120 replies to this topic

#1 brownsmom

brownsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 06:50 AM

Jennifer & Nathan Plummer added a new memer to their family! After a hard decision, they chose young Jamie to complete their family. Jamie will have two human brothers to wrestle and play with, too!

Honey Locust Hills On A Wing and A Prayer  DCAT CA (Faith),  Honey Locust Hills Little Leap of Faith DCAT (Hop),   Honey Locust Hills Notorious B.I.G CA DCAT (Big)  and UKC CHTurkhaven's Notorious RBG CA DCAT(Ruth) 

"Love is everything it's cracked up to be. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for." Erica Jong.   In memory: SCD Where's the Beef, CGC (1995-September 20, 2008); Athena's Dark Angel (May 1, 2009 - November 17, 2011); Second Chance Bow to Me CGC, RN (?-July 3, 2012); Second Chance Brownie Zipper CGC, RN (2000-September 23, 2013) SCD Catch Me If You Can  (2006 - May 3, 2016) DPRRM Sapphire Hidden Treasure, CGC (December 1, 2005- December 5, 2016)  SCD Watchful Princess ( - 2018) C-ATCH  CS-ATCH4 CS-ATE SCD Some Roads Are Rocky CGC, NA, NAJ, AXP, MJP2, OPF (October 10, 2005 - September 10, 2019)  C-ATCH5 PACH2 Shadow's On Eagles Wings, BCAT, CGC, TKI, NA, NAJ, XFP,  MJP2, MJPB, MXP3. MXPB, T2BP, PAX (Gabe) October 23, 2011 - May 26 2020)

UKC CH Ashtrick N Kettle Cove Irish Royalty, OA, OAJ, OAP, AJP, NF, OFP, CAA, CGC, SPOT, TKI, FCAT (March 4,  2015- July 29, 2022)

#2 bumpster

bumpster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 08:46 AM

Congratulations Jamie on your new home!
You think dogs will not be in heaven?
I tell you, they will be there long before any of us.
-Robert Lewis Stevenson-

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit,
you would stay out and your dog would go in.
-Mark Twain-

#3 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:59 AM

Congratulations to Jamie and her new family!
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#4 shromada

shromada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:04 PM

Yeah Jamie!!!!!! You are sooo adorable and FULL of energy!! Congratulations on your new forever home and family!!!!

#5 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:21 PM

Congratulations Jamie and the Plummer's. She is a great little girl.

It matters to the one you save.

SCD's Out on Bail CGC (December 17, 2008- April 27, 2018)
SCD's Stone Soup
SCD's Sixpence in my shoe
SCD's Hurricane Alley CGC (August 12, 2007- September 11, 2014)
SCD's Easter Buddy CGC (August 12, 2007- July 5, 2012)
Page, Princess Extraordinaire - (July 9, 2000- July 31, 2007)

#6 JennyPlum

JennyPlum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 12:57 PM

Jamie is amazing and doing really well!
I'll send pictures as soon as I learn how to upload them.
She is such an affectionate and sweet girl! :-)
We can do no great things, only small things with great love. ~Mother Teresa

#7 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 02:27 PM

Wow, amazing. So three Dobies got new homes this weekend? That's wonderful. Congragulations to Jamie and the Plummers. Keep us updated!

Currently part of my treasured family and helping to make life fun and busy:

Hunter, the chocolate Labradeagle (or Beaglador)

Terra, the tall, gorgeous red Doberwoman

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

#8 dobes4ever

dobes4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 02:31 PM

Congratulations to Jamie on your new forever home!! :P
Mike & Peg
Gretta
& Kloee the cat!
!

RV Innovations, LLC
RV Decks & Supplies
On-Line Store Coming Soon

#9 bumpster

bumpster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 02:53 PM

Glad to hear that Jamie is doing well! Looking forward to the pictures!!
You think dogs will not be in heaven?
I tell you, they will be there long before any of us.
-Robert Lewis Stevenson-

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit,
you would stay out and your dog would go in.
-Mark Twain-

#10 Annie Moon

Annie Moon

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 09:18 PM

Congratulations to Jamie, and her forever family.
Can't wait to see the pics !!!
In Memory of Mariah He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.  ~Unknown~

#11 Diana

Diana

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,200 posts

Posted 25 August 2008 - 09:32 PM

Congratulation's to Jamie and her forever home, what a lucky girl.
Diana and Nixx
SCD's Wild Child Gamble CGC

#12 JennyPlum

JennyPlum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:34 PM

Question....
Can anyone provide any hints to helping teach our very active little Dobergirl how to walk on a leash? My oldest son thought it was really funny, this evening Jamie (Coco) is so powerful and excitable that she almost "took me on a ride" down our porch when we were heading out for a walk. We walked about 1/2 mile and most of the walk she pulled me along wherever she wanted to go.

Someone at the pet store mentioned a Halti collar. Has anyone had success with this?
I have seen "pinch collars" at the store (and my sister swears by them, she had a Great Dane she used one on) but I don't want that around my little Dobergirl. They look absolutely horrendous and I wouldn't use it on my worst enemy!!! :P

#13 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 08:12 PM

Our trainer showed us how to use our legs to correct Alley and Buddy. It takes time and patience though. The first two weeks my legs were black and blue from Alley pulling. I broke down crying after a few days because my legs HURT and she was still pulling as hard as ever! I will try to explain it, if I can. First, only let there be enough leash to go across your legs and to the dog so she is forced to stand next to you. Then, when she pulls, you make a sharp turn. The leash will go tight across your legs and the turning motion will pull her back. Your legs are what "pulls" the leash. She may still pull at first, I know Alley did. :P After about two weeks, working for an hour each day, Alley got it.

If that doesn't help, you might want to try a pinch or halti. I have never used a halti. I know the pinch collars look horrible. I didn't want to use one on Page either. It looks a mid-evil torture device. I tried it on my own neck first. Yes, I am that weird/obsessive. :smiling: It really doesn't hurt. It only applies pressure like a mother would with her teeth. We used one with our first girl Page, because i was afraid she would pull me in front of a car or something and we'd both be goners. It worked miracles. She didn't pull one bit with it on. However, I wasn't teaching her not to pull, I was just teaching her not to pull with that collar. She would know if it wasn't on, and she would pull. Although teaching Alley was a lot more work, I taught her not to pull. Period. I won't use a pinch again, I will use the training method. That way I have control with or without a collar. Good luck!

SCD's Stone Soup

#14 JennyPlum

JennyPlum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 08:32 PM

We used one with our first girl Page, because i was afraid she would pull me in front of a car or something and we'd both be goners. It worked miracles. She didn't pull one bit with it on. However, I wasn't teaching her not to pull, I was just teaching her not to pull with that collar. She would know if it wasn't on, and she would pull.

Darn it, Dobermans are so smart! I see how this could happen.
I picked up a Halti collar...it sounds like it does the same thing that gave you bruised legs---it corrects the dog by making them turn their heads to the side, which obviously, is unpleasant.

On a sad note, I think Jamie (fondly known as Coco) has been abused in some way.
I had to yell at her today for running out into the front yard and you should have seen how her body curled up. I think she thought I was going to HIT her! I could have cried when I saw that. We cuddled and it's OK now. :P

#15 MarlysMom

MarlysMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 26 August 2008 - 08:38 PM

Congrats on your new family addition!
I use the pinch on Marley, it doesn't hurt him and has made a huge improvement in walking him. Now he just strolls alongside my daughter instead of dragging her or I. On the other hand, that collar wasn't right for Bella so we bought a harness that hooks in front, called the gentle leader by premier. It works, when she pulls ahead, it pulls her front legs together so she has to stop. My trainer told me not to get the harness that has the hook on the back as these are working dogs and it encourages their nature to forge ahead. Hope that helps.
Congrats again!
Kim, Marley & Bella

Edited by MarlysMom, 26 August 2008 - 08:39 PM.

#16 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:37 AM

Congrats on your new family addition!
I use the pinch on Marley, it doesn't hurt him and has made a huge improvement in walking him. Now he just strolls alongside my daughter instead of dragging her or I. On the other hand, that collar wasn't right for Bella so we bought a harness that hooks in front, called the gentle leader by premier. It works, when she pulls ahead, it pulls her front legs together so she has to stop. My trainer told me not to get the harness that has the hook on the back as these are working dogs and it encourages their nature to forge ahead. Hope that helps.
Congrats again!
Kim, Marley & Bella

Yes, the Gentle Leader harness by Premier is a great harness to use for dogs that pull. :wub: With a puller, you'll want to manage the pulling while you work on teaching them to give to collar pressure (like you would with a horse) while using the harness as an alternative to the collar during walks. The harness (vs. a collar) will provide them with a completely different sensation when pressure is applied. This allows them to discriminate between the feel of the collar versus the feel of the harness, and in turn, allows you to teach them not to pull when your leash is attached to the collar rather than the harness.

When I walk my dogs (at times, I'll walk all four at once), I don't like there to be slack in their leads as I can't stand tripping over them and I also can't stand walking on their heals (and they don't appreciate it either). When we're out on a casual walk, they're all in harnesses and are allowed to take the slack out of their leads as long as they aren't dragging me down the road. When we're working in obedience or agility, they're worked on a neck collar and are taught not to pull on the collar...that particular behavior is reserved only for their harness. :P

Dogs have a natural opposition reflex, that is, they will automatically brace themselves against pressure rather than give to it. What we need to do as humans is teach them to give to that pressure rather than push against it (as an example of opposition reflex, try this: place your flat hand on your dogs shoulder and gently push him in an effort to knock him off balance. What does he automatically do? He braces himself against your shove by pushing himself into the pressure from your hand). Dogs do not come pre-programmed to automatically give to pressure, it's something that needs to be taught.

Allowing a dog to pull you toward an object or resource that it wants merely reinforces the behavior to pull. Never let your dog pull you toward an object of desire but rather have him earn the reward of that object by giving into pressure and then calmly going to the object. What I do with my dogs when teaching them to give to collar pressure is as follows:

1.) While walking along the dog goes to the end of the lead, taking all slack out of the lead and begins to pull.
2.) I stop dead in my tracks and become a post so the dog cannot pull me forward (I do NOT pull him backward with the leash, I simply stop all foward movement and prevent him from pulling me and the leash further forward).
3.) The dog may put more force into his pull, during which time I remain planted without moving.
4.) Pretty soon my dog will turn to look at me as if to say, "Hey YOU! Why aren't you moving foward?!?"
5.) The very moment my dog turns to look at me, the lead will slacken. Without him knowing it, he's given to the pressure of pulling.
6.) At the instant he turns to look at me, I say, "YES!" to tell him he's done a wonderful thing by giving to the pressure and then I'll reward him (my dogs are highly food motivated, so during this training phase, I'll use food to reinforce the correct behavior...your dog could love petting or playing with a toy, things that could also be used as rewards).
7.) Keep repeating this scenario...dog pulls, you become a post, as soon as he turns to say "Come on, let's go!" you mark the give to the pressure with a "YES!" to tell him he's done what you wanted and then reward him and then release him with an "OK!" and continue walking.
8.) Pretty soon, he'll start to give to collar pressure as soon as the slack goes out of the lead by turning to you, at which point you mark the correct behavior, reward and release.

I use this method for creating a non-puller on a collar...when the harness is on, it's a completely different matter, and I find that my pullers are way easier to handle on a harness while walking than expecting them to maintain a completely slack lead while on a collar. When I walk, I don't care if my dogs are in heel position, so I'm perfectly OK with slackless leads. ;) Whether or not that's OK with someone else is completely up to their personal preference, but I find that my dogs are much happier campers if they aren't constantly under a "heel" command while out on a hike. :innocent:

Using this method, the pressure he feels on his collar becomes his cue to give to that pressure rather than pull against it. It's a great way to teach the "leave it!" command as well...the collar pressure becomes the cue for him to turn and look at you rather than dive for roadkill. ;)
Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

#17 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 12:17 PM

I sympathize. Natasha is a terrible puller, too. We've had her for four months, and she is getting better, but it's constant work when we're walking.

I know lots of people swear by the head halters, either the Halti or the Gentle Leader, but I have to tell you, neither one worked for Natasha. After she got past rolling on the ground trying to get rid of it, she just continued to pull hard enough that her head was turned sideways and the strap was practically across her eye. Not only that, the Halti kind of scared me because it could not be adjusted snug enough around her neck and I was constantly afraid she was going to be able to pull backwards out of it. The next smaller size was too small across the nose part. The Gentle Leader was easier to fit snugly. But I personally am not a fan of these devices.

I've also tried the Easy Walk harness that has the snap in front. She just pulls sideways. Tried the no-pull harness that goes under the armpits. Worked like a charm until I discovered it was causing sores. So I covered the underarm cords with fleece. Solved the problem of the sores, but made it more comfortable for her to pull again.

I do use a prong collar on Natasha. And, Sarah, you're not weird. I tried it on my own neck, too! Yes, they do look terrible, but it's the only thing she respects. Which is more humane, a dog constantly pulling so hard on a buckle collar that they're choking for the entire duration of your walk, or a dog getting one quick correction from a prong collar and then backing off the pulling?

We've had Natasha in three different obedience classes since we got her. One was specifically for dogs that are difficult to walk. What I do now is a combination of a couple different techniques, because Natasha seems to develop a tolerance if I just do the same thing repeatedly. Javaluva's advice is excellent and probably works for a lot of dogs, but I tried that and found that I could spend an hour and not get more than 50 feet or so. I admit I don't have the patience for that. I do use a lot of turning, similar to what Doberpagegirl described, but without the leash across the legs (ouch!). That's where the prong collar comes in. Or some dogs may respect just a chain choke collar. But when she shoots to the end of the leash (and here is where the timing is crucial because, ideally, you want to do it just as the slack comes out of the leash but before they actually get to pulling hard), I do a quick about-turn (right turn) so that I am instantly going in the opposite direction, and she is going to receive a "pinch" from the collar if she doesn't stay right with me. I also mix it up with left turns, finish turns, backing up, small figure-eights, etc. Anything to keep her thinking I am a crazy woman and may go in any direction at any moment, so she better pay attention to me and stay close.

Jenny, I'm really glad you brought this subject up because I'm also open to any new suggestions that I haven't tried yet. I was thinking of starting this topic myself. I don't want my dog to walk in a perfect heel when we're just out enjoying a walk at the park. She can walk on either side of me, next to me, behind me or in front of me, but I just don't want my arm pulled out of the socket! It's been hard work and a lot of frustration, but Natasha is getting better, slow but sure, so I think there is light at the end of the tunnel! Good luck.

Edited by Cheri, 27 August 2008 - 05:51 PM.

Currently part of my treasured family and helping to make life fun and busy:

Hunter, the chocolate Labradeagle (or Beaglador)

Terra, the tall, gorgeous red Doberwoman

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

#18 ella

ella

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 27 August 2008 - 11:56 PM

Congratulation to Jamie (Cocoa) on your new forever home.
Ella & Princess
Ella - mother of Princess and Bonnie Blue

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
-Josh Billings

#19 JennyPlum

JennyPlum

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 03:21 PM

Attached File  jen_and_cocoa.jpg   63.11KB   5 downloads First day at home=Doberhugs!

Attached File  cocoa_outside.jpg   88.41KB   6 downloads Ready to play!

#20 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 30 August 2008 - 05:51 PM

Great pictures! She is such a cute little girl. It's nice to see her enjoying her new home.

SCD's Stone Soup

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users