81 replies to this topic

#41 Lori

Lori

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:38 AM

Well, Sarah had her follow-up yesterday, and the Lasix has worked in regards to the fluid problem with her heart. My vet didn't recommend the other drug {pimobenden, P-something.. I had it written down for her} She said Sarah's heart is very flabby and the drug wouldn't help her in an appreciable way. I didn't know it until yesterday but my vet is a Dobermom too.
She also told me that a murmur with the DCM in her experience is rare. She told me to just love her and keep and eye on her for any distress. {coughing, panting, any change in her behavior in that respect} Jeez....! She did more bloodwork and some more thyroid tests {3 weeks till the results} and more chest x-rays. Her bloodwork is fine. The chest x-rays showed the fluid was gone but her heart is soooo big. It's 4 ribs wide....!
So now the game plan is to wait for the thyroid results and keep Sarah comfy and let her do what she wants . She will let me know when she is tired and needs to rest. Right now she is in her favorite spot in the back yard in the sun.
I woke up in the middle of the night and found Sarah looking at me with those soulful eyes of hers. She was just sitting by my bed quietly, and when I patted her and hugged her she went back to her crate and to sleep. She's never done that before that I know of...usually she will get vocal with me if she gets up in the night or nudge me with her nose to wake me up. Do you think she knows something or am I just reading more into normal Dobe quirks ? Sarah is so mellow , loving, and just an all around sweetheart to everyone 2 and 4 legged. Awww... jeez....here come the waterworks.....Arda, you are sooooo right, we love them and then we cry....

#42 Bumpette

Bumpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,632 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:00 PM

Do you think she knows something or am I just reading more into normal Dobe quirks ?

She may have been sensing your stress, and was trying to comfort you. Those Dobermans are soooo sweet. :LOL:

Thank you for the update. Give Sarah a big ole hug from me. :wub:
Happiness is a decision.

Susie Q
SCD's Darlin' Darcy - CGC
SCD's Mr. McBump - CGC
SCD's Liddle Diddles - CGC

Forever in our hearts:
SCD's One Cool Dude (7/05-4/10)
Ralph (SCD) (10/99-6/05)
Rex (SCD) (6/93-9/99)
Sheeba (BYB) (11/82-4/93)

#43 dayzimae

dayzimae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 08:55 PM

Unfortunately with the non-verbal we can only guess at what they know and what they are trying to say, but certainly she was just wanting to feel your touch. Once she had it, she could go back to bed. What I have learned from my dogs is to appreciate every moment for what it is and not try to over analyze it and not try to cling to it. Life is performance art. We have to appreciate and savor the passing moments and be in them fully and not mourn what will be, or we will miss what we have now. I am glad that Sarah is stable, and glad your vet is a dobe person. It always makes a difference. :wub:
Rene (short for Marion Irene)

Love me, love my dog(s) (cats and goats)

If possible, live peaceably with all creatures

#44 Lori

Lori

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 26 May 2010 - 08:13 AM

Good grief I DO tend to analyze everything Sarah does, and I do the same with my ferrets , and even more so when any of my furkids have health issues.
And I so totally get that she probably does sense my stress about her, as she knows when I am sad and will comfort me with Dobe hugs and nudges . Sarah isn't really a "kissing/licking" girl but when my Father passed away she showered me with hugs and kisses. She missed my Dad too. They spent many an afternoon in the yard just chilling out. She was very gentle with my Dad while he was ill. He wasn't able to get around very well, and Sarah would bring her toys to him and put them in his lap to throw for her. I am amazed at how perceptive she is. {then again maybe I am just old and predictable..lol }
For my ferrets, I know their life expectancy is short and the rescues I get are usually debilitated and or actively sick. It is awful how people "throw away" these creatures because they aren't "any good" anymore. I do what I can to make them comfortable and love them until they cross the bridge. For my girl Sarah, the relationship is different. She is my best friend, my companion, my protector , and so much more that I can't express. We hang out together everywhere, and in the car she knows the front seat is hers and even wears a seat belt . {isn't that awesome?}
Jeez....I could rhapsodize about her all day. She is an integral part of me and my family's life. It's like familial enrichment, we are all better for having her in our lives.
Thank you all for being here, and I'll keep updating about Sarah.
Lori

#45 Nancy Robinson

Nancy Robinson

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 09:32 AM

They are our "Best Friends" :wub: Enjoy her now and keep
loving her to pieces. Dogs know, they know when we are
upset, Dobes are fixers so just love her and love her some
more. :LOL: :LOL:
Nancy

"Until one has LOVED AN ANIMAL, part of
their SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"

"
Yesterday is "HISTORY", Today is a "GIFT" and Tomorrow is a "MYSTERY"

"Always always try to be the" BEST YOU CAN BE"

Do not walk in front of me - I may not follow.
Do not walk behind me - I may not lead.
But walk beside me - and be my friend.

May you always have Love to Share
Health to Spare
and Friends who Care

Forever locked in my Heart

"I CARRY YOUR HEARTS IN MY HEART"........FOREVER

My "WHITE ANGEL".....Sweet sweet Schaudeh
4/17/1999...............5/14/2013
My "Bounty Hunter"
11/6/2000.......8/3/2009
My "Miks Von Rom Mateese"
7/6/1990..........4/4/1999

"I LOVED you yesterday, I LOVE you today, and I will LOVE you tomorrow'"
for you have never really left me

#46 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 02:02 AM

I hope Sarah is still doing well. It's amazing how they learn our habits, moods, and little quirks. Sarah was probably checking on you in your sleep the same way you check on her in her sleep. :wub:

It matters to the one you save.

SCD's Out on Bail CGC (December 17, 2008- April 27, 2018)
SCD's Stone Soup
SCD's Sixpence in my shoe
SCD's Hurricane Alley CGC (August 12, 2007- September 11, 2014)
SCD's Easter Buddy CGC (August 12, 2007- July 5, 2012)
Page, Princess Extraordinaire - (July 9, 2000- July 31, 2007)

#47 Nancy Robinson

Nancy Robinson

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 31 May 2010 - 09:00 AM

THEY KNOW EVERY MOOD AND FEELING WE HAVE. :wub:
Seems like they can read our mind.
Nancy

"

Health to Spare
and Friends who Care

My "Bounty Hunter"
11/6/2000.......8/3/2009

#48 Lori

Lori

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 01 June 2010 - 08:38 AM

You are both so right !
Sarah is doing fine....it's the rest of the family that is acting strange around her....lol We had thunderstorms yesterday and she was only mildly stressed now that we use all the suggestions from the forum. The Benadryl works better for her than the Ace. {or the combination of that and the covering of her crate, the radio, etc.} I like it more because the Ace made her droopy all over and her eyes looked sad when she was on it- therefore it made me sad too.
My girl Sarah....jeez, I love her so much. These furkids ask for so little from us and give so much in return.
{{{Love My Sarah }}}

#49 Lori

Lori

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:27 PM

Hello everyone...it's been just over 1 year since I posted about Sarah and her DCM. I am grateful for the time I've had with her and today the decision was made to let her go. She is not in any pain, but the meds for her heart aren't helping any more, and it's hard for her to get around. She gets out of breath just going to the bathroom. I take her tomorrow to go to sleep. It sounds so benign "put to sleep"...but it's not...and it's one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make.
Sarah was always up for a round of chasing the ball, or hide from the water hose, and walks in the park. She is gentle, kind, and her sweet nature turned many a person who thought Dobe's were mean and unstable into her friends.
I really don't know what to write..other than to thank all of you for your kindness and advice when I first posted about her diagnosis. Knowing that this was coming does not make it one iota easier to take. It's the effing helplessness and the lack of control over it that is driving me crazy. No matter how much I wish otherwise it's not going to change a darn thing...I'm going to lose my old girl..my friend, my companion.
like Arda said , And then we cry.....

#50 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:30 PM

Oh Lori, I am so sorry. I hate DCM. I hate it. You have done everything for her, and now you will give her the greatest gift- a peaceful passing with her dignity still intact. I know the words are so weak right now, and there is no comfort in them. I will keep you and Sarah in my prayers. :wub:

It matters to the one you save.

SCD's Out on Bail CGC (December 17, 2008- April 27, 2018)
SCD's Stone Soup
SCD's Sixpence in my shoe
SCD's Hurricane Alley CGC (August 12, 2007- September 11, 2014)
SCD's Easter Buddy CGC (August 12, 2007- July 5, 2012)
Page, Princess Extraordinaire - (July 9, 2000- July 31, 2007)

#51 dobie sunshine

dobie sunshine

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 02:40 PM

I am so sorry. It never is easy. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Sarah.

#52 Diana

Diana

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,200 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:09 PM

I am so sorry, my prayer's are with you at this difficult time. Hugs
Diana and Nixx
SCD's Wild Child Gamble CGC

#53 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:20 PM

It's the pits. You gave her your all and I'm sure she did the same for you. I have about 150 stacked in my bed room. I'm still crying all over the place over Sarah. Whether we know or not. Whether we walk in and find them gone or have to take them to the vet. IT IS NEVER EASY. It's a lot of pain garnished with the memories of our best friend. And even when we say, never again. I will never have another one. We are lying to ourselves and to the best friend we ever had. And soon the memories push us to another...................and so it goes...................You are in my prayers.
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#54 Pam

Pam

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 03:58 PM

I'm so very, very sorry--my thoughts will be with you tomorrow & Sarah tomorrow.

#55 ohiodobe

ohiodobe

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:36 PM

Lori, Your post broke my already broken heart. Bella was feeling lousy this weekend and I thought it was the fireworks. I had to take her in Sun. nite to the ER. This A.M. back to the vets for the blood work, xray, & ecg. She was diagnosed DCM March 2010. Well after the tests and a huge jolt of lasix the vet said bloodwork perfect ecg not too bad and xray a little fluid on lungs but I caught it quick! And if I was lucky I'd have another month with her! WHAT! Bring her back in 2 weeks! WHY? My brain is still screaming. I cried all afternoon and then got back to being dogmom. When I read your post I cried again for your sweet girl and mine and the 2 boys I lost to DCM 3yrs ago and all the dobes my friends lost to it. I love this breed with my heart and soul but the cardio is the evil we face with them. God Bless you and I hope tomorrow you find the strength you need for Sarah. With much compassion and love, Linda, Bella, & Mr. Z
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principle difference between a dog and a man." ---- Mark Twain

#56 Annie Moon

Annie Moon

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:10 PM

I'm so sorry to read that you have to let Sarah go. I know it's hard.
Bless you both.

Ohiodobe, Sorry to read about your Bella. Your passion fotr our breed is impressive.
I hope Bella improves so you can enjoy her as long as possible.
In Memory of Mariah He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.  ~Unknown~

#57 Nancy Robinson

Nancy Robinson

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:21 PM

:) I am so very sorry to read this, my heart goes out to you,
I can feel your pain and yes we cry and cry and cry and cry.
Always remember you gave her a wonderful devoted life and
she gave you the same. She will be in HEART FOREVER.
I pray for you to have strength tomorrow because they
need us there with them, she knows how much you love
her, you are doing what is best for her, TRY TO REMEMBER
THAT. It is one of the hardest gut wrenching decisions we
have to make, I am so very sorry you are both in my PRAYERS
AND SPECIAL THOUGHTS. GOD BLESS YOU BOTH AND SINCERE
HUGS TO YOU BOTH. I am sooooooooooo sorry. :) :flower: :wub: :icon12:
I can't say enough.

Nancy

"

Health to Spare
and Friends who Care

My "Bounty Hunter"
11/6/2000.......8/3/2009

#58 Nancy Robinson

Nancy Robinson

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 09:25 PM

:wub: Linda I am also very sad to hear of your Bella, it is so very hard
PRAYERS AND SPECIAL THOUGHTS ARE SENT TO YOU. I am so
sorry. :) :icon12: :)

Nancy

"

Health to Spare
and Friends who Care

My "Bounty Hunter"
11/6/2000.......8/3/2009

#59 Lori

Lori

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 03:53 PM

At around 4.00 pm Sarah went to the bridge while I held her in my arms. I am miserable for myself and happy for her to be free of her heart failing and all the indignities she suffered being so sick. I told her over and over how much I loved her and tried to make it not scary for her. It was easy to be brave for her and soothe her, but once the process began I just lost it like a little kid. She was sedated and calm before the doc gave her the injection. He was very kind and talked us both through the whole procedure. Sarah literally went to sleep. It's hard to think of it as giving her a gift..and it seems kind of cold to just go to the doc and let it happen. I intellectually I know this was the right thing to do for her, but the kid inside me is kicking and screaming about how it's not fair, and why MY baby girl ?? My daughter and oldest son came with me. Two of my grandsons came too. Sarah is a big part of a larger family and we all love her so much...we are going to miss her terribly.
I can't even look at her crate...it was her "room". The door was never shut on her and she knows it's her private space. Her favorite blankets are there and she keeps her special toys in her room too.
I know I am babbling...I can't help it.
Thank all of you for the kind words and it helps to know all of you know exactly how it feels. {{{hugs for Bella and her Mom}}} I soooo know how you are feeling inside. It is going to be too quiet in the house tonight. I'm going to miss my Girl's snoring in the night, and the rustle of her arranging her bedding just so, so she can lay down to snooze. She has a squeaky squeeze toy that she would bite and squeak during the night too.
Thank you Arda, for letting me adopt my baby girl. Even having her in my life such a short time enriched it beyond measure. And yes...I will be back for another companion...there is nothing to match the love and devotion of a Dobe.

#60 Nancy Robinson

Nancy Robinson

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:09 PM

:wub: God Bless you Lori, and it is ok to babble we need to do that
we are here for you. Prayers for you :)

:) RUN FREE SWEET GIRL RUN FREE

Nancy

"

Health to Spare
and Friends who Care

My "Bounty Hunter"
11/6/2000.......8/3/2009