Photo

Who would be interested in doing a Pet adoption days?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Stacie

Stacie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 07:21 AM

I have looked into the pet adoption days at Petsmart. I know Arda is way to busy to do this but if we could get some local volunteers to take a few hours on a weekend day we could pull this off. If SCD joins the program they will receive money for every dog that gets adopted out through the adoption days (and they don't have to be adopted that day - it can be an application filled out that day and the dog picked up another time). The rescue would also be able to get grants and other things from Petsmart by joining the program. I am willing to put it all together if we have some people that would help bring some dobies there and sit for a few hours talking to people about the rescue and taking applications. I can spare the time to do it and can get all the paperwork in order for it to happen. Let me know who is interested - Boxer Haven Rescue has made money from it and gotten grants and other funding through the program. It could help the rescue out. I also think that when the vet clinic opens there they will do rescue work for the groups that are involved in the program. I also saw a few of the dog food reps. that come out on the weekends giving HEADS food (Nutro was one of them). From what I have heard from other rescue groups this is a wonderful program!
"Qui me amat, amat et canem meum" (Love me, love my dog)
The more people I meet the more I like my dog
"If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience"
-Woodrow Wilson
"Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate in their object-relations."
-Sigmund Freud

#2 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 09:37 AM

Stacie,

Please do not take offense to this. I know you mean well and I'm sure that this is a wonderful program, but I know how Arda feels about stuff like this. We have spent many hours in the past set up outside of another Pet supplies store and we also had an AWESOME booth set up at the Pet Expo with some of Arda's kids, as well as our own. It was our hope to be able to educate the public regarding the breed, collect donations and increase the number of adoptions.

The reality is that all of this was not worth the countless hours of time and effort that we put into it. Our time is best spent at the kennel, working with the dogs and getting them ready for their forever homes. Quite a while ago, Arda made it perfectly clear to the staff and volunteers that she no longer wanted us to do these types of things.

Cheryl
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#3 chimommy

chimommy

Chimommy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 10:32 AM

Stacey,
I would be interested in showing the small dogs there and adopting at later dates. Give me a call when you have a free minute.
Thanks for checking this all out. It makes things easier when you have a connection:)
Lorie

#4 Stacie

Stacie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:14 AM

Sounds like sitting outside would be difficult - that is to inform people. I have noticed that there is a lot of interaction between the animals and customers when set up inside. Did any of these places offer $$ per adoption or grants/other funding? Did it get anything for the rescue besides wasted time? I'll let you all know how it goes for BHR and if it is worth the couple of hours they are there. Adoption Days are as often as you want to make them. Lorie, I will get you the paperwork tomorrow when I'm up there and after I p/u the new guy I'll drop it off to you! I can also help you out while you are there.
"If a dog will not come to you after having looked you in the face, you should go home and examine your conscience"
-Woodrow Wilson
"Dogs love their friends and bite their enemies, quite unlike people, who are incapable of pure love and always have to mix love and hate in their object-relations."
-Sigmund Freud

#5 dobbiehearted

dobbiehearted

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 09:54 AM

I always worry how extensive is the screening process of the adopters.. this is huge issue,as all know.. this cant be done enough to protect a dog in need of a home from going to a bad one..

We hear the horror stories of the bunchers and just bad intentions or even careless people passing the screens... I am not judging one bit.. as those wonderful people are out there -- trying and working..it just always scares me when I see the get togethers....
My Beloved Lexa (April 1998 --Jan 2008)
My Cherished Loki -SCD ( May 2008- August 2012) *
http://www.secondcha...ic=6378&hl=loki
Baby Koda

#6 Stacie

Stacie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 984 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 11:34 AM

BHR will not adopt out from the site. An adoption application must be filled out, a background check with vets and references done and a home check done before the adoption can take place. BHR will still get $$ for each dog that adopts out from an application taken from the store. The dogs will be there for people to see and interact with only. The foster parent has the final say and if they don't feel right with the family that wants to adopt their dog they can deny them!
-Woodrow Wilson
-Sigmund Freud

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users