191 replies to this topic

#21 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 06:38 AM

From what I understand - you want one animal source and one carb source.  I.e. Salmon & Potatoe (no rice, corn, wheat, or other animal protein - lamb, chicken, beef, etc.)  That way you'll know if it's food related. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Stef - Arda suggested the salmon and sweet potatoe food too. I'm going to try to find some today. Thanks!
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#22 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 03:04 PM

I didn't find the potato and salmon but I did find potato and duck. It's Dick Van Patten's Natural Balance Allergy Formula.

Holy geez......I measured out 3 cups and she scarfed down 2 right away. I guess she likes it. :D
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#23 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 08:38 PM

They LOVE that Dick Van Patten's stuff. My rats are on the vegetarian formula. I switched them to another brand - but they weren't at all impressed. The stuff even smells good to me. :D

I'm glad you found an allergy food. Let us know how she does.

Stef
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

SCD's Shooting Star "Stella" - We will work on titles. :)
Vixenvale Kingston's Warren - Kingston (2006-2017)
SCD's Black Tie Affair "Tux" - PCD, CGN, CGC (2004-2015)
Can CH Jimary Jack's Are High "Jack" (Pug) - PCD

#24 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 31 July 2005 - 09:25 PM

Arda - If Cocoa has a food allergy, you said that I should start to see changes right away. Approximately how long is "right away?" One week, a month???

-Arda Barber

#25 Kari

Kari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 07:00 PM

Cheryl I found the Dick Van Patten sweet potatoe and fish at K-9's on mound rd. for a 28 lb bag it was 37.99 , after buying that no extra bon bons!!! :D :D
Smile well and often, it makes people wonder what you've been up to." -- Satchel Paige

#26 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 08:34 PM

Cheryl; Just sit back and wait. Don't be so darn impatient.
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#27 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 10:20 PM

Cheryl I found the Dick Van Patten sweet potatoe and fish at K-9's on mound rd. for a 28 lb bag it was 37.99 , after buying that no extra bon bons!!! :D  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's a pretty good price considering I paid 24 dollars for a 17 pound bag. Now I know where to shop when I run out and it's close to my work - double bonus! Thanks Kari!

-Arda Barber

#28 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 02 August 2005 - 10:43 PM

Cheryl;  Just sit back and wait.  Don't be so darn impatient.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

OK Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image !!!

-Arda Barber

#29 ella

ella

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,691 posts

Posted 03 August 2005 - 03:44 PM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Ella
Ella - mother of Princess and Bonnie Blue

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than he loves himself.
-Josh Billings

#30 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 08:21 PM

Are there any treats out there for dogs with possible food allergies? I feel terribly guily eating a hot dog in front of Cocoa cause she loooooveeees em!

Edited by CAB, 16 August 2005 - 08:34 PM.

-Arda Barber

#31 Kari

Kari

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,590 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 08:34 PM

What about carrots ? I have to tell you something funny!! I was out scooping up poop at my house , I do it twice a day and the poop was orange , I start to panic thinking something is wrong with my dogs ! I get into the house and then it hit me ! Carrots!!! duh :cry:
Smile well and often, it makes people wonder what you've been up to." -- Satchel Paige

#32 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 08:35 PM

What about carrots ? I have to tell you something funny!! I was out scooping up poop at my house , I do it twice a day and the poop was orange , I start to panic thinking something is wrong with my dogs ! I get into the house and then it hit me ! Carrots!!! duh :cry:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:hug: That was a good one Kari!

-Arda Barber

#33 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 08:56 PM

Carrots and ice cubes are excellent treats. My favorite dog treat is chicken livers in SMALL doses. An old vet I used to fly my dogs to in Mount Pleasant, SC, used to say "Liver stimulates the liver" We also used them in the show ring. Cook the darn things and bake them dry. Small pieces. It also stimulates the dark colors in the reds that I like to see. As almost every one saw....most of our dogs are overweight by the breed standards. Watch those temptations to over feed them with heavy calories. Fill them up with carrots. Heavy dogs are like heavy people. Not enough stamina and a lazy additude. They do not move freely. A Dobe should flow when it's performing. That flow shows the dog knows what he's doing and he knows he is the best. You can't beat that kind of an attitude. Gladys is a perfect example of a young, beautiful dog that isn't sure of itself. When she's done here she will have some confidence it just knowing what to do.

#34 Heather M

Heather M

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 08:58 PM

Carrots are what I thought of first too. I buy those prewashed baby carrots. Whenever I grap some out of the frig and start muching them my dogs come running!

#35 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:01 PM

I'll try the carrots. I eat them all the time. Cocoa already loves ice cubes!

Edited by CAB, 16 August 2005 - 09:03 PM.

-Arda Barber

#36 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:21 PM

Fill them up with carrots. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

14 baby-cut carrots = 35 calories! :cry:

-Arda Barber

#37 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 16 August 2005 - 09:22 PM

I'll try the carrots. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

She likey, she likey! :cry:

-Arda Barber

#38 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 07:49 AM

Mine LOVE carrots, and every other fruit and veggie. *laughing*

I also use liver. I cook it on the BBQ because I can't STAND the smell of it. It's really cheap to buy - cook it really well and chop it up into small pieces. They LOVE it.

Edited by Stef, 17 August 2005 - 07:50 AM.

"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

SCD's Shooting Star "Stella" - We will work on titles. :)
Vixenvale Kingston's Warren - Kingston (2006-2017)
SCD's Black Tie Affair "Tux" - PCD, CGN, CGC (2004-2015)
Can CH Jimary Jack's Are High "Jack" (Pug) - PCD

#39 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 07:59 AM

I'm gonna have to try some of those chicken livers. The lady across the street from me uses them too. She breeds and shows Brittanys. Like Arda said, given in small doses, it's great in the ring and for training purposes. :hug: I'd like to see what it does for Cocoa's coat. She's got some nice coloring but......I'd like to see if I can make it even more of a darker chocolate brown, :cry: I mean red!

-Arda Barber

#40 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 17 August 2005 - 09:49 AM

The correct term is "mahogony". The darker the red or mahogony the better. With deep rust markings. For whatever reason, I am seeing very faded, almost tan markings all over the Dobe world. Dark is best. The intent was to not be able to see the dog at night. It was a working guard dog. Oh, how we forget the intent of the breed. Breaks a persons heart. Look at how many of those dogs tryied to run into never never land at the umbrella, and the advancer at the WAE trials. Here is where I give up. I had a white male named GB(Good Boy). He'd kill you if you came at me with a cane, a whip, or even a string. Yet he was white (bad news). And yet he would observe the umbrella with "what is it". All of that with NO training. We had a trainer out here checking dogs for protection work. When he was all done.....Becki brought GB out and asked him to please test him. Untrained he took Becki off her feet when the trainer went at me with a rag. He tried to buy my best friend. I was so proud of "MY white knight". And he was white. And I was a breeder. I don't understand the world but I did understand GB and would give anything to have him back at my side. HE was a DOBERMANN in every way but his color.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users