85 replies to this topic

#1 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 01:48 AM

We lost our baby girl Page last week. We were camping and it was a great 4 days. She was swimming,(she loved swimming,in her life jacket she floated so high her tail was still out of the water), and playing with my niece and nephew and her buddy Alice, my sister's short haired german pointer. We took her for a boat ride on the last night and we were talking about how regal she was and how she would go anywhere we went. Then later that night we were sitting by the fire and she was next to me and I was on the ground petting her side and she laid her head down at my boyfriend's feet, and she just passed. She was only 7 years old and healthy as far as we knew. She had some fatty lumps, but the vet did a biopsies and it they were all benign. I have since been reading about DCM on this board and other places, and I know that is what we lost her to. We have already filled out an online adoption form. Our house is so empty and lonely and I am home Monday thru Wednesday every week and I cannot take the silence. My boyfriend stayed home Monday thru Wednesday this week, neither of us were capable of going longer than an hour or two without breaking down. We had no idea this was common in Dobies. We were so shocked and horrified to lose Page, we tried CPR and mouth-to-mouth, but she was gone. She was the best dog. I know everyone thinks that of their own dobe. Everyone who knew Page loved her, she was the gentlest big baby. We always had dogs growing up, but Page was different. She's my baby and she loved me harder than any other dog ever. We actually bought Page when she was 8 weeks old, and were never seperated from her for more than a few days. She slept in our bed. In fact when she got to be about 70lbs., we bought a king size to accomadate our princess. The breeders we bought her from were nice people, we saw both parents, all the puppies, the living area, everything you are suppose to do. I thought that would ensure a healthier dog, but I had only heard about hip dysplasia or Wobblers, not DCM. I'm not sure if I should send a note to the breeders? They say DCM is familiar, so should I let them know? This board has really been a blessing to me just now. I read the post brokenhearted put up when her baby was diagnosed and I was grateful that I didn't have to see Page suffer. I know it was instant and I am so grateful I was petting her. We are hoping to adopt another dobe-baby to pour our love onto. It can never be Page, but we want to give another dog the kind of life she had. I know this is kind of long for my first post but I wanted to share a little of Page with people who would appreciate her. (We requested the breeder let us pick a puppy before cropping.)

Attached Files

Edited by doberpagegirl, 24 June 2008 - 09:10 PM.

It matters to the one you save.

SCD's Out on Bail CGC (December 17, 2008- April 27, 2018)
SCD's Stone Soup
SCD's Sixpence in my shoe
SCD's Hurricane Alley CGC (August 12, 2007- September 11, 2014)
SCD's Easter Buddy CGC (August 12, 2007- July 5, 2012)
Page, Princess Extraordinaire - (July 9, 2000- July 31, 2007)

#2 Melissa34

Melissa34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 04:59 AM

Page is beautiful...

I am sorry to hear about your loss of her. No matter if you have warning or it is sudden, the heartbreak is endless. We hope that you find some comfort here.
If you pick up a starving Dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man..." -- Mark Twain

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. -Roger Caras

#3 dobes4ever

dobes4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 05:20 AM

We are so sorry for your loss of your baby girl Page. Just try and remember all the wonderful times you gave her! Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this heartbreaking time.
Mike & Peg
Gretta
& Kloee the cat!
!

RV Innovations, LLC
RV Decks & Supplies
On-Line Store Coming Soon

#4 Kzoo

Kzoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 05:25 AM

What lovely memories you have. You have just left a legacy right here for her.
Prayers,
Kzoo

#5 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 07:11 AM

I am so sorry for the lost of your baby girl, Page. DCM is a nightmare for so many on this board. I hope you find peace in knowing that your girl was with the people she loved most, and was happy and loved at the end.
My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Mary

Dogs don't know about beginnings, and they don't speculate on matters that occurred before their time.
Dogs also don't know-or at least don't accept-the concept of death.
With no concept of beginnings or endings, dogs probably don't know that for people, having a dog as a life companion provides a streak of light between two eternities of darkness
Stanley Coren

#6 bumpster

bumpster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 07:23 AM

So sorry for you loss of Page. She was a pretty girl. Thanks for sharing your story with us.
You think dogs will not be in heaven?
I tell you, they will be there long before any of us.
-Robert Lewis Stevenson-

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit,
you would stay out and your dog would go in.
-Mark Twain-

#7 Stacie

Stacie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 08:05 AM

Sorry for the loss of your beloved and beautiful Page. Our hearts go out to you!
"Qui me amat, amat et canem meum" (Love me, love my dog)
The more people I meet the more I like my dog
"If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience"
-Woodrow Wilson
"Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate in their object-relations."
-Sigmund Freud

#8 debl

debl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:27 AM

I'm so very sorry you lost your baby girl, Page. She is beautiful and enjoyed your love. Everyone here understands and will be a great support for you during this time. Page will always be a part of you. I lost my girl, Ruby, a year ago in September to DCM. I still miss her. But I have a new boy and he is very special and unique, along with my schipperkes.

#9 Bgstk0529

Bgstk0529

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 09:51 AM

She obviously lived the spoiled rotten Dobe life, on the couch coverered with blanket. She was adorable and we are very sorry for your loss. The pictures show a very happy girl. Thanks for posting.

#10 Pam

Pam

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:11 AM

What a sweetheart. I'm so sorry for your loss. Unfortunately, all of us understand having lost a beloved dog to one thing or another, even if it was old age. I hope you will find comfort here & in the months to come with another baby who needs you.

Pam

#11 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:17 AM

So sorry for your loss. :P
Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

#12 brownsmom

brownsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 11:04 AM

Please accept my condolences. I lost one of my girls to cardio, and the shock is horrible, as is the grief that follows.

Honey Locust Hills On A Wing and A Prayer  DCAT CA (Faith),  Honey Locust Hills Little Leap of Faith DCAT (Hop),   Honey Locust Hills Notorious B.I.G CA DCAT (Big)  and UKC CHTurkhaven's Notorious RBG CA DCAT(Ruth) 

"Love is everything it's cracked up to be. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for." Erica Jong.   In memory: SCD Where's the Beef, CGC (1995-September 20, 2008); Athena's Dark Angel (May 1, 2009 - November 17, 2011); Second Chance Bow to Me CGC, RN (?-July 3, 2012); Second Chance Brownie Zipper CGC, RN (2000-September 23, 2013) SCD Catch Me If You Can  (2006 - May 3, 2016) DPRRM Sapphire Hidden Treasure, CGC (December 1, 2005- December 5, 2016)  SCD Watchful Princess ( - 2018) C-ATCH  CS-ATCH4 CS-ATE SCD Some Roads Are Rocky CGC, NA, NAJ, AXP, MJP2, OPF (October 10, 2005 - September 10, 2019)  C-ATCH5 PACH2 Shadow's On Eagles Wings, BCAT, CGC, TKI, NA, NAJ, XFP,  MJP2, MJPB, MXP3. MXPB, T2BP, PAX (Gabe) October 23, 2011 - May 26 2020)

UKC CH Ashtrick N Kettle Cove Irish Royalty, OA, OAJ, OAP, AJP, NF, OFP, CAA, CGC, SPOT, TKI, FCAT (March 4,  2015- July 29, 2022)

#13 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 02:15 PM

Thank you all for your support. We just keep telling ourselves she had the best life she could have. I know logically that there was nothing we could do, no way we could know. But my heart says she's my baby and I didn't protect her. One thing I can guarantee my next dobe will be eating taurine from day one. Anything I can do to try to fight this I will. I also saw that study in Ontario. I am about 1.5hrs from Detroit and I absolutely think it would be worth the drive twice a year to be in this study. Anything they can do to find out how to stop this. I told my boyfriend they just love so hard they wear their hearts out. :icon12: I am grateful for my faith now. I know my Grandpa will watch her until I get there, he loved dogs too. The Lord giveth and the Lord taketh away. Blessed be the Lord. :innocent:

SCD's Stone Soup

#14 Dobiegirl51

Dobiegirl51

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 02:20 PM

I am so very sorry to hear of your loss.....I understand all too well as I have recently lost my sweet Cody of 14 years. The pain never goes away but it does lesson some, we found getting Logan from SCD has helped ease the pain ever so much. Logan will never replace Cody or any of my other girls but if you have all that love to share you should do it as soon as you feel you're ready. For us it was immediately as we could not stand the lonely empty house.

Again I am so sorry :P

Sally new Mamma to Logan

Dobies Rule

Edited by Dobiegirl51, 09 August 2007 - 05:29 PM.

#15 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 02:47 PM

I cannot stand the empty house myself. The worst part is coming home to an empty door, no Page with a toy in her mouth. It sets me off every time. It helps to have a place where I can talk about it with people who understand she was NOT " a dog." She truly was my baby.

SCD's Stone Soup

#16 Kimmi

Kimmi

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 07:42 PM

My heart goes out to you....please accept my condolences on Page...
A lot of us here have been through what you are going through.

Kimmi
Kimmi
Sehoya

#17 ella

ella

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 10:16 PM

I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful baby. She is running free at the bridge, waiting for you. May God Bless you and yours.
Ella & Princess
Ella - mother of Princess and Bonnie Blue

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
-Josh Billings

#18 Annie Moon

Annie Moon

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:07 PM

I'm so sorry to read about Page. What a shock her passing must have been.
My sincere sympathy. She was a beautiful girl.
In Memory of Mariah He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.  ~Unknown~

#19 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 02:02 PM

'Til I See You Again

New Arrivals! The ears perk up,
The tails begin to wag
Each waits with patience, loyally,
--My how people lag!

New Arrivals! The ears perk up,
Ones eyes begin to shine,
She jumps up and starts to run,
"That person, it is MINE!!"

I see her running, I run too,
To meet my little girl.
We've waited so long to be together,
Since first she left that world.

I fall to the ground with tears of joy,
She licks them off my cheeks.
With each other again, in His Kingdom,
We all find all we'd ever seek.

I miss you Page. Mommy loves you. :)

SCD's Stone Soup

#20 bumpster

bumpster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 11 September 2007 - 03:12 PM

What a nice poem. Did you write it?
You think dogs will not be in heaven?
I tell you, they will be there long before any of us.
-Robert Lewis Stevenson-

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit,
you would stay out and your dog would go in.
-Mark Twain-

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users