5 replies to this topic

#1 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 04:30 PM

Last night was our last class for basic obedience...and it was graduation night complete with a test that had to be performed in front of the whole class!! :o There were several obstacles set-up that had to be completed in sequence in order to demonstrate not only or handling skills, but the dogs skills as well, however we weren't necessarily going for perfection in the dogs performance. We had to be able to show good recoveries when the dog did screw up in order to demostrate our understanding of everything we learned.

At any rate, there was about 14-15 dogs in our class. Belle was totally stressed out and going nuts while we waited in the staging area for each dog to go through the exercises. I didn't want to take her out first as I knew she needed time to settle into the situation and get into a somewhat focused working mode. So we hung back while everyone else went out and performed the exercises.

With two dogs left, Belle and another young Chessie, I decided we should probably head out and get to work. Belle had settled somewhat by this time (we'd been waiting in the staging area for about an hour so she had plenty of time to get acquainted with what was going on) and I felt we could probably go out and do a decent job. The good thing about the test is that we worked as an individual team so that Cathy could evaluate each of us in turn rather than having all 14 dog/owner teams out there working around each other.

Our first exercise was to pick up two bags of groceries, carry them from one cone to the next (about 10 feet apart) and back with the dog on a loose leash and in heal position if possible, the majority of the purpose of this exercise was to maintain slack in the lead so we could carry the groceries successfully.

Belle and I walked into the ring to begin our exercises. I walked Belle around a bit doing some heeling and attention work to get her into focus mode and we began. I put her in a sit stay next to the first cone while I picked up the groceries and had her heel while we carried them to the next cone and back. She did fairly well, although didn't maintain a perfect heel, but did keep slack in the line--YEAH!! :)

The next exercise was for us to walk over to a chair, put the dog in a sit/stay next to the chair, drop the dogs leash and walk over to another chair that contained a stack of magazines (about 15 feet away). We were to pick up the magazines and walk them back to the first chair, all while the dog stayed in a sit/stay until we returned and released the dog.

I put Belle in a sit/stay next to chair #1 and hesitantaly dropped the leash. This was the first time outiside of working at home that I have ever NOT had ahold of her via the leash and I didn't know what she would do. I told Cathy this was the first time I'd ever let her go outside of our home setting...she told me to have a little faith in Belle and trust that she would do as asked...so I dropped the leash and began walking to chair #2 for the magazines. In my mind, I visualized her catching a glimple of the Corgi on the other side of the room and B-lining it to him in order to eat the little dude...my worst nightmare!!

Belle didn't even flinch!!! :woohoo: She sat there in a lovely sit/stay and watched as I picked up the magazine and brought them back to her. Her little butt started wagging as I got closer to her so I had to remind her to stay and not get up, and she complied wholeheartedly! She, of course, got a nice chunk of liver before I released her. ;)

On to our next exercise...weave between three cones and back carrying a tennis ball on a spoon without dropping it. Needless to say, a loose leash was a necessity here. :)

I put Belle in a sit/stay while I bent down to pick up the tennis ball and place it on the spoon.....mind you, tennis balls are one of Belles most favorite things. ;) She nosed it a couple of times as if she wanted to grab it, but a firm "leave it" convinced her otherwise. I was pretty much shaking at this point after having put the leash down earlier and not knowing what to expect. I dropped the tennis ball right off the bat, no fault of anyone but my own. I picked up the ball and began again, ensuring Belle kept slack in the line. She did very well, although did not heel very well, but she wasn't pulling on me, which was perfect! I gave her directional commands to follow me as we weaved through the cones (I use "this way" to get my dog's attention when I'm changing directions so she knew what she was supposed to do). She weaved right through those cones along with me with the ease of a seasoned agility champion!! ;)

Off we went to the next challenge...have the dog sit/stay (or down/stay, we could choose which we'd rather do throughout all of the exercises) while someone approached and greeted us with a handshake (Cathy was the greeter).

We approached Cathy and Belle was put into a sit/stay. Cathy approached and extended her hand in greeting. Again, Belle didn't flinch but rather sat there like she should until I released her. Cathy commented at this time about how glad she was that she was seeing Belle work in a focused manner, unlike how she normally is when all the other dogs were out with us. :) She completely understands what Belle goes through, and doesn't make me push her in class farther than she's emotionally capable of going, which I'm greatful for. :)

The next exercise was to stop and pick up some trash with a dust pan and broom while the dog mainted a sit or down stay.

Again, Belle was perfect. She wanted to sniff the paper I was picking up, but again, a "leave it" changed her mind and she sat there like a statue while I picked up the mess. ;)

Next was to put the dog in a sit/stay or down/stay amongst a bunch of toys and make sure they stayed put without grabbing the toys. We were to leave the dog amongst the toys without holding the leash and walk away for a few seconds.

At this point, we were very near the Corgi, so I made sure Belle sat facing the opposite direction as him and paid attention to me. She sat easily, although was tempted to grab the bone and a ball, but I told her "leave it" and she stayed with her eyes on me the entire time. I returned to her, praised the heck out of her, and off we went to our final exercise.

The last challenge was for us to put the dog in a sit/stay or down/stay, leave the dog and walk 30 feet away, then call the dog to "come."

Belle had done well on her sit/stays so far, so I set her up and began to walk away. I didn't turn to look at her once as I walked the 30 foot distance away--I didn't want her to think I was inviting her to join me. I reached my destination and turned around...and there Belle sat, intently starting at me the whole time, until I said, "Belle, COME!" and slapped my leg. She promptly jumped up and trotted as fast as she could directly to me without hesitation or question!!! :woohoo:

Everyone who was watching erupted into loud clapping and whoops and hollers!!! This was a dog who on the first night of class was so stressed and anxious that she wouldn't listen to me no matter what. Now here she was doing all of these tasks and doing them well...they were all completly amazed!!

Needless to say, we passed our test with flying colors. ;)
Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

#2 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 06:03 PM

Never a doubt!!! Awesome job guys!!!

Joni
Emmalin Jane, George, Clyde, and Rascal (meow & hiss)
From the Bridge - Cosmo (12/2005), Katie (7/2006), Mr. Munchkin (11/2008), Bella DSA, CGC (1/2009), Skitter DSA (12/2010), Beau (11/2014), and Calvin (6/2017)

"The world of the generous gets larger and larger... The on who blesses other is abundantly blessed; those who help other are helped." Proverbs 11:24-25

"They that sow in tears shall reap in joy" Psalms 126:5

#3 Eric D

Eric D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 06:20 PM

Mandy,

Great post and glad to read about the super ended of the first training.

This is going to be one fun new website!

Eric D ;)

#4 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 08:51 PM

Mandy, that is so Great ;) :) Belle has come along way..
Soon she will be ready to go for her Canine Good Citizen
certificate..... Congrats, you should be so Proud!!! ;)

#5 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 10:12 PM

Thanks everyone!! ;)

I'm not through with Belle's learning even though she's passed her test...I'm re-enrolling her in another basic obedience class in about 7 weeks to get her more additional exposure. Even though she did well during the test, she still has a hard time dealing with the class setting while we're out working amongst other dogs.

In between now and then, we'll continue to work on everything she's learned and will probably carry it over into working in a park soon where she'll have distractions to get used to.

Socialization, socialization, socialization!!! ;) ;)

I'm going to make an agility dog out of this girl yet!! :) ;)
Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

#6 Guest_cookie_*

Guest_cookie_*
  • Guests

Posted 31 March 2005 - 06:44 AM

Way to go, Belle! Posted Image

Awesome job, girl! Posted Image

Posted Image Posted Image

cookie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users