't that take a huge chunk of profit from the AKC? Maybe offend some "top" breeders who's show lines are so filled with DCM (and Wobblers and anything else they can get away with in the free-for-all that is the AKC)? Wouldn't the puppy mill breeders that supply them with tons of registrations (and dollars) be inconvenienced, or PUT OUT OF BUSINESS?

Sorry - this infuriates me.

#17 Nancy Robinson

Nancy Robinson

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 04:47 PM

I would not have tested Hunter either, Lord you would spend your quality
time with them just plain worrying. I never planned on breeding anyway
he was a fixed boy. Seems like the world is all about money.

Nancy

"

Health to Spare
and Friends who Care

My "Bounty Hunter"
11/6/2000.......8/3/2009

#18 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:11 PM

But the AKC could mandate it to register dogs, and end it in any registered stock...just like they could have with the 'Z' factor. Sample wording: "All breeding stock must be tested before registering litters with the AKC. All dogs carrying the DCM factor must be spayed or neutered to be registered with the AKC." But, hmmmm....wouldn't that take a huge chunk of profit from the AKC? Maybe offend some "top" breeders who's show lines are so filled with DCM (and Wobblers and anything else they can get away with in the free-for-all that is the AKC)? Wouldn't the puppy mill breeders that supply them with tons of registrations (and dollars) be inconvenienced, or PUT OUT OF BUSINESS?

Sorry - this infuriates me.

At the very least they could add a "C" like they do "Z". I also assume they will do the very least. Money, after all, makes the world go 'round. :Shocked: The AKC makes a lot of money from those registrations. And the AKC has lost money lately, from what I've read.

SCD's Stone Soup

#19 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 04 October 2010 - 11:16 PM

As for testing my dogs. I won't do it. They are not for breeding and I wouldn't want to know that DCM was a sure thing in their future. I prefer the bliss of ignorance.

I'm scared enough of DCM. I cried yesterday because Bay did something that was so much like Page. I hate DCM. A curse on the people who will knowingly do that to a dog, a person, a family. :Shocked:

SCD's Stone Soup

#20 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 02:35 AM

Here is the link to the video of Dr. Muers presentation. I haven't watched it yet. Scroll down and click on the video to watch it.

http://www.ustream.t...rdio-dna-marker

Here is the link for the video on the stem cell research. The first 20mins are an overview of DCM, and then she goes into the research. Very interesting and educational. This gives me so much hope.

http://www.ustream.t...corded/10000682

SCD's Stone Soup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users