45 replies to this topic

#21 Jodi

Jodi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 07:21 PM

Wow, shame on me for not checking your website fully.......I didn't realize there was a whole message board!! What a wonderful place to share Otis' new adventures!! I'm so happy to read all of the wonderful beginnings here, both of the dogs I met and those who came before. Thank you everyone at SCD, and especially you Arda, for your dedication and commitment to each and every one of these dogs!!

It is true that Otis picked me that day.....and he's the very best Valentine I've ever gotten!! Although I saw many beautiful dogs that day, he captured my heart. I could almost feel his heart breaking as he watched the others leave before him. He leaned against my leg as if to tell me, "I need someone to lean on" How could I resist?? When I walked him to my truck to get his new leash, he tried to jump in. I was almost as if HE wasn't going to LET me leave without him.

Otis and I have bonded quickly. He loves car rides and goes with me mostly everywhere but work.....well, he's even been to work with me when I worked a late evening. :cry: Like any 2 year old (human or canine) he tests his boundries, gets needy when he's tired and loves lots of new stimulation. On the rare occation I wake up before him and he doesn't hear me, he slowly slinks down from his spot on the couch, pretending I didn't just see him there. He hasn't even once tried to get onto the furniture in from of me....but sneaks every night. Truth be told, I'd probably let him sit on the furniture, but if he's made a game of hiding it, then that's fine by me. Like I said in the email, now that I'm confident of his temperment and how he listens to me, I plan to get him around other dogs because he seems to miss it......Could it be possible that another Dobe is in my future? Only time can tell :devil:

Here's a couple of pictures I took in the first few days I had him (although my avatar is my favorite picture of him......that face...awww). Once I get some better pictures, I'll be sure to post those. He just didn't want to sit still those first couple of days. Now that he's realxed in his new home, I'm sure I'll get some more candid shots.....maybe even one of him "sneaking" on the couch :P

Attached Files

Edited by Jodi, 24 February 2009 - 09:43 PM.

#22 CrocHunter

CrocHunter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:07 PM

Great pictures! Great Story! I just wish they were a bit bigger. They're kinda small.
Dobermans:

Leah - female
Rerun - Male

#23 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:26 PM

Welcome to the board! And thanks for the pictures of Otis. It's so great to get updates on the dogs in their new homes. He is a beautiful boy.

It matters to the one you save.

SCD's Out on Bail CGC (December 17, 2008- April 27, 2018)
SCD's Stone Soup
SCD's Sixpence in my shoe
SCD's Hurricane Alley CGC (August 12, 2007- September 11, 2014)
SCD's Easter Buddy CGC (August 12, 2007- July 5, 2012)
Page, Princess Extraordinaire - (July 9, 2000- July 31, 2007)

#24 MarlysMom

MarlysMom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 08:28 PM

Love the pics....he is a gorgeous one! Isn't it funny how they pick us and are a great match. I've got two and if I had more room, I'd probably have more :cry:

Edited by MarlysMom, 24 February 2009 - 08:30 PM.

#25 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:05 PM

He is beautiful and the name seems to fit. congrats and good luck and longevity.

Mary

Dogs don't know about beginnings, and they don't speculate on matters that occurred before their time.
Dogs also don't know-or at least don't accept-the concept of death.
With no concept of beginnings or endings, dogs probably don't know that for people, having a dog as a life companion provides a streak of light between two eternities of darkness
Stanley Coren

#26 Jodi

Jodi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 24 February 2009 - 09:45 PM

I resized the pictures....they're much bigger now. I'm still learning this whole digital picture thing... lol

#27 Bumpette

Bumpette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,632 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 06:26 AM

Welcome to our board, Jodi! :cry: Thank you for posting the pictures and story of Otis's first days with you. We can never get enough stories and pictures. Otis is such a handsome fella. :P
Happiness is a decision.

Susie Q
SCD's Darlin' Darcy - CGC
SCD's Mr. McBump - CGC
SCD's Liddle Diddles - CGC

Forever in our hearts:
SCD's One Cool Dude (7/05-4/10)
Ralph (SCD) (10/99-6/05)
Rex (SCD) (6/93-9/99)
Sheeba (BYB) (11/82-4/93)

#28 dcarl47312

dcarl47312

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:26 AM

He's a beauty,thanks for making his life wonderful!! Just a little unsolicited advise,some people have dominance problems allowing their Dobes on furniture so I'd just be aware of the potential and if he starts trying to show dominance it might be time to keep him off.Others allow it with no problems, it's just these dogs are so smart and we love them so much they can take advantage sometimes.The fact that he doesn't do it in front of you I think is a really good sign.Have a great day!!
(I've found this place just great for any problems/advise needed,there are people here who have more knowledge than anyone around me about Dobes and I've gotten great advice/suggestions here)

Edited by dcarl47312, 25 February 2009 - 08:30 AM.

#29 Kzoo

Kzoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 10:53 AM

He is beautiful!!!
I admit I have never been a huge fan of red dobes. But lately I have seen some darned beautiful reds on this board!! I have always loved the black/tan. I think maybe someday I might have to get a red one...........several, several years from now!!

#30 Annie Moon

Annie Moon

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 11:48 AM

He's BEAUTIFUL !
Looks like your Otis is singing his Happy Song (Old Otis Redding tune... one of my favorites).
I'm happy for you both. :cry:
In Memory of Mariah He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.  ~Unknown~

#31 yahoosmom

yahoosmom

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 25 February 2009 - 12:31 PM

Jodi,
I'm so happy everything worked out for you and Otis. What a great story of how you meet.
I love your pictures, He looks like he's been there for ever, What a handsome :cry:
hunk of a dobe. A perfect fit for each other. Thanks for sharing your story with us. :P

#32 ella

ella

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 12:48 AM

Jodi
Welcome to the board. Great pictures and loved the story. And I love red dobes he is a real beauty.
Ella & Princess
Ella - mother of Princess and Bonnie Blue

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
-Josh Billings

#33 shromada

shromada

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,003 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:49 PM

Jodi, Welcome to the board! Otis looks almost my big red boy Max! Otis is a beauty. Congratulations!

#34 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 26 February 2009 - 08:28 PM

Welcome to dober-world Jodi! Otis is very handsome and I'm so glad he found you. THanks for sharing your update with everyone too.
We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare, and the love we can spare. And, in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

#35 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 06:50 PM

Jodi, I'm so glad you discovered the discussion board. Congratulations to you and Otis. He's a beautiful boy. Maybe when a little time has gone by and you two have gotten to know each other, he'll let you know it's time for a sister :cry:

Currently part of my treasured family and helping to make life fun and busy:

Hunter, the chocolate Labradeagle (or Beaglador)

Terra, the tall, gorgeous red Doberwoman

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

#36 Jodi

Jodi

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 10:00 PM

Just wanted to give everyone a quick update on how Otis is doing.......I just really can't say enough good things about how it's all worked out!

This past week has been a flurry of new people and situations. Although we go for car rides almost everyday and walks every other day or so, I hadn't taken Otis anywhere but work and home. I wanted him to get comfortable and know that this his his forever home before taking him into other houses or stores. Well, we went to my Dad's house for a visit and Otis got to meet his dog Toby (who's a Sheltie). I've got to be honest, I was a little worried about how it might go because Toby's a bit.....let's say energetic :hug: Otis did FABULOUS!! He was on leash the whole time we were there, but within an hour of arriving, he was sitting next to me and calm enough for me to let go of the leash and trust he wouldn't bolt after Toby or get into something he shouldn't. During dinner, he layed right next to my chair and didn't even look ay anyone eating at the table. I was very proud of him!! We also got a flight kennel from dear 'ole Dad/Grandad. I decided that if all the experts around here think it's a good idea to have one, I should probably be prepared and take it if it was being offered to me. Otis isn't so fond of it, but he does relax after a very short time and tolerate being in it until I return.

While we were visiting, I noticed a wonderful part of Otis' personality.......whenever he hears music being played live he lays down to listen! He's exposed to music being played a lot, but that was the first he heard music coming directly from an intrument. He enjoyed the guitar and dropped the ball he was playing with when he heard the dulcimer, but the fiddle really puzzled him. He layed in front of my step mother, giving her that precious Dobie inquizitive look, and tilted his head as she changed notes for the song she was playing. He didn't once bark and when the songs were over he would jump up wagging his whole backside before again sitting down to listen when the next song started up. It was amazing to watch!! Looks like he's just as much a music lover as I am. All I could think was, he IS singing his Happy Song!! :)

He also got to take an overnight trip with me to a friend's house. He met about 20 new people that day.....and 3 cats. Again, he was on leash (and I held onto it the whole time) while we were there, but he did absolutely amazing!! My friend kept prompting me to let the leash go and let him explore, but I didn't want to give him the opportunity to get into trouble and then have to correct the behavior. Better to set the example of how he should act and then back off with the restrictions as he proves he can handle it. I'm still not convinced that I'd be able to break his thoughts/actions in a reactive situation (cat running by, food within his reach, etc) without having to physically grab him, so until I feel we're to that level then he'll stay on the leash when we're somewhere new.

Another first this week was when Otis bolted out of my yard and ran a few houses down to meet the St. Bernard neighbor he hears bark all of the time. (I now think that may have been how he ended up at the pound in the first place.) Otis was already in the car ready for us to go for a ride and I had forgotten to open my gate. Now usually once Otis is in the truck there is nothing short of picking him up and taking him out yourself that will get him out of the truck until he's been on the ride and we've come back, so when I went to open the gate I didn't think anything of leaving my door open. As soon as the gate was open enough for that dog to get though he was out of the truck and through the gate before I could even bat an eye. Panic immediately set in as I went running after him. All of my calls were on deaf ears because he had it set in his mind exactly where he was going!! He didn't run, sniff, run some more.....he bolted. Once he got to the house he was looking for he was at the gate barking....and wiggling....at the St. Bernard. He seemed unphased by this new dog on the outside of his fence. His owner didn't look so unbothered....lol. I must have been quite a sight running up all out of breath. Thankfully, she had seen us walking the past couple of weeks and knew this wasn't a strage dog in the neighborhood. I learned a very valuable lesson that day and haven't let my guard down since (hense, why he WASN'T allowed to roam at my friend's house).

I've been reading through many of the other posts on the board and feel grateful that there's so many of you out there willing to give advice, encouragement and support to all of these dogs and their new homes. I appreciate all of the tips, stories and kind words.....and I'm looking forword to getting to meet a lot of you at future events!! :hug:

#37 doberpagegirl

doberpagegirl

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,494 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 11:50 PM

I'm so happy for you and Otis. The part about the music is amazing. My Aunt used to have a malamute that would "sing" with musical instruments. As a child I adored to sing with Jake. Although looking back the adults probably weren't as thrilled as us kids. It sounds like you picked out the perfect name for your boy. You can clearly see how much you love him and what a good owner you are. He is a lucky, lucky boy. Thanks so much for sharing the stories. Hopefully we will have a reunion this fall and Otis can run with more dobes than you have ever seen in one place.

It matters to the one you save.

SCD's Out on Bail CGC (December 17, 2008- April 27, 2018)
SCD's Stone Soup
SCD's Sixpence in my shoe
SCD's Hurricane Alley CGC (August 12, 2007- September 11, 2014)
SCD's Easter Buddy CGC (August 12, 2007- July 5, 2012)
Page, Princess Extraordinaire - (July 9, 2000- July 31, 2007)

#38 oreo5129

oreo5129

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 07:45 AM

There was nothing but pride and love in that post and how deserving it is. Otis sounds like a wonderful companion. You wonder, don't you, how some of these fabulous animals end up without homes? By the way, I love your avatar.

Mary

Dogs don't know about beginnings, and they don't speculate on matters that occurred before their time.
Dogs also don't know-or at least don't accept-the concept of death.
With no concept of beginnings or endings, dogs probably don't know that for people, having a dog as a life companion provides a streak of light between two eternities of darkness
Stanley Coren

#39 dcarl47312

dcarl47312

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 09:30 AM

My first dobe loved music,he even had a favorite song"Europa" by Santana,I could turn it on and it was as good as calling him.He would come running and immediately start singing along.I played in a local band at that time and we would regularly come to the end of a song at practice only to hear howling continue.My dobe would be hiding behind one of the speaker stacks howling along with us! I saw a very interesting program,dog genius,that showed how we're just now realizing how much dogs understand about people from being so close and interactive with people for thousands of years.For instance it showed a chimp that knew words,shapes,used tools,etc. and showed that it didn't understand about a persons closed eyes,then it showed a dog,as soon as the person closed his eyes the dog stole a treat in front of him.They said dogs are the only creature capable of understanding the concept of peoples closed eyes and we should relook at how we evaluate intelligence in them.It also had a short segment about "Donnie the Doberman" a rescued dobe that arranges his stuffed critters in formatioins and scenes,very interesting!
Thanks for the update on Otis!! It's always great to hear how well these guys turn out in a good home!!

#40 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 10:38 AM

What a great post, Jodi. It's clear that Otis hit the jackpot with such a loving and caring family. Love the story about the music. Hmm, guitar, dulcimer, fiddle. Bluegrass, maybe? I love bluegrass. Heck, I love most kinds of music and it sure sounds like Otis does, too. I can just picture him turning his head the way they do, like their ears are satellite receivers and they're trying to get the perfect signal.

Currently part of my treasured family and helping to make life fun and busy:

Hunter, the chocolate Labradeagle (or Beaglador)

Terra, the tall, gorgeous red Doberwoman

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users