#1 KellyB

KellyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 01:09 PM

Hey All

Myles has become something else lately. We cant keep him out of anything eatible. I cut back on his food because he looks like he's getting saggy in the gut. He's on Purina ProPlan Large breed Puppy. I'm in my extra room where my computer is (basement) and he just brought down the opened can of soup (empty) that was in the sink. I'm wondering if the puppy food is enough for him or if I should switch him to adult food. By my calculations he will be a year in Nov. or Dec. Its not just between meals he will do this right after he is done eating. Any advice would be great.

Kelly

P.S. When I saw this I told him to drop it which he did and then told to leave it and put in a down stay he's like a food away from the can.
Dakota and Myles's Mom

#2 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 01:47 PM

Have you had him checked for worms lately???

Green beans are supposed to be filling but not a lot of nutritional value (bad news for us)... the greyhound group uses them alot for get this, overweight greyhounds... now there's a picture, huh???

You could also try oatmeal... Bella was scarfing everything in sight for a while so I would make a 1 cup portion of the cook-on-the-stove oatmeal, let it cool, and add it to her food... or feed a couple of hours after... low-fat, high-fiber and she loved it...

Oh, and sit ups!!! Aren't they supposed to be good for a saggy belly? Get hime to so some sit ups... Your hubby can show him how!!! HAHAHAHAHA!!! Sorry, just in that silly frame of mind today...

Edited by jmnodwell, 29 September 2005 - 01:49 PM.

Joni
Emmalin Jane, George, Clyde, and Rascal (meow & hiss)
From the Bridge - Cosmo (12/2005), Katie (7/2006), Mr. Munchkin (11/2008), Bella DSA, CGC (1/2009), Skitter DSA (12/2010), Beau (11/2014), and Calvin (6/2017)

"The world of the generous gets larger and larger... The on who blesses other is abundantly blessed; those who help other are helped." Proverbs 11:24-25

"They that sow in tears shall reap in joy" Psalms 126:5

#3 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 01:58 PM

Kelly, I'd try putting him on adult food. I got Kizzy when she was only 5 months, and she went immediately to Diamond Lamb & Rice, Adult formula. Give it a try, might work for him.

#4 Vicki_Wood

Vicki_Wood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 04:01 PM

I agree with JennyMay by putting him on adult food; Gracie (and she was 4) when I first got her for at least six months stole more food off the counter than I like to think about (whole loaves of bread, etc.) I have her on that Dick VanPatten all natural dog food and ever since I've done that, she does not seem to crave food like she did. I think in a lot of these dog foods there are a lot of fillers and their nutritional needs are not being met. Just an idea! Experimentation seems to work sometimes.

#5 KellyB

KellyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 04:03 PM

NO I haven't had him checked for worms. I guess I will have to take a sample in when I go to work friday and have them run it. I might have hubby bring him up saturday when I work to get a weight on him. Just to check his weight from when he was in for his shots. Thanks for the advice.

Kelly
Dakota and Myles's Mom

#6 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 04:27 PM

When we got Wes, the vet asked me what I was feeding. I told him Performatrin Puppy. He told me to get him off the puppy food as soon as the bag was done. So when I got Tux - he went right onto adult food.

Mine also get brown rice and steamed carrots/broccoli stems/beans as well as their regular chow. (Not every day, but a couple times a week.)

Edited by Stef, 29 September 2005 - 04:29 PM.

"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

SCD's Shooting Star "Stella" - We will work on titles. :)
Vixenvale Kingston's Warren - Kingston (2006-2017)
SCD's Black Tie Affair "Tux" - PCD, CGN, CGC (2004-2015)
Can CH Jimary Jack's Are High "Jack" (Pug) - PCD

#7 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 29 September 2005 - 10:35 PM

When I adopted Cocoa (she was 9 months), Arda told me to go ahead and feed her adult food. She recommended Diamond and since I had already bought Science Diet, Puppy Growth Large Breed, I just mixed the two together until the puppy formula was all gone. Now, I feed her the Dick Van Patten Natural Balance Salmon and Sweet Potato. The food satisfies her very well and I haven't been giving her anything extra at this time. I'm not even sure how much she eats daily. I keep food in her bowl at all times. She only eats when she is hungry.
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#8 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 07:34 AM

Mine also get brown rice and steamed carrots/broccoli stems/beans as well as their regular chow.  (Not every day, but a couple times a week.)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Holy Geez, don't let Kizzy and Brody know that Wes and Tux get that....they'll get a grudge on towards me for not spoiling them like that....:D
HAHAHAHA
Hey, table scraps every ONCE in awhile is permitted though....like, once a week... :D

#9 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 30 September 2005 - 07:43 AM

Holy Geez, don't let Kizzy and Brody know that Wes and Tux get that....they'll get a grudge on towards me for not spoiling them like that....:D 
HAHAHAHA
Hey, table scraps every ONCE in awhile is permitted though....like, once a week... :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah - it's just the leftovers ... The stems that no one eats on broccoli - I just chop it up and steam it. Carrots are cheap and I made the mistake of buying "French Cut" green beans - ewwwwww!! I always have rice in the fridge, it's easy and quick for those nights when I don't get to sit down... Plus with Tux's sensitive stomach and compulsive eating of anything on the sidewalk ... rice is always necessary. :D
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

SCD's Shooting Star "Stella" - We will work on titles. :)
Vixenvale Kingston's Warren - Kingston (2006-2017)
SCD's Black Tie Affair "Tux" - PCD, CGN, CGC (2004-2015)
Can CH Jimary Jack's Are High "Jack" (Pug) - PCD

#10 KellyB

KellyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 01 October 2005 - 08:27 PM

Well I took in the sample I was leaning towards worms. His stool started out firm and then went soft. They ran it and it came up negative, I talked to our office Manager who has been working their for 30 years. She said it sounds like I cut his food back to much and I needed to put him on the adult food. Now today I got to talk to one of the doc's durring our lunch break and he told me to bring Myles in and he'll give him a quick look over for weight. He said that he's seen them all heights and sizes. So Myles will get the pleasure of going to work with me one day.

Kelly
Dakota and Myles's Mom

#11 KellyB

KellyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 08:23 PM

Well Kori brought Myles in tonight while I worked. He now ways 69lbs he's gained 5lbs since Labor Day. The vet says he looks really good has great muscle definition. We discussed his eat, drinking and the fact that he's always looking for more food even after he's ate his food. He's on ProPlan puppy going into adult food. He wants me to bring in a urine sample because Myles drinks so much at one time, just to rule out Diabetes.

Kelly
Dakota and Myles's Mom

#12 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 04 October 2005 - 09:55 PM

He wants me to bring in a urine sample because Myles drinks so much at one time, just to rule out Diabetes.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Keep us posted Kelly.
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#13 KellyB

KellyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 03:32 AM

I will, he said you don't usually see it in dogs Myles age but he has and just wants to rule it out.

Kelly
Dakota and Myles's Mom

#14 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 10:36 AM

"He wants me to bring in a urine sample because Myles drinks so much at one time, just to rule out Diabetes."

I just cringe at the thought of collecting urine samples after my experience with Chyna :D I spent 2 days, yes, 2 days chasing her around my yard with a pie pan taped to a stick to collect it. She would not go when she was attached to a leash because she is used to being free and I think I made her nervous. If I had a nickle for everytime I explained myself and my contraption to a neighbor or passerby, Arda would have her new kennels by now. I'm sure you have some secret to make it easier working in the vet's office...at least I hope :D

Karen
We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare, and the love we can spare. And, in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

#15 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 10:55 AM

Oh my GAWD, Karen, I almost spit out my mouthful of coffee when I read your post!!!!!!!!!
I was just visualizing it, and realized that if I saw my neighbour doing that?!?!?!
I'd probably pee myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

#16 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 11:01 AM

Oh my GAWD, Karen, I almost spit out my mouthful of coffee when I read your post!!!!!!!!!
I was just visualizing it, and realized that if I saw my neighbour doing that?!?!?!
I'd probably pee myself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey hey....almost as bad as you garbage picking! LOL! I still laugh everytime I think of your post. That was classic. Geez...the things we do for these dogs :D
We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare, and the love we can spare. And, in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

#17 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 11:30 AM

No kidding eh?
OH WAIT!
This morning Kizzy got out, and yet AGAIN, here I am in my pj's, trying to catch her. She takes something out of my neighbours garbage(You betcha, the SAME one) and I had to actually PICK this thing up and bribe her with it to get in the house....if only my neighbours could've seen THAT one... *groan* :D

#18 Vicki_Wood

Vicki_Wood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 03:55 PM

In the morning when I walk Gracie it's still dark; my outfits are usually pj bottoms and sweatshirt and hair all over the place. Last week Ms. sneak saw a cat and pulled the leash out of my hand after the cat into the neighbors (one street over) prize flower bed; I'm sneaking around in a whispered yell trying to get her back without the neighbors knowing what damage or what elephant was in their flowers or seeing me and scaring them to death. She definitely was not high on my list!

#19 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 04:39 PM

:D too funny you guys!

Reminds me of Arda running down the road in her high top, black, muck boots ... in a mickey mouse t-shirt & her underware. I think she said she was yelling
"Beefcake where are you" :D :D

Geez, the things we do for dogs..

I sure hope Kelly has an easier time collecting Myes sample. :D

Cathy
<span style='color:green'>"<span style='font-family:Optima'>The dog has seldom been succesful in pulling man up to its level of sagacity, but man has frequently dragged the dog down to his" </span>James Thurber</span>

#20 KellyB

KellyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 05 October 2005 - 08:10 PM

It was really very easy. Hubby and I went out first thing this morning with him. Kori held the leash while I had gloves on and when he starts to go there is really NO stopping him. I just stuck a little plastic bowl and filled a little. I have heard of clients doing the stick with bowl or cup taped on it.

Kelly
Dakota and Myles's Mom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users