• Please log in to reply
75 replies to this topic

#21 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 08:59 PM

An update on Max: He is really a great dog. I am so happy to have him. He is a pleasure to have. He is starting to be a little more active, but you wouldn't know it from the following picture. Can anyone say,"Spoiled"?

And here is another picture. He is actually very smart and learns fast. I love taking him for walks. We run together and have a good time. I always hated mosquitoes, but now I really hate them. Tomorrow Max gets his heart worm pill. He has been to Dr. Karen W. and I like the way she treats Max. Also I boil chicken and cook rice and mix it with his Diamond natural chicken and rice. And I add some chicken broth to it. Max loves it

I have been to the dog park, but I get the feeling some of the other dog owners are apprehensive about dobermans. This is really too bad. I kept Max on the leash the whole time just to be safe with him. But some other dogs approached Max and he did just fine. I'm thinking of going to the dog park early morning when no one is there just to let him run.

Good boy, MAX!

Attached Files

#22 Diana

Diana

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,200 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:25 PM

Good update, sure sounds like Max is enjoying his new home and you are enjoying his company, love the pics.
Diana and Nixx
SCD's Wild Child Gamble CGC

#23 Nancy Robinson

Nancy Robinson

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 09:57 PM

:wub: Nice update and nice nice pictures.......spoiled nah not him, that's ok

that's what we have them for, they deserve it.

Yup the Dobermann thing...........if people only knew or would even take the

time to see what this wonderful breed is all about. :hug:

Nancy

"Until one has LOVED AN ANIMAL, part of
their SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"

"
Yesterday is "HISTORY", Today is a "GIFT" and Tomorrow is a "MYSTERY"

"Always always try to be the" BEST YOU CAN BE"

Do not walk in front of me - I may not follow.
Do not walk behind me - I may not lead.
But walk beside me - and be my friend.

May you always have Love to Share
Health to Spare
and Friends who Care

Forever locked in my Heart

"I CARRY YOUR HEARTS IN MY HEART"........FOREVER

My "WHITE ANGEL".....Sweet sweet Schaudeh
4/17/1999...............5/14/2013
My "Bounty Hunter"
11/6/2000.......8/3/2009
My "Miks Von Rom Mateese"
7/6/1990..........4/4/1999

"I LOVED you yesterday, I LOVE you today, and I will LOVE you tomorrow'"
for you have never really left me

#24 Bumpette

Bumpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,632 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 05:35 AM

I love the picture of Max sacked out on the blanket. :hug: Thank you for the update and pictures. :wub:
Happiness is a decision.

Susie Q
SCD's Darlin' Darcy - CGC
SCD's Mr. McBump - CGC
SCD's Liddle Diddles - CGC

Forever in our hearts:
SCD's One Cool Dude (7/05-4/10)
Ralph (SCD) (10/99-6/05)
Rex (SCD) (6/93-9/99)
Sheeba (BYB) (11/82-4/93)

#25 dobie sunshine

dobie sunshine

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 05:44 AM

Wow Max is one spoiled dog!!! Cooked chicken and rice in broth!!! He does have it made with you. THANK YOU so much for giving Max his second chance and a great home. I love the pictures of Max!!!

#26 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:18 AM

Thank you for the update Paul! Don't let anyone's prejudice ideas spoil your fun at the dog park. At our dog park, you HAVE to remove their leashes when entering the park. The leash can cause aggression from both your dog and others because the dog is "attached" to you. Just let him go and you will be amazed at how well a pack can operate on their own in neutral ground. Trust me :hug: . Max will change people's ideas really quick :wub:
We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare, and the love we can spare. And, in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

#27 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 03:16 PM

Thanks Karen with advice about the dog park. I will give it a try.

#28 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 02:04 PM

I have been to the dog park with Max twice since the last post. Great advice by Karen. I opened the gate, let Max off his leash, and prayed for the best. He ran around, played with the other dogs, always looked for me, and came running to me if we separated by too much. Got to know the other dog owners, and exchanged info about our pets. One guy couldn't stop petting Max, I thought he wanted to take him home. So we will be regulars at this park. I went to city hall and got Max his license and permit for the dog park. It turns out there is another park on the other side of town that the permit is also good for, so we will check it out. All in all, a very positive experience.

On a side note, Max's poops have been too wet lately. I read in the General Discussion section that two people use Solid Gold Adult Maintenance. I switched Max to that today and he seemed to like it. So far, so good and will monitor to see how he does. I also continue to boil chicken in batches and store it in the fridge in containers since Max really likes that. I use that as a treat and sometimes mix in his food.

One other thing. I have a nice sized grassy area behind my condo with trees and bushes. You would think Max would do his business there, but he won't. He only relieves himself when we go for a walk on the leash. It would be good for both of us if he would go behind my home. Specially on a hot day like today. Does anyone have advice on how to get him to go in the back yard? I have walked him around back there on the leash, but he just looks confused and stands around and sometimes just comes to me. Last night he did his business while on a walk and I collected it in the poop bag and put it next to the tree in my back yard, thinking that would let Max know it's OK to go there. No luck.

Anyway, thanks to all of you for your encouraging comments. They are important for a new owner such as myself. It's funny. I don't really know any of you, but our shared love for the dobe breed has brought us together on this forum for discussion and friendship. Thanks a lot and take care.

#29 Bumpette

Bumpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,632 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 03:56 PM

Sounds like Max is having a lot of fun at the dog park. I love how you describe him looking for you while he is playing, and coming to you, if you got too far away. That means he is bonding well to you .:wub:

As far as getting him to go to the bathroom in your backyard....maybe try walking him somewhere near enough, so when he looks like he is going to relieve himself, hustle him to the yard. When he goes, praise him a LOT. Or maybe get a pack of puppy training pads from a pet store (I believe they have a scent impregnated into them so the dog recognizes it as the 'right' place to go), and place one next to the tree that you want him to use. Maybe that will give him a clue? I've never actually tried that method, but it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot. :hug:
Happiness is a decision.

Susie Q
SCD's Mr. McBump - CGC

Forever in our hearts:
Ralph (SCD) (10/99-6/05)
Rex (SCD) (6/93-9/99)

#30 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 03 September 2011 - 09:47 PM

Max is being an excellent ambassador for the breed at the dog park :hug: . Glad it is fun for you both. Regarding Max's bathroom preferences, I just think he is smart Paul.....he knows you will take him for a walk instead of just putting him out back :wub: He's getting exactly what he wants! Seriously, I think I would do exactly what you did with his waste by putting it back there and trying to get him used to the idea. It's natural for a dog to want to keep their space/turf clean and do their business as far away from their "den" as possible.
Switching food can cause diarrhea, so give it a good week to settle his tummy. You can add a couple spoonfuls of PLAIN yogurt to his food or some PLAIN canned pumpkin to bulk up his stools....not prepared pie filling. Good luck and keep the pics coming :icon12:
We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare, and the love we can spare. And, in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

#31 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 10:40 AM

OK, thanks to Bumpette and Karen for great ideas and comments. I will try them. Will stay in touch and let you know How Max is getting along. Bye now.

#32 Nancy Robinson

Nancy Robinson

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 12:00 PM

Nice update he is a good boy. Yes, the switching of food should be gradual
to avoid an upset belly. Solid Gold is a quality dog food and I have been told
that by a number of vets as well as trainers.

Sounds like he is really doing nicely which is great for him and you. Hats off
to you both, what a nice new honorable devoted loving family member
you have there Jack. :wub:

Nancy

"

Health to Spare
and Friends who Care

My "Bounty Hunter"
11/6/2000.......8/3/2009

#33 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 09:54 PM

Jack -

What a great update! So happy to hear Max is doing well at the dog park. I love the part where he would come and check to see where you are. He's certainly bonded with you, to be sure!

I have to echo Nancy's sentiments about Solid Gold. She turned me on to it, and all my dogs look better, act better, and their coats are to die for. The other thing I noticed is that since I put them on it, the "ear goo" has almost totally disappeared. I think it's a great food. I've tried the Holistic, Adult Maintenance, but their favorite is the Hund-N-Flocken. Not a morsel left behind.

Keep the updates and pictures coming!!

Linda

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ... I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man.
-------------------------
Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Sugar Bear 06/18/2017
Shadow a/k/a Little Snoopy
SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)
Greta Von Reiman (1972-1984)

#34 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:55 PM

To Nancy and Linda, I have to say that Max is doing much better on the Solid Gold brand. It's called MMillennia, Beef and Barley formula. He eats it well and previous problems have gone away. We have made the dog park a daily thing in the early morning. It's shocking how strong these dogs really are. It makes me happy to see Maxie gallop like a horse. We see the regulars at the dog park every morning and Max approaches them and they pet him.

The picture below is in the kitchen in front of the cage. I rarely use the cage anymore. The other day I came home and Max was on my bed. My first reaction was to get him off there. But then I thought maybe he smells me when I am not home. So I put a sheet on the bed and now I let him stay there. Also I had some stuffed animals in my closet that were given as gifts some time ago. Max pulled them out of there and was using them to bite and chew. I died laughing when I saw this because I am not too fond of these gifts anyway. So Max found some toys to play with all on his own. Sometimes he is so silly I call him Silly Max.

Attached Files

#35 Diana

Diana

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,200 posts

Posted 07 September 2011 - 08:18 PM

Mr. Handsome, Max is enjoying life, glad the dog park is going good, sounds like he has made many friends.
Diana and Nixx
SCD's Wild Child Gamble CGC

#36 dobie sunshine

dobie sunshine

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:22 AM

I am so glad Max is working out so well for you, I never had any doubts that he wouldn't...Thanks for keeping us posted on how he is doing and for the pictures. Glad to hear the Solid Gold is working out for Max. Give that sweet boy a hug from Aunt Jackie.

#37 Jack

Jack

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:53 AM

Thanks Jackie, will do it for sure.

#38 Bumpette

Bumpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,632 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 06:10 PM

Thanks for the updates and pictures of Max. I LOVED the story of him on safari, hunting up toys in your closet! :wub:
Happiness is a decision.

Susie Q
SCD's Mr. McBump - CGC

Forever in our hearts:
Ralph (SCD) (10/99-6/05)
Rex (SCD) (6/93-9/99)

#39 Nancy Robinson

Nancy Robinson

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 07:10 PM

:wub: So happy the Solid Gold is doing well for you. The dog park sounds
good and he is having lots of fun and meeting new friends.

Very cute picture and it is really cute how he found his own toys, sweet
boy.............gotta love em and I know you do and he does you. :hug:
Way to go you two, thank you for the update..........more pictures please

Nancy

"

Health to Spare
and Friends who Care

My "Bounty Hunter"
11/6/2000.......8/3/2009

#40 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 11:39 PM

I'm glad Max is enjoying the dog park. What a great picture. I love the stories about the toys and climbing on the bed. It sounds like he is having a ball. :wub:

It matters to the one you save.

SCD's Out on Bail CGC (December 17, 2008- April 27, 2018)
SCD's Stone Soup
SCD's Sixpence in my shoe
SCD's Hurricane Alley CGC (August 12, 2007- September 11, 2014)
SCD's Easter Buddy CGC (August 12, 2007- July 5, 2012)
Page, Princess Extraordinaire - (July 9, 2000- July 31, 2007)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users