18 replies to this topic

#1 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:15 AM

Take alert! This is too hot for us and it's certainly too hot for the dogs. Especially our Dobes with possible heart problems. Oscar wanted no part of this heat. He went out and peed and right back in. Bubbles and Georgie were out and in so fast it scared me. Even the creek and pond are warmer than normal. Be careful.
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#2 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 10:35 AM

Val can't tolerate this heat. He is only out for a few minutes at a time. If I am out, Cocoa has to be with me.....plus she has a new job - RAT PATROL! I witnessed her kill one on the driveway the other day.......ewwwwwwie! I keep her hosed down and we take frequent breaks indoors to cool off. I was suppose to have a garage sale this weekend, but I was too late with my ad. Sure glad I was late!
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#3 Diana

Diana

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,200 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:29 PM

It's been horrible here, 106 yesterday, sure didn't get out much. Nixx is starting to get restless and wants to be out hunting and helping me with things, but no way, we make quick potty breaks and head back inside, sure hope things make a turn soon. Stay cool and be careful.
Diana and Nixx
SCD's Wild Child Gamble CGC

#4 Nancy Robinson

Nancy Robinson

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 12:44 PM

Yes, everyone take care.

I have been thinking so much about Squirt and Tink
(along with other outdoor animals), I pray they are
OK.

Since Schaudeh goes everywhere with me, because of an
incident, I haven't gone anywhere because of the heat and
it is too hot for her. She goes out does her business and
right back in. I hope people are not walking their dogs on
the roads or sidewalks in this heat, or even walking them.

AGAIN EVERYONE TAKE CARE, WE DON'T NEED ANYMORE
BAD NEWS.
Nancy

"Until one has LOVED AN ANIMAL, part of
their SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"

"
Yesterday is "HISTORY", Today is a "GIFT" and Tomorrow is a "MYSTERY"

"Always always try to be the" BEST YOU CAN BE"

Do not walk in front of me - I may not follow.
Do not walk behind me - I may not lead.
But walk beside me - and be my friend.

May you always have Love to Share
Health to Spare
and Friends who Care

Forever locked in my Heart

"I CARRY YOUR HEARTS IN MY HEART"........FOREVER

My "WHITE ANGEL".....Sweet sweet Schaudeh
4/17/1999...............5/14/2013
My "Bounty Hunter"
11/6/2000.......8/3/2009
My "Miks Von Rom Mateese"
7/6/1990..........4/4/1999

"I LOVED you yesterday, I LOVE you today, and I will LOVE you tomorrow'"
for you have never really left me

#5 Bumpette

Bumpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,632 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:08 PM

It has been blistering hot up here too. Then last night a cool front came through....it is currently a very pleasant 75 degrees at the North Pole. YAY!! I hope it heads downstate and cools everyone off down there next.
Happiness is a decision.

Susie Q
SCD's Darlin' Darcy - CGC
SCD's Mr. McBump - CGC
SCD's Liddle Diddles - CGC

Forever in our hearts:
SCD's One Cool Dude (7/05-4/10)
Ralph (SCD) (10/99-6/05)
Rex (SCD) (6/93-9/99)
Sheeba (BYB) (11/82-4/93)

#6 Joaquin

Joaquin

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:08 PM

The cool off is on its way Arda, I woke up to breathable air here in Saginaw! It is no way near as hot today here as it was the last few days and tonight it's supposed to get down in the 60's so that will help. Just a little while longer.

#7 Annie Moon

Annie Moon

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 04:38 PM

My dogs would race outside, pee real quick, and want back in before I got the door closed.
We've been pretty much housebound for days except for my work....
It's finally cooling off... yay! :)
In Memory of Mariah He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.  ~Unknown~

#8 Dobes & Feathers

Dobes & Feathers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:08 PM

Yesterday my Mom & I went down to the our Mom & Pop grocery to pick up a few things as I ( Angela) got out of the car my Mom stayed,waited. The other car that had parked next to mine and I saw there was two little fur kids in the backseat,panting on and on.
The windows were down about two inches on the left side only.
OK so this angered :Hmmmph: me & my Mom,wrote the license plate number down went into the store,thought I would call these people out. (Dumba$$'$)There are only four check out lanes,so I stood in front of them all and started asking? Those people said no it was'nt them.
I gave the clerk the license plate number,make of the car etc... then she went over the store intercom and called the the owners to the front of the store.
While she did that I went back to my car where my mom and I waited till someone came out and they did just as I finished getting back into my car.
We feel we did our duty or justice for the day.
Show them :shaun: you l :icon12: ve them by leaving them home.
The good Lord :Angel: gave pi$$ ants more brains!!!

On a lighter note,Our digital thermometer is on the north side of the house and yesterday it read 101' degrees in the shade :Whew: . Now as I type this post it reads 90'.
Yes, were also waiting patiently for the cold front to move threw.
Thankful and greatful :Praying: that we have air conditioning and our house is built into the side of a hill.

Edited by Dobes & Feathers, 07 July 2012 - 06:02 PM.

Dreams become reality one choice at a time.

S.C.D.'s Rhue ( Little Red Rhuebarb) 2008 or 2009 to March 2021
Forever your paw print in our heart's
S.C.D.'s Darling Darla Blue(LaLa for short)
Our Velcro Love Bug ( approx D.O.B Jan,2004 to June,2011)
& one of the many Queens prior
Autumn ( Black Lab)
Sept 1996 to Feb 2010

#9 Pam

Pam

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 05:59 PM

Every time I let Rudy out to go, he stretches out in the sun like he's on a tropical beach somewhere. I give him ten minutes & then force him in. I love the heat but this is too much!

#10 Bumpette

Bumpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,632 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 07:43 PM

Darcy and Rudy must be related. When it was sooo hot, Darcy would go lay in the sun. B) She just had to cook her old bones.Posted Image
Happiness is a decision.

Susie Q
SCD's Darlin' Darcy - CGC
SCD's Mr. McBump - CGC
SCD's Liddle Diddles - CGC

Forever in our hearts:
SCD's One Cool Dude (7/05-4/10)
Ralph (SCD) (10/99-6/05)
Rex (SCD) (6/93-9/99)
Sheeba (BYB) (11/82-4/93)

#11 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 08:33 PM

Dobes and Feathers, you did the right thing....I do it all the time and don't feel one bit bad about it! Be a voice for the voiceless (who happen to be owned by idiots).

My poor chickens are walking around panting and have their wings puffed out...so, I put them in the cooler barn. At nite, I put them back outside with a turbo fan on them while they roost. Dodger, the big white bunny in my avatar is around 12 yrs old and simply cannot tolerate this heat. I put him in the barn with frozen pop bottles filled with ice and a turbo fan on him and he seems to be fairing the best of them all. In his younger days, he and his girlfriend Juney used to burrow huge, deep holes and hide in them for days when it got hot. Now he's just too old and arthritic to do that kind of heavy work. He hates being in the house and caged, so this is the best I can offer. But, I do wonder how wild animals do....I hope OK. Don't feel one bit sorry for Brinks and Chyna....they spent their past 2 days at the lake, wading at the sand bar and eating handouts from friendly boaters :Tounge: .
Cheryl, I found a dead opposum in my window well today.....I know Brinks did it because I had a hard time getting him to come inside the other nite :Sick: . I'm glad it's an opposum and not a rat though.....ewwwwwww.
We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare, and the love we can spare. And, in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

#12 Nancy Robinson

Nancy Robinson

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 11:54 AM

Every time I let Rudy out to go, he stretches out in the sun like he's on a tropical beach somewhere. I give him ten minutes & then force him in. I love the heat but this is too much!

Darcy and Rudy must be related. When it was sooo hot, Darcy would go lay in the sun. B) She just had to cook her old bones.Posted Image

Oh boy do I know, Hunter would just bake in the sun, I would have to
make him come in, he would just be in his glory.
Nancy

"

Health to Spare
and Friends who Care

My "Bounty Hunter"
11/6/2000.......8/3/2009
7/6/1990..........4/4/1999

"I LOVED you yesterday, I LOVE you today, and I will LOVE you tomorrow'"
for you have never really left me

#13 Dobes & Feathers

Dobes & Feathers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 01:40 PM

Dobes and Feathers, you did the right thing....I do it all the time and don't feel one bit bad about it! Be a voice for the voiceless (who happen to be owned by idiots).

My poor chickens are walking around panting and have their wings puffed out...so, I put them in the cooler barn. At nite, I put them back outside with a turbo fan on them while they roost. Dodger, the big white bunny in my avatar is around 12 yrs old and simply cannot tolerate this heat. I put him in the barn with frozen pop bottles filled with ice and a turbo fan on him and he seems to be fairing the best of them all. In his younger days, he and his girlfriend Juney used to burrow huge, deep holes and hide in them for days when it got hot. Now he's just too old and arthritic to do that kind of heavy work. He hates being in the house and caged, so this is the best I can offer. But, I do wonder how wild animals do....I hope OK. Don't feel one bit sorry for Brinks and Chyna....they spent their past 2 days at the lake, wading at the sand bar and eating handouts from friendly boaters :Tounge: .
Cheryl, I found a dead opposum in my window well today.....I know Brinks did it because I had a hard time getting him to come inside the other nite :Sick: . I'm glad it's an opposum and not a rat though.....ewwwwwww.

We don't fell one bit bad,it gave us a piece of mind at night that we had took action.
Probaly was'nt the first time.

Edited by Dobes & Feathers, 09 July 2012 - 01:42 PM.

Dreams become reality one choice at a time.

S.C.D.'s Rhue ( Little Red Rhuebarb) 2008 or 2009 to March 2021
Forever your paw print in our heart's
S.C.D.'s Darling Darla Blue(LaLa for short)
Our Velcro Love Bug ( approx D.O.B Jan,2004 to June,2011)
& one of the many Queens prior
Autumn ( Black Lab)
Sept 1996 to Feb 2010

#14 LibbyTea

LibbyTea

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 10:37 PM

So glad it has cooled down a bit. The dogs have been playing in the house. Libby even got Lillydale (husbands gordon setter) to play -running like wild animals though the house. Lilly jumped up on the couch to lay down and Libby jumped over the couch. Yes over the couch.I think she is half deer. Shocking but funny

#15 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 06:41 AM

I'm so glad she is fitting in without too much trouble. They deserve a life. Thank you!

#16 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:18 PM

Okay. I have to sound off about this heat. According to an article I read, there is a phenomenon called the "North Atlantic Oscillation," which is a high-pressure system that started out over the mountains in the West. At present, it is "stuck" over the Midwest. The reason? We have had a very mild winter, with very little snow and our spring was dry in comparison to prior years. This high-pressure system is impeding the movement of the Jet Stream, which controls our weather. If the ground was moist, it would absorb more of the heat, and things would be as usual. Not the case, unfortunately. Records have been broken across the nation - more than 40,000 temperature records in the month of June alone!!

We grow raspberries, blackberries and wine grapes. We have been running the irrigation system every night. After all, fruit is mostly water. We have a pond that we draw from to irrigate the crops. As a consequence of pumping thousands of gallons of water per night, the water level in the pond has dropped precipitously. Because of that, the fish are concentrated in a smaller volume of water and the oxygen level is depleted -- plus the algae bloom and the waste concentration from the fish. They all died. A poor deer, unbeknownst to us, tried to go down to get water, but became stuck in the muck and died. This weather pattern is making the nocturnal animals come out during the day in search of water. I saw a mother racoon and her 3 babies going through the pasture around 9:00 AM earlier in the week.

I feel for all the outside animals, and the owners who have no sense and take their dogs in the car with them, or worse, tie them out in the yard. Makes my blood boil. Good for you, Beverly & Angela, for calling out the owner in the grocery store.

Sugar and Hoss are managing. We have a 150-year-old farmhouse, with no air-conditioning. We've lost power four times since Fourth of July. I close everything up around 8:30 AM, and turn on the ceiling fans and the floor fans. Sugar is doing OK; Hoss is having a terrible time. Sugar stays out in the yard almost the whole night. Karen, she killed a possum the other night, too!!

We finally had rain today. However, the forecast, starting this coming Saturday, is back in the 90s for the next week to 10 days. Everyone take care. Let's hope somehow, some way, this system moves elsewhere.

Linda

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ... I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man.
-------------------------
Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Sugar Bear 06/18/2017
Shadow a/k/a Little Snoopy
SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)
Greta Von Reiman (1972-1984)

#17 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 07:08 AM

Thanks Linda, I needed that explanation on this mess I have up here. My creek is a trickle of what it used to be and the pond is a total disaster.

#18 Diana

Diana

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,200 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 12:17 PM

We have been seeing the coyotes out during the day time, right by our yard. Nixx was out one time and went barking at it, guess she thought she had found a new friend.....not.
I feel bad for all the animals too, the poor deer walking through here look like each step is a challenge for them.
Today we are getting some rain, not enough to catch things up, but will take what we can get.
Diana and Nixx
SCD's Wild Child Gamble CGC

#19 Nancy Robinson

Nancy Robinson

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 19 July 2012 - 05:57 PM

I am with ya Diana, I feel so bad for the wildlife too.
I have a lot of coyotes in my woods, although I have
not heard or seen them lately. I know they are there,

when I take Schaudeh out she looks back towards the
woods and acts very timid, it is fenced but that won't
stop a coyote. The deer I LOVE especially the little ones,
those eyes, ears and long legs, I love deer.

I keep my bird baths full and I put out a kiddie pool way
on the other side of the house for whatever needs a drink.

I only pray that people use "common sense" (??)
for their pets in the heat as well as farm animals.
Nancy

"

Health to Spare
and Friends who Care

My "Bounty Hunter"
11/6/2000.......8/3/2009