Photo

Belle needs your prayers and good thoughts...

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#41 ella

ella

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 03:35 PM

I am so glad that Belle is doing so good. I'm still keeping her in my prayers. keep us posted.
Ella - mother of Princess and Bonnie Blue

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
-Josh Billings

#42 Pam

Pam

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 09:18 PM

;) YAAY! That's great to hear, Mandy. Keep us posted, please.

#43 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 10:24 PM

The worst part is yet to come. After the fear of loosing her is over and she is recovered......the fear and anger of wanting to kill a vet will take over. I hav that happen to one of my show dogs a million years ago. An emergency vet that wasn't my normal vet. She will be ok. She is a Dobe. Now the vet....I don't like his chances.
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#44 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 08:58 PM

Belle's still hanging in there and doing better than anyone ever imagined. :clover: Her doctor closed her up today. If she isn't running a fever tomorrow, she'll be able to come home! :clover: She isn't 100% out of the woods yet with the infection. She'll continue to be on some heavy duty antibiotics for a while. She did have quite a few adhesions which may potentially cause problems down the road, unfortunately. :clover: But she's doing good now and we can only hope and pray for the best in her future. Can't wait to see her!!! :clover: ;)

The vet that left the surgical sponge in her is actually not an emergency vet. We don't have any ermergency vet clinics here, so our local vets work on an emergency rotation schedule. Needless to say, I will NEVER recommend his services to anyone!! :clover:
Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

#45 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 09:05 PM

That is GREAT news Mandy! :clover:

You have all been thought of more often than you know, and we will continue to send prayers your way. ;)

The Gray family
<span style='color:green'>"<span style='font-family:Optima'>The dog has seldom been succesful in pulling man up to its level of sagacity, but man has frequently dragged the dog down to his" </span>James Thurber</span>

#46 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 10:16 AM

We picked Belle up Saturday afternoon and she's doing great! Looks like heck (she lost nine pounds she couldn't afford to lose and has bald patches where bandages had been) but is otherwise happy, eating well and pooping just fine as well. ;) She has moments where she's a bit sore/uncomfortable, but that's to be expected for a while.

I'm so happy to have my little girl back. I soooo missed her happy spins at dinner time and her sloppy, sneaky kisses and hugs. :clover:
Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably, and never regret anything that made you smile.

#47 Heather M

Heather M

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 10:59 AM

WONDERFULl and AMAZING!!!!

#48 dobes4ever

dobes4ever

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 827 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 12:17 PM

Great news Mandy.....Love to hear she is doing fine. ;)
Mike & Peg
Gretta
& Kloee the cat!
!

RV Innovations, LLC
RV Decks & Supplies
On-Line Store Coming Soon

#49 ella

ella

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 12:23 PM

Mandy
I am so happy that Belle is doing so great. ;)
Ella - mother of Princess and Bonnie Blue

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
-Josh Billings

#50 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 01:00 PM

Just got a call from my vet as he just received her culture results back (cultures of the junk that was in her abdomen). There were two bacteria in there causing problems, one of which is an e-coli strain that is resistant to the antibiotic she's currently on. He's putting her on another antibiotic in conjunction with the one she's on so that both bacteria types can be addressed. I'm to monitor her for a fever....so far so good, though! ;)

#51 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 01:05 PM

Double whammy!!! Mandy, if you're not already give the girl some good probotics (acidopholus) or yogurt. Gotta get the "good" bacteria back in the digestive tract!!!

I know it's very relieving for you to have her bouncing back so quickly!!! Us to, even if it is second hand!!! We all hold our breaths each time we see you've posted hoping it it good news!!!

Huggs and dober-kisses from the crew here!!! Keep up the good work ladies (and the guys too, supporting you girls)!!!

Joni
Emmalin Jane, George, Clyde, and Rascal (meow & hiss)
From the Bridge - Cosmo (12/2005), Katie (7/2006), Mr. Munchkin (11/2008), Bella DSA, CGC (1/2009), Skitter DSA (12/2010), Beau (11/2014), and Calvin (6/2017)

"The world of the generous gets larger and larger... The on who blesses other is abundantly blessed; those who help other are helped." Proverbs 11:24-25

"They that sow in tears shall reap in joy" Psalms 126:5

#52 aanderson

aanderson

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 03:30 PM

Mandy,

Glad to hear Belle is on the mend! ;)

Take Care,
Allison

#53 Pam

Pam

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,187 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 06:01 PM

YAAAY! ;)

#54 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 09:04 PM

Mandy -

So good to hear Belle is on the mend. Good thing she has a great mom to keep a close eye on her progress. We're crossing all our crossable parts that the new antibiotic works.

Linda

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ... I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man.
-------------------------
Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Sugar Bear 06/18/2017
Shadow a/k/a Little Snoopy
SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)
Greta Von Reiman (1972-1984)

#55 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 01:39 PM

Mandy, I am SO happy to hear that Belle is home, and doing well!!! ;)
Sending lots of love your way!!! :clover:

Edited by Jennymay, 24 January 2006 - 01:39 PM.

#56 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:24 PM

Mandy, my thoughts are with Belle as she goes through this necessary time of healing. I hope you are doing okay too. It's hard to watch your dog hurt like that. Take care of yourself as well.

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#57 mihalik1413

mihalik1413

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 04:57 PM

Mandy,
Glad to hear Belle is doing better. I hope you are too. ;)

Larry

#58 Javaluva

Javaluva

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,948 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 05:45 PM

It is with heavy heart that I sit here today, knowing that I may have a decision to make in the very near future that no one ever wishes to have to make...the decision to let their dog, their friend, go to a better place.

We knew Belle would have complications from sugery upon surgery, but how severe, we weren't sure. In the following weeks after her last surgery and recovery from infection, she's been having vommitting episodes, slowly wasting away to nothing with each one as her body has no way to nourish itself. Every ounce she's gained back after recovering from surgery, she loses again to an episode of vommitting and fasting to allow her gastrointestinal tract to settle down. Despite feeding her small amounts of food as often as I can throughout each day, her GI tract can't keep up with digestion and she eventually gets sick, her belly overflowing with food her intestines can't process. With all of the adhesions from previous surgeries, peristalsis has been slowed to a turtle's pace, her food only able to creep through her system rather than process smoothly and quickly. Because of the adhesions, things can't stretch as they normally would to allow the passage of gas and food. She's becoming increasingly uncomfortable with pain as her body tries to digest the bits and pieces it can. She's in such a low energy state, her hair hasn't even begun to grow back from the numerous times she was shaved in preparation for surgery.

She's currently on a diet used for dogs with cancer. It's a very high fat food, highly dense in nutrients designed to help keep weight on and nourish a body in a compromised state. She's being fed 1/2 a can of the food along with 1/2 cup of low residue kibble every six hours. It's still too much for her system to handle...the vommitting begins after only three feedings. My only option now to help her keep food down is to lessen the amount she's eating to allow her body time to process it. At what point does it become too little for her and she begins to slowly starve to death?

I've slept with her, held her and soothed her for the past three days to make sure she eats on time and has some comfort in her times of pain. X-rays and palpation show no blockages, only a ball of intestines reduced to very limmitted peristalsis and stretchability because of adhesions.

I've spent over $6,000 trying to save Belle. Money has not been an object in my efforts, even though it's been tough trying to afford it. Further surgeries will only offer temporary relief to Belle's pain and limmitted digestion...the adhesions will come back, only worse for each subsequent surgery. At what point does one say no to something that will offer welcomed temporary relief? If what's been done so far hasn't killed her, there will be a time when surgery to help relieve her will. Knowing that, should I opt for another surgery with the hope that she'll live a bit longer? Is that selfish of me to even consider?

I love Belle with all of my heart. She is a wonderful companion, not only to me and my family, but to my other three dogs as well. My options at this point are to either find an amount of food Belle is able to digest without causing her to vommit excess her body isn't able to handle, or to have another sugery to help free things up a bit to allow for more normal digestion (which is only a temporary fix). I think my choice is obvious...I'll try my hardest to find an amount of food her body can handle. The only downfall is that it may not be enough to keep her thriving, at which point, she'll continue to waste away until she slowly dies of starvation. It's going to be a delicate balancing act for a while.

I'm worn out from getting up all hours of the night to care for Belle and my son, working a full-time job and handling freelance work and other projects. I'm tired....but sleep when I can because I can't give up.

#59 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 06:11 PM

Oh, Mandy, I'm so sorry to read this. I feel for you, your family, and of course Belle....
When BJ was sick, my vet told me to make him eggs...anyway, scrambled, whatever. She told me that they are high in protein, and would help keep his energy levels higher than most foods. I don't know what to say, but maybe this could be an option for Belle???

You are all in my thoughts and prayers....:D I'm wishing and praying for the best....

Edited by Jennymay, 12 February 2006 - 06:11 PM.

#60 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 12 February 2006 - 06:48 PM

Mandy -

I'm so sorry to hear about Belle. I know how helpless you must feel. You and Belle will be in my thoughts and prayers: that her system rallies; and, that you can get some much-needed sleep.

Linda

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ... I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man.
-------------------------
Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Sugar Bear 06/18/2017
Shadow a/k/a Little Snoopy
SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)
Greta Von Reiman (1972-1984)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users