94 replies to this topic

#41 duboisdobes

duboisdobes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 09:56 AM

You are doing just wonderfully with these dogs; I am so impressed that giving one or the other up just was not an option and just look at what you've done in a short period of time. Great job.

I agree - my girls don't fight like yours were, and if Ellen tried to lay next to Jewels cage it would be an all out fight....even if Jewels was locked in she would growl and act grumpy. Looks like great progress...keep it up!!!!

#42 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 12:36 PM

They are beautiful aren't they? Although I might be just a little biased. Giving one up really wasn't an option for us, unless they were going to endanger each other. We still don't allow them to EVER be alone together, but maybe someday they can be. That is our real goal and I'm sure it will take a long time, but our kids are permanent residents, we don't rent. So Arda you can't have one back, but you sure won't talk us into another one at the reunion!!LOL

It matters to the one you save.

SCD's Out on Bail CGC (December 17, 2008- April 27, 2018)
SCD's Stone Soup
SCD's Sixpence in my shoe
SCD's Hurricane Alley CGC (August 12, 2007- September 11, 2014)
SCD's Easter Buddy CGC (August 12, 2007- July 5, 2012)
Page, Princess Extraordinaire - (July 9, 2000- July 31, 2007)

#43 Joaquin

Joaquin

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 01:03 PM

Yeah thanks for the votes of confidence guys, we really appreciate (and need) them. Just based on their progress so far we know they will come 'round and be great kids. All this progress and we don't meet with Maddy( she's a busy lady) until next Sunday! So we are confident and hopeful that she will be able to get us the rest of the way.

They are basically in manners boot camp right now and don't get away with anything, we are on them! It's hard with Buddy (lefty) cuz he is on movement restriction and can't go for walks with Alley and I and I know he is missing the exercise. And even with the daily 2.5 mile(45min. - 1hr.) walks that I take Alley on everyday still doesn't drain much of her seemingly endless supply of energy so she still gets crazy in the house every now and then.

They are both doing good with their commands. Alley is getting pretty good with sit, stay, lay down, and shake, in fact sometimes she wants to shake even without being asked to lol! Buddy pretty much knows his name now and makes eye contact much more often. He also is getting good with sit and stay.

Barring any more issues we are looking forward to seeing everyone at the reunion this weekend, see ya there!

Joaquin

#44 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 01:11 PM

And even with the daily 2.5 mile(45min. - 1hr.) walks that I take Alley on everyday still doesn't drain much of her seemingly endless supply of energy so she still gets crazy in the house every now and then.

I know what you mean. I can take Cocoabutt on a 4 mile walk and she still gets crazy in the house. She's a really knucklehead at times and fast as lightening too. :)
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#45 daveshore

daveshore

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 07:35 PM

Congratulations!!!!!! you guys have a couple of cute kids there....we love the natural ears!.....Earl says he likes them too!We hope you have a GREAT time with the new kids in town!!-Dave,Mary,Doc and Earl.

#46 Melissa34

Melissa34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 08:44 PM

Buddy pretty much knows his name now and makes eye contact much more often. He also is getting good with sit and stay.

I know that THIS may not seem like a whole lot of progress....but it really is!!!! When Buddy first came to rescue, we wondered if he was deaf. When he was spoken to he really didn't comprehend that words meant anything at all. It took several months to get him to make eye contact. Whatever his past is??? But one can only imagine that he did not experience much, if any human interaction. And that he certainly wasn't spoken to. He was slowly starting to come around. The fact that he knows his name and is feeling confident enough to make eye contact much more often is wonderful. Thank you!
If you pick up a starving Dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man..." -- Mark Twain

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. -Roger Caras

#47 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 13 September 2007 - 09:11 PM

We prefer the natural ears. They are so silky soft and floppy!! Our first girl, Page, we got from a breeder, and we asked they not crop her ears. We think they're pretty cute.

SCD's Stone Soup

#48 Sydneysmom

Sydneysmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 06:19 AM

So happy to hear they are making such GOOD PROGRESS!!!
My hats off to you for being such GREAT PARENTS, for never giving up
and having endless LOVE & PATIENCE with them!!! :)

#49 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 14 September 2007 - 11:21 AM

Melissa.
Whatever his past was, it certainly didn't include any affection or attention. The little guy gets soooooooooooo excited so easily. It seems like he was probably tied somewhere and ignored. He didn't seem to know what to do with himself inside a house. When we first came home Alley came in and jumped on the couch. She knew exactly what a house was. Buddy had no idea. He really has done so good at adjusting. He hasn't had an accident in weeks. IF he's not crazy excited he knows sit. Last night for the first time he didn't jump up 16 times while waiting for his dinner. I think he's starting to realize he gets food every day here. I don't think he did before. It breaks my heart to think of my poor boy being tied and ignored and treated unkindly. He is still pretty jumpy about being petted sometimes. I don't think hands were always nice to him. The way he ducks his head and shifts his eyes away is heartbreaking. He is catching on that there isn't anything to be scared of here, at least I think he is. When I take Alley out and he is alone inside he bays like my dad's old basset hound!! Hopefully he will realize soon that we always come back. When he had to spend the night at the vet, I walked in the next day and he started whining and thumping that tail. So at least he is starting to realize he belongs with us. Buddy has a long road til he is a happy confident boy, but he will be with time. :) You will see him tomorrow and you can tell me if you can see a difference in him. It is harder for me to tell since I am with him every day. He has definitely relaxed some, but I wouldn't call him calm lol.

SCD's Stone Soup

#50 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 25 September 2007 - 10:58 PM

We met with Maddie on Sunday. She observed each dog separately and said they are good dogs, and we can work on Buddy's aggression. I am going to start basic obedience classes with Buddy on Thursday. Maddie thinks the socialization will be good for him, and I do too. She said if he starts any trouble in class with another dog she will finish it. So I'm pretty excited to get him started. We would like to have enrolled both dogs, but the classes are the same night as Joaquin's college class, so Alley will have to wait to have a turn. Once Buddy has some basic obedience she said she will bring over a dog and we can work on his prey drive aggression. I will keep everyone updated on his progress. Also, in the last two days Buddy has growled at Alley twice for trying to come close to Joaquin and I when he was getting attention. He is acting possessive. Both times we crated him, the first time for a half hour the second time for an hour. So I really hope this class and Maddie can help him get over some of this anxiety. :hug:

SCD's Stone Soup

#51 Melissa34

Melissa34

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 04:39 AM

I hope the classes help too! Good luck and keep us updated!!
If you pick up a starving Dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man..." -- Mark Twain

Don't be afraid that your life will end, be afraid that it will never begin.

Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole. -Roger Caras

#52 Stacie

Stacie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 05:18 AM

You two are doing a great job and I give you lots of credit for not throwing in the towel on your dobies! Thanks for being so committed and keep up the good work - it will all work out in the end and you will have a peaceful house soon (as peaceful as it gets with 2 dobies)!
"Qui me amat, amat et canem meum" (Love me, love my dog)
The more people I meet the more I like my dog
"If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience"
-Woodrow Wilson
"Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate in their object-relations."
-Sigmund Freud

#53 Sydneysmom

Sydneysmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 September 2007 - 06:30 AM

You two are doing a great job and I give you lots of credit for not throwing in the towel on your dobies! Thanks for being so committed and keep up the good work - it will all work out in the end and you will have a peaceful house soon (as peaceful as it gets with 2 dobies)!

I soooooooooooooooo agree with Stacie!!!!
These kids need parents like you with so much dedication for their direction!
It will ALL be worth the hard work!!! You guys are great! :hug:

#54 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:10 PM

Well tonight was our first class, for the handlers only. Joaquin skipped out of his class early so we could both be there. After speaking to the vet we decided to enroll Alley in the class. The vet said one excited jump would be enough to re-hurt Buddy's leg at this point. So we are going to do the same exercises with both dogs, but Alley and I will be going to class. Still, I plan on doing the homework with both kids. And then in a few weeks when Buddy's leg is 100% Maddie will start working on his prey drive with us. We'll keep everybody posted.

SCD's Stone Soup

#55 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:19 PM

She knows her stuff. Bare with her. She can be a rough little woman but the end result is the best. Trust me, I've known her for a long time.
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#56 Bgstk0529

Bgstk0529

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 09:40 PM

Our Milley sounds like your Buddy when it comes to being possesive and aggressive. We have not tolerated it like you are doing and she has come miles in the fifteen months we have had her. Hang in there, make sure he knows you are the boss at all times and you will be amazed at what happens. Trust and consistency are key. :hug:

#57 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 10:34 AM

Just a couple more pix of the kids.

Attached File  HPIM1850.JPG   989.41KB   4 downloads
Alley and Buddy napping

Attached File  HPIM1845.JPG   920.94KB   2 downloads
Buddy sticking out his tongue

Attached File  HPIM1760.JPG   699.58KB   4 downloads
Alley the 75lb. lap dog

SCD's Stone Soup

#58 Sydneysmom

Sydneysmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 12:28 PM

GREAT PICS!!!
They are too cute!
It is so funny how they start laying/sitting the same, when they are together.
My dog & cat does that!!!

#59 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 02:47 PM

I just wanted to give a little update. Today, Buddy is officially off all restriction!!! :angry: So he is FINALLY allowed to run and play again. Try to keep your dobe from running for 2 months. It is not easy let me tell you! He has felt better for the last month and did not understand why we wouldn't let him play, poor little guy. However, WOW has his personality started to show. He is like a different dog. He has started to give us drive by kisses, and he is always right next to one of us. He and Alley play much more now, and they give each other kisses. At first only Alley initiated play, but now Buddy will start it too. I don't want to jinx it, but he hasn't growled at all in almost 2 weeks!!! :sorcerer: We still do not let them free in the yard together, but Maddie is coming on Nov. 11th to work Buddy on his prey drive. Last night was the first time we let them sleep without a barrier between them in the bedroom and we had no problem! Alley and I are on week 5 of class, and she will heel, sit/stay, and down. We are working on down/stay and finish this week. Buddy can sit, but he still gets excited and forgets he is suppose to "stay". Same with down, he will lay down, but then pop right back up as soon as I step back. Now that he is off restriction I'm going to start on heel with him too. They both sit and wait to be let out the door,and they both sit and wait to be told "ok" to get out of their crates, and they will both lay down while we eat, and they both lay down and wait for their own food. They have their own spots to eat and they automatically go to their own side at dinner times. Buddy still needs lots of socialization and to build more trust and confidence, but he has made such huge strides that we know he will do great. He is starting to act like the proud doberboy he should have always been. I am so proud of him, he is starting to trust us and that is the biggest step for him. We got some action shots, but I am just on break from work and I have to go back, so I'll have to add them later tonight.

SCD's Stone Soup

#60 Stacie

Stacie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 27 October 2007 - 03:40 PM

Sounds like you guys are doing great with both of them! Yeah Buddy - time to run like the wild man you are! You guys have really come along since you brought them home - great job!
"Qui me amat, amat et canem meum" (Love me, love my dog)
The more people I meet the more I like my dog
"If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience"
-Woodrow Wilson
"Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate in their object-relations."
-Sigmund Freud

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users