37 replies to this topic

#1 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 08:04 PM

When uploading/attaching photos to your posts on the forum, please make sure to downsize your images to approximately 4" (288 pixels) x 6" (432 pixels) or smaller at no more than 72 dpi. Doing so will yield a file size around 450 kb. People are uploading files that are 1 mb + in size and it's taking up a ton of space on our hosting server. Since launching this new forum, we've had nearly 65 mb of space taken up just in photo uploads. At the rate we're going, we're going to quickly run out of hosting space!

As an alternative to uploading photos to the forum, you can use any number of free photo hosting sites out there from which you can remote link to from this site in order to display your photos and it won't take up any hosting space on our end. :whistling:

At this point, I have everyone's global limits set to 5 mb apiece for photo uploads in order to help conserve hosting space. If you find that you're running out of space, you need to either clean out your uploaded photos and/or resize your images so they're smaller.
Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

#2 keporter

keporter

keporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 08:11 PM

Mandy,
Why isn't this a problem on any other message board I visit and post on (8). Nine if you count KBAF. I don't understand!!!!!! If this is the case then why would people want to come here. This is a subject Arda, Kathye, Cathy,Kari and I talked about before. People want to see the dogs at different stages of growing up, If we have to delete them periodically what good is that.

#3 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 08:19 PM

I'll change it back to unlimited, then, and we'll cross any hosting problems we have when the time comes.
Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

#4 keporter

keporter

keporter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,331 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 08:22 PM

Mandy,
Is there a way of adding more memory /bandwith? I was talking with someone at work and they said just add-on. I also e-mailed one of the other message boards and they said the same thing, something about adding on. I know didly squat about this, the only things I have learned is by trying it or talking with a couple computer sav co-workers.

#5 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 08:31 PM

I've changed members global limits back to unlimmited.

I know that adding more space would be a remedy to this. The bandwidth isn't the problem, it's the actual hosting space we have available. I have to find out how much an upgrading in the hosting package will cost.

#6 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 08:49 PM

...if we had our own dedicated hosting server, one that was strictly used for hosting our website, discussion forum, etc., circumstances would be different--we wouldn't have to worry about how much space we have available. Such a thing could cost anywhere from $120-$300 a month for a purchased dedicated server hosting plan, and that's not something I can afford to pay for out of pocket, nor can I afford, or have the know-how, to purchase/manage our own server. At this point in time, we're at the mercy of our hosting company with regard to how much space they have to offer.

#7 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 08:57 PM

...if we had our own dedicated hosting server, one that was strictly used for hosting our website, discussion forum, etc., circumstances would be different--we wouldn't have to worry about how much space we have available.  Such a thing could cost anywhere from $120-$300 a month for a purchased dedicated server hosting plan, and that's not something I can afford to pay for out of pocket, nor can I afford, or have the know-how, to purchase/manage our own server.  At this point in time, we're at the mercy of our hosting company with regard to how much space they have to offer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Mandy, some of the problem is people like ME who just got a digital camera and I was unaware that the file size was too large. Let me go and delete my old pictures. My dogs aren't growing up, they are growing OLD! I just post them for grins and so that others can have something to look at for that day anyway.

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#8 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 09:16 PM

Photos can be resized using any program, I use MS Paint because it's faster to start up than Photoshop. :whistling: Plus - the thumbnails open into a new window and the new window doesn't show the photo actual size anyway.

I know on the New Beetle forum we donated to help cover the cost of the server space....
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

SCD's Shooting Star "Stella" - We will work on titles. :)
Vixenvale Kingston's Warren - Kingston (2006-2017)
SCD's Black Tie Affair "Tux" - PCD, CGN, CGC (2004-2015)
Can CH Jimary Jack's Are High "Jack" (Pug) - PCD

#9 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 03 May 2005 - 09:46 PM

okay, I would say my new camera was a big part of the problem. You should have plenty of space now that I've deleted my pictures. Sorry about that. I know next to NOTHING about computers or cameras so this won't be the last time I'll do something stupid. :whistling:

Jane

ps. I just found the place under "my controls" where it gives me the info about attachments. I went to each picture and manually edited it before I found this. I didn't know I could just click on the part for managing attachments and delete from there. Doubleduh

Edited by dobeluvr, 03 May 2005 - 10:19 PM.

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#10 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 07:51 AM

One other alternative is to post your pics in Kodakgallery. I realize that some of them have to posted in the actual message to make sense but some could probably be offloaded there...

I created an account out there for us some time ago to post pics of the fosters I had, kennel shots, Expo, etc... Then all you would have to do is post the link to your particular album to view the pictures.... Any one you invite can view the pictures (with or without an ID) and they can see the pics and only THAT album.

You can create your own ID (they're free) or we can use the group's one. I don't want to post the ID and password to the account in the "general world" so how would we like to handle??? Volunteer group? Let me know...

Joni
Emmalin Jane, George, Clyde, and Rascal (meow & hiss)
From the Bridge - Cosmo (12/2005), Katie (7/2006), Mr. Munchkin (11/2008), Bella DSA, CGC (1/2009), Skitter DSA (12/2010), Beau (11/2014), and Calvin (6/2017)

"The world of the generous gets larger and larger... The on who blesses other is abundantly blessed; those who help other are helped." Proverbs 11:24-25

"They that sow in tears shall reap in joy" Psalms 126:5

#11 KellyB

KellyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 07:55 AM

Let me check with my husband he hosts his own website. Maybe he can help out?
Dakota and Myles's Mom

#12 KellyB

KellyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 08:14 AM

Hello all. My name is Kori I am Kelly's husband. It seems you are having problems with server size limits for web hosting. I do not know you current server size but, there are numerous companies out there that can be used with enormous gigs of data allowed.

I am hosting about 5 different sites right now. My smallest server size is 1 gig and my biggest is 10 gig. My most expensive is 7.77 a month if you pay one year in advance. Another is 4.95 a month for one year paid in advance and it is a 5 gig server. Sites are extremely easy to move rathert they are phpbb, php-nuke, or just plain html code.

You can point your domain name to these site using the dns name server settings or they usually include a new name in the price. These are all what is called shared hosting. I have never had a crash and one recently added a free month due to some sevrer lag issues. So they all stand behind what they say.

If you are interested in one of these let me know and I can help get you there and even help change the site to their servers. This is something I doo all the time. Just let kelly know and I wil help.

Kori Bookman
Dakota and Myles's Mom

#13 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 10:10 AM

Hello all. My name is Kori I am Kelly's husband. It seems you are having problems with server size limits for web hosting. I do not know you current server size but, there are numerous companies out there that can be used with enormous gigs of data allowed.

I am hosting about 5 different sites right now. My smallest server size is 1 gig and my biggest is 10 gig. My most expensive is 7.77 a month if you pay one year in advance. Another is 4.95 a month for one year paid in advance and it is a 5 gig server. Sites are extremely easy to move rathert they are phpbb, php-nuke, or just plain html code.

You can point your domain name to these site using the dns name server settings or they usually include a new name in the price. These are all what is called shared hosting. I have never had a crash and one recently added a free month due to some sevrer lag issues. So they all stand behind what they say.

If you are interested in one of these let me know and I can help get you there and even help change the site to their servers. This is something I doo all the time. Just let kelly know and I wil help.

Kori Bookman

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Kori!

Thanks for responding! Yes, I'd love to know more about alternative site hosting that allows for more space. We're current on a plan that only offers 200 mb of space and I pay $5.95 a month for it. My biggest fear with changing host servers is that we'll lose the posts here on the forum...can you help us move to a new host server if we find one that better suits our needs without this happening? I could probably figure it out on my own, but the experience of a seasoned site mover would be much appreciated! :stuart:

I can easily move our main web site, to inculde pointing our URL to a new DNS...that's a piece-o-cake! :whistling: I've just never moved a forum before without screwing the whole darn thing up!! ;)

Mandy

#14 mihalik1413

mihalik1413

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 11:05 AM

I have been using image shack to host my pictures. There are other sites as well as some of you have mentioned.

Larry

#15 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 11:31 AM

One other alternative is to post your pics in Kodakgallery.? I realize that some of them have to posted in the actual message to make sense but some could probably be offloaded there...

I created an account out there for us some time ago to post pics of the fosters I had, kennel shots, Expo, etc...? Then all you would have to do is post the link to your particular album to view the pictures....? Any one you invite can view the pictures (with or without an ID) and they can see the pics and only THAT album.

You can create your own ID (they're free) or we can use the group's one.? I don't want to post the ID and password to the account in the "general world" so how would we like to handle???? Volunteer group?? Let me know...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A lot of those photo hosting sites will allow you to remote link to your photos for posting purposes on other sites. For example, by simply typing:

[ img]http://www.wheremyphotois.com[/img] (**minus the space before the first img)

...you can have a photo show up in your post here on the forum, even though it's located on another server, so it's not necessarily imperative that you post only the link to your entire photo album. Individual photos can be posted as well. :whistling:

Some free photo hosting sites out there are:

snapfish.com
shutterfly.com
villagephotos.com
photobucket.com

#16 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 11:48 AM

This whole topic just made my brain bleed...
I have no idea what you guys are talking about... HA

#17 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 12:42 PM

This whole topic just made my brain bleed...
I have no idea what you guys are talking about... HA

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well then between the two of us, Jen, we should be able to tranfuse the next traffic victim.

Near as I can figure they are talking about us going to ANOTHER website, signing up for some kind of account there, downloading our pictures on THAT site and then doing some kind of "copy" "paste" thing to get the pics to show up here. Like the smileys are done. You go to the smiley site, pick one you like, highlight the writing to the left of the smiley, right click and scroll down to "copy", copy the writing with a left click, go back to the Second Chance site to your post. Make sure the cursor is blinking in the box (can do this with a left click in the box), right click again, scroll down to "paste", left click to paste it. So what you are going to see in YOUR box is an url, but what is going to show up is a picture of a smiley. I know that this sounds awfully complicated, but print this out and follow it step by step and you will see that it's not that hard to do. Unless I wrote it wrong. See ....

Posted Image

But going to another site and registering and ending up with more spam than I already get ... who knows.

Posted Image
Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

*bark?*

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

#18 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 01:25 PM

Well then between the two of us, Jen, we should be able to tranfuse the next traffic victim.

Near as I can figure they are talking about us going to ANOTHER website, signing up for some kind of account there, downloading our pictures on THAT site and then doing some kind of "copy" "paste" thing to get the pics to show up here.  Like the smileys are done.  You go to the smiley site, pick one you like, highlight the writing to the left of the smiley, right click and scroll down to "copy", copy the writing with a left click,  go back to the Second Chance site to your post. Make sure the cursor is blinking in the box (can do this with a left click in the box), right click again, scroll down to "paste", left click to paste it.  So what you are going to see in YOUR box is an url, but what is going to show up is a picture of a smiley.  I know that this sounds awfully complicated, but print this out and follow it step by step and you will see that it's not that hard to do. Unless I wrote it wrong. See ....

Posted Image

But going to another site and registering and ending up with more spam than I already get ... who knows.

Posted Image
Jane

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not saying it's something that everyone HAS to do...it's just another option.

#19 KellyB

KellyB

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,140 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 01:26 PM

Hi Mandy

Kori is at work right now he gets home around 5pm your time so I have him jump on and read what you posted so he can help out.

Kelly
Dakota and Myles's Mom

#20 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 04 May 2005 - 01:28 PM

Hi Mandy

Kori is at work right now he gets home around 5pm your time so I have him jump on and read what you posted so he can help out.

Kelly

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great, Kelly...thanks!! :whistling:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users