22 replies to this topic

#1 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 03:13 PM

Look, I'm a relatively new member here, and maybe this is none of my business, but something has obviously happened between the time I signed on this morning and this afternoon. The home page now has a special notice that says SCD will no longer be taking in dogs and does not currently have any available for adoption. I hope Arda is all right. I know she has been though some very tough times, but I thought she was on the mend. What has happened to all the dogs that were out there if they're no longer available for adoption? I've actually had my eye on Heidi for about a month now, trying to tell myself, yes, I can handle three Dobes.

Is there anyone in this group who is willing or able to enlighten me, and I'm sure many others like myself, about what has happened? And most importantly, is there anything we can do to help?

Currently part of my treasured family and helping to make life fun and busy:

Hunter, the chocolate Labradeagle (or Beaglador)

Terra, the tall, gorgeous red Doberwoman

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

#2 Diana

Diana

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,200 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 04:37 PM

I am also concerned and hope Arda is ok and everyone else that is closely involved with SCD. Maybe when the time is right, our questions's will be answered.
Diana and Nixx
SCD's Wild Child Gamble CGC

#3 brownsmom

brownsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 05:06 PM

Arda needs to have a knee replaced. The dogs that are currently there will be cared for and adopted out (three is a great number!) She just wants the numbers lower so that the dogs can be easily cared for by the staff. SCD is not closing, and, knowing Arda, dogs in desperate need (like Musky and Keagen) will probably still be able to find a haven, even if she has to crawl out to get them.

Honey Locust Hills On A Wing and A Prayer  DCAT CA (Faith),  Honey Locust Hills Little Leap of Faith DCAT (Hop),   Honey Locust Hills Notorious B.I.G CA DCAT (Big)  and UKC CHTurkhaven's Notorious RBG CA DCAT(Ruth) 

"Love is everything it's cracked up to be. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for." Erica Jong.   In memory: SCD Where's the Beef, CGC (1995-September 20, 2008); Athena's Dark Angel (May 1, 2009 - November 17, 2011); Second Chance Bow to Me CGC, RN (?-July 3, 2012); Second Chance Brownie Zipper CGC, RN (2000-September 23, 2013) SCD Catch Me If You Can  (2006 - May 3, 2016) DPRRM Sapphire Hidden Treasure, CGC (December 1, 2005- December 5, 2016)  SCD Watchful Princess ( - 2018) C-ATCH  CS-ATCH4 CS-ATE SCD Some Roads Are Rocky CGC, NA, NAJ, AXP, MJP2, OPF (October 10, 2005 - September 10, 2019)  C-ATCH5 PACH2 Shadow's On Eagles Wings, BCAT, CGC, TKI, NA, NAJ, XFP,  MJP2, MJPB, MXP3. MXPB, T2BP, PAX (Gabe) October 23, 2011 - May 26 2020)

UKC CH Ashtrick N Kettle Cove Irish Royalty, OA, OAJ, OAP, AJP, NF, OFP, CAA, CGC, SPOT, TKI, FCAT (March 4,  2015- July 29, 2022)

#4 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 05:21 PM

Thanks, Heather. I've been on this darn machine all day. Remember that the one arm is in a brace with a finger stuck out to aid in the hunt and pick. Then, have you ever dealt with 100 insurance agencies. The last one that called today says they would insure my home for $580 a year. Oh, yes, I look that dumb. It was over $1000 10 years ago when our insurance company moved out of Mich. Next, the dump. I fell over a dog bed today. Kathye thought we would have to move an engine puller into the house to get me back up.
Trust me, this is not the end of Second Chance. I can not do this alone with no vehicle and one hand and a finger to type. I have to have a new knee and I think it will be within the next few weeks. I also have this exceptionally large yard. It takes more than 2 days to mow it. I don't remember a husband out here helping. Then the little girl....Kevin and I were kind enough to dump 7 babies on her full to the brim with worms of every type and size. No news paper. and all the other dogs here. Would any of you drive off and leave your 19 year old at home alone? Kathye needs her life back. Even if it was nothing more than taking care of a yard and home and everyones unwanted Shepherds. SCD is not done....Please don't make this worse than it is. Please.
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#5 bumpster

bumpster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 05:44 PM

Thanks for the clarification, Arda. We were wondering what was going on. :)
You think dogs will not be in heaven?
I tell you, they will be there long before any of us.
-Robert Lewis Stevenson-

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit,
you would stay out and your dog would go in.
-Mark Twain-

#6 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 05:47 PM

Thanks, Arda, for giving it to us straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak. I didn't mean to speak out of turn or get into anybody's business. I was just concerned is all, and wanting to know if I could help in any way. As soon as I can figure out how to fit three Dobes in the back seat of a Ford Super Cab, maybe I can take one of those critters off your hands!

By the way, my stepmother had a knee replacement about a year ago and she is doing great. And my mother-in-law just had a hip replaced last Tuesday. She said the first day was tough, but she's improving rapidly. Best of luck to you. You will be in my thoughts.

Currently part of my treasured family and helping to make life fun and busy:

Hunter, the chocolate Labradeagle (or Beaglador)

Terra, the tall, gorgeous red Doberwoman

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

#7 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 05:49 PM

Thanks for the clarification, Arda. We were wondering what was going on. :)

Us too. Glad to know you're ok. We were hoping it was just for the knee replacement. Anything else you want us to see about getting replaced while you're in there? :P

Edited by doberpagegirl, 01 May 2008 - 05:53 PM.

It matters to the one you save.

SCD's Out on Bail CGC (December 17, 2008- April 27, 2018)
SCD's Stone Soup
SCD's Sixpence in my shoe
SCD's Hurricane Alley CGC (August 12, 2007- September 11, 2014)
SCD's Easter Buddy CGC (August 12, 2007- July 5, 2012)
Page, Princess Extraordinaire - (July 9, 2000- July 31, 2007)

#8 Dobiegirl51

Dobiegirl51

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:32 PM

Well it is nice to know it's not closing.....cuz it sure sounded bad on the main page!!!!

Good luck with your surgery my Mom is having it done on BOTH knees and she is 81!!

#9 dobbiehearted

dobbiehearted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:39 PM

lets get back to the newspaper......... I am going to SCD on Saturday.. on Friday if you live in the general area of Livonia.. Troy, Royal Oak.. Brimingham-- Farmington Hills.. Lincoln park........ lets make some drop off porches for news papers.. ...

I need two locations-- two porches and Iwill pick them up tomrw evening before it gets dark?

I can take them out Sat......--

one or two covered porches in that general above area.... we dont have much time- so hurry up.... drop off paper tomorrow.... and I will call the porches tomrw.... to get directions and approval.. you probably have dobermans so I want security clearance....

this is easy guys I think... if you live in the Royal Oak/ area or Berkley I can pick them up ..pm me...
My Beloved Lexa (April 1998 --Jan 2008)
My Cherished Loki -SCD ( May 2008- August 2012) *
http://www.secondcha...ic=6378&hl=loki
Baby Koda

#10 CathieRenee

CathieRenee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 07:59 PM

My Grandmother had both her knees replaced, twice. She said it was the best thing she ever did.

Arda, the Bionic Woman!

Cathie
Zeus - SCD Reigning Thunder, WAC, TT
Belle the Princess Cat
Casey - CTS Callisto's Eclipse, CGC, WAC, TT (05/14/96 - 02/15/07)

"Do not make the mistake of treating your dogs like humans or they will treat you like dogs." - Martha Scott

#11 bumpster

bumpster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 08:07 PM

Arda, the Bionic Woman!

:)
You think dogs will not be in heaven?
I tell you, they will be there long before any of us.
-Robert Lewis Stevenson-

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit,
you would stay out and your dog would go in.
-Mark Twain-

#12 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 08:10 PM

lets get back to the newspaper......... I am going to SCD on Saturday..

We will be out Sunday and I have some papers, but with seven pups what I have won't last long.

It matters to the one you save.

SCD's Out on Bail CGC (December 17, 2008- April 27, 2018)
SCD's Stone Soup
SCD's Sixpence in my shoe
SCD's Hurricane Alley CGC (August 12, 2007- September 11, 2014)
SCD's Easter Buddy CGC (August 12, 2007- July 5, 2012)
Page, Princess Extraordinaire - (July 9, 2000- July 31, 2007)

#13 Kennysmom

Kennysmom

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 08:53 PM

I have a couple bags full of papers that I'll be bringing out on May 11. I'm sure I'll have a bunch more before that day.

And....that knee surgery will be a drop in the bucket compared to the January fiasco. Arda will be back up and running around the swamp before you know it.
For the love of K.A.T.
Kenny, Akina (R.I.P.) & Tanner

#14 Diana

Diana

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,200 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 09:03 PM

Thanks for the update. I am so sorry Arda, that you will need another surgery, but, from what some are saying, it sounds like a piece of cake and you don't " crumble" easy, so, you will be up and running in no time.
Take care of yourself.
Diana and Nixx
Diana and Nixx
SCD's Wild Child Gamble CGC

#15 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 08:58 AM

Here's Brandon's bionic hip, Arda. If he can do it, you can do it...and your's is just your knee. You'll feel a billion times better!! :P The only problem he's had is going through airports. The little card they give you that says, "I have metal bones..." doesn't hold any water now-a-days and he still gets strip searched every time. :) He's learned to give himself pleeeenty of time when he has to fly. ;)

Attached File  Right_Replacement.jpg   46.66KB   0 downloads

I changed the note on the front page to say that SCD is not closing forever, only temporarily. B)
Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

#16 emsmall

emsmall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 09:07 AM

I, too, am a relatively new member, here. I've been up to my eyeballs in school work for the last few months, but I graduated from U of M - Flint last Sunday, so I have more free time. Is there anything I can do to help? I can help out on the weekends, donate stuff, run errands, do poop patrol, whatever. I come from Port Huron, so when I come, it would be for a whole day.

Let me know what I can do to help.

Take care, Arda!
Emily

#17 emsmall

emsmall

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 09:41 AM

One more thing: 2 years ago I switched my homeowner's and auto insurance to Amica. They are VERY competitive in their rates, no gimmicks, no BS. There is an office in Ann Arbor, but you can also just go to the website and request a quote. Their rates were much lower than our previous insurer, USAA, and that is highly unusual. Thay also give discounts if you insure both your home and auto w/ them.

www.amica.com

Give them a try.

Emily

#18 LuvmydobeApollo

LuvmydobeApollo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 09:17 PM

Arda is much too tough of a broad to be down for too long,, dont worry!! Please let us know if we can help in any way. Take care of you first.......

Sharen, Eva, Rueger, Chevy, and Tango

Attached Files

#19 Derek'smom

Derek'smom

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 11:41 PM

I was worried, too, and wondering what happened. Glad someone was brave enough to ask. Let us know when you need help... and watch out for those dog beds!!
Diane

#20 Ken

Ken

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 04 May 2008 - 08:46 PM

Yes, if you need someone to help with the mowing or anything else, please say the word. I think most of us just assume that it's all being taken care of by someone else.

Ken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users