45 replies to this topic

#1 ella

ella

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 11:47 AM

This is a stupid question but when a dog has incontinence, is it always urine that is dribbling? Princess has to have her anal glands extracted about every three to four weeks and i've noticed that the closer the time comes to have them extracted she starts to dribble. It's not urine it's just clear liquid, there is no smell or no stain when she does it, but I just see the big wet spot. She is going tonight to see the doctor I will check, but I just wanted to see if anyone has this problem.

Ella
Ella - mother of Princess and Bonnie Blue

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
-Josh Billings

#2 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 12:00 PM

I'm not sure about that Ella. I have a stupid question too. When dogs extract their anal glands, does it have a really foul odor? And, do they always extract when they defecate, or can they extract at any time?
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#3 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 12:16 PM

Ella,
I think when anal glands get filled, they can leak, ask vet & see if she
has any thing else going on about the leaking
JMHO :)

#4 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 12:18 PM

Cheryl,
Yes anal glands when expelled does smell bad :D
They do expell when pooping but, if they get full & dont
come out, can get infected. Ask your vet about it :)

#5 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 12:35 PM

Cheryl,
Yes anal glands when expelled does smell bad :D
They do expell when pooping but, if they get full & dont
come out, can get infected. Ask your vet about it :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Daisy,

I found a foul wet spot on my carpet last night. I am wondering if this is leakage. Cocoa has left this same foul odor on a comforter I let her lay on the first week she was home. Do you suspect that she may be having difficulty expelling when she poops?

Cheryl
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#6 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 01:10 PM

When our German Shepherd had her anal glands extracted the air literally turned GREEN it was so foul! My husband almost lost his cookies! I can't imagine Princess leaving a big wet spot like that without it smelling if it was the anal glands leaking, but I could be wrong. Our experience has been when the anal glands need extracting the dog normally will scoot it's behind on the ground or carpet trying to empty them.

Both my dogs have urinary incontinence. The wet spots can be urine or if Princess is LICKING something, it could be saliva. I made that mistake last month. Tiki had a nick on her paw that she incessantly licked until she had wet the comforter right down to her cushion. I thought it was urine because I didn't see her licking. It was odd to me that there was no odor to it but I just assumed it had to be urine. If Princess is bothered by her anal glands being full she may be licking herself and getting the blanket wet in the process.

If it turns out to be urine it could also be a bladder infection causing her to leak. The sense of urgency is just too much for them if they have one.

The vet should be able to let you know. Sorry this is so long.

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#7 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 02:47 PM

Anal glands, when they have to get drained, stinks to high heaven. My old shepherd used to have to get them drained, and oh my God. My brother almost passed out when he went. Some dogs have to get them drained, and some just are able to themselves. Our shepherd had a clogged gland, so that's why she had to get them drained by the vet. She'd be ok for a few months, but every once in awhile, she'd have to get it done. The licking and dragging were key indicators to us when she was having problems with it.

#8 ella

ella

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 03:08 PM

Princess has had this problem since she came home. she usually scoots along the floor are else she licks and there has always been a puddle from her licking. but this time she was laying on the porch and she was not licking when I called her she got up and there was a puddle where she was laying. I saw the liquid come out when she stood up. I'm just wondering if it has anything to do with the buckshot in her butt. I'm going to check that out with the doctor tonight also.

-Josh Billings

#9 ella

ella

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 07:04 PM

Just got back from the doc. he said her glands were very full. He said the leaking might be caused by the glands being full. but for me to just keep watching to see if it increases when they fill up. She has to have it done every four or five weeks. :)

Ella

-Josh Billings

#10 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 10:06 PM

I'm taking Cocoa to the vet tomorrow after work. I'm pretty sure she needs her glands taken care of too. She leaked more of the foul stuff on the carpet tonight. :)

-Arda Barber

#11 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 11:20 PM

Sorry guys but all I can think is, "I'm so glad that mine don't have that problem!" Counting my blessings over here! :)

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#12 ella

ella

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 07:58 AM

Princess sleep all night with no wet spot. So maybe that is the problem. I'll just keep watching. :)

Ella

-Josh Billings

#13 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 11:46 AM

Cheryl!!!
Oh my GAWD!! Your carpets....get out the steamcleaner, lady, we all know how much and how many times you clean your carpets!!
No, seriously, I hope Cocoa is ok, and honestly, it takes the vet only a couple minutes, but BE PREPARED for the foul smell, because it CAN be overwhelming at first. I'm not kidding when I said my brother almost passed out...he went green.
I hope she does ok, and let us know how it goes!
~Jen~
Ella, glad Princess is doing better since she got "drained"...these poor babes...no wonder we love them so much!!!

#14 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 12:03 PM

I've been reading along with this topic and I have to say that I have never had the problem in all my years of Dobes. Here's why....I have never had one or two dogs. I have always had a herd and they tend to tick each other off enough to make each other bad enough to expell the anal glands naturally. So how do you like my idea.....You should all get a few more Dobes to expell each other. The Swamp
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#15 ella

ella

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 01:53 PM

Arda, I love your idea. I think that's what I need to do, I'll just get a couple of more babies. You are too funny :)

Ella

-Josh Billings

#16 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 02:35 PM

[quote name='Jennymay' date='Apr 12 2005, 11:46 AM']
Cheryl!!!
Oh my GAWD!! Your carpets....get out the steamcleaner, lady, we all know how much and how many times you clean your carpets!!

It was my mom's carpet last night, not mine! :) Imagine though what it is like to get that stuff all over your nice new comforter that can only be cleaned at the dry cleaners cause it's too big to fit in the washing machine. Yeah, very embarrassing to have to take it to the dry cleaners. They had to go over it twice to get the smell out. Okay, so I let Cocoa cuddle with me on the couch (opps, did I say couch?) when I first brought her home. So, she's been expelling all along. I'm on my way to get the little stinker now - then off to see the vet tech. I'll kindly wait in the lobby thank you! :D

-Arda Barber

#17 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 04:48 PM

I've been reading along with this topic and I have to say that I have never had the problem in all my years of Dobes.  Here's why....I have never had one or two dogs.  I have always had a herd and they tend to tick each other off enough to make each other bad enough to expell the anal glands naturally.  So how do you like my idea.....You should all get a few more Dobes to expell each other.  The Swamp

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've been thinking about another Dobe, but certainly not a whole herd of them! :)

-Arda Barber

#18 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 04:55 PM

Cocoa's glands were empty. The tech said that sometimes they expell when they are nervous or excited. I'm pretty sure the youngster was quite nervous when she first came home with me and I know for certain that she was excited the other night because it happened immediately after she did that crazy Dobe thing - scooting back and forth as fast as she could possibly go with her butt real low to the ground and her feet flying everywhere! :)

-Arda Barber

#19 ChristineNHarley

ChristineNHarley

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 06:40 PM

Well, WHAT a topic!! :) LOL Thank goodness, but I've never had that problem. Neither one of my dogs have... Just lucky :D I guess!

#20 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 07 June 2005 - 04:50 PM

Thought I'd give you an update on Betty Boop and her battle with urinary incontinence. When I was out to SCD on Saturday, Dr. Karen had given Arda a bottle of Desmopressin nasal spray. This was to be used in place of the vasopressin injections that I had been giving Betty, in conjunction with the DES. Betty wasn't terribly excited about a blast in the nostril, but I "jackpotted her" to coin Joni's phrase, and she seems to accept it. Still, in all, it did not make that much of a difference in the dribbling.

However, yesterday I decided to try the Sudafed again (just a normal 60 mg dose) as an adjunct to the spray and the DES. GUESS WHAT? We are dry as a bone today. :P

I am crossing everything I own that this continues. I have to take Betty and Grindle to the vet tomorrow for routine maintenance, and I'll discuss this with my vet.

I told my horse vet that if I gave Betty enough Sudafed to actually make a noticeable difference in her condition (60 mg twice a day), that she was so wired for sound, as it were, that she was bouncing off the walls. He said I could dose her with phenobarb to balance the effects, and that it was a lot cheaper than the vasopressin. However, knowingly creating a psycho drug-addict goes against my core values, so I'm going to opt for the combination in paragraph 1 and hope my small animal vet concurs.

Arda, the check is in the mail ;) And, yes, there are raspberries in your future, regardless. Thank you for all the effort you put into solving this dilemma. Betty thanks you - me, too! :) :P :P

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ... I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man.
-------------------------
Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Sugar Bear 06/18/2017
Shadow a/k/a Little Snoopy
SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)
Greta Von Reiman (1972-1984)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users