11 replies to this topic

#1 mihalik1413

mihalik1413

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 08:39 PM

Overweight Dogs: When is a dog considered fat?
By Holly Frisby, DVM

Link to the article

Veterinarians often use a 9 point scoring system to evaluate the body condition of pets. A point value of 1 means the dog or cat is extremely thin to the point of emaciation. A score of 9 means the pet is grossly overweight. And like Goldilocks and the three bears, a score of 5 is 'just right.' To determine body score, there are several specific areas of the dog or cat we look at. Remember, these are guidelines. A Greyhound with a score of 5 is still going to be thinner than a Bulldog with the same score. Find out how you can determine your pet's body score.

To perform the rating, we first feel the pet's ribs. We should be able to quite easily feel the ribs. There should be a slight amount of fat over them, but each rib should be distinct. If you can see the ribs, the pet is too thin. If you can not feel them at all, the pet is very overweight.

Second, check the area near the base of the tail. There should be a slight fat covering over this area and it should feel smooth. If the bones protrude, the pet is too thin; if you can not feel any bones at all, the pet is very overweight.
advertisement

Third, feel other bony prominences on the pet's body such as the spine, shoulders, and hips. Again, you should be able to feel a small amount of fat over these areas. If these bones are easily felt or visible, the dog or cat is too thin. If you can not feel the bones beneath the layer of fat, the animal is obviously overweight.

Fourth, look at your pet from above. The animal should have a definite waist behind the ribs. If the waist is extreme, or again, bony prominences are visible, the animal is too thin. If there is no waist, or worse yet, the area between the ribs and hips is wider than the hips or ribs, the dog or cat is grossly overweight.

Fifth, look at the pet from the side. Dogs and cats should have an abdominal tuck, i.e., the area behind the ribs should be smaller in diameter than the chest. This can vary a lot between breeds. Irish Setters and Greyhounds, for instance, appear to have a much more distinct abdominal tuck since they are so deep-chested. An animal who is too thin will have a very severe abdominal tuck. Overweight animals will have no abdominal tuck.

#2 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 28 June 2005 - 10:08 PM

This is really a good article!

Why am I remembering that you are supposed to see the last rib on a dobe? Did I hallucinate that or did some misguided vet tell me that? For some reason that's what I've thought for years and years. I think one of our vets might have told us that. That you should see the vague outline of the ribs.

Ack, I'm old and I forget things. The things I haven't forgotten, I've made up which is why I remember them, I think.

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

Peanut, you barked at your Dad??

It's me, Peanut, don't you recognize me?

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Look I found a 19 squeaker toy for 75% off!

*squeak* *squeak* *squeak*

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#3 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 06:12 AM

My vet agrees that you should see the last ribs on the dobes. Although, he prefers dogs thin over carrying weight and gets on everyone's case about feeding too much.

I needed this article... thanks for posting this!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

SCD's Shooting Star "Stella" - We will work on titles. :)
Vixenvale Kingston's Warren - Kingston (2006-2017)
SCD's Black Tie Affair "Tux" - PCD, CGN, CGC (2004-2015)
Can CH Jimary Jack's Are High "Jack" (Pug) - PCD

#4 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 08:59 AM

Thanks Stef! I can't tell you how many times I've believed something and can't for the life of me remember why! It's good to hear that a vet said this.

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

*bark?*

What in the world are you doing coming in the back door?  I don't know if I have ever seen you come in the back door.  I am usually with you.  How did you get to the store without me?  How did you get out of the house unnoticed?  What is going on here?????  Are we off our schedule?????    AAAAAAAAAaaaeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!??????

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

Peanut's Ponderings:  *squeak*  is music to my ears, nineteen "squeaks" will be music to theirs.

#5 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 11:54 AM

Ack, I'm old and I forget things.  The things I haven't forgotten, I've made up which is why I remember them, I think.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Jane - You're a riot!
The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#6 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 12:11 PM

This is a terrific article. It's a great benchmark to guide us in keeping our kids healthy and in good shape.

Jane, you are too funny. You're not getting old, you're getting better. Isn't that how it goes???

I wonder if that last rib goes for humans, too? :D

Linda

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ... I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man.
-------------------------
Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Sugar Bear 06/18/2017
Shadow a/k/a Little Snoopy
SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)
Greta Von Reiman (1972-1984)

#7 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 01:42 PM

I wonder if that last rib goes for humans, too?  :D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

For us humans, it's called the "waist-to-hip" ratio! :D

Edited by CAB, 29 June 2005 - 01:44 PM.

The embedded collars in his neck when we got him and he goes back and extends the gentle paw to the human race. One heck of a dog.

-Arda Barber

#8 dobeluvr

dobeluvr

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,468 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 03:51 PM

I wonder if that last rib goes for humans, too?

My ribs must show in the back because they don't show in the front.

Jane

*door opens*

*Bark*  *Bark*  *Bark*

*bark?*

*oof*

I protest.

Whadja bring me?

#9 CAB

CAB

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,359 posts

Posted 29 June 2005 - 04:13 PM

My ribs must show in the back because they don't show in the front.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Good one Jane!

-Arda Barber

#10 mihalik1413

mihalik1413

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 885 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 05:20 PM

Some similar news Canadian Style.... :thumbsup:

Canada: Our Pets Are Pudgy

Link to the article

July 7, 2005 - FAT CAT: Just like their owners, pets are increasingly turning into couch potatoes. A whopping 24% of our nation's pets are overweight, according to a survey done for Hill's Pet Nutrition Canada.

Plump pooches and fat felines have a long list of increased health risks, including reduced lifespan, increased troubles of arthritis, torn knee ligaments and high blood pressure.

The recent survey of 1,025 Canadian adults found one in three owners don't take their dog for a walk each day.

Also, almost one in two masters rarely or never followed recommended serving amounts listed on pet food packaging.

The Canadian Veterinary Medical Association suggests that to help maintain a healthy weight, a pooch needs 15 to 20 minutes of exercise at least three times a day and a cat needs that amount twice daily.

~ Courtesy of Edmonton Sun

#11 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 07 July 2005 - 09:17 PM

When is a pet too fat? When it looks like Daisy or Geezer or Ghost or Axel or SINBAD or MARCEY WOW!!!
A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#12 Jennymay

Jennymay

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 09:11 AM

Some similar news Canadian Style....  :thumbsup:

The recent survey of 1,025 Canadian adults found one in three owners don't take their dog for a walk each day.

~ Courtesy of Edmonton Sun

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh YEAH, Larry....Post the CANADIAN LAZY ARSES and their pets article....I get it now... :ermm:
:huh: :icon12:

HAHAHAHAHA

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users