41 replies to this topic

#1 Kennysmom

Kennysmom

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 09:34 AM

I know this topic has come up on more than one occasion, but none of the remedies have helped.

Akina (Misty) has the worst diarrhea. She's had it since she's been home, but has had some normal stools. I've tried Immodium...and some other thing that the vet gave me that actually just made her sick to her stomach.
Over the weekend, I tried the fast for 24hrs...then a bland rice and boiled meat dinner. Things were looking great and I thought we were going to be in the clear. So, I started to add just a little bit of regular food in with the rice, (Diamond Maintence) but much to my dismay....poor little girl just couldn't handle it...and squattin' outside she went.

I asked my vet about Tylan, but she wouldn't give me any because it was an 'antibiotic'.

Any clue as to why it would be 'normal' for a day...then back to the runs? Think I should keep her on Rice/boiled meat and yogurt for a few more days? Time to try a different vet???

Anyone remember if she had 'runny' issues when she was down at the swamp?
For the love of K.A.T.
Kenny, Akina (R.I.P.) & Tanner

#2 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 10:40 AM

yes tylan is an antibiotic but the effect it has in dogs is different... I got it originally from a vet when traveling in OH at a conference with Bella... the other drug he gave me was Reglan...

sounds like a food allergy... maybe get a small bag of Pedigree which is what she was getting at the kennel and try putting her back on that, after a few days of the bland diet...

some dogs are allergic to many grains so maybe try plain cooked oatmeal instead of the rice...

also add acididophillus (sp?)... you can buy it in capsules or it is in dairy products like yogurt (no artificial sweetners)... this is the "good gut" bacteria which will help balance out her system...

liquid aloe, I get mine at Meijers, without the herbs will help soothe the digestive tract... add it to her water or mix in her food. start out with 1 oz a day...

canned pumpkin, the vegetable NOT the pie filling which has flavorings and sugar added... small amounts will help to soak up the excess liquid in her digestive tract and firm up the stools...

and last but not least... some rescue remedy for stress, your's and hers... one of Bella's biggest triggers is stress... a little RR whether in her food or just inhale the smell can do wonders for her... and a big sniff for you will help you relax and not stress and pass it on to her... because we all stress when our babies aren't feeling well!!! :whistling:

Joni
Emmalin Jane, George, Clyde, and Rascal (meow & hiss)
From the Bridge - Cosmo (12/2005), Katie (7/2006), Mr. Munchkin (11/2008), Bella DSA, CGC (1/2009), Skitter DSA (12/2010), Beau (11/2014), and Calvin (6/2017)

"The world of the generous gets larger and larger... The on who blesses other is abundantly blessed; those who help other are helped." Proverbs 11:24-25

"They that sow in tears shall reap in joy" Psalms 126:5

#3 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 10:43 AM

I took my dobes off Diamond because of soft stools. They are now on Eukanuba lamb and rice and the stools are much more firm and dry. I don't think this will solve the problem, but it will help once she is stable, I think.

Tiki has a tendency toward diarrhea. The vet gave her meds and it helped. If I give them anything other than the Eukanuba, I'm just asking for trouble. That includes table scraps, rawhides (the worst offender), etc.

Every once in awhile they will swallow a frog or a mouse or a shrew and we have a bout of diarrhea. They'll eat anything that isn't nailed down. If you don't catch the diarrhea at the start, the intestine can get inflamed and really irritated and it takes awhile to heal up. That's what happened to Tiki. ugh

Good luck with it. Sorry about the hassle. I know how bad it can get.

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#4 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:21 AM

Boy, I hate to say it, but Kevin, Kathye and I are never without Tylan. Soft stool and they get a pinch of it. It keeps everyone here in a good balance. I can't live without it here. What meds did your vet give her? Albon or Metronydasole?
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#5 Kennysmom

Kennysmom

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 12:10 PM

I want to say it was 'Metronydasole'. Didn't do a bit of good, but made her puke.

A lady at the local pet shop here gave me some samples of the 'BARF' diet. 'Kina seems to be able to handle turkey pretty well. She's in great spirits and seems to feel great. Nothing is slowing her down at all, but you can tell she feels guilty when she has an accident.

I'm just peeved that my vet didn't do a stool sample when we were there to rule out anything else.

I'll try these suggestions.....and will definitely try a different food for her.
For the love of K.A.T.

#6 Vicki_Wood

Vicki_Wood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 12:27 PM

Gracie has a really touchy stomach and can ONLY feed her the Dick VanPatten Natural Way dog food; she'll get diarreah even if they're out of the regular and I give her the sweet potato and fish or one of the other kinds like lamb and rice, etc. Coby had soft stools for a month or so and down right diarreah often. Had a hard time discerning if it was all the crap he was stealing and eating or if it was the dog food. Did try to gradually introduce him to the Dick VanPatten food by mixing it with the Pedigree, but then he got into the Pedigree and ate it all. Sometimes the good dog food is too rich for them. Finally, though, everything settled down and haven't had too many problems.

#7 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 12:50 PM

I'm just peeved that my vet didn't do a stool sample when we were there to rule out anything else. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I wondered if giardia had been ruled out...

Joni
From the Bridge - Cosmo (12/2005), Katie (7/2006), Mr. Munchkin (11/2008), Bella DSA, CGC (1/2009), Skitter DSA (12/2010), Beau (11/2014), and Calvin (6/2017)

"The world of the generous gets larger and larger... The on who blesses other is abundantly blessed; those who help other are helped." Proverbs 11:24-25

#8 Thormannix

Thormannix

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 04:32 PM

Chief's problem ended up being a food allergy. They put him on the Vet's Eukanuba and now he is fine. He also was very happy and running around but nothing solid came out of him for three weeks.
Steph

#9 LuvmydobeApollo

LuvmydobeApollo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 04:47 PM

:thumbsup:

Im shocked that your vet didnt want a stool sample first thing! You always have to make sure there are on parasites or worms first, then go from there. Thats what we do at my clinic. I would take a stool sample to another vet and see what her fecal shows. Then ask for flagyl ( metrodinazole) at the least to take care of whatever might be bugging her intestines. They should be able to give you a bland diet like I/D or EN, those are good foods to try for upset tummies. If no parasites, then its "possible" it could be a food allergy, or she may have just gotten into something in the yard.
Good luck!
Sharen and Eva :whistling:

#10 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 06:43 AM

When Tux is sick he gets cooked Oatmeal and Canned Pumpkin. He doesn't seem to tolerate rice as well when he's not feeling well.

I find the canned pumpkin almost always does the trick. (The plain pumpkin not the pie filling with spices.)

I also use Pepto but not often anymore.

I'm also surprised that the vet didn't want a stool sample. Parasites should definitely be ruled out.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

SCD's Shooting Star "Stella" - We will work on titles. :)
Vixenvale Kingston's Warren - Kingston (2006-2017)
SCD's Black Tie Affair "Tux" - PCD, CGN, CGC (2004-2015)
Can CH Jimary Jack's Are High "Jack" (Pug) - PCD

#11 KellyB

KellyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 07:38 AM

I agree with Sharen, take a stool sample in to be tested. At the clinic where I work at the stool testing and fasting for 24 then boiled hamburger and rice. You may also ask if they do the fecal in house or send it to a lab. We were doing ours in house and our lab gave us a deal and now we send them out they seem to catch a lot of the ones that are very hard to see when doing the flotation method.

Kelly
Dakota and Myles's Mom

#12 Eric D

Eric D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 08:54 AM

Ahh, the age old dobe stomach issues. :whistling: Levi has stool issues when he is stressed. If we have a number of people over our house, especially little ones, he loves playing with them and is very gentle with them. A lot of times, the day after, he will have the stool issues. I find that plain yogurt like Dannon works very well to help get him back to normal. I give him about two table spoons with his meals. His normal food is the Nutro, Natural Choice® lamb and rice.

Hope Akina gets feeling better!

Eric D

#13 Kennysmom

Kennysmom

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 08:59 AM

She seems to do great on Oatmeal and veggies or even rice w/ boiled meat. I gave her a little of the 'BARF' diet last night and this morning with some oatmeal and carrots and it also seemed to set well with her.

I'm thinking on trying the Pedigree, since it seems she can tolerate that ok. That's what I fed my labs and they did great on it. But, for now, I'm going to keep her on a fairly mild food until she has a chance to get back into sorts.
For the love of K.A.T.

#14 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 12:10 PM

Glad to hear she is improving, if only a little!!!

Joni

#15 Kennysmom

Kennysmom

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 12:24 PM

Took a sample into the vet today because if she eats anything other than what I cook for her, she gets all runny.

No worms or parasites.

Vet seems to think it could be a food allergy. She's drop a lot of weight and was very lazy all weekend (hopefully just a growing spurt.) Her tail still wiggles, but all she wants to do is snuggle. I'm just getting worried. I gave her a little bit of Pedigree canned with her oatmeal and it gave her the runs too. Vet said to try Iams Lamb & Rice or Science Diet. I hate Science Diet.

She's just so BONEY! Kenny wasn't this young when I got him, are they supposed to be so skinny and boney? Her coat looks wonderful...very shiny and soft, so she must be getting some nutrients. At least she does well on the Raw Diet.
For the love of K.A.T.

#16 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 01:24 PM

Just a thought ... but you might want to read "Holistic Guide for a Healthy Dog".

It's an excellent resource for feeding raw/some cooked. It doesn't feed bones, just muscle meat and liver. If you're preparing your own anyway - it might be something to look at. It's basically oatmeal/veg/egg/yogurt for breakfast and then muscle meat + liver for dinner. It does go into a large number of supplements and explains the reasoning for each.

It's an excellent book and I will happily mail it to you if you want to borrow it.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

SCD's Shooting Star "Stella" - We will work on titles. :)
Vixenvale Kingston's Warren - Kingston (2006-2017)
SCD's Black Tie Affair "Tux" - PCD, CGN, CGC (2004-2015)
Can CH Jimary Jack's Are High "Jack" (Pug) - PCD

#17 Kennysmom

Kennysmom

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 01:46 PM

There is a set of books on Ebay right now and that is one of them. I'll just go ahead and buy one. Thanks for the advice.

There is a girl I work with that cooks all her dogs food and it's such a healthy looking dog. She said that she'd get me some recipes and supplements that she uses. With Kenny's skin issues, it probably wouldn't hurt just to have him eat the same way.

I was just so frustrated with the vet. They didn't even have time to see the dog and I was told that if she started to lose weight to bring her in. But, they didn't seem to care. They're too 'busy'....but when I dropped the sample off...there was NO ONE THERE!!!
K- I'm done venting. I'm just glad she doesn't have worms or anything like that.
For the love of K.A.T.

#18 Vicki_Wood

Vicki_Wood

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 02:11 PM

Here I go again with the Dick VanPattent Natural Way food. I cannot begin to tell you how its improved Gracie's sensitive stomach and the health issues with Blues. Everything seemed to upset Gracie's stomach, and the slightest stress would give her gas that would kill a bull elephant 20 yards away. With Blue, in combination with thyroid pills, it greatly healed his skin and he was actually getting shiny, healthy hair. Even on the thryroid pills, the bumps on his skin, would burst open and bleed; after awhile on this food that did not happen anymore. The vet has actually weaned Coby off the thyroid pills and we are going to wait about a month to do blood panels on him. His coat is so shiny and full and so far no skin issues. It is rich food so for about the first week or so they will have loose stools, but once they get use to it, just doesn't happen anymore.

#19 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 02:39 PM

I was just so frustrated with the vet.  They didn't even have time to see the dog and I was told that if she started to lose weight to bring her in.  But, they didn't seem to care.  They're too 'busy'....but when I dropped the sample off...there was NO ONE THERE!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sounds like you need to find a new vet. Have you heard of this product? It's suppose to be as close to raw as you can get in a kibble.

http://www.naturapet...pro...3D'1246']
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#20 Kennysmom

Kennysmom

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 02:42 PM

There is a local store here in town that sells the Dick Van Patten brand. I'm going to stop in there and pick up a couple samples to see how well she can tolerate it.

I've never heard of Innova, but I'll look into it if this brand doesn't pan out.
For the love of K.A.T.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users