• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Csikes

Csikes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:48 PM

I guess I just needed to share Gracie with others to help in the healing. We lost our beautiful girl last Friday to cancer.

We got Gracie, our first Dobe, from the Doberman Rescue and Referal of Michigan in late 2004. She was a bit over a year old at the time and I must say she was quite the hyper one. She came from some abuse, we don't know the exact history but know she was bound by her legs with cord and think she may have been forced into fighting from some scars we noticed.

Anyway, I won't make this too long but she was so much apart of our lives along with our two cats and other dog (Thumper). They all got along like a big family. We got Thumper a couple years after Gracie as a pup. Gracie took him in and mothered him. Everywhere Gracie went, a Thumper was sure to go.

Some of Gracie's favorite things were the water, playing in the snow and napping. She was better than any eletric blanket in the winter. Gracie got to go bye bye quite often. Our last few trips were up to Copper Harbour last fall and to Minnesota to visit a family farm. She never got the chance to play around with horses and goats before and think she really dug it; the horses and goats not so much.

She was the type to always make her presence known. We think her main purpose in life was for everyone to pet her, and she let you know when you stopped. There were many times I would sit in my recliner and she came up to my feet for me to pet her with them; she loved her belly rubbed.

I think rescuing her was one the best things we have ever done. I admit at first I thought she may have been too much for us to take on. But with some support and obedience, we all found our place.

I personally am so proud we took an animal that may have not had a second chance and gave it to her. I am more proud to give Gracie the love she needed and to make her life worth something to someone.

She was the joy of our hearts. She was the good being done by humanity. She was life.

Love you so much Gracie Girl. You are always and forever with us

Attached Files

#2 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 03:59 PM

What a beautiful girl. She was a lucky girl to land with you. I'm so sorry for your loss. Our time together is always too short. They bring so much love and joy to our lives, it seems so much emptier when they go. Everyone here understands. They aren't "just a dog" they are our family members.

Run free sweet Gracie...

It matters to the one you save.

SCD's Out on Bail CGC (December 17, 2008- April 27, 2018)
SCD's Stone Soup
SCD's Sixpence in my shoe
SCD's Hurricane Alley CGC (August 12, 2007- September 11, 2014)
SCD's Easter Buddy CGC (August 12, 2007- July 5, 2012)
Page, Princess Extraordinaire - (July 9, 2000- July 31, 2007)

#3 Nancy Robinson

Nancy Robinson

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 05:07 PM

Oh I am so sorry. I am in tears. How anyone can abuse an animal is beyond me.

I can tell by her pictures and your words she was "CHERISHED" beyond a doubt.
What a pretty pretty girl. I am so happy you and her found each other. What a
WONDERFUL life she had with you and what a WONDERFUL gift she gave you,
just being Gracie.

They are truly our family......she is still with you in spirit......she remains in your heart...."FOREVER" nothing can change that...EVER.

RUN FREE SWEET GIRL.....RUN HAPPY AND HEALTHY
.........RUN FREE......Run as fast as your Dobie legs will
go.
Nancy

"Until one has LOVED AN ANIMAL, part of
their SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"

"
Yesterday is "HISTORY", Today is a "GIFT" and Tomorrow is a "MYSTERY"

"Always always try to be the" BEST YOU CAN BE"

Do not walk in front of me - I may not follow.
Do not walk behind me - I may not lead.
But walk beside me - and be my friend.

May you always have Love to Share
Health to Spare
and Friends who Care

Forever locked in my Heart

"I CARRY YOUR HEARTS IN MY HEART"........FOREVER

My "WHITE ANGEL".....Sweet sweet Schaudeh
4/17/1999...............5/14/2013
My "Bounty Hunter"
11/6/2000.......8/3/2009
My "Miks Von Rom Mateese"
7/6/1990..........4/4/1999

"I LOVED you yesterday, I LOVE you today, and I will LOVE you tomorrow'"
for you have never really left me

#4 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:05 PM

Everyone here has been there. Hope you fill the hole left by her. There are so many in need of a home right now.
You gave Gracie that Second Chance at life. She knew it.
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#5 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:18 PM

Your Gracie was a beautiful girl and so very lucky to have been adopted by you. It sounds like she lived a life filled with love and fun adventures. So many of us understand the pain you are going through right now. Her spirit will always live on in your heart and your memories.

Currently part of my treasured family and helping to make life fun and busy:

Hunter, the chocolate Labradeagle (or Beaglador)

Terra, the tall, gorgeous red Doberwoman

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

#6 LuvmydobeApollo

LuvmydobeApollo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 06:46 PM

im so sorry for your loss... she was beautiful! its so hard to lose them.... sharen

#7 Diana

Diana

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,200 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 07:48 PM

Very sorry for your loss, what a beautiful girl Gracie was and what fun times she had with your family.
Diana and Nixx
SCD's Wild Child Gamble CGC

#8 Pam

Pam

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:41 PM

I'm so sorry for the pain you are feeling right now. She looks like such a happy girl. Take comfort in knowing you gave her that happiness.

#9 Csikes

Csikes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 06:23 AM

Thank you all for the support and kind words. My wife and I really needed it. I can tell you we are comforted, but we just feel horrible knowing she had it tough early in then again late. Nothing we could do but to make her comfortable per the doc's recommendations.
It was good on that last day, we sat outside in the grass and other family members stopped to spend time. We originally wanted to have the doc come to us. I just didn't want my girl to go anywhere. Unfortunately we had to, but I think this was a good thing as her mind was still very strong and she may have some distractions at home when it was time.
I thank my vet so much for making it as easy on her as possible. I am truly grateful for that.

#10 Nancy Robinson

Nancy Robinson

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:59 AM

As I write this I am also trying to "practice what I preach", so many of
us have had a family member, myself included, that had a horrible
life before us. We found them, they found us, through the years with
us, they finally knew what "true love" and happiness was. Try to.......
ALWAYS ALWAYS
REMEMBER............

"LOVE IS THE MOST POWERFUL THING.....LOVE
HEALS ALL"
Nancy

"Until one has LOVED AN ANIMAL, part of
their SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"

"
Yesterday is "HISTORY", Today is a "GIFT" and Tomorrow is a "MYSTERY"

"Always always try to be the" BEST YOU CAN BE"

Do not walk in front of me - I may not follow.
Do not walk behind me - I may not lead.
But walk beside me - and be my friend.

May you always have Love to Share
Health to Spare
and Friends who Care

Forever locked in my Heart

"I CARRY YOUR HEARTS IN MY HEART"........FOREVER

My "WHITE ANGEL".....Sweet sweet Schaudeh
4/17/1999...............5/14/2013
My "Bounty Hunter"
11/6/2000.......8/3/2009
My "Miks Von Rom Mateese"
7/6/1990..........4/4/1999

"I LOVED you yesterday, I LOVE you today, and I will LOVE you tomorrow'"
for you have never really left me

#11 ohiodobe

ohiodobe

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:52 AM

I am so sorry for your loss. You wrote such a wonderful tribute I feel I knew her. You gave her a loving home and a road to happiness. A home like that should never go to waste. When the time is right please extend a helping hand to another in need. Adopt, foster or sponsor. I know my angels at the bridge smile when they see me do my best to help another. Linda

Edited by ohiodobe, 11 July 2013 - 09:53 AM.

"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principle difference between a dog and a man." ---- Mark Twain

#12 Olga & Larry

Olga & Larry

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 11:12 AM

Boy do we know how you feel, we lost 2 this year and that is hard. Always think of where would she be if you hadn't taken her in, you loved her, others didn't, you cared enough to give her a "home", others didn't. You did the right thing, others didn't.

#13 Annie Moon

Annie Moon

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:24 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. Your Gracie is a beautiful girl.
You gave her a life most dogs would envy..
My sympathy to all who loved her.
Run free Sweetie.
In Memory of Mariah He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.  ~Unknown~

#14 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 07:27 PM

I am so sorry to hear about your loss of Gracie. She was a beautiful girl, who truly had the ultimate second chance at life due to your rescuing her, and devoting the time and attention she needed. She was one lucky girl, who will live in your heart and memory forever. Run free, sweet Gracie. My sincere consolences to you and your family.

Linda

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ... I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man.
-------------------------
Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Sugar Bear 06/18/2017
Shadow a/k/a Little Snoopy
SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)
Greta Von Reiman (1972-1984)

#15 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 15 July 2013 - 02:56 AM

Gracie had a wonderful life with you...you made her part of a family and that is all a dog wants :rolleyes: . Run free sweet Gracie girl
We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare, and the love we can spare. And, in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

#16 Csikes

Csikes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 04:49 PM

Gracie touched our lives so much we wanted to symbolize her forever. I found a person who makes custom pet urns and we chose to have one made for Gracie. She put her in a scene of our choosing; in this case she loved the snow and catching snow balls so we went with that theme. The person sent us these photos as she is almost finished. Katie and I are very excited to also give Gracie a temporary home in this until we take her to Lake Superior where she loved the water. She will someday swim free forever.

Attached Files

#17 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:18 PM

How awesome! Nice work.
We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare, and the love we can spare. And, in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

#18 Diana

Diana

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,200 posts

Posted 01 October 2013 - 07:52 PM

Beautiful !!! What a special keepsake. :icon12:
Diana and Nixx
SCD's Wild Child Gamble CGC

#19 Joaquin

Joaquin

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 02 October 2013 - 03:50 PM

Very cool guys!

#20 Csikes

Csikes

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 07:32 PM

I don't know why this is so hard. I don't think I've stopped crying each night for a week.

Two weeks ago Tues at the age of 7yrs and 10months we lost my precious baby boy Thumper. Friends tell me it was due to a close relationship from the beginning with Gracie but I don't know. I mean he was suppose to be at least a 15 yr family member. This is very difficult for me because earlier this year I suffered a heart attack one night. Thumper heard Katie get home and he took her to the bathroom where I was. My boy saved my life but I couldn't save his. Diagnosed with advanced CHF and then 10 days later....WTH

My Baby Boy. He was always by my side.

Having another Urn commishined for him through the same lady who did Gracies.

If text would show tears, this darn thing would be soaked...

My baby boy

Attached Files

Edited by Csikes, 11 November 2014 - 07:37 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users