19 replies to this topic

#1 aanderson

aanderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 03:49 AM

It is with the deepest sorrow that I write that my family and I have lay to rest our most cherished Doberman, Spencer, today.

My mother and I rescued Spencer almost 13 years ago. He was tied to a fence with a chain around 3ft long. No food or water. Spencer was so happy when we put him in our car and drove away. He never looked back.

I remember how excited I was to have my own Doberman. He really belonged to the entire family, but I got to name him and do his training, so he was mine. Spencer and I always had so much fun together and we bonded right away. At Halloween I would dress him up in a costume and we would hand out candy to the kids together. At least I would hand out the candy and Spencer would try to eat it.

When I finally “grew up” and moved out, I really missed him and would make frequent trips home to visit him. I bet my parents thought I had not really moved out, with me visiting all the time. Spencer and I loved to go to PetSmart together and go doggy shopping. He loved to chase his “brothers” Nate and Mason. But most of all he loved to go with my dad every Sat to the airfield for “off the leash” walk/run.

So life carried on, the years slip by and we all got older without realizing it. Three months ago, Spencer was diagnosed with Wobblers and it managed to take him down quickly. We all made the commitment that we would let him go when it was time and we would also make the time he had left the best. He deserved that.

Spencer told us today that is was time for him to move on.

I have always said that it is the health and happiness in a dog that matter most when it comes to this sort of thing. Not my feelings or my parent’s feelings. Yet today I didn’t want to let him go, I wanted to be selfish and keep him with us. And then I remembered the love and loyalty that he gave us for so many years and so, as my father held him, Spencer went to sleep for the last time.

We will forever miss him.

See you at the Rainbow Bridge, my friend

Allison

“ To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under heaven: “

A time to be born, a time to die
A time to plant, a time to reap
A time to kill, a time to heal
A time to laugh, a time to weep

A time to build up, a time to break down
A time to dance, a time to mourn
A time to cast away stones, a time to gather stones together

A time of love, a time of hate
A time of war, a time of peace
A time you may embrace, a time to refrain from embracing

A time to gain, a time to lose
A time to rend, a time to sew
A time to love, a time to hate
A time for peace, I swear it's not too late

* From the Book of Ecclesiastes and Song by Pete Seeger

Attached Files

#2 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 05:30 AM

I am so sorry for your loss. You and your family were truly Spencer's guardian angels from the moment you released him from that chain to the moment you allowed him to die with dignity and love. My thoughts are with you.

Dogs don't know about beginnings, and they don't speculate on matters that occurred before their time.
Dogs also don't know-or at least don't accept-the concept of death.
With no concept of beginnings or endings, dogs probably don't know that for people, having a dog as a life companion provides a streak of light between two eternities of darkness
Stanley Coren

#3 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 06:53 AM

So very sorry to hear of your lose. It's never easy to say good bye to them but the pain they endure is to much to imagine. Wobblers, Cardio, Liver Failure, Cancer, and etc, we are cursed with these problems in our breed. He can now run without pain. This we have to believe in. A better life. So very sorry. Arda and the kids at Second Chance

#4 mihalik1413

mihalik1413

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 08:42 AM

Allison,
So sorry to hear about your loss. It seems like the time we have with our dogs is never enough.

Larry

#5 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 09:20 AM

Allison,

I'm crying over here for you...I can only imagine what you're going through, and even to imagine it brings great sadness. Spencer had a wonderful, long life thanks to you and your family. It's not easy to say good-bye, but when your friend tells you it's time, the most gracious and respectful thing you can do for him is to let him go. He'll be with you forever in your memories...cherish them always!!

**MANY HUGS**

Mandy, Brandon, Gunner, Belle, Katie and Inca
Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

#6 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 09:58 AM

:D

I'm so very sorry for your loss, Allison. There just aren't any words that will make it feel better, I know. The pictures are a beautiful tribute to Spencer's life and it looks like he had a wonderful one with you and your family. So very very sorry.

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#7 Vicki_Wood

Vicki_Wood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 10:19 AM

My eyes and heart are crying for you. I am so sorry. Love Gracie and Vicki

#8 Pam

Pam

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 11:06 AM

I'm in tears for you, too. Anyone who has lost a beloved dog knows the heartache you are experiencing. We just have to remember that we give them the best life & the most love that we can & be grateful that we get the years we get, whether it's just a few or many. It certainly sounds like Spencer had a wonderful life with you. Much sympathy.

#9 Kari

Kari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 03:44 PM

Allison I'm so so sorry about Spencer , my deepest sympathy for you and your family , take care of yourselves and you should be proud of how you devoted all your love and time to make his days the best . Kari & Draeko
Smile well and often, it makes people wonder what you've been up to." -- Satchel Paige

#10 ella

ella

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 03:58 PM

Oh Allison, I'm so very sorry for your loss. May God be with you and your family in this time of grief. Just be thankful that he had a wonderful long life with you and be sure that you will see him again at the bridge.

Ella
Ella - mother of Princess and Bonnie Blue

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
-Josh Billings

#11 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 04:42 PM

Allison -

I am so sorry to hear about Spencer. Even though in our hearts we know we're doing the right thing to let them go, it's one of the hardest decisions any of us have to make. My heart goes out to you and your family. My condolences and sympathy. He's at the Bridge, without pain, running free, looking down on you with thanks.

You'll be in my thoughts and prayers.

Linda

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ... I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man.
-------------------------
Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Sugar Bear 06/18/2017
Shadow a/k/a Little Snoopy
SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)
Greta Von Reiman (1972-1984)

#12 KellyB

KellyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 07:01 PM

Allison,
As I read your loving thoughts of Spencer it brought tears to my eyes. It wasn't to long ago that we to let our beloved Sam go. I think many of us feel as you did

Yet today I didn’t want to let him go, I wanted to be selfish and keep him with us. And then I remembered the love and loyalty that he gave us for so many years and so, as my father held him, Spencer went to sleep for the last time.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family

Kelly, Kori, Jake, Kyle, Dakota , Myles
Dakota and Myles's Mom

#13 KellyB

KellyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 07:10 PM

The Rainbow Bridge
Inspired by a Norse legend

By the edge of a wood, at the foot of a hill,
is a lush, green meado where time stands still.
Where the friends of man and woman do run,
when their time on earth is over and done.

For here, between this world and next,
is a place where each beloved creatur finds rest.
On this golden land, they wait and they play,
till the Rainbow Bridge they cross over one day.

No more do they suffer, in pain or in sadness,
for here they are whole, their lives filled with gladness.
Their limbs are restored, their health renewed,
their bodies have healed, with strength imbued.

They romp through the grass, without even a care,
until one day they start, and sniff at the air.
All ears prick forward, eyes dart front and back,
then all of a sudden, one breaks from the pack.

For just at that instant, their eyes have met;
Together again, both person and pet.
So they run to each other, these friends from long past,
the time of their parting is over at last.

The sadness they felt while they were apart,
has turned into joy once more in each heart.
They embrace with a love that will last forever,
and then, side-by-side,
they cross over .... together.
Dakota and Myles's Mom

#14 aanderson

aanderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 09:26 PM

Thank you so much for all the replies that I have gotten. You all are a wonderful group of people. It is nice to have someone understand the pain of losing a best friend.

My parents and I are still reeling from the shock and pain of losing him so fast and I guess time will be the healer here. I have not lost anyone special to me as an adult (lucky, I know) so this pain is unlike anything I have ever experienced. I hope to not feel it again for a long while. I don't think my heart could take it again.

Please kiss and hug your dogs (and cats) for me today, you really never know how long they have been placed in your care. :D

Allison

#15 RUSTYSMOM

RUSTYSMOM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 09:47 PM

Allison,

Posted Image I am so sorry to hear about your lose. Please know that you and your family are in my thoughts and my prayers.

Michelle & Rusty..

#16 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 01 July 2005 - 11:15 PM

Allison and Family,

So sorry for the loss of your loyal friend.

May God send you peace during this difficult time.

:D Cheryl & Cocoa
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#17 chimommy

chimommy

Chimommy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 837 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 11:23 AM

Allison,
We are sorry to hear about the loss of Spencer. I am sure he had a full and wonderful life with you. He is in a better place and free to run with the Dobes that have went on before him.
Hugs and prayers,
Lorie and Arda Bee :D

#18 Daisy

Daisy

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,349 posts

Posted 02 July 2005 - 09:02 PM

We are so sorry to hear about Spenser, you were his angel
when you saved him & he gave you so much in return..
You have wonderful memories of the great times with him.
It is never easy to have to let them go... But it was the
best thing you could do. We all have to go thru it when
we have a pet..
He will be at the Bridge running free, no more pain...
Sincerly
Daisy

#19 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 03 July 2005 - 11:19 AM

Allison, I am so sorry for your loss...
Wobblers is just a hard thing to understand or watch your pet go through, as you know I went thorugh it myself.
You and your family gave Spence such a WONDERFUL life, so many memories and pictures to treasure forever.
As long as memories are kept and reminisced, the spirit of your friend, pet and family member will never die....
Again, so sorry for your loss.

#20 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 04 July 2005 - 01:25 PM

Allison,

We are truely sorry to hear about Spencer. May you find some comfort and peace in this diffcult time.

"One never dies they are always in our hearts."
unknown

Todd, Cathy, Suzzane, & Doodgee Gray
<span style='color:green'>"<span style='font-family:Optima'>The dog has seldom been succesful in pulling man up to its level of sagacity, but man has frequently dragged the dog down to his" </span>James Thurber</span>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users