36 replies to this topic

#1 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 12:55 PM

Just made the hardest, but best decision for my sweet boy. Eight months ago he was diagnosed with cancer. The tumor on the left side of his face came up suddenly and continued to grow into a mass that emcompassed the inside of his mouth and throat. The growth resulted in a gross deformation of his face and a loss of vision in his left eye.

Last July I took on a new job working 12+ hours a day. Thank God for my mom who helped care for my dogs while I was determined to make my new career work. Throughout his last months, Valentino received so much love and I didn't have to worry about him being alone - ever.

For the last several weeks, his diet consisted of rice, peas, carrots, mashed potatoes, ground turkey, canned dog food, peanut butter sandwiches, yogurt, fig newtons, cheez its, hot dogs, McDonald cheeseburgers and fries. I'd say he ate pretty well!

This morning he enjoyed yogurt and half a can of dog food for breakfast. After a nice meal, I massaged him and talked to him. He enjoyed the warmth of the sun one last time on the driveway and he hopped right into my Jeep when it was time to go.

I can't remember exactly when it was that he stopped giving kisses or the last time he spoke to me. Today he showed me how happy he was for the full and rich life I had given him by the vigorous wagging of his tail. He was able to visit with the entire staff at Southpointe Veterinary, which thrilled him, as all the staff are ladies and we all know how much of a ladies man Valentino was.

When it was time, I held him in my arms and told him what a special boy he was, not only to me, but to everyone he had the opportunity of coming in contact with. For those of you who don't know, Valentino was a cruelty case. But this never did stop him from wanting to serve mankind. For 5 years he served mankind as the best therapy dog ever! I am not just saying this because he was my dog. He truly was the best therapy dog ever. I wish I could have taken a video of how he use to work the room and go around to all the patients unfortunate to have mental illness. Many of these patients had not spoken or smiled in who knows how long, but Valentino had a special way of bringing it out in them.

Cocoa was there when we said our good byes. If I didn't bring her, I knew exactly what would have happened when I came home. She would have bolted out of the side door and went straight to behind the garage to find her buddy. He was such a good boy. He always waited to come home from the vet so he could take a poop. Cocoabutt would do just the opposite and crap in the lobby!

So many memories, so many pictures, so many special moments............I miss my boy so much but I am confident that I made the right decision today. I never wanted to see my boy get to the point where he didn't enjoy his favorite things - love, massages, food, the warmth of the sun and sloppy drinks of water.

I love you Valentino........
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#2 Annie Moon

Annie Moon

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 02:27 PM

Oh God... I'm so sorry.
Heartbreaking.... I know it took a lot of courage but you did the right thing for him. A Ladies Man should never suffer.
RIP Sweet Val.
In Memory of Mariah He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.  ~Unknown~

#3 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:06 PM

I am bawling. I'm so sorry Cheryl. So very, very sorry. He was an amazing boy. A special, one of a kind boy. What a great loss to so many. You did the right thing. No one could have loved him more than you did. Run free Valentino....

It matters to the one you save.

SCD's Out on Bail CGC (December 17, 2008- April 27, 2018)
SCD's Stone Soup
SCD's Sixpence in my shoe
SCD's Hurricane Alley CGC (August 12, 2007- September 11, 2014)
SCD's Easter Buddy CGC (August 12, 2007- July 5, 2012)
Page, Princess Extraordinaire - (July 9, 2000- July 31, 2007)

#4 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:13 PM

And I will adopt another very special dog one day......just not now....I need to focus on my career and Cocoa.
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#5 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:17 PM

Be still my heart. I just want to scream. He was such a great dog. I can not stop crying over this loss. I am so sorry CAB. So terribly sorry.

The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog. He knew and lived the word "Gentle".
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#6 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:36 PM

I cannot stop crying either...I want my Valentino back. Such a sweet, sweet boy.....there can never be another.

-Arda Barber

#7 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:44 PM

Cheryl -

My heart breaks for you. Val was such a special, special guy. You gave him a wonderful life . . . full of love. He gave back so much, in so many ways, and brought joy to all who knew him. I'm so sorry. Words cannot begin ease the pain you're feeling right now. He's at the Bridge, running free. Run, sweet Val, run . . .

Linda

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ... I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man.
-------------------------
Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Sugar Bear 06/18/2017
Shadow a/k/a Little Snoopy
SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)
Greta Von Reiman (1972-1984)

#8 Pam

Pam

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:12 PM

Cheryl, I'm devastated for you. What a hard decision that must have been but such a compassionate one. I'm so glad his last day was a good one. You're in my thoughts. :Rose:

#9 Nancy Robinson

Nancy Robinson

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 05:57 PM

OH GOOD LORD IN HEAVEN..............

Cheryl, I am shaking, the feelings I have, I cannot put
into words, I am sorry but that just doesn't do it.

Saying "Goodbye" to our faithful family member and
friend is one of the deepest hurts we can and will
ever go thru in our life time.

You were each others world. What a boy he was, because
of your LOVE is what made Val.

YOU WILL "CARRY HIS HEART IN YOUR HEART" FOREVER

Cheryl, I am so sorry
Nancy

"Until one has LOVED AN ANIMAL, part of
their SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"

"
Yesterday is "HISTORY", Today is a "GIFT" and Tomorrow is a "MYSTERY"

"Always always try to be the" BEST YOU CAN BE"

Do not walk in front of me - I may not follow.
Do not walk behind me - I may not lead.
But walk beside me - and be my friend.

May you always have Love to Share
Health to Spare
and Friends who Care

Forever locked in my Heart

"I CARRY YOUR HEARTS IN MY HEART"........FOREVER

My "WHITE ANGEL".....Sweet sweet Schaudeh
4/17/1999...............5/14/2013
My "Bounty Hunter"
11/6/2000.......8/3/2009
My "Miks Von Rom Mateese"
7/6/1990..........4/4/1999

"I LOVED you yesterday, I LOVE you today, and I will LOVE you tomorrow'"
for you have never really left me

#10 Diana

Diana

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,200 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:05 PM

Cheryl, I am so saddened to read this news of Sweet Val, he was the best therapy dog, he loved doing his job. I am so glad I met him at one of the SCD's reunion's, he was the gentleman in person , just like the stories and photo's you shared. He will be missed by many. :Rose:Posted Image :icon12:
Diana and Nixx
SCD's Wild Child Gamble CGC

#11 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 06:13 PM

Oh, Cheryl, I am so sorry. I've never met you and never met Val, but from the time I joined this board, I have read so many wonderful tales about Val that I almost felt I knew him. What a true ambassador for not only the breed but for dogs, in general. As has been mentioned, to come through such a horrible situation, and to go on to give the gift of love as only a skilled therapy dog can do......priceless.

I understand how badly your heart is breaking right now, and how empty your house must feel. It's so very sad, but you did the only thing you could. You set his beautiful spirit free......

Currently part of my treasured family and helping to make life fun and busy:

Hunter, the chocolate Labradeagle (or Beaglador)

Terra, the tall, gorgeous red Doberwoman

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

#12 Nancy Robinson

Nancy Robinson

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 07:22 PM

"FOOTPRINTS IN THE SAND"

One night I dreamed a dream.
As I was walking along the beach with my Lord.
Across the dark sky flashed scenes from my life.
For each scene, I noticed two sets of footprints in the sand,
One belonging to me and one to my Lord.

After the last scene of my life flashed before me,
I looked back at the footprints in the sand.
I noticed that at many times along the path of my life,
especially at the very lowest and saddest times,
there was only one set of footprints.

This really troubled me, so I asked the Lord about it.
"Lord, you said once I decided to follow you,
You'd walk with me all the way.
But I noticed that during the saddest and most troublesome times of my life,
there was only one set of footprints.
I don't understand why, when I needed You the most, You would leave me."

He whispered, "My precious child, I love you and will never leave you
Never, ever, during your trials and testings.
When you saw only one set of footprints,
It was then that I carried you."
Nancy

"Until one has LOVED AN ANIMAL, part of
their SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"

"
Yesterday is "HISTORY", Today is a "GIFT" and Tomorrow is a "MYSTERY"

"Always always try to be the" BEST YOU CAN BE"

Do not walk in front of me - I may not follow.
Do not walk behind me - I may not lead.
But walk beside me - and be my friend.

May you always have Love to Share
Health to Spare
and Friends who Care

Forever locked in my Heart

"I CARRY YOUR HEARTS IN MY HEART"........FOREVER

My "WHITE ANGEL".....Sweet sweet Schaudeh
4/17/1999...............5/14/2013
My "Bounty Hunter"
11/6/2000.......8/3/2009
My "Miks Von Rom Mateese"
7/6/1990..........4/4/1999

"I LOVED you yesterday, I LOVE you today, and I will LOVE you tomorrow'"
for you have never really left me

#13 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 08:24 PM

Dearest Cheryl,
I cried all afternoon about ValPosted Image . Not sure why, but I know I feel really bad for you and the rest of his loving family. For him, he had a best life a dog could ever wish for. You gave him everything, especially the chance to show the world that dobermans aren't all bad. He never held a grudge and gave so much back to the society that treated him so cruel. I'm glad you were the one to love him. Through his job, he blessed so many. He'll now bless you with many happy memories forever, until you meet again.
We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare, and the love we can spare. And, in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

#14 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:24 AM

So glad I made the decision to take Cocoa. I know she misses him, but at least she is not looking for him. She is eating too. It's probably helping that she is getting all the extras that I cooked up for Val!

-Arda Barber

#15 Dobes & Feathers

Dobes & Feathers

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 898 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:47 AM

Our condolences CAB on the loss of your sweet gentel Gentelman Val :Rose: :wub: .

Dreams become reality one choice at a time.

S.C.D.'s Rhue ( Little Red Rhuebarb) 2008 or 2009 to March 2021
Forever your paw print in our heart's
S.C.D.'s Darling Darla Blue(LaLa for short)
Our Velcro Love Bug ( approx D.O.B Jan,2004 to June,2011)
& one of the many Queens prior
Autumn ( Black Lab)
Sept 1996 to Feb 2010

#16 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:53 AM

Pics from the last several months.

Val always had the best places to sleep......

Attached File  DSC08210.jpg   55.28KB   1 downloads

Attached File  DSC08628.jpg   51.03KB   1 downloads

Attached File  DSC08562.jpg   57.05KB   1 downloads

-Arda Barber

#17 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:10 AM

He enjoyed his 6th Christmas and even dressed up as Santa Paws......

Attached File  DSC08088.jpg   99.03KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC08092.jpg   58.97KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC08113.jpg   67.02KB   0 downloads

-Arda Barber

#18 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:15 AM

Laying in the sun was something he always enjoyed......

Attached File  DSC08610.jpg   103.69KB   1 downloads

-Arda Barber

#19 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:26 AM

He enjoyed the special meals that were cooked for him, a new bone every week and looking out the window.

Attached File  DSC08642.jpg   65.74KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC08637.jpg   57.31KB   0 downloads

Attached File  DSC08621.jpg   55.29KB   3 downloads

-Arda Barber

#20 yahoosmom

yahoosmom

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 09:37 AM

Oh Cab,
My heart goes out to you. I'm crying my eyes out as I read your story, and see the great pictures.
You gave Val the best of the best in his life, he loved you so much and eveyone he meet. A true
friend of everyone.
I remember at the reunion how he would sit in your car and make sure everyone knew that no one else would get in your car without you
there.We all laughed how he would bark at you as we walked pass your car.
That was the best thing you could of done for Cocoa, to let her be there. I was told you should let your other dogs see and smell their
furfriends before they go to the Bridge. That way they know what happened and don't greave as bad, and wonder where they are.
I am truly sorry for your loss, Just know you did the right thng to not let Val suffer and to go in peace.You even gave him his day of sunshine,
and we sure did have a beautiful sunny day just for Val.
Run Free Sweet Val.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users