3 replies to this topic

#1 gerty's mom

gerty's mom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 06:28 PM

Hi Arda,

I adopted my dobe from you five years ago on Aug 6.  She is a Blue dobe, you called her Beezum.  She is the best

dobe I have had.  She is so very loving and sweet.  I just love her.  Being a Blue dobe she is having problems with Alopecia.

In your experience with dobes,  do you know if there is anything I can do for her?  My vet has me giving her Melatonin during the

winter months.  Her hair from the front shoulders down her back is very thin, and in some spots down to the skin.  I even tried 

Coconut Oil on her food, but nothing seems to help.

Thank You

Cheryl

Gerty's mom aka. Beezum

#2 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 06:46 PM

I use 2 - 10mg Melatonin 2 X daily till I get enough cover then I back it down.  1 10mg 2 daily is my usual.  I have no idea why it works, it just does.  Have 3 blues and 1 fawn in here right now.  They all came in bald.  They all look real good now.  I prefer the wheat germ oil to the coconut oil.  1/4 teaspoon in their food.

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#3 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 07:04 PM

Has she been checked for low thyroid?  That can cause hair-thinning in any color Dobe, but when they are a dilute to start with, it could make the coat extra thin.

Currently part of my treasured family and helping to make life fun and busy:

Hunter, the chocolate Labradeagle (or Beaglador)

Terra, the tall, gorgeous red Doberwoman

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

#4 gerty's mom

gerty's mom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 02:45 PM

Hi Arda,

Thank you.  I will start the Melatonin today.  The vet only had me give it to her Oct thru March,  My poor baby is loosing her

hair like crazy.  I'm glad to hear this will work.

Cheryl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users