#1 Nasus

Nasus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 25 December 2005 - 01:58 PM

Hi Everyone...
Well, here I am Christmas Day, looking at Abbey and reflecting how grateful and thankful and blessed I am to have her in our home this Christmas, and prayerfully, manymanymany more.
One of my passions, and basically my unofficial profession is cooking. I've cooked for the Air Force troops in their first stripes to thier stars, I've cooked for churches, schools, family, friends, and strangers. So, I wondered if we couldn't CREATE (not the big publishing company expensive ones) our OWN "SCD Cookbook" to sell both on E-bay, at Meet and Greets, whatever.
My suggestion would be that we place it in some slipped in pages of pics with us and our Dobes and our very favorite recipes that we've ACTUALLY perfected or use faithfully to entertain or please our own pallettes. We can put in a story with our pics, a note below our recipes, etc, but we can have beautiful cover made up and perhaps all gather out at SCD on a good day this early summer and put them on binders. ( I could borrow a heavy duty binding machine).
I KNOW it's early, but it's a good time to chew on the idea. I would like to "talk to" and perhaps "ask" JONI if she has any idea's or would be willing to CONSIDER the "putting together" the printing of this cookbook as she does such lovely work.
Ok, that's it, just a thought.
I'd even be willing to have a "Chili Cookoff" or something next fall and set it up somewhere here in Jackson to raise money for SCD, both for fun and for getting our dogs nature and beauty out there. SO many need homes, I'll do whatever I can, and planning is never too early.
THINK ON IT GANG! ARDA...please put in your VALUABLE opinion soon too ok.
If this has been brought up in the past I DO apologize. I just got excited, I don't do much well, but being family girl, a good cooker, and a Dobe lover I enjoy WAY too much to be totally bad at it :mellow:
Thanks everybody,
Suzi and AbbeyGirl :cat:
"let them (man) rule over all the earth, the fish, birds, livetock, all that move on the ground. Gen 1:26" Seems some misunderstood the word "rule" and exchanged it for "cruel", and now I give thanks to God for the "rescue angels".

#2 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 25 December 2005 - 08:47 PM

I like this idea. :mellow: I need all the help I can get in the kitchen. (Don't second that emotion, Arda or I'll keep bringing you food - and I mean home cooked. HA!)

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#3 Nasus

Nasus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 25 December 2005 - 09:20 PM

Oh Jane, I'm so glad...
I thought we could even have a special section of "Home-made Pet Treats" as I have so many of them that are healthy and yummy for the "kids".
Mainly my hope is to get the "family image" of the Dobes out there through a new means, pics with their families, and a family favorite story, recipe etc. And to ENCOURAGE people being at home, having some great recipes that they can afford to make and spend time at home with their families and "furkids".
I hope everybody will read this over the next couple of weeks and keep bringing it around so that we ALL can be a huge part...not one of those "clicky" things you see so many places have, but a REAL SCD FAMILY group effort and include all our own furkids and those at the Swamp! MAYBE ARDA SHOULD BE ON THE COVER??? Ok Arda, if you're wanting to swat me for that I'll take it back (but I DO hope you'll share your thoughts on this too)! I tell ya, I am in a position to SELL TONS OF THESE COOKBOOKS for SCD...it will be so awesome if we can rally!
suzi
"let them (man) rule over all the earth, the fish, birds, livetock, all that move on the ground. Gen 1:26" Seems some misunderstood the word "rule" and exchanged it for "cruel", and now I give thanks to God for the "rescue angels".

#4 ella

ella

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 25 December 2005 - 11:26 PM

I have a binding machine that will bind up to 500 pages. We can use it.
Ella - mother of Princess and Bonnie Blue

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
-Josh Billings

#5 Melissa34

Melissa34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 08:28 AM

I like the idea! Have seen cookbooks like this done to raise money for the nursing home down here. They are beautiful. Great idea! Count me in - any way I can help!
If you pick up a starving Dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man..." -- Mark Twain

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. -Roger Caras

#6 Nasus

Nasus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 09:16 AM

GREAT Melissa...hold that thought!
Suzi

#7 Kari

Kari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 10:05 AM

Count me in too!! Good idea Suzi :mellow:
Smile well and often, it makes people wonder what you've been up to." -- Satchel Paige

#8 Nasus

Nasus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 10:12 AM

Thanks Kari, once in awhile I have a brain wave:). More often my brain is controlled by "hormones" these days :mellow: !
Still, this idea will ONLY BE GOOD IF YOU guys are all a part. I'm not sure of all that will entail yet, but I'll be right in there doing everything I can to make it work for the "furkids".
Hoping Arda will find it an ok thing, and that it comes back to her and our Dobes in HUGE rewards.
Thanks again Kari ~ "HAPPY NEW YEAR" to you!!!
suzi

#9 keporter

keporter

keporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 10:16 AM

Actually, Kathye and I had thought about this last summer and did some research about it. We didn't think to ask anyone about putting it together ourselves. We had checked with companies who do it for you and with how much money you had to put out upfront and the quantity you had to purchase, we thought twice about it.
If we can all do it in-house with everyone working together on it, I think it would be great.

#10 Nasus

Nasus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 10:23 AM

Kevin,
I too have gone through the "professional" research back about a year ago, in fact have done that process with my extended family...a PAIN in a lot of ways, even though they are nice.
I think there are enough enthusiastic and talented and committed people in this great group to do a WONDERFUL "in house" job. Now, that's not to say there may not be "some" printing costs involved but that may not be needed either...still almost EVERYTHING can be done by those more computer savvy and with the right software. I personally think that EVERYTHING this group has done to provide for the furkids has been AWESOME, and I'm just excited to see the great outcome.
You and Kathye and everyone on the board together ~ it CAN work WITHOUT taking away the focus or work time or weekly needs at the Swamp or at home. Many hands do much work.
Glad to hear you're for this Kev!
suzi

#11 keporter

keporter

keporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 10:35 AM

I took alot of time researching the companies that do it for you and what a pain it was going to be. I still have a kit here which shows you how to get it ready to publish, so we may be able to use it as a guide.

Like I said, with everyone working together on it, I think it would be a great fundraiser. It would be nice to have something like them to sell at the Meet and Greets, and any of the shows SCD attends.
Kevin & Kathye

#12 docsavalle

docsavalle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 10:59 AM

count me in as well

#13 Nasus

Nasus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 11:14 AM

AWESOME Frank...thank you. You "men folk" might want to consider preparing some recipe ideas for "The Grill" and we'll do something creative with that area too. I'm not saying guys are limited to that as I love grilling as well, but it might be more interesting to "men purchasers" that way too.
Again, thanks EVERYONE...just in the next month or two be gathering some "recipes, think of some stories, take some special pics" and type the wording or print as nicely as you can so whoever takes the printing on can have an EASY time of it". We'll leave it at "who's in" and allow all of us to gather for now. When I hear from somemore talented people we'll go from there.
THANKS everyone, I'm so excited to be a part of this and help SCD and the furkids in a way that can REALLY get out there. Cookbooks can end up in a TREMENDOUS amount of homes, and they get veiwed by a pyramid of OTHER people from there. EVERYONE can know SCD family and what they are missing.
That CAN be a good thing!
OOPs...maybe we should get someone else to help besides me....I just "BURNT MY WAFFLES" sitting in here typing this.... :mellow: :cat: :(

You guys are all so great, REALLY you are!

#14 Nasus

Nasus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 12:24 PM

IMPORTANT EVERYONE PLEASE WHO WOULD LIKE TO BE MORE DIRECTLY INVOLVED WITH AN SCD COOKBOOK:

In researching this project last year for our family (my extended family chose a professional publishing co against my hopes), I did learn quite a bit for the "beginning valuables" in planning such an undertaking.

SO, I AM ASKING YOUR HELP (keep in mind Arda has not made a statement yet so this could all be stopped if she feels it a bad idea, I respect her thoughts!):

Help initially needed are in TWO CATEGORIES:

Category 1 = a COMMITTEE ( I LIKE "GROUP") to put together the CONTENT for the cookbook. Basically gathering everyone's recipes and pics and helping to categorize them, 1st step. Then create the Category "names", such as Grilling, etc., and creating a COVER.

Category 2 = another COMMITTEE (GROUP) to establish a "REPRODUCTION" plan. Such as gathering the recipes committe one has put together, sorting and placing in a format that we would like to have put to print, step one. Then, from that point it becomes more COMPUTER SAVVY dependent. SO, any of you who have great skills or great software for this are PLEASE STEP UP. But don't let this intimidate ANYONE from helping in this area as there is much left beside computer work, there's binding them, distributing ideas...lots of FUN, REALLY.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, JUST POST YOUR 'NAME' AND "CATEGORY I OR CATEGORY II
AGAIN CATEGORY I IS CONTENT AND CATEGORY II IS REPRODUCTION

We could EASILY raise several THOUSAAND $$$$$$$ in this project for SCD if we stick together and plan via this great site when we can. I don't want ANYBODY to feel THE LEAST BIT EXCLUDED, NO ONE is getting credit for this project, it's for the "furkids"...they deserve our excitement and our help. I know everyone is busy, and again, I DO NOT WANT TO TAKE AWAY FROM YOUR TIME, so if we follow a plan it will make little work for one person, and FUN FOR EVERYONE with a GREAT OUTCOME. :hug:
Love ya,
Suzi

#15 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 05:39 PM

I'm in...
I won't care what category I'm in... :D

I think this is a fantastic idea, Suzi!!! I LOVE cookbooks...I think I just like collecting them, though, versus actually USING them!! :hug:

#16 Nasus

Nasus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 06:10 PM

WAY awesome Jennymay!!! And I too collect cookbooks, MORE than I use them, ha! I'm always (I HOPE) "improving" on recipes so I use cookbooks as my baseline.
SO glad your pleased with the idea and on board~thanks for your willingness to just help.
HAPPY NEW YEAR...
suzi and abbeygirl

#17 Nasus

Nasus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 08:33 AM

Just gonna put this topic up to the top every day in hopes it won't be forgotten. REALLY want to do this for SCD and hope you all will jump on board, it's a TOTAL "famly group" project FOR the "SCD, ARDA and the Furkids". Talked with a friends step mom in Arizona who printed her own cookbook from her computer, cover, etc with a group in their modular home community...they sold $11,000.oo worth of their books in 15 months time! WE can do a lot, but "I" don't "have it all", meaning my gifts and talents are limited, I need EACH of you to contribute your sweet hearts and awesome-given talents to do such an undertaking. But just think...YOU will be able to experience the huge things that can be done for these great "kids" we adore. THANKS EVERYONE. I "won't pest, PROMISE.
suzi

#18 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 08:57 AM

Hey Suzi!!! Put me in Category 2 and I can put a few recipes in too... and can help organizing if need be...

Bella wants to be a "taste tester" on all the recipes...

Edited by jmnodwell, 27 December 2005 - 08:58 AM.

Joni
Emmalin Jane, George, Clyde, and Rascal (meow & hiss)
From the Bridge - Cosmo (12/2005), Katie (7/2006), Mr. Munchkin (11/2008), Bella DSA, CGC (1/2009), Skitter DSA (12/2010), Beau (11/2014), and Calvin (6/2017)

"The world of the generous gets larger and larger... The on who blesses other is abundantly blessed; those who help other are helped." Proverbs 11:24-25

"They that sow in tears shall reap in joy" Psalms 126:5

#19 Nasus

Nasus

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 09:01 AM

OH JONI "THANK YOU"!!! And I PROMISE Bella (and the furkids) can have first dibs!
I admit :hug: I was SO hoping you would choose to help in that area because I've seen the awesome work you do and KNOW it is NOT my area of expertise...I'm just the "visionary" girl with maybe SOME extra help in me here and there for FOOD:O).
You guys GENUINELY ARE AWESOME...
love ya,
suzi

#20 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 27 December 2005 - 09:23 AM

I have a few recipes to contribute but they are not my own. Would we need to document where the recipes came from or do we need permission to take a recipe from one cookbook and put it in another? Sometimes I come across recipes online that will say "copied with permission from AHA, blah, blah, blah." I'd be glad to help in either category. :hug:
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users