29 replies to this topic

#21 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:36 PM

He's just showing off Patricia. Ever once in a while Ken has to show me he is smarter than we are. What he forgot to tell us is what happens when the head is empty and can't explode. Do I just disappear?
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#22 Ken

Ken

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:44 PM

If I was smart, I would have figured it out and not had a problem in the first place. I would also have enough money to buy that island that Bill Gates lives on and boot him off of it.

#23 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:47 PM

Go for it Ken. We will seek you out and make your life miserable. I can't even fill out an application and send it back. I have to let the webmastress do it.

#24 dobermidwife

dobermidwife

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 637 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 04:38 PM

Joaquin,

I finally decided to take the plunge and attempt to attach some pictures of the furkids. When I made my first attachment out of my pictures file it said my file was too big. Can you help??

Lee Ann

Lee Ann

HQ Back in Time of Phesika   "Griffin"

HQ Prevailing Grace   "Gracie"

Waiting at the Bridge:

Stadtwald's Boston Red Coat  "Cody" 

Aradeena Ruark's Lacey  "Lacey"

Logan & Lexi    littersmates

SCD Up-C-Dazy  "Dazy"

HMDD Brody 

SCD Bella

We can judge a heart of man according to his love for animals.~~Immanuel Kant

#25 Joaquin

Joaquin

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 09:13 PM

Ok gather around folks I'm going to dig into the computer geek vault and hopefully help everyone to be able to shrink their photos to post here or really anywhere.

I researched 2 options. First there is "image Resizer for Windows". It is an open source program (free) that is super easy to install and use. Best thing about it is there is no program to use, once installed you simply right-click your photo files on your computer and the menu will have "Resize photos" as an option and it will bring up a menu for your to choose a couple settings and it will when save the shrunken photo(s) into the same folder as the original with (small) (medium) etc. added to the name based on the picture size you choose. Then you simply upload the new smaller copy of the photo to the board. The really cool thing about this is you can select multiple files at the same time, right-click and select to shrink them, and it will shrink them all at once!!!

http://imageresizer.codeplex.com/

For anyone that doesn't want to download and install something, there are this and other websites that will shrink your photos for you. www.shrinkpictures.com is a very easy site to use to shrink your photos. There is even a video on their site showing you how to do it. This way is easy but one question that didn't seem answered on the site was what rights are you giving up on your pictures that you upload to have them shrink for you if any? Do they have the right to use them or even sell them?

http://www.shrinkpictures.com/

I will also make an updated How-to video on uploading a picture here on the SCD board maybe showing how to use Image Resizer and also uploading to a new topic as well as replying to a post as they are a little bit different.

#26 Joaquin

Joaquin

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:57 PM

I've identified the source of the problem and have a way around it, however the mystery is: Why is it doing this?

PUBLIC HEALTH WARNING!!! The following contains many Secret Computer Geek Lodge code words and acronyms. Reader discretion is advised! The SCGL and it's members cannot be held liable for any physical or mental damage self-inflicted by non-GEEKS who attempt to read on. This includes, but is not limited to, your brain exploding.

So. The problem appears to be in JPG images created by Adobe Lightroom (or Ken?). I take all of my pictures in the Pentax RAW format, import them to Adobe Lightroom, make any needed adjustments then export them as JPG images. When I was troubleshooting the problem I tried different file sizes but none would upload. Yeah I don't think it is a size issue.

As a test, I tried uploading text and Word doc files. They uploaded just fine. As I suspect because Lightroom hasn't had it's grubby little hands on those files. I tried uploading other JPG images and received the error again. I then tried uploading a JPG that was downloaded some time ago. Success. Now I'm scratching my head trying to figure out what the difference was. Suspecting that the server didn't like something about the Lightroom JPG files, I used Pentax's Digital Camera Utility to create a JPG of a couple of the original files that failed. The server accepted them.

Maybe Lightroom had a problem? Not necessarily a problem but just that Lightroom is a powerful I can view it's JPG files in any program without problems. I don't think it's a problem with viewing them but instead something about them that the board doesn't like and therefore won't accept them. I tried both Adobe Lightroom 3 and Lightroom 4 (each on a different computer) (So everything was different except the user huh? hehe) but the server will not accept images created by either.

BTW, both Explorer and Firefox produce the same results. This is a habit of web developers to try this first because of all the lovely "perks" of the different ways Internet Explorer, FireFox, Chrome etc. have been programmed to render HTML/CSS/Javascript, was worth a shot.

Could the server be tagging the Lightroom JPG files as being infected by a virus? Probably not the server and not a virus. Definitely seems like the board software we use doesn't like "something" about your generated image files. It's highly unlikely that they actually are infected as each computer is running a different anti-virus program (ESET and AVG). Been using AVG for years so I don't think you are infected, besides if an infected file hit our server, our host would be all over us as they have been in the past. This tells me that an infected file didn't make it to the server and is being stopped at the upload point, the board software. Could it be a false positive triggered by some unique-to-Lightroom bit pattern in the JPG files that other JPGs don't have or a bad DAT file on the server? A couple of years ago the hospital was hit by a bad McAffe DAT file that deleted a critical Windows system file and took the entire hospital down in about 15 minutes. It took a bunch of CDs and "SneakerNet" to get them up and running again. Funny you mention faulty anti-virus causing a ruckus. At work they turned on a network threat detection feature of Symantec Endpoint Protection and it considered the webserver software on our servers as a threat (because it was trying to allow incoming connections to view it's webpages, how dare it right?) as well as considered our remote access software a threat. So there we are with 50 webservers "not" serving our application and "not" letting us remote in to fix the problem. We had legal assistants and mailroom attendants at our offices all over the country crawling into the server rooms scared to death of touching anything as we blindly walked them through disabling this "protection".

Anyway, I'll use the Pentax utility to make my SCD pictures for now.

My best shot from the hip answer would be that Lightroom is somehow stripping some important data such as the MIME type or something like that which would make the board software not recognize the file type and thusly reject it. I would make sure the export settings on Lightroom aren't removing the MIME type of "image/jpeg" or look for some sort of non-default actions it is taking on the image files during export. In other words, from a fresh install of Lightroom with default settings does it still export "broken" jpgs?

Other than that it might be a case of "Doctor my arm hurts when I do this......" and you might have to use a less beafy image editor such as the one I suggest above, nothing easier than right-clicking and selecting Resize Image.

Here is a link to a site listing the different MIME types of image files:

http://www.utoronto.ca/webdocs/HTMLdocs/Book/Book-3ed/appb/mimetype.html#imag

Ken

#27 Ken

Ken

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 08:51 PM

Joaquin,

Thanks for the info. If anyone's head didn't explode reading my post then you should have got them with yours. That's teamwork! :LOL:

I couldn't find anything out of the ordinary in the export process, at least nothing that I can control. As you suggest, I'll just use the Pentax utility or your resize utility from here on out.

Ken

#28 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:05 PM

Between Ken and Joaquin......you make us simple people dizzy.

#29 Joaquin

Joaquin

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:35 PM

Ha you say that but then you had to give me lessons in how to start/ride your John Deere, my computer skills did come at a cost. :Silly:

#30 Ken

Ken

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:13 PM

Between Ken and Joaquin......you make us simple people dizzy.

It's all just smoke and mirrors, Arda. Which is a nice way of saying BS. As long as everyone thinks that Joaquin and I know what we are talking about they will keep on paying us the big bucks. For myself, I gave up on keeping pace with technology once vacuum tubes were replaced by transistors. Yes, I still have several boxes of those tubes in the overhead of the garage. I just know that they will come back into common use some day. I'll bet if your John Deere engine was controlled by vacuum tubes rather than a tiny computer it would start right up for anyone including Joaquin. You just have to wait a couple of minutes after you turn it on...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users