27 replies to this topic

#1 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 11:42 AM

I haven't had time to do any web searches yet, but does anyone here have experience with Addison's Diesease or Cushings Disease?? Gunner's got something wrong with him and we haven't been able to figure it out as of yet...my vet suggested a possibility of either Addison's or Chushings. At this point, we're not sure what's going on, but we will be doing further testing over the next few weeks. ;)

Arda...do you remember who the lady was that adopted Killian at the same time we adopted Gunner? Her name is Karen M-something...she has a GSP with Addison's and I'd like to contact her if possible about it.
Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

#2 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 01:35 PM

I looked online for you...

http://www.vetinfo.com/daddison.html

http://www.vetinfo.com/dcushing.html

Hope that helps...
The website i went to was

http://www.vetinfo.com

#3 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 02:06 PM

Found another good article on Cushing's Disease: Canine Chushing's Disease
Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

#4 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 08:40 PM

I looked at the pictures and tried to follow the scientific explanation. Really sorry, Mandy, about Gunner. Hope it's something easily fixed. It hurts when your kids aren't well. It's even worse when it doesn't have a name so you don't know what to do, so I hope they can diagnose eventually. ;)

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#5 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 10:15 AM

Hi Mandy,

Sorry to hear that Gunner is not feeling well. Last summer, the vet suspected Cushing's or Diabetes Insipidus in my beloved Niko. After several different types of tests, she was negative for both. What started all of this was that Niko was drinking tons of water and then urinating in the house. The only thing the vet was able to tell me was that her liver enzymes were slightly elevated and her urine was very diluted (verses being concentrated). The vet however did not seem to be concerned with this. The excessive drinking of water and urinating in the house only happened a handful of times but it was enough of a concern to take her in for further testing since this was something out of the ordinary for her. I sincerely hope that whatever is going on with Gunner is nothing too serious. He will be in our thoughts and prayers.

Cheryl & Ms. Cocoa
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#6 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 08:46 PM

Mandy,
Is Gunner drinking a lot of water? If someone's blood sugar is up, they tend to drink excessive amounts of water to help flush the sugar out, sometimes causing them to urinate inappropriately. It would take blood work to find this out, and not just one check, but multiple ones to see any changes. Blood sugar can change dramatically within an hour's time, sometimes minutes. Prolonged high blood sugar can also eventually affect vision, kidney function, and a whole host of other things ;) I hope Gunner is feeling back to his old self soon!
Karen
We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare, and the love we can spare. And, in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

#7 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 11:05 AM

Hi Mandy,

Do you have any updates for us on Gunner?

Cheryl
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#8 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 11:43 AM

Sorry, haven't had much time to post lately! :)

We just went through a ten day round of heavy duty antibiotics as the last time Gunner had a bladder infection, it started the same way--urine leakage with extremely diluted urine, small traces of blood (although invisible under the microscope) and no visible bacteria present. After about a week and a half of dealing with that, the infection finally reared its ugly head and we found visible blood and bacteria and immediately started him on the same antibiotic he just finished--which did the trick spendidly the first time! :)

At this point, my vet and I are thinking that Gunner is developing another bladder infection as he's exhibiting the same previous symptoms--urine leakage with extremely diluted urine, small traces of blood (although invisible under the microscope) and no visible bacteria present. My vet put him on an antibiotic for a couple of weeks, but we still have the same thing going on with the leaking, urine dilution, etc...hence the additional ten days of meds with a different antibiotic (the one that worked the first time around). The first antibiotic we tried initially only seemed to slow the progression of the infection as we still have diluted urine with small traces of blood and virtually no bacteria. We tried this route hoping that since the infection was in its early stages, it'd be enough to take care of it, but it didn't do its job entirely.

I was to collect a urine sample this morning and take it in to have it tested again, but Gunner felt otherwise...he was more interested in following me around and ensuring I was petting him than producing a sample. :D So I'll take one in tomorrow and we'll see if the new antibiotic did the trick.

What my vet thinks is going on, and I don't know the proper terminology here so bear with me, is that Gunner has a pretty weak sphinchter muscle in his bladder which is allowing bacteria to enter. We're going to put him on some meds to help strengthen that muscle (I forget the name of it, but it starts with a P and is the same stuff they put incontinent females on). We're hoping this helps keep the infections away.

Of course, if the urinalysis tomorrow shows no improvement, we'll be doing further blood work and testing to determine if there's another cause to the diluted urine and slight traces of blood. :D

#9 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 01:13 PM

Premarin?

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#10 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 11 April 2005 - 02:04 PM

No, it's not Premarin, I just found what it is...Phenylpropanolamine. :)

#11 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 07:12 PM

Also known as Proin. Too bad the FDA banned phenylpropanolamine in cold and sinus meds over the counter. I used to buy Chlor-Trimetron, and used it for years on one of my other Dobes. $2.50 for a box of 24 versus $23.00 for a bottle of 50 from the vet. What can I say?

Good luck, Mandy. Hope Gunner is on the mend.

Linda

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ... I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man.
-------------------------
Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Sugar Bear 06/18/2017
Shadow a/k/a Little Snoopy
SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)
Greta Von Reiman (1972-1984)

#12 ella

ella

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 12 April 2005 - 09:22 PM

Mandy
I hope Gunner is feeling better in no time. It's teribble when our babies are sick

Ella
Ella - mother of Princess and Bonnie Blue

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
-Josh Billings

#13 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 05:07 PM

I wanted to post some information about Betty, as this Cushing's Disease/Addison's/Diabetes Insipidus is something we may all have to deal with. Cheryl's beloved Niko had urinary incontinence, Jane's Tango has similar problems, and my Betty has been not just dripping, but leaking since we adopted her (and Grindle) back in November.

We started out on Proin (phenylpropanolamine), which helped stem the tide for a little while, but Betty never stopped dripping. We then switched to Sudafed, as Arda had great luck with using that on her older female Dobes. Same thing: never stopped leaking.

We then tried Premarin. Same result: the leaking never entirely ceased.

Finally, my vet determined that we would give her some vasopressin, rather than put her through the water deprivation test, to see if her urine would concentrate. Dehydration is a major factor with any of these diseases, and very dangerous for them.

We gave her a shot on a Saturday. I was to bring her back that following Wednesday, but we were in trial and I couldn't leave work. I did get her in that Thursday, but the interval was too long in between and she was leaking like a sieve. Basically, we were starting all over again, as she was leaking the whole time from that Thursday on. We were able to catch a urine sample, and her urine was now concentrated - after 1 injection. So, we were on the right track.

I stopped by my vet's office the following Monday, and he gave me a vile and a syringe and ordered a 10-pack for me. I injected her that evening. I went back on Friday and picked up my "package." I am now injecting her every three (3) days until we get her back on track, and then we'll try to stretch it out and see how long I can really go in between shots. I am also giving her Sudafed each day, 60 mg, to help with her muscle tone.

FINALLY - SUCCESS. Betty has STOPPED DRIPPING. FINALLY!!!!

I have not noticed any change in her appetite, behavior, or demeanor. She is a happy girl, and eats her dinner with relish (I should say zeal; no pickles here).

A pack of 10 viles of vasopressin (0.5 ml) costs $100. This will last only about 30 days if I have to administer a shot every 3 days.

All of these diseases have such similar symptoms, it was quite the ordeal to pinpoint exactly what was going on.

Bottom line: This can be managed. I'm sure whoever had Betty before either didn't want to spend the money, or just couldn't handle the laundry involved with letting her be the way she was. My vet had a patient that started injections when the dog was 9, and he euthanized this animal at the end of last year, at age 15. So, with proper maintenance, they can live a long, healthy life.

I feel for any of you dealing with the problem, as this was a riddle that was difficult to solve. I just wanted to pass on our "success" story, as it may help someone else out there scratching their head wondering which way to address the issue.

Linda

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ... I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man.
Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)

#14 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 08:22 AM

Wow, Linda, I will keep this in mind. Tiki had two bouts of leaking recently for the first time in years. She stopped all on her own. I'm not sure if she just wasn't feeling good or what.

You sure did have to go through a lot of worrying and trouble to get this thing diagnosed and fixed and I appreciate your posting about it so that others can draw from your experience.

I'm so happy that you can afford to manage Betty's condition, and that you are able to give injections! What a great mommy you are! :) Betty sure lucked out and got the right person.

Sorry you had to go through so much to get here.

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

*bark?*

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

#15 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 10:17 AM

Thank you Linda for sharing all of this wonderful information. It's nice to hear that you have finally found something that works well to help manage Betty's condition. It's definitely a very frustrating thing to have to deal with. Niko was incontinent since the day I brought her home (she was approximately 4 years of age). I was forever washing blankets and just as soon as I gave her a fresh one, she'd have it soiled in no time. Of course, this was not always the case, but anyone who has had to deal with incontinence knows, it's hit or miss. Last summer, when Niko was tested for Cushings and also for Diabetes Insipidus (she was negative for both), the vet never suggested the vasopressin injections. I had several samples of her urine tested that summer and again in the fall and the results always came back diluted. Her doctor didn't seem overly concerned and so we went about our merry way. I can't help but sit here and wonder if the vasopressin injections would have helped her. I will definitely keep the information that you have provided in mind for any future incontinent occurrences. Thanks again Linda.

Cheryl

-Arda Barber

#16 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 13 May 2005 - 06:59 PM

Just wanted to update you on the Urinary Incontinence problem. Betty initially responded well to the vasopressin and Proin combination. However, as with every new med I've tried, she does well and then slowly regresses back to where she was. This is the case again. I called my vet tonight, and asked him to think about Betty's problem. I'm to call him back on Monday and we'll discuss the issue. In the last week, she has been leaking just like she used to. I came home tonight, and her comforter was soaked. Needless to say, we're back doing laundry every night. :whistling: What can I say? Somehow we'll figure out this puzzle.

Linda

Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)

#17 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 12:55 PM

Oh geez Linda. I am so sorry to hear this. Poor Betty. Keep us posted on what the doc says regarding this.

-Arda Barber

#18 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 15 May 2005 - 04:00 PM

Thanks, Cheryl. It's really weird. Some days the meds work OK, other days we're not so fortunate. I have her up to over 200 mg of Proin daily, besides the Vasopressin every three days. I'm scratching my head, believe me!

I'll keep you posted. :whistling:

Linda

Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)

#19 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 11:26 AM

Sorry to hear about Betty, Linda! :whistling:

Also as an update on Gunner's leaking, he's doing very well on the Phenylpropanolamine and hasn't leaked a drop! :stuart: I'm taking in another urine sample tomorrow to check specific gavity to see if his dilution is back to normal. My guess is it will be as the last time he was on Phenylpropanolamine, his dilution returned to normal...got my fingers crossed!!

#20 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 16 May 2005 - 10:40 PM

Posted Image Me too Mandy!

-Arda Barber

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users