• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 griessek

griessek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 03:53 PM

I am new to this so please help me along. I have a 2 year old female that has been with me for 1 year. She has her CGC, but I the other hand am not a trained human. So I signed up for a class at a place in Troy, Woofology Trainers Academy that seems very expensive (259.00). Did I make a costly mistake. Has anyone ever trained there before? Help! :P

#2 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 04:24 PM

I am new to this so please help me along. I have a 2 year old female that has been with me for 1 year. She has her CGC, but I the other hand am not a trained human. So I signed up for a class at a place in Troy, Woofology Trainers Academy that seems very expensive (259.00). Did I make a costly mistake. Has anyone ever trained there before? Help! :P

How long of a course is it? Where I live (Traverse City area), a six week obedience course is around $75. $259 sounds a bit steep! :smiling:
Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

#3 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 04:40 PM

Man, I'm so old that $75 sounds steep. But I guess it was 30 years ago or a dap more, when I was training. I wish I could help but, I don't know them.
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#4 griessek

griessek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 04:44 PM

How long of a course is it? Where I live (Traverse City area), a six week obedience course is around $75. $259 sounds a bit steep! :P

It is for 90 minutes,one day a week for 6 weeks.

#5 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 04:49 PM

90 minutes is awful long for a training session. And it feels that $259 is a lot of money. Did the trainer tell you what titles they have on their dogs? Is this a professional handler?

#6 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:00 PM

Yes, 90 minutes is a looooong time for a training session when it comes to working your dog and maintaining its attention...and $259 sounds like a LOT of money! My youngest Dobe is lucky to make 45 minutes before she gets totally bored with the session (the training sessions at our facility last for 60 minutes). Be sure you bring toys to play with if it's for that long just to keep the dog's interest and attitude positive.
Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

#7 griessek

griessek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:25 PM

Devene Godau, CPDT has earned the title of Certified Pet Dog Trainer (CPDT), through the Certification Council of Pet Dog Trainers. In addition, she has earned certification of Instructor and Behavioral Counselor through the Trainers Academy Behavioral Sciences Program. She is a Professional Member of the Association of Professional Dog Trainers.

This is all I know I have talked to the people there and they seem very nice and I was hoping to get a small class with personal attention. I knew I would screw this up and end up paying through the nose!

#8 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 05:46 PM

If the classes have not started, you can probably get your money refunded. Most places will let you observe a session, without your pet, if you ask.
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#9 shromada

shromada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 06:40 PM

I took Max to Top Dog K-9 in Shelby Township. It was not quite that much. Rick is a certified trainer and trains many law enforcement pooches. He says the classes are 6-8 weeks but goes as long as everyone needs to learn the necessary skills. Class is about 45-60 minutes and he will take only a maximum of 8 dogs. We started off with 6 and ended up with 3 for various reasons. He will work with you separately when needed. He guarantees for one year and you can call him anytime or go see him anytime you need assistance after class is done.

#10 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 07:30 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum. I think you'll find a lot of useful and interesting information here. Sorry to say, but $259 for six classes sounds veeeery expensive to me. Between my husband and myself, and two young dogs, we've taken several classes this year, at a couple of well-known and respected dog training clubs in Washtenaw County, and they have ranged in price from $75 to $120 for a six or seven-week course. Don't beat yourself up, though! I know it's not always easy to find classes in your area, at a convenient time. Just the fact that you want to take a class says you are a caring and concerned dog-owner, and that's a good thing! If you're having any specific behavioral problems, this is a good place to ask for advice, since there a lot of experienced Dobe owners here.

Currently part of my treasured family and helping to make life fun and busy:

Hunter, the chocolate Labradeagle (or Beaglador)

Terra, the tall, gorgeous red Doberwoman

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

#11 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 08:29 PM

Yes, please don't throw the puppy out with the bath water. You are making the right choices by getting the training for both you and the dog. No matter who the trainer is, you will learn from all of them. The more you learn, the better you will understand your pet. Keep pushing for knowledge and for the sake of the dog....ASK QUESTIONS. Someone on this list has been through it before and they are all willing to help. Thumps UP!

#12 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:02 PM

Our classes were $80 for 8wks, but I would gladly have paid double that. The help we got from training was so invaluable. If you get the wanted results from the class it is money well spent, even if it is a bit pricey.

Edited by doberpagegirl, 14 August 2008 - 09:02 PM.

It matters to the one you save.

SCD's Out on Bail CGC (December 17, 2008- April 27, 2018)
SCD's Stone Soup
SCD's Sixpence in my shoe
SCD's Hurricane Alley CGC (August 12, 2007- September 11, 2014)
SCD's Easter Buddy CGC (August 12, 2007- July 5, 2012)
Page, Princess Extraordinaire - (July 9, 2000- July 31, 2007)

#13 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 09:35 PM

Where are you located? That sounds like alot for 6 weeks
of classes. There are many training places around..
In warren - Sportmans dog training
1-888-637-9595 www.sportsmens.net
Warren- Canine Community center
586 758-0440 www.caninecommunitycenter.com
Mt. Clemens - Canine 9 workshop
16/grosbeck dont know number
There are lots more... But these 3 are very well known
long time training places & I dont think they are as expensive
as that..
Good luck

Daisy

#14 Jan

Jan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 14 August 2008 - 10:09 PM

We're in Royal Oak and using SMOTC. Their website is SMOTC.org. They meet in various locations (we go to Berkley). Trainers are all volunteers of long time experience. We pay $60 for 8 weeks. Each class is 1 hour and both Marten and I were exhausted at the end. There's alot to learn. The class size was a little too crowded for the size of the gym we used. But other than that I was very happy. Marten passed beginners and completed 6 weeks of Advanced before I left for vacation. Heidi will be going when classes start in Sept. And boy does she need it! I could teach her what she needs to know, but she's really in need of socialization with other dogs.
Marten & Heidi's Mom

#15 griessek

griessek

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 08:00 AM

We're in Royal Oak and using SMOTC. Their website is SMOTC.org. They meet in various locations (we go to Berkley). Trainers are all volunteers of long time experience. We pay $60 for 8 weeks. Each class is 1 hour and both Marten and I were exhausted at the end. There's alot to learn. The class size was a little too crowded for the size of the gym we used. But other than that I was very happy. Marten passed beginners and completed 6 weeks of Advanced before I left for vacation. Heidi will be going when classes start in Sept. And boy does she need it! I could teach her what she needs to know, but she's really in need of socialization with other dogs.
Marten & Heidi's Mom

I am in Clinton Township, and a teacher in Warren (10 mile & Ryan area). That is were I wanted to go but I can't find a schedule and then I found they don't start until aftrer September. My girl is getting unrulely, she snaped at a neighbor kid and my seven year old. She has never been upset with my son, they lay one the floor, he is always all over her. So I was in need of help now. I do plan on going there for the next training I do with her. My family is in love with her and it would kill us to have ot give her up. She no matter what I will continue to try to work with her.

#16 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 12:46 PM

OK Dober Pros, Is there someone who runs these classes in Jackson MI. I am trying on my own and I lack knowledge. Mickey is my first Doberman and I kinda need a little help.

#17 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:19 PM

Jackson Community College used to offer classes. Been some time but you might want to check with them.

#18 Fred

Fred

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 15 August 2008 - 01:54 PM

Jackson Community College used to offer classes. Been some time but you might want to check with them.

Thanks Arda I will contact them and see what they have to offer.

#19 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 08:32 AM

There are also lots of training threads here on the forum, most with easy to follow instructions... Any of these will also help you get started... Although I've never attend classes there, I know Petsmart has classes as well...

and I have a friend that does in-home sessions... Maggie at Serendiipity Dog Training. You could give her a call and see if she can come out to your area...

Joni
Emmalin Jane, George, Clyde, and Rascal (meow & hiss)
From the Bridge - Cosmo (12/2005), Katie (7/2006), Mr. Munchkin (11/2008), Bella DSA, CGC (1/2009), Skitter DSA (12/2010), Beau (11/2014), and Calvin (6/2017)

"The world of the generous gets larger and larger... The on who blesses other is abundantly blessed; those who help other are helped." Proverbs 11:24-25

"They that sow in tears shall reap in joy" Psalms 126:5

#20 Jan

Jan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 09:52 PM

I am in Clinton Township, and a teacher in Warren (10 mile & Ryan area). That is were I wanted to go but I can't find a schedule and then I found they don't start until aftrer September. My girl is getting unrulely, she snaped at a neighbor kid and my seven year old. She has never been upset with my son, they lay one the floor, he is always all over her. So I was in need of help now. I do plan on going there for the next training I do with her. My family is in love with her and it would kill us to have ot give her up. She no matter what I will continue to try to work with her.

How long have you had her? How old is she? Many people on this forum know alot more about Dobes than I. Marten came to us at about 2yrs old last September. In June we got Heidi also around 2 years old to keep Marten company. They have both gone through alot in their short lives. I just try to always be sure they know that I love them BUT that I'm in charge. The SMOTC classes really helped Marten. He finished Beginner last winter and Advanced in the spring. Heidi will be going to Beginner in September. You can begin working with your girl now. Alot of exercise seems to calm them down and work out the antsiness. Also working on the lead while walking, sitting when you stop and the other basic stuff, reinforces that she's not in charge. You are. If you have specific questions, feel free to post them on the forum. Everyone is really helpful to make suggestions and recommend on-line sites or books to read. Also important is crate training. Do you separate her in her crate when she's acting up? I give them one of my serious "talks" where I explain the consequences of their continuing to do something I don't like. If they don't listen, then the know they're getting time out in their crates. Keep at it. It will all work out. :P
Marten & Heidi's Mom
Jan

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users