• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Max's Mom

Max's Mom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 02:52 PM

I currently have a 3 yr old cat - rescued when she was weeks old. She's a quiet & can be timid kitty. Hiding from company under the bed until they leave, hides when the doorbell rings, etc. But on her own she's playful and loving. Plays tag with me, has the "happy feet"/kneeding purring. I have adopted a young male Dobe from the Madison WI Dane County Humane Society on 3/22/10. He was a stray brought in. He was in the shelter for 11 days before I adopted him. I currently have him blocked off in my lower level with a baby gate across the stairs. He can't get upstairs yet the cat and the dog can see and smell each other without the cat feeling like she's going to be chased. While I am in this area with the Max/Dobe the cat/Lucy has let herself into his area. Of course I held his collar and allowed Lucy to move around the room on her own. Of course Max was very excited and pulling to get a closer look...and whimpering and crying. Another night he was laying on one side of me while Lucy came down and I allowed a closer look for both of them. Being a dog he wanted to sniff her bumm and she wanted nothing of it and ran. That excited Max more and lunged. My cat has been an only child. Max's history is unknown. Please help me introduce them correctly and help me teach Max to leave Lucy so she can live her life as she has been. I will not allow stress affect her. Thanks so much for all help and advise!! : ) I don't want to re-correct a mistake taking the process backwards.

Edited by Max's Mom, 03 April 2010 - 02:54 PM.

#2 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 03:12 PM

I think you are going about this in a safe way. As time goes on, maybe put Max on a leash in the "living areas" of the house, and let the cat have run of the house. They usually find places where the dog can't get to them, if they need to run and hide. I know if the cat starts to run, and the dog is off-leash, the dog is going to give chase for sure. The gate you have up will protect Lucy, but allow Max to sniff her, and get used to having her around. The first week is always a challenge! LOL

Linda

Edited by LStevens, 07 April 2010 - 09:09 PM.

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ... I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man.
-------------------------
Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Sugar Bear 06/18/2017
Shadow a/k/a Little Snoopy
SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)
Greta Von Reiman (1972-1984)

#3 Nancy Robinson

Nancy Robinson

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 03 April 2010 - 06:04 PM

They will do alright, just takes time. It's really good you
have the gate, in a couple of weeks or a week it will
probably will be much better, good luck LOL :Waiting:
Nancy

"Until one has LOVED AN ANIMAL, part of
their SOUL REMAINS UNAWAKENED"

"
Yesterday is "HISTORY", Today is a "GIFT" and Tomorrow is a "MYSTERY"

"Always always try to be the" BEST YOU CAN BE"

Do not walk in front of me - I may not follow.
Do not walk behind me - I may not lead.
But walk beside me - and be my friend.

May you always have Love to Share
Health to Spare
and Friends who Care

Forever locked in my Heart

"I CARRY YOUR HEARTS IN MY HEART"........FOREVER

My "WHITE ANGEL".....Sweet sweet Schaudeh
4/17/1999...............5/14/2013
My "Bounty Hunter"
11/6/2000.......8/3/2009
My "Miks Von Rom Mateese"
7/6/1990..........4/4/1999

"I LOVED you yesterday, I LOVE you today, and I will LOVE you tomorrow'"
for you have never really left me

#4 dayzimae

dayzimae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:34 AM

We (my housemate and I) have four cats with four different personalities, one quite timid. There is a gate that allow the timid one access to my housemate's private rooms and also the downstairs. When Sophia came, she was somewhat aggressive toward the cats -- the other three weren't afraid, and even swatted her in the face, and Buddy just ran off. Over the period of six months he has begun to follow the example of the other three cats and just watches her as she charges across the floor. I think it just takes time, and as long as the cat is able to retreat to a safe place, all should be well. :hug: :Phbbbt: :Waiting:
Rene (short for Marion Irene)

Love me, love my dog(s) (cats and goats)

If possible, live peaceably with all creatures

#5 Max's Mom

Max's Mom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:06 AM

We (my housemate and I) have four cats with four different personalities, one quite timid. There is a gate that allow the timid one access to my housemate's private rooms and also the downstairs. When Sophia came, she was somewhat aggressive toward the cats -- the other three weren't afraid, and even swatted her in the face, and Buddy just ran off. Over the period of six months he has begun to follow the example of the other three cats and just watches her as she charges across the floor. I think it just takes time, and as long as the cat is able to retreat to a safe place, all should be well. :hug: :Phbbbt: :Waiting:

#6 Max's Mom

Max's Mom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 11:08 AM

Thank-you so much for taking the time to share your experience and tips! It means a lot to me and so want to do this the right way : ) My kitty doesn't have an example to follow and no claws for the first swipe so you can understand my worries : )

#7 Cheri

Cheri

Advanced Member

• Sponsor
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,774 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 01:40 PM

Welcome to the SCD discussion board! I'm not a cat owner, so I don't have any advice on introducing dogs and cats, but I just wanted to say congratulations on your new family member and thank you for opening your home to two rescued animals, Max and Lucy. Sounds like the gist of the advice given is to give it some time and take things one day at a time, always making sure that Lucy has a means of escape if necessary. Baby gates are always helpful in keeping dogs out of areas you don't want them to be in. I haven't checked, but I bet there are books out there on this very subject, getting dogs and cats to live in harmony, and you may also be able to find some forums on the internet that specifically address that situation. Good luck to you and I hope you'll keep us posted.

Currently part of my treasured family and helping to make life fun and busy:

Hunter, the chocolate Labradeagle (or Beaglador)

Terra, the tall, gorgeous red Doberwoman

Waiting at the Bridge and forever in my heart...... Igor, Max, Savanna, Logan, and Tasha

#8 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 09:06 PM

Sounds like the gist of the advice given is to give it some time and take things one day at a time, always making sure that Lucy has a means of escape if necessary.

Exactly right! If you look at my posting on Ticks and Mailboxes (General Discussion), the picture of Betty was in response to my cat, Joe, whom she took an instant dislike to. She actually attacked him two times. Now, they are best friends. All things take time! She really does look like the devil dog!!

Linda

Edited by LStevens, 07 April 2010 - 09:10 PM.

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated ... I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man.
Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)

#9 Max's Mom

Max's Mom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:21 PM

Exactly right! If you look at my posting on Ticks and Mailboxes (General Discussion), the picture of Betty was in response to my cat, Joe, whom she took an instant dislike to. She actually attacked him two times. Now, they are best friends. All things take time! She really does look like the devil dog!!

Linda

#10 Max's Mom

Max's Mom

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 April 2010 - 06:23 PM

Linda,
How did you get Betty from disliking Joe to the point of best friends? What methods - tips can you share? Thanks bunches! : )

#11 LStevens

LStevens

Advanced Member

• Volunteer Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 07:09 AM

When Betty first came to us, she was very territorial regarding food and rawhides. Our problems arose with Joe due to us giving Betty attention, and the cat coming over in the midst of it. I had to keep a close eye on Betty, and watch for Joe lurking around. Betty literally snatched Joe off the arm of the sofa one time. Like Dayzimae said, just make sure the cat has an escape route. Time and a watchful eye will take care of the problem. One of my other cats came to us declawed, and our male Beagle was fascinated with her; always wanted to chase her. She eventually just charged and cuffed him, and that put an end to that! Hang in there.

Never To Be Forgotten

SCD's Betty Boo
SCD's Grindle
Bart (1993-1998)
Gunnar (1986-1992)
Sigmund (1975-1985)

#12 Karen A

Karen A

Advanced Member

• SCD Staff
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,526 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:35 PM

Welcome to the board! I have a houseful of animals and all get along well so I feel very blessed. Dobermans are a naturally protective breed of dog so they should embrace what they feel is part of their "pack", be it cats, chickens, bunnies, anything. I introduce my animals by holding the chicken or bunny in my lap and allowing the dog to sniff it. If they get too excited, give them a correction. Make the dog lay down next to you (on the floor of course) and share treats amongst both animals. It has to be made clear that the cat is part of the pack. Maybe keep a leash on Max when in the house so you can make corrections easier and quicker. It's true though that the cat becomes "prey" if it takes off running and the dog's instincts kick in to chase. If you're holding Lucy, she can't run and it makes her appear higher in the pack by being on your alpha lap. Do not allow Max on furniture or beds as this will make him think he is above the other packmates. I think in time you'll have a harmonious household :doberman:
Attached File  DSC01214.JPG   834.25KB   0 downloads
We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare, and the love we can spare. And, in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made.
-M. Acklam

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users