55 replies to this topic

#21 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 11:44 AM

Me too... it was scary! Unfortunately she died from DCM 10 months later at 6 years young! If it isn't one thing... it's another with this beautiful breed.
Amy

So sorry to hear that, Amy... :devil: You're right, if it's not one thing, it's another, but they're so worth every effort we put into them to keep them healthy and happy for as long as we can. :blink:
Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

#22 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 11:45 AM

I'd rather think he is trying to lick something out of the paw then. The one Ghost had was on the tummy and her licking was making it look like that. But just to be sure take him to the vet. And I will send Jarrod my XXL pullover. It's too big. Send me his address.

PM on its way! :blink:
Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

#23 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 12:29 PM

My dogs have had those...can't remember what they're called at the moment...when they get to playing rough and one nips the other a bit too hard! :blink: :devil: I took my Weim in one time as she had a huge one develop on her side that scared the crap out of me. Turns out she got from being slammed against the coffee table by Mia during a bought of rough play. :w00t: Needless to say, I don't rush them to the vet now when I see them form unless I KNOW it wasn't caused by gnashing teeth or a full-on body slam. :LOL:

I think you're talking about hematomas???I had the kids at the bark park here and Mollie runs around like a nut and she came running full speed into Titan's side. He barely moved, and he looked at her like she was nuts. I didn't notice any lumps the next day, but he just wasn't the same for the next few days, kink of subdued, not real active. I think she hurt him, but he is fine now.

Mary

Dogs don't know about beginnings, and they don't speculate on matters that occurred before their time.
Dogs also don't know-or at least don't accept-the concept of death.
With no concept of beginnings or endings, dogs probably don't know that for people, having a dog as a life companion provides a streak of light between two eternities of darkness
Stanley Coren

#24 aanderson

aanderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 01:01 PM

Mandy,

I am sorry to hear that he is not feeling well :devil: Please let us know what happens tonight.

You are right...they are worth all the effort and love we put into them!

Lots of hugs and love your way :blink:

Allison

Edited by aanderson, 08 May 2007 - 01:02 PM.

#25 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 01:25 PM

Mandy,

I am sorry to hear that he is not feeling well :LOL: Please let us know what happens tonight.

You are right...they are worth all the effort and love we put into them!

Lots of hugs and love your way :devil:

Allison

Thanks, Allison! :w00t: I'll let you guys know what his Doc has to say first thing tomorrow morning. :blink:

#26 bumpster

bumpster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 01:46 PM

All our fingers and paws are crossed for Gunner!
You think dogs will not be in heaven?
I tell you, they will be there long before any of us.
-Robert Lewis Stevenson-

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit,
you would stay out and your dog would go in.
-Mark Twain-

#27 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 02:03 PM

Mandy,
From the pic, it almost looks "cauliflower-ish", like a wart. Could it be a plantar's wart? They can extend deep into the soft tissue :blink:
We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare, and the love we can spare. And, in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

#28 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 02:11 PM

Mandy,
From the pic, it almost looks "cauliflower-ish", like a wart. Could it be a plantar's wart? They can extend deep into the soft tissue :devil:

Yes, it's very cauliflower-ish, which is what proud flesh looks like (see my post with the pic in it). My initial thought was that it looked like a wart, so it's kinda funny that you mention this. :w00t: Plantar's warts are painful, too! Hopefully it's nothing more than a wart or something stuck up in there that's causing him to lick the crap out of it. **fingers crossed** :blink:

#29 ella

ella

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 03:45 PM

Mandy. I hope everything turns out fine. you are in my thoughts and prayers.
Ella - mother of Princess and Bonnie Blue

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
-Josh Billings

#30 LuvmydobeApollo

LuvmydobeApollo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 08 May 2007 - 08:23 PM

It kind of looks like he had a cyst or something that opened up?! or some sort of injury that he is licking. If there is something in there it can be painful and make them limp. Just like people, i may limp and cry over a sliver and you might not. dogs are the same,,, he might just be really sensitive. Please let us know what the vet says,,, i hope its nothing!!!!!!!
sharen

#31 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:42 AM

My vet thinks it's a histeocytoma (What's a Histeocytoma?), which is a growth that will usually resolve itself within a few months. He thinks it may be the same thing Gunner had on his lip, although he did say that Gunner is a bit too old to have them, but it certainly wasn't impossible. I have a cream that I am to apply twice daily to help relieve the itchiness that's causing him to lick it along with an antibiotic to keep it from getting infected. I'm to watch it over the next two weeks to see how it does, and if it continues to bother him, we'll discuss having it removed.

I'm off to talk to Carolann about some alternative treatments to see if we can get it cleared up without surgery. She helped me get his lip cleared up so I'm sure she'll have something up her sleeve that's effective against this as well. :w00t:

My vet jokingly told me that in vet school, a histeocytoma is one of those things that you hurry up and remove before it goes away on its own. I told him Gunner's had his fair share of anesthetic procedures, that I'd rather not put him through another at his age and waste $1000 in the process on something that will go away on its own. :blink: Kinda makes one wonder what else they tell them to do in vet school for the sake of putting a buck in their pockets for things that aren't necessary. :devil:

#32 bumpster

bumpster

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:54 AM

I am so glad to hear is isn't anything too serious!
You think dogs will not be in heaven?
I tell you, they will be there long before any of us.
-Robert Lewis Stevenson-

Heaven goes by favor. If it went by merit,
you would stay out and your dog would go in.
-Mark Twain-

#33 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 08:56 AM

I am so glad to hear is isn't anything too serious!

As am I...thank you!! :devil:

(And my husband was very thankful that I walked out of the office with only a $49.10 bill! :blink: )

#34 Heather M

Heather M

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:45 AM

What a relief!

#35 debl

debl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 09:56 AM

So glad to hear it's not cancer :blink:

#36 Vicki_Wood

Vicki_Wood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 10:54 AM

Good news Mandy, am so glad. Being married to a vet at one time, don't get me going on how they charge good people truly worried about their critters!

#37 chimommy

chimommy

Chimommy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 01:10 PM

Does anyone know if dogs can get warts like we do? Proud flesh kind of sounds like keloids in humans. Maybe it is just something viral that he got into since it is between his pad area. Hope it is nothing serious.
Lorie

#38 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 09 May 2007 - 04:07 PM

Mandy, I'm so glad that it is something that can clear up. We had our fingers and toes crossed here at our house. That's the kind of news I like to see on this board when I get home from work.
So much heartache members have gone through.

Mary

Dogs don't know about beginnings, and they don't speculate on matters that occurred before their time.
Dogs also don't know-or at least don't accept-the concept of death.
With no concept of beginnings or endings, dogs probably don't know that for people, having a dog as a life companion provides a streak of light between two eternities of darkness
Stanley Coren

#39 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 10:18 AM

Thanks for the good thoughts everyone! :devil: Gunner is still pretty sore and limping...hopefully we'll see some improvement within the week. :blink:

#40 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 10 May 2007 - 11:53 AM

What a relief!

ditto that!

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users