mihalik1413

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 25 April 2005 - 07:55 PM

Trick for keeping dogs off couches.
Tin foil.
Plain ole, cooking tin foil, you just lay it on top of the cushions of chairs/couches, whatever you don't want your dog on, and it works.  There's something about it against the pads of their paws that they don't like.  My mum did it with her shepherd, and it worked wonders.  NEVER jumped on this one particular couch, even after the tin foil was long gone from mum always putting it on when she left the house.
Just a thought!  :P
~Jenny~

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow Jenny great tip. You should start a thread sharing this tip in the training area. Make a thread about training tips that have worked for people. :P :D

Larry

#22 jastubbs

jastubbs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 10:58 AM

Just an update on our baby. Can't believe how quickly she's fit into the family. And can't believe she was looking for a home in the first place. So well behaved after we established that we wouldn't allow eating off the counters, table or from the 4 year olds hands :D

Such a lover. She prefers to always be with one of her humans but will go out in the yard a bit by herself now. We've discovered that she was probably trained with hand signals because she will almost immediately respond if we use the down hand signal for lay and point to the ground for her to drop her ball. Loooovvveeess playing ball and will play for hours - around the house she'll come drop it at our feet and - being rather slimy - we'll kick it and she's just as happy to chase it that way :D When I'm getting the rare moments of reading time in the recliner - she'll come over with the busted tennis ball (she always eventually busts them) and stand by my chair - squish, pause, pause, pause, squish (do you see me?) pause, pause pause, squish :P hilarious.

Cats are still all intact and getting a little braver. She'll still chase them if they run but can be in the same room with them and not go nuts at least - think with time they'll all get used to each other.

She's not a big fan of the car - once it's going she starts whining and it just gets louder and louder until it sounds like she's dying. Once it's coming to a stop she goes nuts to get out the door and will bowl you over if you get in her way. Maybe a bad experience? Seems to be much better in the van though :D

Also has discovered that leaning against the rolling desk chair will push me away from the computer :P She does so many hilarious things.

We're really falling madly in love and are thrilled to have found her. Thanks again to Arda for the wonderful recommendation and to all the people that help out at SCD. We'll be watching for the next get together to go out and help :P

#23 RUSTYSMOM

RUSTYSMOM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 11:11 AM

I am so happy to hear that she is fitting in great with your family. She sounds like she has been a part of your family for a long time and that is just wonderful
Congrats again and please send pictures. :P

Michelle & Rusty

#24 ella

ella

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 11:13 AM

I'm still waiting for the pictures I took of you all out at SCD. I sent them to Seattle Photoworks and sometimes it takes over a week for me to get them back. but they are coming. So glad that everything is working out.

Don't forget the fundraiser that will be at the Pet Supplies Plus parking lot at 808 W. Chicago Blvd in Tecumseh on May 6, 7, and 8th. A lot of us will be there selling flowers for SCD.

Ella
Ella - mother of Princess and Bonnie Blue

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
-Josh Billings

#25 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 11:23 AM

Wow Sounds like you all are having a great time!

Just a thought on the car ride, for long trips..... My Suzzane gets a dramazine pill,(motion sickness) 20-30mins before we go on long trips. you can get the non-drowsy and it really seems to help calm her down. If she does not have a pill, well lets just say you better have ear plugs :D that high pitched whinning can make a long trip seem even longer. :P

SO very glad to hear from you and please keep the posts coming.... means so very much to so many of us! :P :P

Cathy
<span style='color:green'>"<span style='font-family:Optima'>The dog has seldom been succesful in pulling man up to its level of sagacity, but man has frequently dragged the dog down to his" </span>James Thurber</span>

#26 brownsmom

brownsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 11:27 AM

I am so happy for Duchess. She was one I really liked at Arda's Just don't let her teach my crew that trick with the chair!!

Honey Locust Hills On A Wing and A Prayer  DCAT CA (Faith),  Honey Locust Hills Little Leap of Faith DCAT (Hop),   Honey Locust Hills Notorious B.I.G CA DCAT (Big)  and UKC CHTurkhaven's Notorious RBG CA DCAT(Ruth) 

"Love is everything it's cracked up to be. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for." Erica Jong.   In memory: SCD Where's the Beef, CGC (1995-September 20, 2008); Athena's Dark Angel (May 1, 2009 - November 17, 2011); Second Chance Bow to Me CGC, RN (?-July 3, 2012); Second Chance Brownie Zipper CGC, RN (2000-September 23, 2013) SCD Catch Me If You Can  (2006 - May 3, 2016) DPRRM Sapphire Hidden Treasure, CGC (December 1, 2005- December 5, 2016)  SCD Watchful Princess ( - 2018) C-ATCH  CS-ATCH4 CS-ATE SCD Some Roads Are Rocky CGC, NA, NAJ, AXP, MJP2, OPF (October 10, 2005 - September 10, 2019)  C-ATCH5 PACH2 Shadow's On Eagles Wings, BCAT, CGC, TKI, NA, NAJ, XFP,  MJP2, MJPB, MXP3. MXPB, T2BP, PAX (Gabe) October 23, 2011 - May 26 2020)

UKC CH Ashtrick N Kettle Cove Irish Royalty, OA, OAJ, OAP, AJP, NF, OFP, CAA, CGC, SPOT, TKI, FCAT (March 4,  2015- July 29, 2022)

#27 jastubbs

jastubbs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 11:50 AM

The first try I just got a very clean face and camera lens :P But actually caught them like this on Aidan's way out the door :P

Attached Files

#28 ella

ella

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 12:25 PM

What a beautiful picture.

Ella

-Josh Billings

#29 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 01:36 PM

I am so glad she is working out for you and your family. She is a beauty. Mary

Dogs don't know about beginnings, and they don't speculate on matters that occurred before their time.
Dogs also don't know-or at least don't accept-the concept of death.
With no concept of beginnings or endings, dogs probably don't know that for people, having a dog as a life companion provides a streak of light between two eternities of darkness
Stanley Coren

#30 Pam

Pam

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 05:36 PM

:P Actually, they're both beauties!

#31 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 05:56 PM

Great photo! They look like they've been together forever :P Wonderful to hear Duchess is fitting in so well. Good karma :P

It took some time for my cats to get adjusted. Betty was not big on either of them. But now, they are all in the same room together, the cats sniffing the dogs. Joe even cleans Grindle's ears. Like everything else, time takes care of everything.

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to MORE pictures!

Linda

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ... I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man.
-------------------------
Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Sugar Bear 06/18/2017
Shadow a/k/a Little Snoopy
SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)
Greta Von Reiman (1972-1984)

#32 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 08:30 PM

This is a big relief for me...knowing that you can stand some of her little quirks. That counter surfing did me in. If it wasn't Duchess, it was Ghost. What a nightmare and they seem to know that you aren't as young as you used to be so they really take advantage of me. Thanks for the updates. Arda out in the swamp
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#33 brownsmom

brownsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 08:53 PM

Absolutely gorgeous, both of them.

Honey Locust Hills On A Wing and A Prayer  DCAT CA (Faith),  Honey Locust Hills Little Leap of Faith DCAT (Hop),   Honey Locust Hills Notorious B.I.G CA DCAT (Big)  and UKC CHTurkhaven's Notorious RBG CA DCAT(Ruth) 

"Love is everything it's cracked up to be. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for." Erica Jong.   In memory: SCD Where's the Beef, CGC (1995-September 20, 2008); Athena's Dark Angel (May 1, 2009 - November 17, 2011); Second Chance Bow to Me CGC, RN (?-July 3, 2012); Second Chance Brownie Zipper CGC, RN (2000-September 23, 2013) SCD Catch Me If You Can  (2006 - May 3, 2016) DPRRM Sapphire Hidden Treasure, CGC (December 1, 2005- December 5, 2016)  SCD Watchful Princess ( - 2018) C-ATCH  CS-ATCH4 CS-ATE SCD Some Roads Are Rocky CGC, NA, NAJ, AXP, MJP2, OPF (October 10, 2005 - September 10, 2019)  C-ATCH5 PACH2 Shadow's On Eagles Wings, BCAT, CGC, TKI, NA, NAJ, XFP,  MJP2, MJPB, MXP3. MXPB, T2BP, PAX (Gabe) October 23, 2011 - May 26 2020)

UKC CH Ashtrick N Kettle Cove Irish Royalty, OA, OAJ, OAP, AJP, NF, OFP, CAA, CGC, SPOT, TKI, FCAT (March 4,  2015- July 29, 2022)

#34 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 09:40 PM

What a terrific happy ending!! She sounds like she is finally home, settled in, and loved. Such a good snap shot of a girl and her dog. :P I can't wait for more pictures! Thanks for the update.

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#35 mihalik1413

mihalik1413

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 30 April 2005 - 09:55 PM

Great picture and nice update. Congratulations again and glad to hear so many good things! :P

Larry

#36 ella

ella

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 09:48 PM

I finally got the pictures back. Sorry it took so long

Ella

Attached Files

-Josh Billings

#37 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 05 May 2005 - 09:55 PM

What a great looking family! :whistling: I hope they are still all doing well.

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#38 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 10:38 AM

I have SO many films to be developed, I've forgotten which one is the one with Duchess and her new family!! :whistling:

#39 RUSTYSMOM

RUSTYSMOM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 02:40 PM

:whistling: What a beautiful family you have.
Congrats!

Michelle & Rusty

#40 jastubbs

jastubbs

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 06 May 2005 - 02:53 PM

Thanks :whistling: Keep meaning to take more pics but Duchess prefers to be licking me rather than posing :stuart: Will try to get the camera out this weekend since we're going to be outside enjoying the (finally) beautiful weather.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users