99 replies to this topic

#41 docsavalle

docsavalle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 10 October 2005 - 05:24 PM

cab, well atleast bronson does not steal everyones pizza off there plates, and yes bronson loves to eat, he will every and anything thats put in front of him, {except for me} frank

#42 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 08:36 AM

Steph,
I'll go through my pics and find the ones I have of Belle for you....I know I have them SOMEWHERE... just have to start digging!! :D

I'll try to make it there so we can see you....what time will you be leaving? Even if I can get there in time to see you guys right before you leave!!!! :D

#43 RUSTYSMOM

RUSTYSMOM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 11 October 2005 - 09:29 PM

Ok, I am getting excited to see everyone again!!!!!!!! It's been SOOOOOOOOOOO long...TOOOOOOOOOOO long, honestly... :D

As always, I remain...
All of your
CRAZY CANUCK!!! :D

Hey Jenny.........since you are making the trip out would you like me to bring Rusty out so you can finally meet him?????? :D

Michelle

#44 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 07:35 AM

I will not be sending Bubbles nor Diamond because of the amount of animals going. I request that you keep your animals under control. This is not a family reunion nor a play date. It's PR. There are way too many volunteers and dogs going to this event. Swamp Mama
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#45 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 07:55 AM

I don't have to bring any dogs, really. Although, I'd REALLY like to bring Kizzy, she needs it.
Brody, on the other hand, can stay home. He gets "testy" and I would actually prefer not to bring him, to be honest with you.
~Jen~

Michelle, I'd LOVE to meet Rusty!!! :D

#46 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 08:27 AM

I feel the same way that Arda does. I'm leaving my dogs home because they react totally differently with a group of dogs than they do with lots of people. Tiki can't stand to see two dogs play fighting so she starts to bark to break it up. Onlookers do NOT understand that behavior. I just can't allow my dogs to give people the wrong impression about the breed.

I appreciate you leaving Brody home if he gets testy, Jen. That will be very helpful.

To the others who are planning on coming. You know your dogs best. When you are walking through the park with your dog on a leash, how do they react to people and dogs? Do they jump at other dogs? Do they bark? Do they growl? Do they have to be number one? Do other dogs react badly to them by getting aggressive? Do they hate cats or rabbits? If so, please leave them home. ANY incident will make people afraid. Please remember that people are ALREADY afraid of them to start with. If one dog turns on another one people will ASSUME that they are dangerous. And dogs act totally differently on a leash than they do when they are freely roaming in the yard.

I know that you all love your dogs and think they are the bees knees, but I have seen the sweetest of dogs turn on one another because they are trying to establish a temporary pecking order. It can look AWFUL to the onlookers and it will do more harm to the doberman's reputation.

As far as number of dogs there I would say a total of four is more than enough to try to control when you have dogs and cats going into the store. I'm sure that Ted would love to have all of you drop by, let him meet your dogs, do some shopping, and then remove your dogs from the scene or put them in the car. He has commented on how wonderful it is to see all the people involved with the group. He LOVES Happy Ending Stories in Rescue. He would love to know that there are more dobes in a permanent home than just Tiki and Tango. :D

We also have the option of placing the dogs in different locations to separate them while still allowing people to see them from the road. We could have some up on the grass by the road where people could see them. Of course if it's raining that wouldn't work because there is no shelter there.

How does this sound?

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#47 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 08:32 AM

I couldn't have said it any better. Good job Jane!
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#48 RUSTYSMOM

RUSTYSMOM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 08:36 AM

Sorry....We'll stay at home then.

Michelle & Rusty

#49 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 08:46 AM

You know your dogs best.  When you are walking through the park with your dog on a leash, how do they react to people and dogs?  Do they jump at other dogs?  Do they bark?  Do they growl?  Do they have to be number one?  Do other dogs react badly to them by getting aggressive?  Do they hate cats or rabbits?  If so, please leave them home.  ANY incident will make people afraid.  Please remember that people are ALREADY afraid of them to start with.  If one dog turns on another one people will ASSUME that they are dangerous.  And dogs act totally differently on a leash than they do when they are freely roaming in the yard.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think that both Jane and Joni would agree that I should not bring Cocoa to these events for the simple fact that she gets in every dog's face and she does not know when to let up. :D She's also very vocal. One of these days she is going to get her butt kicked. I'd rather this NOT happen at a meet and greet. :D
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#50 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 08:52 AM

One of these days she is going to get her butt kicked.  I'd rather this NOT happen at a meet and greet.    :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Cheryl, you are too funny! :D

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#51 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 09:02 AM

Sorry....We'll stay at home then.

Michelle & Rusty

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Michelle, please stop by with Rusty. He puts a smile on all of our faces, and Jenny May should really meet him! We'll just try to keep the dogs separated and on their good behavior. I would really like Ted to see how Arda and SCD has helped other breeds as well as dobes.

We will all have our cars in the parking lot there. When there are more than four dogs, we can give other dogs a break and put them in the cars. It's a lot of work to greet people and sit there for hours.

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

*bark?*

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

#52 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 09:09 AM

Kizzy is pretty reserved. She's a little scaredy cat, and will probably just sit behind my legs, or under my knees, and just stare at people. She IS a rescue dog, though! :D SO...I WILL be bringing Kizzy no matter what, if that's ok, Jane. Like I've said before, she is in DESPERATE need of some socialization and atmospheres for her own good, before it's too late. She needs to be around groups of people. Dogs don't bother her, (or atleast they haven't up to this point) but people kind of scare her at first, but then she warms up. So I'd still like to be able to bring her. I agree with both you AND Arda, though, about the number of dogs, and I'm hoping you'll be ok with Kizzy coming.
Brody can stay at home. They need some separate one on one time, anyways, and this will be a good excuse for it. AND...he doesn't get "testy" with other dogs, he gets testy in the way of, "Hey mum, we're in public, with other people/dogs, I'm going to act like a bugger and there's NOTHING you can do about it!! :D " Yeah, he's a typical teenager... :D

#53 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 09:20 AM

Kizzy is pretty reserved.  She's a little scaredy cat, and will probably just sit behind my legs, or under my knees, and just stare at people.  She IS a rescue dog, though!  :D  SO...I WILL be bringing Kizzy no matter what, if that's ok, Jane.  Like I've said before, she is in DESPERATE need of some socialization and atmospheres for her own good, before it's too late.  She needs to be around groups of people.  Dogs don't bother her, (or atleast they haven't up to this point) but people kind of scare her at first, but then she warms up.  So I'd still like to be able to bring her.  I agree with both you AND Arda, though, about the number of dogs, and I'm hoping you'll be ok with Kizzy coming.
Brody can stay at home.  They need some separate one on one time, anyways, and this will be a good excuse for it.  AND...he doesn't get "testy" with other dogs, he gets testy in the way of, "Hey mum, we're in public, with other people/dogs, I'm going to act like a bugger and there's NOTHING you can do about it!!  :D "  Yeah, he's a typical teenager...  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Kizzy sounds perfect, Jen. :P Puppies have that way of wagging their whole bodies. Real people pleasers!

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

*bark?*

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

#54 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 09:22 AM

Nicely put Jane!!! I was getting concerned at the number of dogs that were slated to attend too. We do have to remember that we are "on duty". I would love to bring Bella but the truth is that she is not good with other dogs at a distance. She would be fine with our dogs around us but not the ones walking into the store, so she stays home... and Cheryl is right. While I love Cocoa dearly, she is a little too "up in your face" at M&G's... and very high energy, which stresses Cheryl out because she wants her to be well behaved (i.e. quiet) and she is not always that... I've been there with Bella on that one... You want them to do one thing and they go in completely the other direction and you feel like you aren't controlling your dog.

I was thinking about bringing Donoza but don't know how he will be with all the other dogs around, and then there is also the "boredom" factor to remember. The dogs get bored. They get tired of standing around. They get tired of laying in the crate. We can talk and visit but they don't get to do as much of that as we do...

It is also stressful for many of them. Different people coming near them (no matter how social they are), differnent place to be, different dogs around (and coming and going into the store). The greyhound group limits dog 'shifts" to 2 hours max... but we don't have the luxury because we don't have as many volunteers and dogs that come to M&G's...

That having been said.... What dogs are we still planning on having there? I don't want us all to not bring and then we don't have anyone!!!

Jenny, do you have a crate you can bring for Kizzie? It may make her feel a little more comfortable if she has a place she can "hide" for short periods. The trick to socializing is not to force too much of it on them at any one time...

Do I need to bring a crate?

Joni
Emmalin Jane, George, Clyde, and Rascal (meow & hiss)
From the Bridge - Cosmo (12/2005), Katie (7/2006), Mr. Munchkin (11/2008), Bella DSA, CGC (1/2009), Skitter DSA (12/2010), Beau (11/2014), and Calvin (6/2017)

"The world of the generous gets larger and larger... The on who blesses other is abundantly blessed; those who help other are helped." Proverbs 11:24-25

"They that sow in tears shall reap in joy" Psalms 126:5

#55 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 09:50 AM

Joni, I think your soft-sided crate would work for Kizzy, wouldn't it? It's more private, right?

We need a roll call of when people are coming and which dogs they are bringing. I know Jenny May and Stef are showing up later so we will need other dogs to be there at noon. Larry and I will be there at 11:30 for set up. If no dogs show up we will go home and get Tiki and Tango to do their part before Jenny May gets there. Tango LOVES to greet people but chills quickly and can't stand for very long even though she tries. I'm expecting Ella and Princess to be there early. Am I correct on that Ella?

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

*bark?*

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

#56 docsavalle

docsavalle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 806 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 10:06 AM

i will not be bringing bronson to the event

#57 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 10:25 AM

Ok, Stef and I are going to get there as early as we can, but Stef has a dog training thing in the morning (HAHAHAHA SORRY, Stef, I forgot what it's called!!! :D ) AND...John has to take Meaghan to bowling Saturday morning, so we'll be leaving around 12:30 from Windsor. I'm going to have to go on mapquest and get the directions, too.

P.S. DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ANY CONSTRUCTION AROUND THE M&G FOR THAT DAY?!?!?! I would like to be prepared with another route, IF there's anything..

Thanks!
~Jen~

P.S.S. Joni, Kizzy won't need a crate. She's around people all the time here, just needs to be "outside" her comfort zone. She'll be more comfortable next to me, versus in a crate, but thanks for the suggestion!

Edited by Jennymay, 12 October 2005 - 10:27 AM.

#58 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 10:31 AM

Tux & I have a tracking class at 7am. :D

I will leave him at home for the day. He's not solid enough and I would rather not be a problem.

We'll leave as soon as I can get to Windsor, so 12:30 sounds good. :D

Cheers!
Stef
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

SCD's Shooting Star "Stella" - We will work on titles. :)
Vixenvale Kingston's Warren - Kingston (2006-2017)
SCD's Black Tie Affair "Tux" - PCD, CGN, CGC (2004-2015)
Can CH Jimary Jack's Are High "Jack" (Pug) - PCD

#59 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 10:35 AM

Stef, I'm only bringing Ms. Kismet. She'll be ok, and she'll love the extra attention from the both of us!!!
She'll love the attention from ALL of us!!! :D

#60 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 12 October 2005 - 10:37 AM

I haven't spouted up because I'm not sure what construction there will be for the weekend...

Your best bet would be I75 South out of Detroit... from there you have several options...

1. Southfield north to Outer Drive (exit to I94 West is closed) - turn around to southbound and get on I94 from there... Take that to I275 North and exit on Ford Road and go west.

2. Northline exit, west to the end at Middlebelt, turn right on Middlebelt and go north to I94... Take I94 west to I275 North

3. Eureka exit, west all the way to I275 (don't take the airport tour) North... (kinda out of your way but may be faster)

but I don't know if there is still construction on Ford Road, Jane??? is there??? Do we need the "back way" into Canton?

Joni
Emmalin Jane, George, Clyde, and Rascal (meow & hiss)
From the Bridge - Cosmo (12/2005), Katie (7/2006), Mr. Munchkin (11/2008), Bella DSA, CGC (1/2009), Skitter DSA (12/2010), Beau (11/2014), and Calvin (6/2017)

"The world of the generous gets larger and larger... The on who blesses other is abundantly blessed; those who help other are helped." Proverbs 11:24-25

"They that sow in tears shall reap in joy" Psalms 126:5

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users