14 replies to this topic

#1 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 09:56 AM

This is a great dane web-site but lists about cardio and the Doberman is mentioned through out the article.

http://www.sunstrike...lth_cardio.html
<span style='color:green'>"<span style='font-family:Optima'>The dog has seldom been succesful in pulling man up to its level of sagacity, but man has frequently dragged the dog down to his" </span>James Thurber</span>

#2 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 12:00 PM

Boxers have the same kind of problems as the Dobes have. They run neck and neck in the cardio department.
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#3 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 12:13 PM

Speaking of which, my mum's neighbour has a boxer, 2 years old. Last week it was playing outside with the kids, started going nuts for no reason...they didn't realize he was in the midst of a heart attack. He just passed away right then and there, with no prior indication of any health problems....so sad....

Edited by Jennymay, 04 November 2005 - 12:13 PM.

#4 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 12:18 PM

Jenny that is sad. so young :)

What's worse is there is no cure.. :)

Cath
<span style='color:green'>"<span style='font-family:Optima'>The dog has seldom been succesful in pulling man up to its level of sagacity, but man has frequently dragged the dog down to his" </span>James Thurber</span>

#5 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 12:32 PM

He just passed away right then and there, with no prior indication of any health problems....so sad....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Unfortunately, sudden death is the first and only symptom. This is what happened to Niko. I had no clue what was going on. It all happened so fast. Death/dying never even crossed my mind.

Sudden death (death within 5 minutes of onset of visible symptoms) is the first and only physical sign in 17% of the Dobermans with DCM.

At least 28% of all apparently normal Dobermans will develop DCM.

Edited by CAB, 04 November 2005 - 12:43 PM.

The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#6 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 04 November 2005 - 12:40 PM

I know....I felt so much sadness for those kids and the mother, watching their dog just pass away SO young, and SO suddenly. He was a gorgeous boxer, too, just beautiful, with a fantastic demeanor. And, of course, felt for the dog, who was just beginning to enjoy life as an adult with his family..... :)

#7 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 01:28 PM

Administrator

Group: Admin
Member No.: 1

The same thing happened to our Raven a few years back. This is her memorial from the KBAF site. We never even realized anything was wrong :) Cardiomyopathy has to be the worst thing to happen to our treasured dobes...we don't even see it coming and it doesn't give us any time to say goodbye.

We are writing with tears and still in shock at the loss of Raven. On Monday afternoon, she layed down in the grass after retrieving her ball, put her head on her paws and went to sleep, forever. We tried everything possible; I gave her CPR for what seemed like forever. She never woke up. Our vet thinks she went into a cardiac arrythmia, a fatal, irregular heartbeat and then her heart just stopped. She never showed any sign of distress. Just an hour earlier she was shaking her ball in front of little Jessie Powell making him belly laugh.
Raven came to us through Second Chance Dobes rescue when she was 4 1/2 yrs old after her parents divorced. She had never been out of her backyard and never been to an obedience class before she came to us. We had her for only 3 months when she received her "canine good citizen" award. She was a perfect example of the doberman breed.
She is now buried next to Tango under the apple trees with her beat up soccer ball, her most prized treasure. Think of her when the hot air balloons fly over our neighborhood. Remember how she would run through everyone's yard barking like a fool, protecting us from those evil balls in the sky.
We'll be missing her...

The Allens

Attached Image

--------------------

One Life At a time We can make a Difference! Rescue Animals Adopters Forum
Please spay and neuter your pets weird friends and relatives

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:
We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare, and the love we can spare. And, in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

#8 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 04:18 PM

This is why Tux is part of the Cardio study in Guelph. I posted about it over the summer. You can be part of it remotely and use a Holter monitor once a year - or you can drive to Guelph to be present for the ultrasound and other tests they run on the dogs.

Sean's dobe TJ died of Cardio. Sean found him in the kitchen. It was very sudden and very traumatic for Sean.

They are still looking for dogs for the study - if anyone is interested.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

SCD's Shooting Star "Stella" - We will work on titles. :)
Vixenvale Kingston's Warren - Kingston (2006-2017)
SCD's Black Tie Affair "Tux" - PCD, CGN, CGC (2004-2015)
Can CH Jimary Jack's Are High "Jack" (Pug) - PCD

#9 Cathy

Cathy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,057 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 04:52 PM

Very sad... so very sad.

I have been doing alot of research on this .....Some cases are detectable but .......some no warniing signs .....there is no cure. Just prolongment of the inevatible.

If you read the attached website. Doodgge is at the stage where his body is producing sodium. Quote from vet "on a scale of 1-6 Doodg is at a 2 1/2 to 3"

I feel so bad that this affects so many and in this day and age you would think there would be a cure.

All I can say is ... LOVE THEM >LOVE THEM LOVE THEM! None of us know when the time will come and all we can do is make their days the best .

Their last thoughts should always be happy memories.

Cath

#10 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 07:35 PM

Their last thoughts should always be happy memories.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I gave Niko LIFE, a LIFE with no regrets. I did everything for that dog that I wanted to do. The strange thing though is that I was given signals that she was leaving me soon, but it didn't make sense until after she passed. And I am not talking about signs nor symptoms of illness. She died a happy girl, and she waited until we returned from doing her favorite thing, which was walking.
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#11 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 07:39 PM

I have been doing alot of research on this .....Some cases are detectable but .......some no warniing signs .....there is no cure. Just prolongment of the inevatible.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My friend Susan knew her Dobe Conan had cardio. The day she took him in to put him down, he died on his own, just before the doc came into the room. She said it was a horrible thing to have to live with.

-Arda Barber

#12 Eric D

Eric D

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 05 November 2005 - 08:39 PM

Cardio is such a frustrating dieses. :) At the young age of 4 it took my dobe Wes. What a heart breaker. I took Wes in for his normal checkup and the vet after lessoning to Wes’s heart said he wanted to run an AKG right away. After the test he informed me Wes had a week or two at best. He lasted one.

I truly hope that they find what ever it is that causes cardio and find a way to stop it. I still have a fear that Levi might face this one day. The only good thing about having this fear, I try to pay as much attention to Levi as I can, not knowing what may happen tomorrow. :)

#13 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 07:14 AM

You're right Eric - we need to cherish every minute we have with them. :)
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

#14 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 06 November 2005 - 07:17 AM

http://www.secondcha...=1062&hl=cardio

That is the link to the study. You don't need to be a Canuck to take part in it - but you do need to make a lifetime committment. (The dog is shaved for the holter study and I believe for the ultrasound - so if you're showing conformation timing may be important. :) )

#15 LuvmydobeApollo

LuvmydobeApollo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 867 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 01:47 PM

:P
There are symptoms of DCM... not only just sudden death, unfortunatley by the time you notice symptoms, its almost too late. My dober-love Apollo had it. He was diagnosed in may of 04 and gone Oct5, 2004. I noticed that he was breathing deeply, not really having any trouble,, just real deep breaths. I took him in to my clinic and we did xrays that revealed a horrible looking mess in his chest. not too mention a large heart. One of our vets thought it was a fungal infection in the lungs, we were going to do a tracheal wash to see what it revealed. Well, my wonderful vet had the insight to contact the cardiologist before we did this to get her input (Dr. Renee Rieppe) She had me bring him in within the hour to have an EKG and ultrasound done. :D They kept him for 4 days,, he had tons of fluid, beginning congestive heart failure, all due to DCM. I left my best friend in the whole world with them that night. He recovered from that bout. Dr. Reippe said he could live a few weeks, months, and maybe even years. He was on tons of medications, we went back to her every week for EKGs and ultrasounds. He did really well until Oct. 10/4/05 he started breathing heavy, i brought him in and we did xrays and lasix injections. He seemed ok, i was to see dr. reippe the next day if he didnt come around. Well, he was fine that morning. I took him to work with me and the kennel girl came and told me he vomitted all over. I took him outside to potty. His belly was growing by the moment,,,,,,, he bloated. ( maybe due to all the air he was swallowing trying to breath....) anyway... as i sobbed over him... my first thought was to euthanize him right then. I called Dr. Rieppe and she told me i could do that, or would i always ask myself if i should have tried to unbloat him??!! well, with that in mind, i kissed him, told him how much i loved him, and put him on the table for surgery. Surprise, surprise, his heart couldnt take it and it stopped. My vet did CPR... the next step was to crack his chest and continue cpr.. i couldnt do it. SO, the most beautiful friend in my life crossed the bridge right there in front of me...... My heart died with him that day.... He was so much more than a pet, he was my angel.
Anyway,,, just be in tune with your dogs,, watch for any ANY little sign of anything out of sorts and run to the vet, dont walk.
So now i have Ms. Eva, an SCD darling!
Love,
Sharen and Eva :stuart:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users