#1 KellyB

KellyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 07:15 PM

Hi All,
Does anyone have or has had a dog with Cushing's Disease. I took both dogs in Saturday for vacc's. I had wellness blood tests done on them. The wellness I had done checks liver, kidneys, electrolytes, minerals, thyroid level, heartworm test, and blood sugar. Myles came back perfectly fine, Dakota's came back with either a high Alkaline Phosphatase (ALP), Alanine aminotransferase (ALT), (can not think of which it was). I have to take her back in a couple of months to have another done. She's not excessively drinking, urinating, panting, no increase in appetite or anything abnormal for her. That is why they said to wait for a couple of months before bringing her back in unless she starts to show other signs. I'm going to change her food from lamb & rice to a senior light food. Any advise on food or anything would be great.

Kelly
Dakota and Myles's Mom

#2 chimommy

chimommy

Chimommy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 08:40 PM

My first Chi had Cushing's she took the meds and the symtoms get worse. They are managable. She became incontinent so I kept her confined to the kitchen tile. The meds are like 80.00 a month and they don't cure it just control the symtoms.
Lorie

#3 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 09:03 PM

I've never had one that I knew about. Maybe some of SCD medical staff can throw something in here. A lot of people want to know.
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#4 KellyB

KellyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 05 March 2007 - 09:15 PM

Right now she's not showing any signs other than the bloodwork. It may be in the begining stages or something completely different so we are watching her. I've been surfing the internet for info on it. Diet wise I found that a high protein, low fiber, low fat, low purine diet is best. So now goes the search as to what brand we can do.
Dakota and Myles's Mom

#5 dobes4ever

dobes4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 06:17 AM

My shepard Lucky has cushings disease and she's had it for about a year now. She does drink excessively, always having to urinate, always panting like its 90 degrees, but not really any increase in appetite. She is not on any meds at this time and has been doing just fine. I don't know if I will put her through any more test or put her on meds since she is going to be 14 years old. I will just keep her comfortable and happy for the rest of her time left with us. She is still a very happy girl and still plays with the other dogs like there is nothing wrong. This is really all the info I can give you about the disease ... hope this helps a little.
Mike & Peg
Gretta
& Kloee the cat!
!

RV Innovations, LLC
RV Decks & Supplies
On-Line Store Coming Soon

#6 KellyB

KellyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 06:31 AM

What type of food do you feed her? The vet and I discussed switching to a light or senior food. She's on regular lamb and rice now.

Kelly
Dakota and Myles's Mom

#7 DBugged33

DBugged33

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 07:40 AM

Hi All,
Does anyone have or has had a dog with Cushing's Disease. I took both dogs in Saturday for vacc's. I had wellness blood tests done on them. The wellness I had done checks liver, kidneys, electrolytes, minerals, thyroid level, heartworm test, and blood sugar. Myles came back perfectly fine, Dakota's came back with either a high Alkaline Phosphatase (ALP), Alanine aminotransferase (ALT), (can not think of which it was). I have to take her back in a couple of months to have another done. She's not excessively drinking, urinating, panting, no increase in appetite or anything abnormal for her. That is why they said to wait for a couple of months before bringing her back in unless she starts to show other signs. I'm going to change her food from lamb & rice to a senior light food. Any advise on food or anything would be great.

Kelly

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How are her teeth? When I was going to have Bree's teeth cleaned, we did bloodwork prior to the surgery because of her age (7+) and her ALT levels came back high... my Vet said that often the bacteria on the teeth can affect the ALT levels and make them higher. We waited 1 month prior to doing the teeth cleaning & her levels came back down (still slightly elevated but within a normal range) and we did the teeth cleaning. Her next bloodwork came back more normal.

However, when we did her bloodwork at 10 years of age, her ALT levels came back higher again & the vet thought about Cushings. I never had the test done for it as she didn't show any other symptoms. She eventually went on to be diagnosed with DCM and passed at age 11. The vets have not said that there is any relation between DCM and elevated ALT levels, but I always have wondered as a few other people on HealthDobes have said the same thing happened to them...

Just my thoughts,
Amy

#8 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 07:46 AM

What about Innova EVO?

Innova EVO formula is based on ground chicken & turkey meat, bones, fat, cartilage and connective tissue. It includes whole, raw fruits and vegetables which contain health promoting phytochemicals and micronutrients. Low Carb, Hi-Protein and Grain Free.

Moisture 10.0 %
Protein 42.0 %
Fat 22.0 %
Fiber 2.5 %
Calories 1929 Kcal/lb
Calories 4243 Kcal/Kg
Calories 537 KCals/Cup

"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

SCD's Shooting Star "Stella" - We will work on titles. :)
Vixenvale Kingston's Warren - Kingston (2006-2017)
SCD's Black Tie Affair "Tux" - PCD, CGN, CGC (2004-2015)
Can CH Jimary Jack's Are High "Jack" (Pug) - PCD

#9 dobes4ever

dobes4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 08:45 AM

I have not changed her food at all. I'm still feeding her the same food I always have been. I never thought of changing her diet, but I nevered asked the vet either. She is still doing fine and gets around with no problems .... don't want to change anything do disrute her way of life.
Mike & Peg
Gretta
& Kloee the cat!
!

RV Innovations, LLC
RV Decks & Supplies
On-Line Store Coming Soon

#10 KellyB

KellyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 06 March 2007 - 07:31 PM

Her teeth are fine. She had a dental last year. Actually the vet wanted to know if I brushed her's and Myles teeth everyday. No, I don't but they are avid chewers of rawhide and nothing but dry food. Other than her teeth being satined from a medicine she must of had as a pup thier fine. So for now we will change her food to a senior food and do another wellness profile on her.

Kelly
Dakota and Myles's Mom

#11 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 07 March 2007 - 07:46 AM

No experience here but I did a google search and came up with several different sites to look at...

Info on Cushing's

[url="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q="cushings+disease""]Google Search[/url]

Edited by jmnodwell, 07 March 2007 - 07:47 AM.

Joni
Emmalin Jane, George, Clyde, and Rascal (meow & hiss)
From the Bridge - Cosmo (12/2005), Katie (7/2006), Mr. Munchkin (11/2008), Bella DSA, CGC (1/2009), Skitter DSA (12/2010), Beau (11/2014), and Calvin (6/2017)

"The world of the generous gets larger and larger... The on who blesses other is abundantly blessed; those who help other are helped." Proverbs 11:24-25

"They that sow in tears shall reap in joy" Psalms 126:5

#12 debl

debl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 09:10 AM

How is Dakota doing? Has Cushings been diagnosed? I took one of my Schipps in this am for teeth cleaning and asked for a blood test b/4 the procedure. Just rec'd a call saying they suspect Cushings. My vet is proceeding w/test for this disease. She is 11 years old.

#13 KellyB

KellyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 06:46 PM

Dakota is being retested for Cushings on Monday. I've noticed her trying to scope out food alot. Not sure if its Myles bad habit rubbing off on her or :sorcerer: . I had another wellness done on her, her levels have changed some. She has an ACTH test on Monday.

KELLY
Dakota and Myles's Mom

#14 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 06:51 PM

Fingers are crossed for her!

#15 KellyB

KellyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 07:12 PM

Thank you Arda. I will keep everyone informed on her resaults. I've talked to the vet I work with that she nomally sees about treatment. We have decided that if she does have Cushings I'm not going to treat her. The medication to treat cushings is usually harder on them then not treating her we will put her on S-Adenasyl to help her liver and watch her food content.

Kelly
Dakota and Myles's Mom

#16 KellyB

KellyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 06:50 PM

Her test came back neg. Her levels or just a little off, just her old age. We are going to try and find a food lower in fat. Right now she's on Purina Pro Plan Weight Management Chicken and rice.

Kelly
Dakota and Myles's Mom

#17 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 07:30 PM

Your decision is the right one. Example was my Ghost. She was diabetic. She had so much character. When we started her on insulin she went down hill in a hurry. She used to steel everything I had touched when I left the house. She stopped doing that. Then she lost her vision. Then her life. It was horrible but I will never treat another diabetic. It wasn't fair. Treating Brandy for her heart was one thing and she did real good for me but the diabetes was totally different. And I have heard that treating Cushings is not good for the dog either. Darn Dobermanns.

#18 KellyB

KellyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 07:48 PM

Got to love them. Myles was at the vet saturday. He's got skin issues allergic to something, although this time he's got it infected and a start of an ear infection. He's on cephalexin 500mg and stuff for his ear. He had a wellness blood panel done and his came back all normal. He goes in this Friday for a dental cleaning. Go figure he's three and needs a dental Dakota is 7 - 8 and she doesn't need one.

Kelly
Dakota and Myles's Mom

#19 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 07:52 PM

A good breeder would say she has a good bite but so many of these kids are thrown together with no thought at all of what the mouth and bite do for the dog. Bubbles has the worse bite I have ever seen in a Dobe. I'm always in there with the pliers knocking off the tartar.

#20 Stacie

Stacie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:40 PM

Your decision is the right one. Example was my Ghost. She was diabetic. She had so much character. When we started her on insulin she went down hill in a hurry. She used to steel everything I had touched when I left the house. She stopped doing that. Then she lost her vision. Then her life. It was horrible but I will never treat another diabetic. It wasn't fair. Treating Brandy for her heart was one thing and she did real good for me but the diabetes was totally different. And I have heard that treating Cushings is not good for the dog either. Darn Dobermanns.

Jared was just asking how to treat a dog with diabetes and if it were possible. It may be easier for someone with diabetes and full knowledge of the food counts etc. to take care of them. That is one of Jared's goals when he becomes a vet - to find a way to treat animals properly who are diabetic. God Bless you Arda for all you do for these furkids - you are a miracle in disguise!
"Qui me amat, amat et canem meum" (Love me, love my dog)
The more people I meet the more I like my dog
"If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience"
-Woodrow Wilson
"Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate in their object-relations."
-Sigmund Freud

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users