#1 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 06:50 AM

Hi!

We currently take Sentinel because that's what our vet likes. I found adult fleas on Wes, but none on Tux. I understand that Sentinel will stop fleas from reproducing, but won't control adult fleas. I have hardwoods/tile throughout the house, so there's nowhere for them to live. (I believe they live in carpets??)

What is my best plan of action to deal with the fleas? :D I've found one or two on Wes for the past couple weeks - and last night I noticed several. :D

Anyone have anything that really works? Any ideas?

Thanks so much!
Stef
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

SCD's Shooting Star "Stella" - We will work on titles. :)
Vixenvale Kingston's Warren - Kingston (2006-2017)
SCD's Black Tie Affair "Tux" - PCD, CGN, CGC (2004-2015)
Can CH Jimary Jack's Are High "Jack" (Pug) - PCD

#2 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 07:16 AM

Hi, We have been using Bio-spot, has worked
well for us, can get at most pet food/supply stores
or can be ordered from pet supply catalogs.
Daisy :D

#3 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 08:31 AM

Stef,
I have always used Frontline, the stuff you put on the back of the dog's neck....until Chyna came along and I tried it on her. Her hair fell out to the point I could see her skin on her chest and sides :D Now I just sprinkle garlic on their food and I swear I haven't seen a flea in over 2 1/2 yrs. It works for us :D
Karen
We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare, and the love we can spare. And, in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

#4 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 08:53 AM

The BEST luck I've had, is with ADVANTAGE. Drops down the spine, once a month. BJ NEVER had fleas, until the summer before last, and it was HORRIBLE. I tried everything. Then, I tried the advantage. I'm telling ya, within 3 days, I could tell they were dying off, and within a week or so, nothing. And since the fleas couldn't latch onto the dog or cats to reproduce, the house was clean from them, too. It works amazing, and I'm going on Friday, actually, to get some for Brody and the cats.
JMHO

#5 mihalik1413

mihalik1413

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:48 AM

Bio-spot works great, the vet told me that you don't need to put it all the way down their back just make sure it is on their skin (its a bit hard when dogs have really thick hair). Then to get rid of them on your dog, the vet told me not to waste my time with flea shampoos. They recommended shampooing with Pert Plus (they swore it killed the fleas and has worked well for us) and sometimes we use Pantene. Every spring my wife get all crazy when they get a little ichy and starts vacuuming and spraying the house like she is on a mission (she had a flea incident when she was young and assures me we don't ever want to go through it). She cuts up a flea collar and puts it in the vacuum canister to kill any fleas or eggs that may get sucked up. Then after everything is clean she sprays everything in site down (She isn't home atm but I will get the name of the product she uses). We have done well with our cats and dogs using this method. I'm not a big frontline fan as I have heard that is isn't good for fish if the dogs swim in lakes plus I'm pretty sure that Bio spot has better coverage on an array of different things where the frontline doesn't.
The vet did warn me about using Bio spot on cats so if anyone has cats and is using it they may want to start using another product.
Good luck with Wes and Tux (If one has it, it is only a matter of time till the other gets it).

Larry

Edited by mihalik1413, 15 June 2005 - 09:52 AM.

#6 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 09:59 AM

With the advantage, you don't have to worry about giving the baths...as soon as they bite the animal, the flea becomes immediately infertile, and will die shortly after, and just drop. Vacuuming the home becomes a necessity, though, although the fleas are incapable of laying eggs. I would talk to your vet, as well, like most of us have suggested, to see what they recommend.
They also have advantage now, that is called "Advantage Plus" which is a flea remedy, AND a heartworm preventative in one. Considering that Brody is still on the ivermectin, though, he won't be getting that one.

#7 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 10:01 AM

Sorry, I KNOW I sound like a spokesman for Advantage, it's just that I went through SO many flea treatment programs when BJ got them BAD a few years ago, and the advantage was the easiest, best method, and did the job for getting them off of pets and out of home, as long as EACH animal in the house is treated with it. No crazy vacuuming, no bathing, no nothing. The fleas just disappear and die. It's very stress-free.
Larry, I'm like your wife...I HATE fleas with a passion...As soon as I THINK, not even CONFIRM that there are any, I go nuts...then I found advantage! :D

#8 mihalik1413

mihalik1413

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 10:05 AM

With the advantage, you don't have to worry about giving the baths...as soon as they bite the animal, the flea becomes immediately infertile, and will die shortly after, and just drop.  Vacuuming the home becomes a necessity, though, although the fleas are incapable of laying eggs.  I would talk to your vet, as well, like most of us have suggested, to see what they recommend. 
They also have advantage now, that is called "Advantage Plus" which is a flea remedy, AND a heartworm preventative in one.  Considering that Brody is still on the ivermectin, though, he won't be getting that one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jenny,
The initial bath is to kill whats on them so they don't decide to start living elsewhere like all over your home. Most of the products work the same in respect to after the application, it sounds like Advantage and Bio spot are very similiar but I think the Bio Spot works longer then a month. (I will read up on Advantage :D :) ) The truth of the matter is any avenue you take probably will work but you have to act quickly as you don't want your house full of them (we have hardwood floors as well but they are not limited to just living in carpets). Again good luck! :D

Larry

#9 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 10:27 AM

Larry, we have hardwood, too, which I'm LOVING now, with the animals! The first time Bj went on the Advantage, I had asked my vet, "Now, what do I use in my home to get rid of them?" She told me, "Nothing at all. The fleas will die, they won't be able to lay eggs, because they need the blood from your animals to do that, and considering that as SOON as they bite the animal, they are immediately infertile, and are incapable of laying eggs. The fleas will start dying off, and within 2 weeks, all of them will be gone. They can't lay eggs with fertilization, and they HAVE to have either dog/cat to do that, they aren't able to fertilize off of humans." It was amazing, how quickly it worked. I usually do it on the first of the month, starting either June/July. I find the fleas are JUST as bad at the end of sept/october, though. It DOES sound like the bio is very similiar, though! :D

Larry, it was funny reading about your wife, though, because I went crazy JUST like that the first time BJ got fleas, before I used the advantage. I swear, I was losing my mind...I don't know about any of you, but the image of "fleas" in a home stirs a vision of just a dirty, unkept house, just gross...I think it's because of when I was younger, and going to somebody's house who had TONS of fleas, enough that you could actually see them jumping up in the carpet. Just disgusting. :D
Ciao, ladies & gents!

#10 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 10:38 AM

Thanks everyone! I called the vet as well. They also say Advantage, so I'll dose both of them after work today. *sigh* I'll look into that combination next year - I've already bought the Sentinel for the year for both of them. :D

We looked at an apartment where you could see them jumping in the carpet. It was REVOLTING!

Thanks again so much!

Stef
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

#11 mihalik1413

mihalik1413

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 11:21 AM

Hello Jenny and Stef! Ok, this is the flea monitor of the Mihalik household. :) We use Bio Spot for the dogs because we take a lot of trips Up North. In comparison to the Rx flea preventatives available, I found it works the best and is the cheapest by far! The Bio Spot repels and kills ticks, as well as, Mosquito's which the others (including Advantage sorry Jenny) do not. This is important to us because of all the time we spend by the lake and in the woods while we are away. Also, it helps prevent our cats from getting the pests as well. :) The other preventative methods I use Larry has already told you about....vacuuming with a part of the flea collar in the bag/canister, shampooing and combing them regularly, spraying the house with Adams flea spray, and keeping up with the flea applications. I am COMPLETELY ANAL about fleas because I don't ever want to have them. :D :D I hope everything works out for you Stef. If you have any other questions, just ask!

#12 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 12:39 PM

I have only used Sentinel for flea control and I use it year round. Thank goodness I have never had a problem with fleas. I am a clean freak and that would drive me coo coo. :D
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#13 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 15 June 2005 - 01:13 PM

*LMAO*
Ok, Ok, Shannon....you are a funny lady!!! HAHAHAHA
I used to go up north all the time, but not enough lately, but when I do...I wipe down my dog with a fabric softener sheet. It's a natural mosquito repeller, for those that don't know.
BUT...if I ever move back up there, I WILL take your advice about Bio-Spot....
HAHAHAHA... :D
Still laughing and smiling at your post... :D

#14 KellyB

KellyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 30 December 2005 - 09:56 PM

Hey All
While looking for another post I came across this one. I use Frontline Plus on Dakota and Myles haven't had a problem. For those looking for something for fleas, ticks and mosquitos we sell K-9 Advantix here's a link

http://www.k9advantix.com/

Kelly
Dakota and Myles's Mom

#15 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 07:18 PM

I LOVE the ad with the little retriever puppy that sings about camp and how K9 Advantix solved his itchy-bity problems. Makes me want to buy the product. Now - that's advertising!! :hug:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users