67 replies to this topic

#1 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:27 PM

Last nite Chyna woke us up crying to go outside. She was walking very stiff and hunched over like a "halloween cat" might. We thought she may have pinched her neck the way her sister Ruby seems to do a lot and put her back to bed after she came in. A couple hours later, she was crying again...this time she could not walk or even get up. She was then incontinent of a large amount of soft poop :wub: . By 0800 this morning, Jeff was on his way to the vet with her. Turns out she has severe gastritis, to the point of her intestinal lining being completely stripped and the blood vessels exposed. She has been bleeding from her back side and is so weak she cannot walk. They are giving her IV fluids, antibiotics, and watching her closely. Her X-ray showed an empty bowel, a full tummy from her breakfast yesterday, and no perforations (that's good).
We have searched and searched for whatever could have caused this to happen to her and come up empty handed. The vet said there appeared to be some small pebble-like shapes in her gut and I have to conclude that it's cat litter. Maybe she's done too good of a job keeping her new kitty's box clean :icon12: . I just don't know. We didn't give her anything out of the ordinary either. The vet said that a piece of food could get stuck in the intestines and not move....just rot. Then it could cause the infection to set in and so it goes. She looks just pathetic. Please pray that she gets over this hurdle....she's got to be at least 9 or 10 by now...no spring chicken for a dobe. Pray.
We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare, and the love we can spare. And, in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

#2 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:32 PM

Oh Karen, I'm so sorry to hear this. Prayers are flying for Chyna and the whole family.

It matters to the one you save.

SCD's Out on Bail CGC (December 17, 2008- April 27, 2018)
SCD's Stone Soup
SCD's Sixpence in my shoe
SCD's Hurricane Alley CGC (August 12, 2007- September 11, 2014)
SCD's Easter Buddy CGC (August 12, 2007- July 5, 2012)
Page, Princess Extraordinaire - (July 9, 2000- July 31, 2007)

#3 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:33 PM

We are praying, BIG TIME!
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#4 dobie sunshine

dobie sunshine

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:39 PM

My prayers are with you & Chyna that everything will be okay :wub:

#5 Diana

Diana

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,200 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 02:48 PM

Sending lots of prayers your way for a speedy recovery for Chyna, poor gal, hope she is feeling better soon.
Diana and Nixx
SCD's Wild Child Gamble CGC

#6 Melinda

Melinda

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:13 PM

I just stopped and offered a prayer up for her. Please let us know when she is better, so we can also remember to thank God for hearing us.
"Happiness is best pursued at a full gallop."

#7 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 03:48 PM

Thank you all so much. She will be spending the nite tonite at the vet's office. I have to work all nite, but am going to stop in on my way to work and check on her again. We have to pick her up tomorrow before they close and decide if she is good enough to go home or if she needs to go to an emergency vet where they can monitor her all nite again. Keep praying she feels better because I don't know where this $$ is gonna come from :wub: . I really wish I knew for sure what did this to her so it would not happen again. And why is her Iron Gut sister Ruby not sick?
We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare, and the love we can spare. And, in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

#8 yahoosmom

yahoosmom

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:11 PM

Karen my prayers go out to you and Chyna. Hope all ends up with a good report. Poor girl!!! :wub:

#9 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 04:49 PM

Karen, praying our bestest and loudest here in TX (It has to go so much farther, ya know)!!! I hope she feels better soon.

Joni
Emmalin Jane, George, Clyde, and Rascal (meow & hiss)
From the Bridge - Cosmo (12/2005), Katie (7/2006), Mr. Munchkin (11/2008), Bella DSA, CGC (1/2009), Skitter DSA (12/2010), Beau (11/2014), and Calvin (6/2017)

"The world of the generous gets larger and larger... The on who blesses other is abundantly blessed; those who help other are helped." Proverbs 11:24-25

"They that sow in tears shall reap in joy" Psalms 126:5

#10 Bumpette

Bumpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,632 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 06:05 PM

Prayers for Chyna's recovery. Please keep us updated.
Happiness is a decision.

Susie Q
SCD's Darlin' Darcy - CGC
SCD's Mr. McBump - CGC
SCD's Liddle Diddles - CGC

Forever in our hearts:
SCD's One Cool Dude (7/05-4/10)
Ralph (SCD) (10/99-6/05)
Rex (SCD) (6/93-9/99)
Sheeba (BYB) (11/82-4/93)

#11 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 08:31 PM

I went and visited her on my way to work.....she is sooooo weak its scaring me. The vet said she expected more of a response from the treatment so far. Her gums are pink and her labs look good, but she looks so sunken in her face. The only time she lifted her head was when I went to walk away, like she was saying, "hold up, where do you think you're going?". We're worried about her going septic, which means the infection in her gut could go through her small vessels in her intestine into her entire body. She wouldn't stand a chance. The vet gave her another dose of IV antibiotic and the fluids are going as well as a drug to decrease stomach acid called famotidine, otherwise known as pepcid.
I left her with my stinky sock and a white fleece blanket over her. The vet put a small space heater by her as well. She's as comfortable as she's gonna be for now.
Please keep praying that she makes it through the nite. I just can't take another loss of a precious member of my family just yet.

And yes, I'm here at work with one sock :wub:
-M. Acklam

#12 Bumpette

Bumpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,632 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 09:28 PM

Oh poor Chyna. I hope your smelly sock and warm fleece blanket help her out. At least they will give her some comfort. Prayers are being said for her, and for your family.
Happiness is a decision.

Susie Q
SCD's Mr. McBump - CGC

Forever in our hearts:
Ralph (SCD) (10/99-6/05)
Rex (SCD) (6/93-9/99)

#13 ella

ella

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 30 December 2010 - 11:21 PM

Oh Karen, I am so sorry for what Chyna is going thru. She is in my thoughts and prayers. Hopefully everything will be okay.
Ella - mother of Princess and Bonnie Blue

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
-Josh Billings

#14 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:37 AM

The vet just called and said Chyna barked at her when she opened the doors to the office this morning :LOL: ...that's my guard girl! She urinated A LOT, which means her fluid balance is back on track, and no more blood or poop. When the vet tried to get her out of her cage to clean her up though, Chyna was unable to stand yet. She's just so depleted and weak. She continues to get the antibiotics because infection spreading outside the intestinal tract is a huge concern and she is still getting the pepcid for acid control. Keep praying :wub: ! They are working! The vet made it clear that she is not out of the woods yet, but I am certainly more hopeful that she will come home. THank you all :icon12:
-M. Acklam

#15 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:38 AM

How's she doing this morning, Karen??? Praying all night that she would improve!!!

I did e-mail my sister and she sent back this...

"It is hard to comment without the benefit of seeing Chyna nor seeing the diagnostics. The way Karen is describing her understanding of what's going on it sounds like HGE (=Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis). The initial Hematocrit (% of Red Blood Cells) is high and usually bloody stools. There is no known cause of it so she doesn't have to feel guilty it was something they did or didn't do. Treatment is LOTS of IV fluids and injectable antibiotics and injectable anti-vomiting (which also slows the intestines) and oral stomach protectant. It can take 3+ days of hospitalization so yes expensive. If she is so weak she cannot stand from bleeding out there may be something else going on. If she does not respond they will be looking for more...more expense. Do you know how she is doing now??

Dr. Coreen"

Joni
Emmalin Jane, George, Clyde, and Rascal (meow & hiss)
From the Bridge - Cosmo (12/2005), Katie (7/2006), Mr. Munchkin (11/2008), Bella DSA, CGC (1/2009), Skitter DSA (12/2010), Beau (11/2014), and Calvin (6/2017)

"The world of the generous gets larger and larger... The on who blesses other is abundantly blessed; those who help other are helped." Proverbs 11:24-25

"They that sow in tears shall reap in joy" Psalms 126:5

#16 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:45 AM

Karen -

My prayers are with Chyna . . . and you. So sorry to hear she's in such distress. I hope your vet gets to the bottom of it, and she stabilizes. Crossing all our crossable parts for both of you.

Linda

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ... I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man.
-------------------------
Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Sugar Bear 06/18/2017
Shadow a/k/a Little Snoopy
SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)
Greta Von Reiman (1972-1984)

#17 ohiodobe

ohiodobe

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 604 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:48 AM

Many prayers headed your way! My cousin in N.Carolina had this HGE with her old boy. If that is what it is it can come back. He is fine now on special food. Still has an occasional bout and this started 2 years ago. Whole Dog Journal did a great report on it a few years back. If you want I can try and retrieve it online. Prayers, prayers, and more. Linda
"If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you; that is the principle difference between a dog and a man." ---- Mark Twain

#18 Bumpette

Bumpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,632 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 12:37 PM

I'm glad to hear that Chyna is doing better. Our fingers and paws are crossed, and we're praying that she is now on the mend.
Happiness is a decision.

Susie Q
SCD's Mr. McBump - CGC

Forever in our hearts:
Ralph (SCD) (10/99-6/05)
Rex (SCD) (6/93-9/99)

#19 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 02:26 PM

I'm so glad she is showing improvement. We will keep praying. Keep fighting Chyna girl.

It matters to the one you save.

SCD's Out on Bail CGC (December 17, 2008- April 27, 2018)
SCD's Stone Soup
SCD's Sixpence in my shoe
SCD's Hurricane Alley CGC (August 12, 2007- September 11, 2014)
SCD's Easter Buddy CGC (August 12, 2007- July 5, 2012)
Page, Princess Extraordinaire - (July 9, 2000- July 31, 2007)

#20 Diana

Diana

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,200 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 03:09 PM

Good to hear Chyna is showing some good improvement, still sending prayers her way for a speedy recovery.
Diana and Nixx
SCD's Wild Child Gamble CGC

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users