56 replies to this topic

#1 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 09:55 AM

I started this topic so that we could have a place to post classes being offered to prepare you to take the AKC's Canine Good Citizen Test as well as the actual testing dates.

Positive Way Dog Training, Belleville, MI

Canine Good Citizen & Therapy Dog Testing
Next test: October 29th beginning at 9am. (limit of 10)
e-mail Carolyn for more details. dogclassinfo@aol.com
Must pre-register, no walk-ins on the day of test

http://www.positivew...s-schedule.html
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#2 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 10:21 AM

For those of you who would like to try the Canucky version of the test CGN - the training facility where Wes/Tux train is holding tests in late November.

Wyzguyz Kennels

The test is slightly different : http://www.ckc.ca/De...t.aspx?tabid=45

Stef
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

SCD's Shooting Star "Stella" - We will work on titles. :)
Vixenvale Kingston's Warren - Kingston (2006-2017)
SCD's Black Tie Affair "Tux" - PCD, CGN, CGC (2004-2015)
Can CH Jimary Jack's Are High "Jack" (Pug) - PCD

#3 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 02:37 PM

Per the AKC website here are a few more test dates in our area...

10-Sep-05 Pontiac Kennel Club Davisburg, MI Type: Test
1-Oct-05 Southern Michigan Obedience Training Club Troy, MI Type: Test

Neither had contact information but I'm sure we can find something... I'll post when I find it or others can if they do before me...

I'll have check Skitter's "graduation certificate, we may have taken obedience classes through SMOTC...

Joni
Emmalin Jane, George, Clyde, and Rascal (meow & hiss)
From the Bridge - Cosmo (12/2005), Katie (7/2006), Mr. Munchkin (11/2008), Bella DSA, CGC (1/2009), Skitter DSA (12/2010), Beau (11/2014), and Calvin (6/2017)

"The world of the generous gets larger and larger... The on who blesses other is abundantly blessed; those who help other are helped." Proverbs 11:24-25

"They that sow in tears shall reap in joy" Psalms 126:5

#4 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 02:48 PM

Michael Burkey also has CGC classes and I know he is also an evaluator because he does the CGC test at our greyhound picnics... He even has a "special fun" (unofficial, or course) GGC which is the Greyhound Good Citizen, HA!!! It involves no sitting since greyhounds are notorious for not sitting!!! HA!!!

Michael Burkey's website

Joni
From the Bridge - Cosmo (12/2005), Katie (7/2006), Mr. Munchkin (11/2008), Bella DSA, CGC (1/2009), Skitter DSA (12/2010), Beau (11/2014), and Calvin (6/2017)

"The world of the generous gets larger and larger... The on who blesses other is abundantly blessed; those who help other are helped." Proverbs 11:24-25

#5 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 15 August 2005 - 05:53 PM

Theres a CGC test coming up Sunday Sept 4th at the
Wayne county fairgrounds with the Livonia & Oakland county
KC shows there that weekend.
It is put on by Bluewater Bouvier club
from 10- 2 pm cost $10.
Info call: 586 997-3060
I believe it will be held indoors in one of buildings,
but I have tested at that one & was outside.

Livonia KC is doing health testing on sunday as
well... Cardiac exams clinic & Eye cerf clinic
Heart is $30 & eye is $27 per dog.
Same site.. 9 am-3:30 pm
Call: 248 349-1565 spinone@comcast.net

They are having Obedience trial/Rally friday
Sat/sun monday are conformation & Obed/ rally
& sat they have an AGILTY Demo/ Match at 10 am
& a puppy fun match as well after the show app. 5pm.

The wayne county fairgrounds are off I-94 exit #190
to service Dr. follow signs to fairgrounds...

#6 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 01:40 PM

I also e-mailed Bobbie Green, the lady who was doing the testing on Sunday, and asked her what we would need to do if we wanted, or could, host our own event...

Joni

#7 KellyB

KellyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 20 August 2005 - 07:21 PM

Good Luck Everyone on getting your CGC. As soon as I'm better I'm sending for Dakota's tag to wear on her collar.
Dakota and Myles's Mom

#8 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 11:58 AM

Stef,
your right the Canadian CGN test is alittle different, our Red Girl
you saw at the Match- Sahara passed hers at the Sarnia shows
2 yrs ago. so she has both. It was put on by the Dalmation club
there. :) Do they have to be CKC reg to get it?
Sahara has her can ERN No. for her Can CH/CD so they took that.
Daisy

#9 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 21 August 2005 - 12:24 PM

Daisy - nope - anyone can take it. :D The same rules apply as to the CGC, it's for everyone. :D

I've been on the phone with the PetID people to get those tags ... except I want a gold one for Wes' show collar - which seems to be proving a little tricky. :) :(
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

#10 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 07:08 PM

Theres a Canine Good Citizen test Sunday April 30th, 2006
sponsored by the Progressive KC.
Its with their 2 days of all breed shows at:
Birch Run Expo Center in birch run, mich
Sunday: 10 am to 2 pm
If not entered in show there is admission fee.
Test Fee:$5.00 (dogs need not be entered in show)
Pre-registration by April 12th- limited to 60 dogs
Checks payable to:Progresive dog club of wayne county
Send to: Debra Davis (248)627-3729 email-ddavis@cook-inc.com
3372 Breezewoodct.
Ortonville, mi 48462
Bring copy rabies certificate
check in by 10 am

Entry form:

Name:
Address:
City, State, Zip
Dogs Name( for certificate)
Is dog entered in breed Obedience
AKC Number:
CKC #
Dogs must be AKC or CKC reg. or ILP

#11 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 21 March 2006 - 07:56 PM

Daisy,

Is it inside? Would I use my ILP# or my PEN#? :(

#12 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 01:12 PM

Yes, I would think it is indoors as the show is.
I would use the AKC ILP number I guess.
But email Debra at ddavis@cook-inc.com
& ask.
Good luck
Daisy

#13 brownsmom

brownsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 01:50 PM

Is this an AKC or UKC show?

Honey Locust Hills On A Wing and A Prayer  DCAT CA (Faith),  Honey Locust Hills Little Leap of Faith DCAT (Hop),   Honey Locust Hills Notorious B.I.G CA DCAT (Big)  and UKC CHTurkhaven's Notorious RBG CA DCAT(Ruth) 

"Love is everything it's cracked up to be. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for." Erica Jong.   In memory: SCD Where's the Beef, CGC (1995-September 20, 2008); Athena's Dark Angel (May 1, 2009 - November 17, 2011); Second Chance Bow to Me CGC, RN (?-July 3, 2012); Second Chance Brownie Zipper CGC, RN (2000-September 23, 2013) SCD Catch Me If You Can  (2006 - May 3, 2016) DPRRM Sapphire Hidden Treasure, CGC (December 1, 2005- December 5, 2016)  SCD Watchful Princess ( - 2018) C-ATCH  CS-ATCH4 CS-ATE SCD Some Roads Are Rocky CGC, NA, NAJ, AXP, MJP2, OPF (October 10, 2005 - September 10, 2019)  C-ATCH5 PACH2 Shadow's On Eagles Wings, BCAT, CGC, TKI, NA, NAJ, XFP,  MJP2, MJPB, MXP3. MXPB, T2BP, PAX (Gabe) October 23, 2011 - May 26 2020)

UKC CH Ashtrick N Kettle Cove Irish Royalty, OA, OAJ, OAP, AJP, NF, OFP, CAA, CGC, SPOT, TKI, FCAT (March 4,  2015- July 29, 2022)

#14 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:22 PM

Progressive KC is an AKC show...
They have Conformation & Obedience classes
but are not offering pre-novice or Rally classes. :(

#15 ella

ella

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 10:28 PM

I was at Petco down in Taylor today and I seen a poster for training for the CGC test. I checked and was told it was a 8 week class and it would cost $89.00. Does that seem right? It seemed a little high, but I don't know.
Ella - mother of Princess and Bonnie Blue

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
-Josh Billings

#16 KellyB

KellyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 08:08 AM

Ella,

I went through the BelleCity Kennel club here. I paid $60 for a six week class and test. I do not know if you have to take the class in order to be able to get tested. If your dog can go through all of the 10 little tests with no problem then you probably and just do the test. Their was a gentleman who came to watch his friend go through the test and ended up taking the test I didn't stay to see if he passed.

Kelly
Dakota and Myles's Mom

#17 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 03:35 PM

Hi,
No, as far as I know you dont have to take your dog to classes
first to go thru the CGC, but the dog does need to have some
basic training, like walking on leash, sit/down/come when called.
I would think the fee you saw for the classes was about right, based
on the other training places Ive seen around.
Daisy

#18 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 29 April 2006 - 03:45 PM

Theres a training place on ford rd in westland, mich
at the Superpetz store called the training place.
They do all kinds of classes that are $49 for 4 weeks
& it says they do CGC classes too..
Web: www.trainingplace.net

Daisy

#19 brownsmom

brownsmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,371 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 07:43 AM

Ella,

I went through the BelleCity Kennel club here. I paid $60 for a six week class and test. I do not know if you have to take the class in order to be able to get tested. If your dog can go through all of the 10 little tests with no problem then you probably and just do the test. Their was a gentleman who came to watch his friend go through the test and ended up taking the test I didn't stay to see if he passed.
Kelly

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You don't have to take any classes to take the test. :flower:

I think that it would be possible to pass it without classes. For me, with Brownie, the benefit of classed was that he could get used to strangers touching him, and
working where there are distractions.

It is usually $5.00 to take the test. You could try one and then see if you needed to take classes to work on stuff if you didn't pass. Also, the woman helping the tester yesterday was telling the story of her dog who had qualifying UD (Utility Dog) scores who failed the test because he wouldn't come when she called him. She said he just stood there like" You have to be kidding- that isn't a recall!" SO I guess the point is no matter how much training, you can't always be prepared!

Ella - the classes you quoted sounded pretty pricy. MAybe because you are in the city? Around here it seems to be $50-70 for an 8 week class.

Honey Locust Hills On A Wing and A Prayer  DCAT CA (Faith),  Honey Locust Hills Little Leap of Faith DCAT (Hop),   Honey Locust Hills Notorious B.I.G CA DCAT (Big)  and UKC CHTurkhaven's Notorious RBG CA DCAT(Ruth) 

"Love is everything it's cracked up to be. It really is worth fighting for, being brave for, risking everything for." Erica Jong.   In memory: SCD Where's the Beef, CGC (1995-September 20, 2008); Athena's Dark Angel (May 1, 2009 - November 17, 2011); Second Chance Bow to Me CGC, RN (?-July 3, 2012); Second Chance Brownie Zipper CGC, RN (2000-September 23, 2013) SCD Catch Me If You Can  (2006 - May 3, 2016) DPRRM Sapphire Hidden Treasure, CGC (December 1, 2005- December 5, 2016)  SCD Watchful Princess ( - 2018) C-ATCH  CS-ATCH4 CS-ATE SCD Some Roads Are Rocky CGC, NA, NAJ, AXP, MJP2, OPF (October 10, 2005 - September 10, 2019)  C-ATCH5 PACH2 Shadow's On Eagles Wings, BCAT, CGC, TKI, NA, NAJ, XFP,  MJP2, MJPB, MXP3. MXPB, T2BP, PAX (Gabe) October 23, 2011 - May 26 2020)

UKC CH Ashtrick N Kettle Cove Irish Royalty, OA, OAJ, OAP, AJP, NF, OFP, CAA, CGC, SPOT, TKI, FCAT (March 4,  2015- July 29, 2022)

#20 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 01 May 2006 - 09:33 AM

Ella,
I know Princess and I think you have a good shot at passing without taking classes. She has to do basic obedience...sit, stay, and come a 20 foot distance. The hardest thing is the 3 minute separation from you. She has to sit with a stranger for 3 minutes while you are out of site and although she can be concerned, she has to maintain some composure. You could practice that with any of your friends. She can do it!
We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare, and the love we can spare. And, in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users