41 replies to this topic

#21 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 03:13 PM

So most of these were new to me except Cesar's book - and I think I've read it but it was super cheap so I ordered it. I also pulled out Gruenig's book for good measure.

Attached Files

"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

SCD's Shooting Star "Stella" - We will work on titles. :)
Vixenvale Kingston's Warren - Kingston (2006-2017)
SCD's Black Tie Affair "Tux" - PCD, CGN, CGC (2004-2015)
Can CH Jimary Jack's Are High "Jack" (Pug) - PCD

#22 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 03 June 2015 - 03:14 PM

Oh The Other End of the Leash is a replacement for one I lent and never came back.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They don't know evil or jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace." - Milan Kundera

#23 jmnodwell

jmnodwell

Proud Foster Mom

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted 04 June 2015 - 05:56 PM

The Other End of the Leash is awesome!!! As well as the Calming Signals book by Turid!!!  Both I recommend to anyone I talk to who is even thinking about getting a dog...

Click to Calm I mentioned before is great.  Was written as she was working with her aggressive dog but everything works for non-aggressive just "excited" dogs as well...  and we all know excited can turn to aggression without proper management...

and dogscouts.org is always a good resource for positive reinforcement training information too...

Joni
Emmalin Jane, George, Clyde, and Rascal (meow & hiss)
From the Bridge - Cosmo (12/2005), Katie (7/2006), Mr. Munchkin (11/2008), Bella DSA, CGC (1/2009), Skitter DSA (12/2010), Beau (11/2014), and Calvin (6/2017)

"The world of the generous gets larger and larger... The on who blesses other is abundantly blessed; those who help other are helped." Proverbs 11:24-25

"They that sow in tears shall reap in joy" Psalms 126:5

#24 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:24 AM

Yes, several of those books pictured can be found on my own shelves. :)  I also have a few books I have picked up at garage sales and haven't had a chance to read yet.  If I feel any of them are really helpful, I'll share those, too.  I've not read "Click to Calm," but have heard good things.  It's on my list of those I would like to read someday.

I really like the "Adoptable Dog" book.  I feel it's such a great resource geared specifically to the issues we often encounter in adopting an older dog, meaning not necessarily old but anything beyond puppy stage.  I also have "Puppy Preschool" by the same authors, which is also very good.  Another puppy book I have is "How to Raise a Puppy You Can Live With."  It's been a while since I've read it but I seem to remember it being pretty helpful.

When a new dog comes into my life, I often like to drag out my books and DVDs and give myself "refresher courses."  Since each dog is such an individual, we often have issues with the new one that we didn't have with the previous one, or vice-versa.

I'm glad Joni posted about the Dog Scouts website.  I had forgotten about that, but it's another great resource for help with training and household manners.  I personally have used Dr. Overall's relaxation protocol that is explained there.  On the site, to go "Training Academy," then click on "Problem-Solving," then ""Protocol for Relaxation."  Reading through it, it sounds very lengthy and time-consuming, but I found even doing a part of it on a regular basis was helpful.  The site is filled with other very helpful, informative articles.

Stef, I can totally relate to what you mentioned about all the words Tux knew, and how easily we forget how long it took a particular dog to develop that kind of a vocabulary.  When you've had a dog for a few years, it often gets to the point where we can practically communicate with them in complete sentences.  Stella sounds like such a smart, fun girl.  She's going to be an easy-learner! 

Currently part of my treasured family and helping to make life fun and busy:

Hunter, the chocolate Labradeagle (or Beaglador)

Terra, the tall, gorgeous red Doberwoman

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

#25 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:30 AM

Another website I had almost forgotten but I think is a great resource is the ASPCA.  It takes a few clicks to get to, but the site is aspca.org, then you click on "Pet Care," then on "Dog Care."  There you will see a list of many training/health/behavior articles to choose from.

Edited by Cheri, 05 June 2015 - 07:30 AM.

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

#26 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:58 AM

I didn't think anyone ever read Gruernigs book on Dobes.  I about wore mine out.  Lila Warner had a 1st addition.  Tried to buy it off of her.  No sale.  Wonder what ever happened to it.  I need someone to read to me as I do my chores.  Always wished I could read like Sarah.  What a treasure she has.

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.

#27 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 09:17 AM

Cheri recommended these to me. :) I'm so happy to have new books. I REALLY like the Adoptable Dog book - it's a clear and extensive look at what you need to consider when adopting a dog instead of buying a puppy.

Arda - I will create a recording of the book and you can listen to it on an iPod. :) I tracked that one down and there was another that I never found (can't remember which one) but I should try again now as Amazon has almost everything available from somewhere. I feel like you told me to find that book many many years ago. :)

#28 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 02:54 PM

Just to clarify, "The Doberman Pinscher," by Philipp Gruenig is not a book I own, but it looks like a very worthy one.  I just looked to see what it's going for on the used market.  It's pretty rare (only one available on Amazon, a few more on Abebooks).  I'm seeing from about $40 to about $200.  Don't loan that one out, Stef!

I do have another very old one called "The Complete Doberman Pinscher," written by "Noted Breed Authorities."  That's where I learned about Ilena and the Seven Sires, etc., etc.

I have a couple of Doberman-specific newer books that I like.  One is "Doberman Pinschers Today," by Jimmy Richardson, who is actually British, and the book contains a lot of pictures of beautiful natural-eared Dobermans.

My other one is "The Doberman Pinscher, Brains and Beauty," by Rod Humphries and Joanna Walker.  Again, a nice book.

#29 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 02:58 PM

Do I have to say, I have them.  I'm just a little addicted to the Dobermann Pinscher.  Bad girl!  Demerits.

#30 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 03:10 PM

Arda, do you have "The World of Doberman Pinschers," by Anna Katherine Nicholas?  If so, what do you think of it?  I'm just curious.  It's available on the used market, but I've put off buying it because it is a huge, heavy book, coffee table sized, over 600 pages, and would take up a lot of valuable space on my small book shelves, so I'm just wondering if it's worth it.

#31 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 03:41 PM

Look what I found on my dog shelf!! Because everyone needs this chart. :P. Cheri - did you say you didn't have 'The Other End of the Leash?' I just found the copy I thought I lent out and will happily mail it to you. :)

#32 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 03:42 PM

Helps if you attach the file....

Attached Files

#33 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 04:06 PM

Well, that's interesting, a color inheritance chart!  I actually find the subject of genetics to be quite fascinating.  Challenging to comprehend, sometimes, but an interesting subject.

Stef, thanks so much for the offer of the book.  You're right, I don't have it, but it wasn't that long ago that I read it from the library.  Honestly, though, I need to "rehome" quite a few books to make room for new ones.  I have a tiny house, with a very small space for book shelves.  That's why I was asking Arda if that giant-sized one is worth it.

But, yeah, I love books, and DVDs, too.  I'd have a lot more of them if I had the room.  That reminds me.  I've got a lot of old VHS tapes, too, that I need to go through.  We're planning on having a garage sale later in the summer, so maybe that will help me make room for new stuff.  :D

My husband loves to read, too, but he got a Kindle a couple years ago, so now his books take up no space at all!  I don't know, I just haven't gotten into the digital readers yet.  Like I said on another thread, I'm techno-phobic.

#34 Stef

Stef

Stella and Jack's Human

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 04:52 PM

I LOVE my Kindle but I can't read non fiction on it. :( I like to be able to flip back and forth and tab things so I can find them again. I can put in electronic tabs and bookmarks but I don't find it the same.

#35 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 05 June 2015 - 07:50 PM

Yes I have the Nicholas book.  Lots of pictures of those oldies but greats.  For me it was worth having.  When I get into pedigrees I can spend days in these books just walking through time.  Before rescue I had some very solid stock.  Rescue kills a person for wanting those great pedigrees.  They all started in the same place, some just had a better start and good owners.

As to having a big house.............dumb thing to do.  I can't keep up with it and I love to fill space.  So every table in the place is full.  Every show case is full.  I'd hate to have to count all the Dobe statues or dolls or books or boxes of ashes or pictures or rocking horses.  I'm a sick old woman and I love to look at these goodies and remember when.  I'd say half of this stuff came from my brother so it was good memories. 

Now the yard is essential for having these kids.  They really use it.  And I love to watch them.  I have no idea how I would ever downsize.  Someday I suppose.

#36 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 07:32 AM

Darn you people for starting me down the book list and pedigrees.  At one time I had 16 Indigo Rock get racing around this yard.  Now I have 26, God only knows who, get thankfully running around this place.  I will repeat this one more time...........I would not trade Chaos for a single other dog, now or ever.

#37 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 03:53 PM

Okay, for some reason, I am unable to post links on the board today.  But I Googled "Doberman Indigo Rock," and found Andelane's Indigo Rock.  Is that the sire you're referring to?  He's on Dobequest, Pedigree Database, and many other sites.  Some have pictures.  Very nice-looking dog and very impressive pedigree.  He's from a time long before I got involved in Dobermans, but those names are sure familiar to me from all the research I used to do on bloodlines (well, and sometimes still do).

Yes, I've often wondered, if we could see the pedigrees of our rescue dogs, just how shocked we might actually be about who's in them.  It's true, many of them probably come from a long line of BYBs, but I'm sure there are also many that only have to go back a couple of generations for us to see some very well-known names.

#38 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 05:22 PM

Yes, Andelane's Indigo Rock.  My mother, Bless her heart, said she didn't want to go to the shows anymore to look at Dobe's butts.  I was in love with that boy.  I loved that line of dogs.

Did you ever see Dennis?  I often wonder where he came from and what he was other than a pain in the butt.  One gorgeous chuck of dog.

Omi comes out of Nibelungenring knnel:  Hilo von Nemesis out of Sara vom Klingbach

Once in a while we get the papers on some of them and then I am forced to look them up.  It's enough to make you cry.

#39 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 06:43 PM

It's been a long time since I was out to your place, but I do remember seeing Dennis.  He is indeed a gorgeous boy.  I would not be surprised to see some well-known names in his pedigree.  So Omi is a German boy?  I confess I know next to nothing about the European lines.

I admit I do enjoy learning about the history and bloodlines of our breed and I enjoy going to the shows once in a while, but what it comes down to is the best Doberman in the world is the one laying at your feet that loves you unconditionally, maybe drives you crazy occasionally, but more often makes you smile, and thinks you are the best human in the world.  :)

Sorry we've so thoroughly hi-jacked your thread, Stef!

#40 Arda

Arda

Alpha White

• SCD Staff - Arda
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,809 posts

Posted 06 June 2015 - 07:11 PM

Omi was shipped from Germany and has a German registry but sire is Russian and I believe the darn is Croatian.  Working dog and he sure should have never ended up here.  I love to watch him sail around this yard.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users